Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Oakland Martini posted:

I am going on a road trip from Kalispell, MT to Denver, CO during the last week of August and the first week of September, and I am trying to get my itinerary settled now because my parents want to meet up with me for part of it. I plan to visit Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Rocky Mountain National Parks for 2 days each, and I'd like to know what the best hikes in each park are. Any suggestions on this front would be very helpful. Also, I would welcome suggestions for any other great hiking outside of the parks along this route. Thanks!

Two of my favorite hikes on the planet are

High line route in glacier park

Wild basin trailhead in Estes

Maroon Bells or Pikes peak are good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
+1 on Wild Basin.

Ouzel lake route is fun. Thunder lake route is fun with the added bonus of doing the scramble up the Boulder grand pass and walking along the continental divide.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
WIld Basin in RMNP was really nice. If you don't mind a long day, going up to snowbank lake is an amazing experience. 15mi RT with 4500' of elevation gain. They have backcountry campsites near there that would make a nice two day trip as well.

E: apparently missed the last page here and was beaten twice!

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Another really fun drive in RMNP is Old Fall River Road, you can get out and do some small hikes along the way to, if traffic isn't bad. It should be open in August/September (I think).

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Table Mountain, near Beacon Rock in Washington

Those carbon fiber poles worked out fine, thanks. We did about 14 miles, most of the way to the summit, and one mile or so was on steep slopes with deep snow. Kind of sucked, but we made it to a nice spot for lunch!

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Oakland Martini posted:

I am going on a road trip from Kalispell, MT to Denver, CO during the last week of August and the first week of September, and I am trying to get my itinerary settled now because my parents want to meet up with me for part of it. I plan to visit Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Rocky Mountain National Parks for 2 days each, and I'd like to know what the best hikes in each park are. Any suggestions on this front would be very helpful. Also, I would welcome suggestions for any other great hiking outside of the parks along this route. Thanks!

Grand Teton: Lake Solitude inside the park, Table Mountain outside the park.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Ropes4u posted:

Two of my favorite hikes on the planet are

High line route in glacier park

Wild basin trailhead in Estes

Maroon Bells or Pikes peak are good too.

Highline is one of the best hikes in North America, and is probably my favorite in the US.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Alamoduh posted:

Highline is one of the best hikes in North America, and is probably my favorite in the US.

Ok, you convinced me. My only reservation is that it's probably really busy when I can go in August, right?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Tsyni posted:

Ok, you convinced me. My only reservation is that it's probably really busy when I can go in August, right?

We have rarely seen anyone for long along the trail. I think you are underestimating how lazy most people are, in my experience the trailhead can be packed and by mile 3 you are alone. Wild basin has parking attendants (rangers) now and then but after 30-40 minutes we will feel like we are alone.

To be fair some have little kids, but most are lazy.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
No one here mentioned the Enchantments lottery and it's already closed. gently caress me I checked one week too late. :bang:

Where I turned around yesterday, avalanches being "moderate below treeline".

And in case you can't tell, that's supposed to be the flat fs road over to those trees covered by a crest of slidey/blowy/fluffy snow, on a south facing slope.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 11, 2018

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008
Refugee from the great account hijacking of 2008
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Highline is definitely on the list for GNP. Still looking for Yellowstone suggestions.... Thinking about Specimen Ridge although that's a pretty long hike.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Tsyni posted:

Yeah it's not going to be bad. I mean, it's like 12 miles long, and you'll definitely be running across other people, but it's not like the density of people who are all trying to go out on the ledge of Angel's Landing or anything.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Ropes4u posted:

We have rarely seen anyone for long along the trail. I think you are underestimating how lazy most people are, in my experience the trailhead can be packed and by mile 3 you are alone. Wild basin has parking attendants (rangers) now and then but after 30-40 minutes we will feel like we are alone.

To be fair some have little kids, but most are lazy.

Wild basin is packed with families and day trippers up until Copeland Falls (a decent waterfall @ 0.3 miles). After that you have a few hardy day trippers up o Ouzel falls (2.7 miles). Beyond that you will see next to nobody. I can't recommend enough how nice it is once you get up to the alpine lakes. This one below is Snowbank Lake in August:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Wild basin is packed with families and day trippers up until Copeland Falls (a decent waterfall @ 0.3 miles). After that you have a few hardy day trippers up o Ouzel falls (2.7 miles). Beyond that you will see next to nobody. I can't recommend enough how nice it is once you get up to the alpine lakes. This one below is Snowbank Lake in August:

I did Finch and Pear Lake in August, and that was our experience too. Lot of cars parked at the trailheads for both Finch and Wild Basin, a decent amount of people on the trail until the fork where you can go to Calypso Cascades, but then we didn't see anybody until we got to Pear Lake and there were 2 people sitting by the water.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
alpine lakes are the best

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Levitate posted:

alpine lakes are the best

Agreed.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

No one here mentioned the Enchantments lottery and it's already closed. gently caress me I checked one week too late. :bang:

I'm thankful I had it marked on my google calendar to apply because after 8 long years I finally got a lottery permit!!!!

I'm thrilled! I've been waiting to get one for so long. I didnt get a core zone permit though, just one for the Eightmile/Caroline Zone. So I'm not %100 sure that I'll take it. Researching hikes and discussing with my hiking friends now.

Oakland Martini posted:

I really enjoyed the Hellroaring Canyon hike in Yellowstone, but that place is huge and has a ton of good spots.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm thankful I had it marked on my google calendar to apply because after 8 long years I finally got a lottery permit!!!!

I'm thrilled! I've been waiting to get one for so long. I didnt get a core zone permit though, just one for the Eightmile/Caroline Zone. So I'm not %100 sure that I'll take it.

Eightmile isn’t as popular as Colchuck/Core and not connected either but should still be a beauty of a trip. I did NOT get a permit this year but I’ve been lucky in the past and had Core permits 3 years in a row. This year, I’m planning a thru hike day trip.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Braincloud posted:

Eightmile isn’t as popular as Colchuck/Core and not connected either but should still be a beauty of a trip. I did NOT get a permit this year but I’ve been lucky in the past and had Core permits 3 years in a row. This year, I’m planning a thru hike day trip.

I'm worried that the recent wildfires have really done a number on it, and that I might be better off waiting another couple of years before going. In looking at maps and trying to get info on it I'm having a hard time finding campsite info. It says you need to stay at marked sites, but I cant find where exactly those are. Unless its just dispersed camping which would kind of make sense since it is US Forest land.

Im more worried about crowds the more I read up on this too, seems like we could be elbow to elbow with people even a couple of miles from the trailhead.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
The place is way too popular. :( I've never been there but could probably do a thru hike with the buddy. Tons of people really only use the permits because they can't manage Aasgard followed by anything else, which is unfortunate because it means very few of the passes, relatively speaking, are getting used for multiday trips to the various peaks surrounding the core, which are less possible as day trips.

I've never been there but the stories I've heard really tell the tale. I don't know how many S&R calls there are (for exhaustion, minor injuries, etc), and even experienced outdoors people have accidents, but this is one of those situations where I'm an elitist. "Just go do an overnight at Snow Lake or day hikes to any of the hundreds of accessible lakes". You can look at pictures of the Enchantments. Stay off my mountains.

tldr: It's me, I'm the terrible person.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The enchantments are a 206er honeypot to keep people out of everywhere else.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
You can snag Dragontail and Little Annapurna in a really long day from the Colchuck TH (not ideal but I’ve done it).

But yeah, to be able to explore McClellan or climb Prusik, a Core permit is the way to go. Also, just being able to stay in the upper or middle basin makes exploring that whole area a lot more convenient than running laps up and down Asgard.

Coming in from Snow is just dumb.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've never been there but the stories I've heard really tell the tale. I don't know how many S&R calls there are (for exhaustion, minor injuries, etc), and even experienced outdoors people have accidents, but this is one of those situations where I'm an elitist. "Just go do an overnight at Snow Lake or day hikes to any of the hundreds of accessible lakes". You can look at pictures of the Enchantments. Stay off my mountains.

tldr: It's me, I'm the terrible person.

n8r posted:

The enchantments are a 206er honeypot to keep people out of everywhere else.

This is what I keep reading. It looks amazing but I'm use to being able to hike 5 miles in and not see anyone. If its as crowded as they say I may skip the trip and try for some other Glacier permits instead this year.

Braincloud posted:

You can snag Dragontail and Little Annapurna in a really long day from the Colchuck TH (not ideal but I’ve done it).

But yeah, to be able to explore McClellan or climb Prusik, a Core permit is the way to go. Also, just being able to stay in the upper or middle basin makes exploring that whole area a lot more convenient than running laps up and down Asgard.

Coming in from Snow is just dumb.

I might try and just do like 2-3 days exploring Eightmile, Stuart and Colchuck and then go up and down Windy Pass and spend another couple of days in the other side hiking and fishing trout creek and trying to make it over to Klonaqua lakes or something. Seems like a huge cool area to explore really.

Can any recommend any good books or sites for that area? So far I've just been trying to poke around on CalTopo looking up areas then searching in NWhikers forums.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm worried that the recent wildfires have really done a number on it, and that I might be better off waiting another couple of years before going. In looking at maps and trying to get info on it I'm having a hard time finding campsite info. It says you need to stay at marked sites, but I cant find where exactly those are. Unless its just dispersed camping which would kind of make sense since it is US Forest land.

Im more worried about crowds the more I read up on this too, seems like we could be elbow to elbow with people even a couple of miles from the trailhead.

Personally, I wouldn't really want a permit in colchuck, especially on a weekend. Colchuck during peak season feels like Lake Havasu on spring break. It was crowded, loud, and the trail was packed. There were a lot of day hikers blasting music, dogs (even though they aren't allowed). When we were there last year, there was a big issue with day hikers going up to colchuck lake, setting up a day camp in the established sites, but when people with overnight permits came through, everything was being used and they had nowhere to set up camp. They would have to wait for day hikers to break down and leave, sometimes not until sunset/after dark. Rangers were pretty stern though, they were going through all/most sites and looking at permits. I spoke with them for a few minutes and they said they send 2 rangers every/every other day on a through hike to check permits on everyone with a pack/tent. Stuart was also sort of busy, seemed like people who all picked it as their last resort option.

I don't really consider stuart lake and eightmile part of the enchantments after having been there, they are spurs off the main horseshoe shaped trail that require a lot of backtracking to get up to the core zone which is where everyone wants to be. This is why those permits are easy to get, because it requires so much backtracking (and being forced to sleep in those zones) that most people aren't going to get up to the core zone from Stuart/Eightmile. From Stuart lake you're looking at a ~15 mile round trip day with a lot of elevation gain just to get to the core zone. You have to leave early in the morning, backtrack to Colchuck trail and head up there to the lake, then make your way around, up Asgard pass, walk around the core zone for a bit, maybe have lunch, and then get down Asgard pass, back to camp. Its an all day affair and its exhausting. You have to start early in the morning if you want to get back to camp at a reasonable time but likely in the dark. We thought we were reasonably fast so we ate breakfast and left at 8-9am. We got back to camp around 2am. We only spent about an hour up at the core zone. For Eightmile, you're looking at an even longer trip. For the same distance and effort, just do a through hike of it at that point. I think the through hike is only 19 miles and so long as you don't sleep overnight in the zones you should be fine. I would have to look at a map but my guess would be that from eightmile to asgard pass is probably close to 17-20+ miles RT.

Just say gently caress it and go to Pasayten wilderness. Its possible to not see anyone for a week. Its different terrain for sure but the solitude is unbeatable.

I didn't get a permit this year and I'm kind of thankful. I will gladly try to mark off a few other places on my list this summer.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Verman posted:

Just say gently caress it and go to Pasayten wilderness. Its possible to not see anyone for a week. Its different terrain for sure but the solitude is unbeatable.

This is good. The WTA is focusing on maintaining the Boundary Trail the next couple of years, which is already a world class backpacking trip with the burn areas and downfall issues. The only people you're going to see anywhere not on the PCT are outfitters taking horses up to a couple of the lakes, and the peak bagging opportunities are crazy.

Alternatively everyone go to the Olympics.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I've been into 8 mile and it's super pretty. On a weekend it'll have a fair number of people, so just be prepared for that and don't let it ruin a good time. I think spending a few days there is a fine idea going up to Windy Pass looks neat.

edit: If you want to go to random other places you could go to Holden Village via spider meadows or check out the Chelan Sawtooth wilderness - there is nobody out there.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

n8r posted:

I've been into 8 mile and it's super pretty. On a weekend it'll have a fair number of people, so just be prepared for that and don't let it ruin a good time. I think spending a few days there is a fine idea going up to Windy Pass looks neat.

edit: If you want to go to random other places you could go to Holden Village via spider meadows or check out the Chelan Sawtooth wilderness - there is nobody out there.

Eightmile is also a different trailhead about 3/4 mike before the Colchuck/Stuart TH and heads west away from the Core Enchantmants. It really is a pretty separate area.

The Chelan Sawtooths are awesome.

Also, if you want a great hike with lots of peakbagging opportunities, check out Gardner Meadow outside of the Methow. It’s like 10 miles in to this ridiculous meadow and nobody goes out there.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
So I am going to be in Joshua Tree tomorrow for a night. Any good day hikes I should look into that are recommended?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I enjoyed Warren Peak and Mastodon Peak last time I was out there.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Cheesemaster200 posted:

So I am going to be in Joshua Tree tomorrow for a night. Any good day hikes I should look into that are recommended?

The hike to Lost Palms Oasis is nice if you're near the southern end of the park.

The hike up to Ryan Mountain has some spectacular desert views.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Are you also going to be climbing?

I was fortunate to spent a few weeks out there bouldering and climbing a million 20years ago and would suggest you are least give it a shot.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm worried that the recent wildfires have really done a number on it, and that I might be better off waiting another couple of years before going.

On second thought you got an Eightmile permit, you should go see Eightmile Lake before it's gone (or if it's still there): http://www.ncwlife.com/icicle-peshastin-irrigation-district-declares-dam-emergency/

Officer Sandvich fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 17, 2018

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Anyone have a zpacks tent? Thinking of picking up the 3 man/triplex to use myself and partner for hiking. Heard good things but wanted a bit more feed back before I hit go on a tent that is double the price of other tents.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Got my first tick of the new year :thumbsup:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Tai posted:

Anyone have a zpacks tent? Thinking of picking up the 3 man/triplex to use myself and partner for hiking. Heard good things but wanted a bit more feed back before I hit go on a tent that is double the price of other tents.

It's not the tent, but I've got a Zpacks Arc Haul pack, and it's way better than my Osprey Volt or Kelty external in just about every way. I did have a weird issue where one of the cross bracing supports would occasionally pop free, but I reached out to Zpacks, and they fixed it and shipped it back, no questions asked.

If I were to buy a tent, it'd be the duplex, hands down. One of my buddies bought one, and I just can't believe how light and roomy it is. I can't comment on long term durability or ease of setup, but both seem like they shouldn't be an issue. Hope this helps!

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Washington State, arid region, Ancient Lakes, talus slope, mammal, 2-3ft long total, 1ft fuzzy tail, mostly tannish brown, with a big white ring around its belly. Seen once or twice through bad binoculars at 300ft, slowly making its way along the talus then dropping a ways toward the lake before we lost it.

Best I can come up with is a ring tailed cat (as far as size ratio is concerned, but the color is wrong) or a mini red tailed panda (haha, but it wasn't that large). I can't envision a marmot living there and this thing has a larger tail, but maybe a particular type of marmot at that.

Any ideas?

Edit:

Here's a fun link anyway: http://www.burkemuseum.org/research-and-collections/mammalogy/collections/mamwash/rodentia.php#Hoary_Marmot

It looked more like a hoary marmot than a yellow bellied, for example, but shrug.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 19, 2018

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Washington State, arid region, Ancient Lakes, talus slope, mammal, 2-3ft long total, 1ft fuzzy tail, mostly tannish brown, with a big white ring around its belly. Seen once or twice through bad binoculars at 300ft, slowly making its way along the talus then dropping a ways toward the lake before we lost it.

Best I can come up with is a ring tailed cat (as far as size ratio is concerned, but the color is wrong) or a mini red tailed panda (haha, but it wasn't that large). I can't envision a marmot living there and this thing has a larger tail, but maybe a particular type of marmot at that.

Any ideas?

Edit:

Here's a fun link anyway: http://www.burkemuseum.org/research-and-collections/mammalogy/collections/mamwash/rodentia.php#Hoary_Marmot

It looked more like a hoary marmot than a yellow bellied, for example, but shrug.

Wolverine?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I was thinking maybe a fisher? They're about the right size, at least.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Any ideas?

Edit:

Did it look something like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

The Aardvark posted:

I enjoyed Warren Peak and Mastodon Peak last time I was out there.

Ended up doing the panorama loop with a offshoot to warren peak on the second day. The first day I did Ryan Mountain, made the top in like 30 minutes, and then decided to go down the south end over to the California Riding and Hiking Trail. Didn't quite make it there due to the steepness of the hill, and ended up following a wash down to Ryan Ranch.

I camped over at Black Rock Canyon and it was freezing and windy as gently caress. I hardly got any sleep as I kept getting smacked in the face by my tent as it buckled. Woke up covered in sand and dust.