Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Faffel posted:

I love this games kill cam

kamehameha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007
What is up with this games ladder and people not calling out o.O Especially at my poo poo rank*bronze*
I know I'm not godly at this game, and even understand my current rank, though still learning how to advance. Yet a lot of the time, I'm dying cause no-one calling out their deaths/last locations, poo poo I've had better matchs in QP vs what I've been experiencing on the ladder.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Most of the time I'm just throwing out Dokka calls as a precaution to get an idea of the lay of the land, but every so often everything comes together and something like this happens: https://streamable.com/2ld0t

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
The lower rank the worse the team is, that includes worse situation awareness, worse shooting, worse knowledge, and worse teamwork.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Well I have now gotten hit with a game in which I fought the remarkable 2d caveira a glitching monstrosity and a fully invisible echo. So that was a thing

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

ZeusCannon posted:

Well I have now gotten hit with a game in which I fought the remarkable 2d caveira a glitching monstrosity and a fully invisible echo. So that was a thing

Taaake oooon meeee...

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Am I the only one who watches the Pro League for this game? It's fascinating stuff.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I love watching the pros play and I can't wait for the ban system to be implemented.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

The Kingfish posted:

I love watching the pros play and I can't wait for the ban system to be implemented.

I keep hearing that mentioned but I haven't found a good explanation for it. What is the "ban system"?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Please watch this 4 min video of me on my favorite map.

https://youtu.be/-tkp0CvBLkA

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

he1ixx posted:

I keep hearing that mentioned but I haven't found a good explanation for it. What is the "ban system"?
Each team gets to ban two operatives so the other team can't pick them in a given round. Curious how it'd work with only two hard breachers.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Elysiume posted:

Each team gets to ban two operatives so the other team can't pick them in a given round. Curious how it'd work with only two hard breachers.

oh that's fantastic.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Elysiume posted:

To clarify: neither team can pick them. So if Team 1 bans Lion and Mute, and Team 2 bans Hibana and Bandit, that means those four operators are out for the entire duration of the map, for both teams, when attacking and defending.

I imagine we'll see lots of Mira and Lion bans (if Lion doesn't get toned down because he's 100% pickrate at the moment)

The Bananana posted:

LMAO nice work

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 15, 2018

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

To clarify: neither team can pick them. So if Team 1 bans Lion and Mute, and Team 2 bans Hibana and Bandit, that means those four operators are out for the entire duration of the map, for both teams, when attacking and defending.

I imagine we'll see lots of Mira and Lion bans (if Lion doesn't get toned down because he's 100% pickrate at the moment)

Weird, I don't see the benefit of lion at my level of play. Too brief an effect, and too easy to beat. Course, I'm no mlg, so I guess I'm just missing something.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Bananana posted:

Weird, I don't see the benefit of lion at my level of play. Too brief an effect, and too easy to beat. Course, I'm no mlg, so I guess I'm just missing something.

Combine him with literally anything that forces people to move for free wallhacks.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

The Bananana posted:

plant defuser -> push button

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Ah, yeah

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

To be fair, if the defense lets you plant, they have usually already lost.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

The Bananana posted:

Watch last week's games, EG uses him to absolutely brutal effect and not just to defend defuser plants. There's lots of situations where they drone out a defender, cut him off or pressure him, then call in a Lion scan and give them the Sophie's Choice of moving and dying or not moving and dying.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

The Bananana posted:

Jackal and Dokk are fun with him, if you've cleared the Secure Area obj, you can pop it to see where they're trying to approach from. Grabbing a hostage in smoke will let you catch them panicking. I like to use it as someone's trying to rush or if I'm about to peek a window since that'll sometimes catch people and/or make them afraid to get a better peek themselves. There's a few applications for him.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

The Bananana posted:

Sorry, for clarification, could I get some critiquing?
I know I mostly just got lucky.
Can I get some feedback of what I did right and what I did wrong from you guys?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Q: Does the detonation of a wall affect the damage of the detonation? I only ask because impact wallbanging people seems to cause injured a lot of the time, more than just tossing an impact at them.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

The Bananana posted:

Then he's being used incorrectly. His ability makes scared pubbies sit still, so it synergises with Fuze/Ying very well. Lion and Jackal can hunt down and tehminade any roamer with a little co-ordination. Lion, Jackal and Glaz is wallbang city.. any op can be helped by the enemy sitting still. I have a lot of luck with popping his drone and a finnka charge as the team breaches onto OBJ, anchors won't move and get cut up by a decently dispersed attack.

Lion owns.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Shockeh posted:

Q: Does the detonation of a wall affect the damage of the detonation? I only ask because impact wallbanging people seems to cause injured a lot of the time, more than just tossing an impact at them.

I don't think it affects the damage, but it does affect the area - impact grenades detonate only behind what they hit, so if you hit someone, only the parts that are behind what you hit get damaged (like if you hit an arm the legs are probably ok), while if you blow up a wall with it, the entire operator body is damaged cause he can't occupy a space in front of the wall and is counted as "behind" the impact point.
So it doesn't hit harder, but it does hit better.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

always remember proper fire safety

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

The Bananana posted:

I don't think focusing so much on drones early is really worth it, better to just set up reinforcements and jam them. I would also stop running across a room with a wide open window like that, you're asking to be killed.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Bananana posted:

Like moush said, don't worry about killing drones in prep when they're jammed. You can put one jammer each at the top of the stairs, near the railing, then go back to reinforcing. You want everything done before prep finishes to minimize your chance of getting domed while loving around. You also want jammers near windows to the point, to prevent some gadgets and drones. You definitely don't need 3 of them in closet :v:

You got extremely lucky that they didn't kill you at the end though I imagine some of that is just Console Things.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

Twitch with a bun is beyond adorable

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

AppleDan posted:

Twitch with a bun is beyond adorable

Too bad about the whole everything else

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

SpazmasterX posted:

Too bad about the whole everything else

Irrelevant

coke
Jul 12, 2009

he1ixx posted:

Am I the only one who watches the Pro League for this game? It's fascinating stuff.

It is fasinating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gX-UDNe8ZA

*chooses basement in oregon as bombsites*
*setup defence on the second floor*

:shrug:

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007
Question about the ranks.
I'm assuming it rates you on objective completion as well as time? Does it take k/d into it as well? I'm assuming the games were I had multiple leavers/straight up de-ranks( was gold/plat but suddenly silver wtf?) gently caress up the 5 games after my placements and made me sink(I lost like 500-1,000 plus sr/whatever didnt see my first placement). Or is my best bet to just straight up turn this into a death match scenario till I get to gold?

WaffleLove fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 16, 2018

Scarf Ace
Jul 21, 2006

keep it clean

The Bananana posted:

from one console player to another, you should get used to leaning. use it when holding angles, ideally you want only a sliver of the window/door youre holding visible, so you can tap the pixels when they change color with minimal exposure. also maybe turn your sensitivity up, just like 5 or 10% at first and see how it feels

house is a pretty bad map and objective is probably the worst mode so its hard to say how you could have played that differently, esp as your teammates got picked off. having said that,

- if youre looking to stop drones from getting up the 2nd floor completely, you should put a jammer down by the railing corner (attacking drones can jump on top of the bookshelf below and get up that way), but as others have mentioned, stopping drones in prep phase isnt really that crucial

- be wary of the destructible floor when holding the walk in closet, a buck can shoot up the ceiling in kitchen and completely shut you down

- maybe put a mira on one wall facing kids and leave the other one non-reinforced, this will let you hold kids in bomb mode as well as take shots on anyone in the tree house

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

it only calculates your rank against the ranks of your opponents and it gives you rating when you win and deduces rating when you lose. Losing against lower lranks will lose you more ranking points than you get for winning against them.
Nothing else matters.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

Kikas posted:

it only calculates your rank against the ranks of your opponents and it gives you rating when you win and deduces rating when you lose. Losing against lower lranks will lose you more ranking points than you get for winning against them.
Nothing else matters.

That explains the huge dive from silver 4 to bronze 4 after 2 match's of loosing were it was winning, but suddenly turned into a 4v5 after the 2 round, or the 3 games of afk bots :( I just need to get a good win streak to get out makes sense.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

It also avarages your rank across the entire season, meaning that earlier matches award/cost you more rank points then latter. I usually get ~100 points per win/lose during the first month of the season, then it's around ~75 mid season, and the last 2 weeks of a season it's usually ~50 points either way. This is because the system is rigged so the longer you stay in one rank, the more the game thinks this is your "correct" rank, and tries to match you with players closer to it.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007
Hmm. So I should probably not play any more this season or be locked in bronze. The average seems to be 100-90 win/lose for me atm.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You could always just stop caring about the numbers and enjoy the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

You could always just stop caring about the numbers and enjoy the game.

I do. I just notice a decline in gameplay the lower it got for me rank wise :( So getting back up to at least even silver would bring a small change :) QP still my go too as people seem to talk be more chill there any ways.