Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Twat le Piss posted:

lol if you’re such a wet blanket that you actually have an ignore list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twyst
Mar 5, 2005
:O

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Catte's got a very good point, tbh.

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

OUR SNEEZE SHIELDS CANNOT REPEL A HUNGER OF THAT MAGNITUDE
Wait just a goddamn minute.

Derek is black?!

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:
run away run away

https://i.imgur.com/kV9PPpv.mp4

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Admiral Snackbar posted:

Derek is black?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v4CFjrjBxc

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dark Off posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCnYoFNtqnY&t=1975s another ship sale before vulcan sale even ends. constellation phoenix and Several other ships.

(I’m glad you pointed that out. Even if it risks derailing the thread from ritual slapfighting... :) )

Yeah, that does seem noteworthy. I only just started watching ATV but Chris and Sandi hit the ground running as the episode begins with tag-team turbo schlepping, too.

The classic Ben & Sandi era ATV was notably lackadaisical. Breezy and often non-substantive with no real sense of urgency. RTV was an impromptu hangout that hit Wing Commander arcana and other fanboy-only material as often as it brushed off tougher questions about dates “We don’t do ‘When?’ questions guys...”

Yet ATV is now built for purpose as nearly non-stop marketing vehicle — most episodes since Thanksgiving seem to be dropping Call To Actions in and several (the Ship Shape ones) are a cinematic brochure for assets they want to move. RTV and more critically “Calling All Devs” are now very much focused on reassurance, on trustbuilding, on addressing the questions that were flatly rejected two years ago.

In some respects, there’s a healthier seriousness afoot. The amateur hour CIG is less often seen and never the centerpiece. Grizzly Santa schlepping spaceships in the Holiday Livestream was a kooky vestige of the Old Ways but ill-suited for the broader credibility goals of that episode.

The changes are suggestive of heightened seriousness from a leadership body and community team that truly did not give a crap what people either wanted or needed, and now we see a new focus and new bargain underway. ATV has sharpened its focus as a marketing vehicle and RTV / Calling All Devs are intent on what looks to me like reparative work.

It’s all circumstantial but suggestive. It feels like money problems / refund problems / Community frustration problems actually became serious enough that the Roberts Triarchy felt it, that it grew real enough to shake them out of their complacency and course correct. But course corrections tend to be more effective before a crash not after... :iiam: what this all looks like at the detail level but it from a distance and through dark glass it just keeps reinforcing the case for a Phantom Crash.

(Also, I’m hoping if I repeat Phantom Crash often enough VC will add it to the Thread Recap, just so the casual visitors have a frame of reference to be looking for that if they’re checking out the project less frequently...)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 16, 2018

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm a goon now, like it or not.

MoMA!

Bind Culling. 2018 or never?

(VC, please quote the poo poo out of his answer)

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

Admiral Snackbar posted:

Derek is black?!

ish

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Renegret posted:

I'm living my dream by posting dog pictures

https://i.imgur.com/qk8TEFx.gifv

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

trucutru posted:

Nobody has seen Erris and Toast in the sane place and at the same time. And Erris is a mild-mannered, awkward reporter who is extremely unattractive to the opposite sex.

Makes you think.

Toast (actual Toast) is reasonably handsome imo. Not as handsome as Money, but compared to most of the CIGgers, he's hot.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

https://i.imgur.com/lr9qFan.gifv

bonk

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

That's some pretty looking landing gear actuation. I'm almost impressed. Its a shame backers had to wait 5+ years for larger ships animations to start working. Still nothing on the radar that would warrant a crew of more than 1 however :rip:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

that's actually pretty cool, looks like something you'd fight in horizon

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

I give them credit for this. We would of had this 10 hours sooner had chris not needed to write that letter.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Catte As Cochin Can

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

SomethingJones posted:

These are two really loving great points. Especially the movie one. There's a great quote from Terry Gilliam about how Holywood crews these days are devoid of personality and creativity and individuality that fits into this somehow

It's fun to compare the behind the scenes videos from the Star Wars prequels with the ones from the Disney sequels, just to see what things are like 'these days'.

The prequels one are filled with moments, such as the ones Red Letter Media famously pointed out, where you can tell people weren't happy, where Lucas admits 'we've might gone a bit too far in some places', people look shocked after the first viewing of TPM...

Meanwhile, new studios are always like 'No, everything's perfect, we're all a big happy family, we're doing this for the fans, etc. etc.' It's nauseating because there's no real personality and the only creativity is that of a profit-driven committee.

Honestly, I bet you could probably do the same with the LOTR movies and The Hobbit movies.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Sunk Cost Galaxy Episode 4: "none of these have been gifted to all the backers as a thank you for support"

Sandi: "with St. Patrick's Day around the corner we thought it would be the perfect time to bring back this flying party palace and give one away"

Take that goonie. :smuggo:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Is this the first time CIG has given something away that has previously had an actual price tag on it?

I find lots of these weird things telling. We're getting into the cycle where a lot of kickstarters around SC's time are "reaching maturity" and many of them are entering failure throws. The others are all throwing whatever they can at their backers to try and keep them happy or at least mollified until work can be completed.

CIG's response is to try and milk them for more money.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

I'm guessing that you are role-playing a shill, but:

They're not giving one away to all the backers.

It is the grand prize for the Citizen that makes the (chosen by CIG, using whatever arbitrary means) favorite St Patrick's-themed propaganda video.
Outsourcing their marketing now.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

SoftNum posted:

Is this the first time CIG has given something away that has previously had an actual price tag on it?

They gave BoredGamer a Javelin for collecting 15k signups or something. It's no secret that they used to give streamers some ships to !raffle

bootcha's video was more along the lines of 'they never gave everyone a free ship as a thank you for support'
I just found it an interesting coincidence.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Milky Moor posted:

It's fun to compare the behind the scenes videos from the Star Wars prequels with the ones from the Disney sequels, just to see what things are like 'these days'.

The prequels one are filled with moments, such as the ones Red Letter Media famously pointed out, where you can tell people weren't happy, where Lucas admits 'we've might gone a bit too far in some places', people look shocked after the first viewing of TPM...

Meanwhile, new studios are always like 'No, everything's perfect, we're all a big happy family, we're doing this for the fans, etc. etc.' It's nauseating because there's no real personality and the only creativity is that of a profit-driven committee.

Honestly, I bet you could probably do the same with the LOTR movies and The Hobbit movies.

It is kind of a depressing degeneration of method. Using Star Wars as the example:

70s/80s - gently caress, none of this is working - what do we have? The Death Star model split - I have an idea about the gap around the center. The helmets are broken - what can we do? etc. Result: films with some soul to them
90s/2000s - We can CGI everything. Everything I imagine is now on screen. Oops - it's poo poo. Well at least we admitted it's poo poo, but got a few things right. Result: films attempting to capture old magic and failing
2010s - We can CGI everything. Everything we imagine is now on screen. We have copy/pasted every image from the originals without understanding why they became iconic. Everything is perfect! Result: soulless, pointless, forgettable

Games can fall into these categories as well. CIG seems to take the worst from all 3 - nothing works, we don't know what to do about it, everything has to be what Chris imagines, yet Chris doesn't imagine anything. gently caress it - buy more ships.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

CIG sure get their ships right.

Where do I buy? Is US$2,500 going to be enough, or do I need more? Buy ships!

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

G0RF posted:

(I’m glad you pointed that out. Even if it risks derailing the thread from ritual slapfighting... :) )

Yeah, that does seem noteworthy. I only just started watching ATV but Chris and Sandi hit the ground running as the episode begins with tag-team turbo schlepping, too.

The classic Ben & Sandi era ATV was notably lackadaisical. Breezy and often non-substantive with no real sense of urgency. RTV was an impromptu hangout that hit Wing Commander arcana and other fanboy-only material as often as it brushed off tougher questions about dates “We don’t do ‘When?’ questions guys...”

Yet ATV is now built for purpose as nearly non-stop marketing vehicle — most episodes since Thanksgiving seem to be dropping Call To Actions in and several (the Ship Shape ones) are a cinematic brochure for assets they want to move. RTV and more critically “Calling All Devs” are now very much focused on reassurance, on trustbuilding, on addressing the questions that were flatly rejected two years ago.

In some respects, there’s a healthier seriousness afoot. The amateur hour CIG is less often seen and never the centerpiece. Grizzly Santa schlepping spaceships in the Holiday Livestream was a kooky vestige of the Old Ways but ill-suited for the broader credibility goals of that episode.

The changes are suggestive of heightened seriousness from a leadership body and community team that truly did not give a crap what people either wanted or needed, and now we see a new focus and new bargain underway. ATV has sharpened its focus as a marketing vehicle and RTV / Calling All Devs are intent on what looks to me like reparative work.

It’s all circumstantial but suggestive. It feels like money problems / refund problems / Community frustration problems actually became serious enough that the Roberts Triarchy felt it, that it grew real enough to shake them out of their complacency and course correct. But course corrections tend to be more effective before a crash not after... :iiam: what this all looks like at the detail level but it from a distance and through dark glass it just keeps reinforcing the case for a Phantom Crash.

(Also, I’m hoping if I repeat Phantom Crash often enough VC will add it to the Thread Recap, just so the casual visitors have a frame of reference to be looking for that if they’re checking out the project less frequently...)

I think your phantom crash theory has credence to it. One thing that I couldn’t understand (and still can’t understand) was the sudden release of 3.0 to PTU from evocati.

An email to subscribers/concierge leaks out during evocati saying that 3.0 is ‘nearing PTU’ and should be going to PTU in a week. From the evocati leaks we saw, there was no way that 3.0 was ready for PTU, so that in and of itself raised an eyebrow. Then, literally overnight, Chris suddenly turns around and pushes 3.0 to PTU. This was just before the anniversary sale so naturally people thought it was to boost sales, but it still makes no sense to me why there was such a sudden about-turn from CIG’s leadership.

The only thing that comes to mind is that something really spooked Crobberts right after that email went out, causing him to ditch all common sense and throw 3.0 to PTU, maybe it was something relating to the phantom crash and/or Crytek’s incoming lawsuit?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AlbieQuirky posted:

Toast (actual Toast) is reasonably handsome imo. Not as handsome as Money, but compared to most of the CIGgers, he's hot.

And Erris? the guy I was talking about?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Virtual Captain posted:

They gave BoredGamer a Javelin for collecting 15k signups or something. It's no secret that they used to give streamers some ships to !raffle

bootcha's video was more along the lines of 'they never gave everyone a free ship as a thank you for support'
I just found it an interesting coincidence.

They’ve also done limited giveaways of ships and hardware at their Citizencon events and stuff but Bootcha is correct, there has never been a general “thank you” gift they’ve given to all the backers.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

They’ve also done limited giveaways of ships and hardware at their Citizencon events and stuff but Bootcha is correct, there has never been a general “thank you” gift they’ve given to all the backers.

Well supplies are limited, what do you dumb rear end goons expect?

Also if everyone is special, no one is special.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

The stupidest loving thing CIG ever did was give Derek his money back and eject him from the game. And then they lied about why they did it.

That tells me everything I need to know right there. It tells me how they deal with a critic who has more reach than a normal sperg on their forum.

The best anyone can come up with in all the years I've been on here is 'but your game is poo poo Derek', really? That's the best you can can come up with?

He knows the loving PROCESS at the very least. He understands the tech and its limitations. He knows how long a thing will take. That's more than I will ever know.

And when Bootcha noped his hard earned the gently caress out of the project? How many fucks did CIG give about that? Not a single one, they were glad to see the back of another critic.

And when backers first started asking for refunds? CIG asked them, 'is this because of something you read on the internet'

They have removed critics from sight of the project and they have attempted to manage the effect of that criticism on the remaining backers.

Derek isn't the only game dev who not only is critical of CIG but outright laughing at them. That network nonsense that Erin spewed? They haven't got a loving clue, not a clue, not even step 1, not even networking 101.

If anyone wants to sit and write a rebuttal to any one of Derek's criticisms I will sit and read it, learn what I need in order to comprehend it and respond.

I'll tell you right now it won't happen, just cheap digs and blatant twitter insults are the best anyone's come up with in 3 years.

Derek's criticisms of Star Citizen stand unrebutted and not only that but CIG have produced nothing proving him wrong.

The July blog remains as unchallenged non-rebutted truth as far as I can see and the unending, dull, lazy swipes at his game don't do a loving thing to change that.

So there's the challenge, show me where he's wrong because that'll be a drat sight more interesting to read.

:golfclap:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

Star Citizen is the gift that keeps on giving.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
loving content locusts.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Why wouldn't they let their backers test all the available ships for bugs and whatnot? Why, when the game is in "alpha", must you still purchase a ship to fly it? That should give anyone pause.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

trucutru posted:

And Erris? the guy I was talking about?

Not, in my opinion. But I hate bow ties so much it may be biasing me.

Sorry for descending into Tiger Beat Star Citizen Edition for a moment there. :shame:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Mario death mask posted:

Why wouldn't they let their backers test all the available ships for bugs and whatnot? Why, when the game is in "alpha", must you still purchase a ship to fly it? That should give anyone pause.

Welcome to Star Citizen. It is very possible you do not understand game development. :downs:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

You know Erris, the fear of litigation from Derek as the reason for refunding him does make sense as I'm thinking about it.

So thanks to everyone for responding. That's what's called a DIALOGUE btw, that's how it's loving done so congratulations nice job gg.

It makes sense because CIG did it again with Crytek.

I posted at length about the reasons given by the Bee Gee looking dev in Germany for the engine change not making any sense. It was a question of support, remember? Of course you do.

Crytek only support the engine as documented, and only cover training for the first period. Brian Chambers said the support from Crytek was, and I quote, "essentially zero".

Amazon offer the same level of support. As documented. Not for spaceships. Or MMOs. Or pole vaulting.

So the real reason is they cut off business ties with Crytek the same way they cut off a business relationship with Derek.

Crytek was just another critic with enough ammo to sink them in court.

Then there was that time they tested my resolve, sent me a cease & desist to scare me, while accusing me of stalking and doxing. My attorney's response was amazing. It should be in the National Archives

By the time my attorney was done with Ortwin, I was hoping they'd go further and give me my day in court. They didn't. Because that's what they were trying to prevent in the FIRST place when the booted me, then lied about it in a big press release. They singled me out because, you know, I'm not important or anything. A sane person would say it was because they knew that I was probably the only person brave enough to challenge them without blinking. And worst of all for them, I'm a very experienced developer who they know they can't bullshit.

And while Shitizens pricks when spending their money on JPEGs while attacking me, I was spending money on legal bills trying to get them to do the right thing. Starting with my much publicized demand letter.

I pick my battles. But as I've said time and time again, the whole project is a scam now, and as I was saying for months about this E.L.E, the Crytek lawsuit is only the tip of the iceberg. What's soon to be public (don't ask, i can't say. Just like the Crytek lawsuit which I only told a few people on Discord about, then gave the heads up the day it was filed) is glorious in it's execution.

And unluckily for CIG, whether they like it or not, they're going to soon find out that by way of Crytek's lawsuit, they will have to deal with me in court before this is all over. They can't escape it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Awful lot of gravity in space. Good thing the space-based salvage ship for scavenging space hulks, in space, has giant shocks.

Also is this actually in the game for people to spawn and fly because if not I'm calling more bullshots

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D_Smart posted:

And unluckily for CIG, whether they like it or not, they're going to soon find out that by way of Crytek's lawsuit, they will have to deal with me in court before this is all over. They can't escape it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Mario death mask posted:

Why wouldn't they let their backers test all the available ships for bugs and whatnot?
Because that would undermine their entire business model.

The main thing you need to understand about CIG: They aren't making a game, they're pretending to make a game so they can sell pictures of spaceships to a bunch of loving idiots.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Pixelate posted:

MoMA!

Bind Culling. 2018 or never?

(VC, please quote the poo poo out of his answer)

Yes, in the George Michael kind of "faith" way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I like how they probably spent thousands of man hours trying to get the shocks to look fake good but the ship still moves like its no clipping through space