Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

mattfl posted:

You got it!

Here are the pics I got today

https://imgur.com/a/kYtRa

Awesome pictures, thanks. Was it fun watching Bubba shape shots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Halo14 posted:

Awesome pictures, thanks. Was it fun watching Bubba shape shots?

His drive on 1 literally went right over our heads and landed right in the fairway, had it stayed straight it would have been in someone front yard lol

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Dang, that plain umbrella one is solid. I'll take the Member of Arnie's Army one. $5 incoming.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Had a great front 9, including a birdie on Bay Hill #6 and a hole out for eagle on the Amen Corner par 5!

I hit a drive straight through the fairway, attempted Phil's shot from the pinestraw (but with a 3w instead of a 6i because there was a lot of wind, and also I'm weak af), topped it to 113 yards, then holed the gap wedge for an eagle 3, which is a better score than Phil got on the hole. AMA.

Actually got it to -4 through 11 with a birdie on the mickey mouse par 3, but then my body and brain decided that 4 days of golf was enough.

Forgot how to close out a round! +5 through last 6. 3 putted the Pebble Beach par 5, then took a double on the replica of Oakmont #4 because I couldn't get out of the churchpews. Almost threw my hole bag into the woods. Back started tightening up, and my game just up and left me after that. Started like a champ, finished like a chump.

Because I didn't want to finish the day like that, I tried to play a replay round.

I didn't bother making the turn; I got in my car and left.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

mattfl posted:

His drive on 1 literally went right over our heads and landed right in the fairway, had it stayed straight it would have been in someone front yard lol

Sounds about right. Aim for the crap and shape it back. What a freak.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kameh posted:

Had a great front 9, including a birdie on Bay Hill #6 and a hole out for eagle on the Amen Corner par 5!

I hit a drive straight through the fairway, attempted Phil's shot from the pinestraw (but with a 3w instead of a 6i because there was a lot of wind, and also I'm weak af), topped it to 113 yards, then holed the gap wedge for an eagle 3, which is a better score than Phil got on the hole. AMA.

Actually got it to -4 through 11 with a birdie on the mickey mouse par 3, but then my body and brain decided that 4 days of golf was enough.

Forgot how to close out a round! +5 through last 6. 3 putted the Pebble Beach par 5, then took a double on the replica of Oakmont #4 because I couldn't get out of the churchpews. Almost threw my hole bag into the woods. Back started tightening up, and my game just up and left me after that. Started like a champ, finished like a chump.

Because I didn't want to finish the day like that, I tried to play a replay round.

I didn't bother making the turn; I got in my car and left.

Fatigue, or tilting? When my game goes South, if I'm still having fun, I can get it back. If it's killing my mood, I know better than to keep going.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Fatigue, or tilting? When my game goes South, if I'm still having fun, I can get it back. If it's killing my mood, I know better than to keep going.

He says in the post that "4 days of golf was enough" so I'm going with fatigue.

I remember the first time I played 4 days in a row(Kameh plays a lot so this isn't comparative), it was a disaster. I was probably 3 clubs shorter than I normally would have been on the 4th day. It really puts into perspective what Tour pros do. Granted they're playing almost every day and this is what they condition for but the idea of trying to grind through four days and put up the scores they do on the courses they play is pretty incredible.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

He says in the post that "4 days of golf was enough" so I'm going with fatigue.

I remember the first time I played 4 days in a row(Kameh plays a lot so this isn't comparative), it was a disaster. I was probably 3 clubs shorter than I normally would have been on the 4th day. It really puts into perspective what Tour pros do. Granted they're playing almost every day and this is what they condition for but the idea of trying to grind through four days and put up the scores they do on the courses they play is pretty incredible.

Yeah it takes a toll. I played like 8 rounds in 7 days on a golf trip a few years ago. Man I was sore after that, my feet were the worst tho.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Yeah, definitely fatigue. Physical first, but it was pretty easy to let the mental side go as well.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Halo14 posted:

Have the proposed new Rules of Golf been posted here? Some interesting changes:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-rules-of-golf
In order to streamline and simplify the sport's regulations, there are now 24 rules, down from 34.

Glad all the honest golfers at my home course will only take 5 minutes looking for a ball now instead of the usual 10 :D

Wonder if the spike mark fixing applies to the Professional ranks?

I'm a little disappointed that they backed off on the two inch drop. Dropping from the knees seems like a crappy compromise.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Halo14 posted:

Yeah it takes a toll. I played like 8 rounds in 7 days on a golf trip a few years ago. Man I was sore after that, my feet were the worst tho.
Out curiosity, did you walk or ride, did you have multiple pairs, and what shoes did you wear?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Walked 6 of the 8 rounds. 4 of the 6 were 36 holes in a day as some venues had multiple courses. Green Fees were high enough already without a cart. Think total green fees for the week was $1,100.

8 of us stayed in a house which was 20 mins from all the courses. Drive around in a mini-van and drank way too much each night. Maybe that's why we were so buggered :)

No regrets, some of the most beautiful courses in Australia if not the world.

https://www.nationalgolf.com.au/cms/
https://www.moonahlinks.com.au/cms/
http://www.standrewsbeachgolf.com.au/

Was 6 years ago but I think I had foot-joy shoes.

Played here last year, going back again:

https://barnbougle.com.au/

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 16, 2018

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Halo14 posted:

Walked 6 of the 8 rounds. 4 of the 6 were 36 holes in a day as some venues had multiple courses. Green Fees were high enough already without a cart. Think total green fees for the week was $1,100.

8 of us stayed in a house which was 20 mins from all the courses. Drive around in a mini-van and drank way too much each night. Maybe that's why we were so buggered :)

No regrets, some of the most beautiful courses in Australia if not the world.

https://www.nationalgolf.com.au/cms/
https://www.moonahlinks.com.au/cms/
http://www.standrewsbeachgolf.com.au/

Was 6 years ago but I think I had foot-joy shoes.

Played here last year, going back again:

https://barnbougle.com.au/

Add Cape Schanck to the list if you go that way again. The back nine has crazy views that look out over the National and the ocean and RACV have spent a pile of money on it in the last couple of years.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Too windy to play. Too windy for the driving range, for that matter. Morn-drinking it is, then. Should be well in my cups by the time Tiger tees off.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Jason Day is gonna make watching today excruciating isn't he

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
So gave the Z stars a run today(par event, ended up square), played a little bit longer(5ish metres) than the chromesofts but I wasn't a giant fan of the feel, a little clickier than the chrome softs.

I'm playing again tomorrow so I'll give them one more go anyway, going to be 39 degrees Celsius and 35-45KM/h so should be a good test as long as no bush fires kick off.

Dimebag fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 17, 2018

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Dimebag posted:

So gave the Z stars a run today(par event, ended up square), played a little bit longer(5ish metres) than the chromesofts but I wasn't a giant fan of the feel, a little clickier than the chrome softs.

I'm playing again tomorrow so I'll give them one more go anyway, going to be 39 degrees Celsius and 35-45KM/h so should be a good test as long as no bush fires kick off.

Yeah I played at first light today. Just finished before it got too hot in Sydney. I'm over this weather, seems like summer will never end.

Tried a new Chrome Soft ball today, it was ok but actually felt too hard. Spoiled by the TP5 X I guess. Still got 3 left so I hope they last.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Halo14 posted:

Yeah I played at first light today. Just finished before it got too hot in Sydney. I'm over this weather, seems like summer will never end.

Tried a new Chrome Soft ball today, it was ok but actually felt too hard. Spoiled by the TP5 X I guess. Still got 3 left so I hope they last.

Get a sleeve of the Bridgestone tours. I play the tp5x on and off, and they're a great balance on feel and play for me, but for pure feel and good enough play, the Bridgestone is my current favorite.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Halo14 posted:

Yeah I'm up on the central coast and can't wait for summer to gently caress right off. I think I'll just go back to finding last year's models of chrome softs online 24 balls for the price of a dozen ProVs.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

The commentary about DeChambeau being a physics major, having a computer in his head, thinking about the game in a unique way blah blah blah really gets old fast, I hate when he is in contention.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

The commentary about DeChambeau being a physics major, having a computer in his head, thinking about the game in a unique way blah blah blah really gets old fast, I hate when he is in contention.

If there was any evidence to back up the claim that he was a genius at the game instead of a get rich quick schemer (so to speak), it would be less irritating. But there is substantial evidence to show that he's just walking up the down escalator.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I agree with all the tiresome DeChambeau talk about his single length clubs and all the other nonsense but the dude can play. He seems like he'd be annoying to play with due to all of his weird quirks but his resume says he's a player.

NCAA Champion
US Amateur Champion
T21 and low amateur at The Masters
1 PGA Tour win

I don't particularly like him but he's going to be around for a while and probably win a bunch of tournaments.

Speaking of winning tournaments, Tiger's short game has been absolutely insane the past few weeks. Some of the shots he's pulling out I wouldn't ever even visualize, let alone try and pull off.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I don't mind DeChambeau himself, and I think plenty of amateurs would improve their game if they mimicked some of the stuff he does. But the commentary is unbearable. This must be how Tiger Haters feel lol.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SMU's physics program is ranked like #150 in the nation. There aren't any details about how he was as a student, but he's mentioned in an interview to have had "gotten some C's", there's no mention of him making the Dean's List, and he wasn't an Academic All-American. Sure, he's smarter than your average PGA Tour player, but that doesn't really mean much.

I realize your average American is almost proud of how much math scares them, but the hype about him being a numbers genius is ridiculous.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 18, 2018

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Let's go Tiger Rory!!!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Halo14 posted:

Let's go Tiger Rory!!!
Rory says "gently caress this noise, nobody's won more majors than me in the past 11 years, I'm winning Augusta"

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Augusta is going to be crazy this year. Rory finally back in form and you’re crazy if you don’t think Tiger has a real chance at winning. Tiger/Rory playoff at Augusta please!

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Rory says "gently caress this noise, nobody's won more majors than me in the past 11 years, I'm winning Augusta"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A86605YRENE

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I would appreciate it if they never aired a conversation between Bryson and his caddy again.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mattfl posted:

Augusta is going to be crazy this year. Rory finally back in form and you’re crazy if you don’t think Tiger has a real chance at winning. Tiger/Rory playoff at Augusta please!

No, no. Phil and tiger, final group on Sunday.

And, tiger just said his ob drive was because he planned shot a, and in his head thought shot b, and didn't commit. That's my big mistake, tiger. Call me, I'll tell you how I fail to fix it.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
What a gun Rory is. Averaged 25 putts a round, incredible.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Halo14 posted:

What a gun Rory is. Averaged 25 putts a round, incredible.

Apparently Rory went and talked to Brad Faxon in the past couple weeks and Faxon adjusted Rory's stroke a bit.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Daric posted:

I would appreciate it if they never aired a conversation between Bryson and his caddy again.

I read this and looked up to the TV and Bryson is chatting away...

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

"Air density is..." Shut the gently caress up and hit the shot, you're not going to win anyway.

Happy for Rory, he's a fun dude to watch play golf.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Wow Stenson really didn’t do anything today did he.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

Apparently Rory went and talked to Brad Faxon in the past couple weeks and Faxon adjusted Rory's stroke a bit.

That's a name I haven't heard in a while. Glad it worked for Rory.

Shrapnig posted:

"Air density is..." Shut the gently caress up and hit the shot, you're not going to win anyway.

Happy for Rory, he's a fun dude to watch play golf.

They were actually discussing air density? C'mon...

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Halo14 posted:

That's a name I haven't heard in a while. Glad it worked for Rory.

They were actually discussing air density? C'mon...

Faxon has turned into a putting guru in the last few years. He's considered by a lot of people as the best putter of all time.

Yes, DeChambeau said something like "the air density is 189 so..."

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Air density is a function of temperature and humidity. You should have a baseline distance for average conditions then adjust based on the weather. This should all be automatic. If you have to say it out loud, that makes you dumber, not smarter.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Air density is a function of temperature and humidity. You should have a baseline distance for average conditions then adjust based on the weather. This should all be automatic. If you have to say it out loud, that makes you dumber, not smarter.

He's also considering that when he had a dogshit, against the grain, sitting down in the rough lie to one of the toughest 18th hole pin positions on the PGA Tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Density is proportional to temperature but in Kelvin, not Fahrenheit, which uses the same proportions as Celsius, so 10*F hardly matters. But it especially doesn’t matter today because it’s 83*F and partly cloudy so that’s basically your prototypical conditions.