Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

sneakyfrog posted:

sooo where does windows 10 professional for workstations fit into that

Its the same as home but you can join a domain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

GreenNight posted:

PDQ Inventory is pretty great.

We hired a consultant to setup our SCCM environment. I'd rather pay the guy who's done it 30+ times than spend the days or weeks figuring it out myself.

This is the way to go, much easier learning the vagaries of system center once it’s setup correctly. Probably you’re going to break it at some point, I know I did, but knowing where you need to end up makes doing the second installation yourself much more doable

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

sneakyfrog posted:

sooo where does windows 10 professional for workstations fit into that

Far as I can tell, its 10 Enterprise with a power plan which has any power saving stuff turned off for OMG MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE. I get the feeling it is for more realtime systems.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's the CPU core and RAM limits which are the main differences I think

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Our Kaspersky renewal is up. Price has gone up a bit (we're going through Dell)

Should we try another reseller?

Should we ditch Kaspersky and go with something else? Which one?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I like webroot

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

If you’re an O365 shop, check out Defender ATP

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

oh man I never saw this thread before, so here's an abridged version of a conversation I had with my favorite client.

:argh: While our systems are down we are losing 100k AN HOUR!!!! FIX IT
:toot: Well, your drobo storage took a poo poo because, well I dunno, it's a black box and you refused to buy a support contract, luckily we get a free 30-day trial so I am working with them.
:argh: I have lost 400K ALREADY TODAY BECAUSE WE HAVE BEEN DOWN FOR 2 HOURS!
:toot: We're working on it, but if you would like to not have this problem I do recommend upgrading your storage to something that is not a giant heap of poo poo
:argh: I'M SENDING EVERYONE HOME BECAUSE YOU CAN'T FIX IT
:toot: ok?

2 hours later

:toot: it is now fixed, no data lost, you'll be ready to go tomorrow, I've tested everything and all VMs are operating as expected (really lovely)
:angel: Thanks for all your help!
:toot: So because of all your lost revenue today, I do recommend buying a support contract or, more preferably, a device such as an HP SAN instead of a consumer level NAS
:angel: Nah too much money
:toot: but you supposedly lost half a million dollars today, a SAN will only cost you a fraction of that
:angel: have a nice day!

:derp::fuckoff:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hope you charged them a ton

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MF_James posted:

oh man I never saw this thread before, so here's an abridged version of a conversation I had with my favorite client.

:toot: Well, your drobo storage took a poo poo because, well I dunno, it's a black box and you refused to buy a support contract, luckily we get a free 30-day trial so I am working with them.
:toot: We're working on it, but if you would like to not have this problem I do recommend upgrading your storage to something that is not a giant heap of poo poo

2 hours later

:toot: it is now fixed, no data lost, you'll be ready to go tomorrow, I've tested everything and all VMs are operating as expected (really lovely)
:toot: So because of all your lost revenue today, I do recommend buying a support contract or, more preferably, a device such as an HP SAN instead of a consumer level NAS
:toot: but you supposedly lost half a million dollars today, a SAN will only cost you a fraction of that

Been here, done that. Usually the other way around though. Usually I'm recommending the later part before the former happens, and then writing an "I-told-you-so" contract when I fix it for them.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Bob Morales posted:

Hope you charged them a ton

Well I work at an MSP, so I don't charge poo poo, but I can tell you it's EXTREMELY likely that we make zero dollars on this client and, in fact, probably lose money with the amount of time the highest paid people (myself, our architect and a few other people) have to spend on them.

CommieGIR posted:

Been here, done that. Usually the other way around though. Usually I'm recommending the later part before the former happens, and then writing an "I-told-you-so" contract when I fix it for them.

Oh no, we told them multiple times that the thing was garbage and they should have a support contract at the very least or something is going to go wrong, but I definitely made a point of it during the outage to bring it up again.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 15, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What is it with MSP owners being unable to sack worthless sacks of poo poo clients simply because they've "been with them a long time"

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Thanks Ants posted:

What is it with MSP owners being unable to sack worthless sacks of poo poo clients simply because they've "been with them a long time"

YOU DON'T WANT TO LOSE YOUR WORST CLIENTS!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Reference maybe idk

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Depending on the size of the MSP, a lot of business is referral based, not cold-calls, and firing a client is almost always most expensive long-term unless you're losing cash by the boatload on them. The best way to get rid of those problem clients is continue to raise your rates every 6 months until they leave and write every single CYA email you could ever possibly need on things you warned them about.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Digital_Jesus posted:

Depending on the size of the MSP, a lot of business is referral based, not cold-calls, and firing a client is almost always most expensive long-term unless you're losing cash by the boatload on them. The best way to get rid of those problem clients is continue to raise your rates every 6 months until they leave and write every single CYA email you could ever possibly need on things you warned them about.

People who are good with computers who want to be their own boss but horrible social\interpersonal skills.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

My last boss was just too nice to ever drop a client. He could barely even bring himself to raise rates on clients that had been on the same contact for years.

There's a reason his company isn't making much money, despite being one of the only good local MSPs.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
This seems like the most relevant thread for my question:

I'm a board member of a very small non-profit. Because of shenanigans we're moving offices and I've learned that we're paying $300 a month for phone and internet. Anyway we only get about a phone call a day so we'd like to drop the phone service entirely but keep the office phone number, and have it forward to the exec director's cell phone

So any recommendations for a call forwarding service that will let us port our existing number, isn't too complicated, isn't too expensive, etc.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd probably just get a RingCentral account for ease of use, and then port the number to them.

https://success.ringcentral.com/articles/en_US/RC_Knowledge_Article/5-10-Transferring-your-Phone-Number-to-RingCentral-Number-Porting

You can then buy a handset that works over the Internet if you decide to do that later, add extra extensions etc.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 16, 2018

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

MF_James posted:

2 hours later

I love the ‘we’re losing a massive amount of $ per second fix it!!!!!’ thing. It’s always inflated bullshit and there’s this weird relation where the dollar amount seems to be proportional with the amount of penny pinching over your measly hourly rate after you fix it (which should be peanuts compared to the massive amount of money they’re supposedly making every single hour during normal operation)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:argh: I run my online business from my house, this downtime on my residential DSL service is costing me money

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Old Binsby posted:

I love the ‘we’re losing a massive amount of $ per second fix it!!!!!’ thing. It’s always inflated bullshit and there’s this weird relation where the dollar amount seems to be proportional with the amount of penny pinching over your measly hourly rate after you fix it (which should be peanuts compared to the massive amount of money they’re supposedly making every single hour during normal operation)
We did an upgrade over the weekend, everything seemed fine. I tested three computers with reboots and logons and it worked as intended.

I got in at 0715 on monday, said hi to three of the customers who sat down to chat for a while, while i got coffee and started working on other items.
45 minutes later i hear that those three couldn't logon (and atleast one had tried to before i got in) because of issues from the upgrade, then it turns out noone could logon. (their regular hours are 0730 to 1600).
I started working on it and we had it all fixed after two hours, 45 minutes of them was to find out what had broken and how we could fix it, then less than five minutes per computer to fix it.

They sent us a bill, itemized for each employee and how long they had been "unable to work".
Their phones still worked, they had access to email both in the phone and via owa. The only thing they did not have access to was their ERP (i know that that is a huge bit of their daily use)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Presumably the contract they sign with you means that you can just laugh that bill away

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

This seems like the most relevant thread for my question:

I'm a board member of a very small non-profit. Because of shenanigans we're moving offices and I've learned that we're paying $300 a month for phone and internet. Anyway we only get about a phone call a day so we'd like to drop the phone service entirely but keep the office phone number, and have it forward to the exec director's cell phone

So any recommendations for a call forwarding service that will let us port our existing number, isn't too complicated, isn't too expensive, etc.

In addition to ringcentral, take a look at grasshopper and ooma.

SisterFister
Oct 31, 2005

I'm sure you and your 37 dollars will prove to be quite the legal sensation
I'm not sure if this is something that deserves its own thread, but I'm glad I found this thread because I manage something like 90 users by myself. I was sort of thrown into the job with enough technical knowledge to manage, but no IT Management history whatsoever and I've sorta made everything up as I go along.

Anyway, my question is: what do you use for storage and organization? I'm trying to get my cube more organized. I have a big messy drawer full of random cables, lots of little spare items like speakers and mice, and a ton of random odds and ends. I tried to look for any sort of help online but obviously searching things like 'IT storage' and 'IT organization' direct me to completely different things. I'm obviously not looking for full-size racks and things like that since they have to fit in my cubicle.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Step 1: Not be in a cubicle.
Step 2: Buy plastic bins and label them.
Step 3: Have an "inventory" closet for the big stuff.
Step 4: Get rid of anything you can get rid of.

SisterFister
Oct 31, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Step 1: Not be in a cubicle.
Step 2: Buy plastic bins and label them.
Step 3: Have an "inventory" closet for the big stuff.
Step 4: Get rid of anything you can get rid of.

I addressed Step 1 but they didn't have any offices to offer, so instead they gave me an extra cubicle that I now use for system testing. Space is now less of an issue but I still need to get better organized. Thank you for the tips!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Manage 90 users by myself and from a cubicle? Yeah I’d punch my own face

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Do not keep “lots of spare items”

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, one IT person for 90 users is hella crazy. Probably a more tech-intensive industry, but we have ten IT people for ~200 users.

Make your spares fit your space. Prioritize the things that are genuinely mission-critical and frequently need to be replaced. But outside of your office, you should definitely have a (preferably locked) storage area somewhere for your tech stuff.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Put all your spare parts in the cloud

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You gotta be ruthless with spares - if it's something you'd be embarrassed to hand out to somebody due to the age or condition then just toss it out. There's no point piling up a ton of decade-old PC speakers and headphones in the event somebody needs to watch a webinar, just have them buy something off Amazon and expense it. gently caress tracking inventory of that sort of stuff.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

You gotta be ruthless with spares - if it's something you'd be embarrassed to hand out to somebody due to the age or condition then just toss it out. There's no point piling up a ton of decade-old PC speakers and headphones in the event somebody needs to watch a webinar, just have them buy something off Amazon and expense it. gently caress tracking inventory of that sort of stuff.

I agree with this 100%. Keeping new spares for anything that a user touches is a good idea. Don't reuse keyboards, mice, mouse pads, headphones - nothing. That poo poo's gross and it makes you look like a stingy, goony gently caress. And I've ran into too many places that do that. I literally walk up to a user's desk with the stuff still in the wrapping and throw away the old hardware in front of them.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Internet Explorer posted:

I agree with this 100%. Keeping new spares for anything that a user touches is a good idea. Don't reuse keyboards, mice, mouse pads, headphones - nothing. That poo poo's gross and it makes you look like a stingy, goony gently caress. And I've ran into too many places that do that. I literally walk up to a user's desk with the stuff still in the wrapping and throw away the old hardware in front of them.

I usually drop the box off at their desk and tell them to throw the old piece out or take it home. I'm not touching that garbage.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I work for a non-profit so it's hard to convince people to spend on stuff like that unless you have someone at almost the highest level of the company who is an advocate for New Stuff. Y'all aren't wrong though, it probably does end up costing more in the long run to both store and hand out garbage.

Video cables though, hold them, forever.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If your spares aren't in a state where you can hand them out to a C-level then it's pointless having them - what are you going to say "sorry, don't have any keyboards that aren't crusty"? Keeping stock in different conditions depending on who it's for is also dumb (assuming one of the areas you support isn't a steel mill).

SisterFister
Oct 31, 2005

Thank you for all the advice, this is helpful. I'm lucky to be somewhere that my small purchases aren't scrutinized (and even new systems rarely are), so handing out new peripherals isn't a big deal.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We're a manufacturing company so I give no fucks about handing out old rear end keyboards to computers that sit on the shop floor getting all hosed.

The worst is when you get back gross sticky laptops. Am I supposed to throw out this $1800 6 month old laptop?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Get laptops where the keyboards are an easily serviced part and replace the keyboards when they come back from someone. Consider it a cost of business.

The rest of the case should clean up OK with some foam cleaner. Back in my intern days I used to have a decent enough relationship with our PC supplier that requesting new packs of rubber feet and screws wasn't ever chargeable. I have very strong opinions on not handing people beat up poo poo on their first day at your company.

It's not really an issue I have to deal with any more, but even if it was most of our staff are employed for longer than the user hardware lifecycle anyway.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We're too loving cheap. I'll keep sniffing and using rubbing alcohol.

The best is when you get back laptops with NRA sticks that are a nightmare to remove. I had to send out an email on that one.