Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

caligulamprey posted:

Shangela should have walked in on that jury, sat in the chair and offered each girl she eliminated ten thousand dollars before taxes.

Yes, bribery certainly would have made her seem more authentic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?
I was really happy Kennedy got a spot in the finale :blush: the way she talked about wanting that validation in the past couple episodes made it clear just how much it meant for her. Trixie’s got a TV show and her album’s at #1 on iTunes, Shangela’s going to be getting guest spots and acting gigs until she dies, but drag is all that Kennedy does, and she’s really loving good at it even if her style isn’t always the trendiest. If she’s not getting that stamp of approval from the biggest drag competition on the planet, where else is it going to come from? Glad she got this moment to shine.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

warez posted:

I was really happy Kennedy got a spot in the finale :blush: the way she talked about wanting that validation in the past couple episodes made it clear just how much it meant for her. Trixie’s got a TV show and her album’s at #1 on iTunes, Shangela’s going to be getting guest spots and acting gigs until she dies, but drag is all that Kennedy does, and she’s really loving good at it even if her style isn’t always the trendiest. If she’s not getting that stamp of approval from the biggest drag competition on the planet, where else is it going to come from? Glad she got this moment to shine.

Agreed. She had a lot of great moments this season and drat she is acrobatic for an old lady.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

I am a die hard Trixie fan and I went into this wanting her to win, but...Shangela should have been top 2. And would have kicked Trixie's rear end in the lip-sync and won. Shangela wanted it more than anyone there, honestly. Kennedy wanted it because she wanted the boost in popularity, Bebe wanted it because she thought it was owed to her, Trixie wanted it to prove to herself she's a winner, but Shangela wanted it as confirmation of her life and dedication to her craft. I'm happy for Trixie that she won and I love her to death, but the wrong queen was crowned.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Also was Trixie pulling her hair out at the end of the lip-sync on purpose or was her wig falling apart?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

FewtureMD posted:

SHENANGELAS

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I went into the season wanting Trixie to win. I'm glad she did, but I'm not a fan of how it came about; Bendela going home was bullshit, and Shangela not being in the top two was even more bullshit. Trixie won, but she's going to spend the rest of her career with people giving her poo poo because they feel like she didn't earn it. Bendela's self-immolation ensured that that was going to happen to whoever won, but it's going to be even worse now because of the shenangelas with the finale.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

It's not her fault so I hope she doesn't get too much poo poo. But then again, we are talking about Drag Race fans here. Personally I'd rather throw shade at the jury. They were crazy. Also so weird that it was Thorgy who ended up voting for Shangela.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dear Prudence posted:

It's not her fault so I hope she doesn't get too much poo poo. But then again, we are talking about Drag Race fans here.

Yeah exactly. I expect rational grownup people would be cool about it but it feels like there aren't a ton of those around these days.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Dear Prudence posted:

Also was Trixie pulling her hair out at the end of the lip-sync on purpose or was her wig falling apart?

I can't imagine that being unintentional.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i think this is a really really weird season of RPDR.

picking trixie is definitely the smart choice for the show. she's probably the closest thing drag race has to a true breakout crossover star: a number one itunes song, legitimately fantastic country albums, a popular tv show.

like, thinking back to the first episode, trixie's star is on the rise almost independently of drag race. win or lose, she's in peak position.

this feels sucky, unfortunately, because shangela totally earned the gently caress out the win - or at least one final lipsynch.

shange did everything right within a drag race season, including giving obnoxious memorable talking heads - but ultimately fell victim to a really lamentable production twist: the jury. the jury was some horseshit because the one major plot development out of it (ie: shange comes 3rd) undermined the edit of the rest of the season. cool controversy but an absolute lack of payoff.

im glad for kennedy a lot, and i'll remain a trixie stan forever - but this felt like a really insecure season of RPDR. i hope some of the shakeups to s10 bring some new vitality and confidence.

also now we have three white queens in allstars and it weirds me the gently caress out!!!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Well, that was a euthanasia rollercoaster of a season. I was fully prepared for Trixie to be the Katya of AS3, but it turns out she's the Sasha Velour.

Like most people, I feel like Shangela got screwed, but I'm happy with a Trixie win. Of the AS3 cast, those two arguably created the most out of their post-DR careers. It would've been such a great storybook ending, though, if Shangie completed her DR run with the crown 8 years after after being the first out.

I just hope Kennedy doesn't get backlash for this. While her colleagues clearly respect her, she does not get the recognition she deserves from the show's fandom. And usually, it's due to bullshit reasons she had no control over, like winning a lip sync against Katya.

We did get robbed, though, of whatever the gently caress Shangie was hiding under that lip sync dress.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Final thoughts:

Well poo poo. I love Kennedy and Trixie. Hell I was firmly on team Trixie and lament how underrated Kennedy appears to be among the larger fandom.

But God, even if Dela hadn't bowed out I think Shangela at least deserved to get into the final lip sync. Of the final four she's shown the most development from her season(s) and regardless of whether you like her she is a fierce queen and killed it this season.

Ah well, maybe she can come back for the inevitable All Stars 4.

I actually enjoyed Bebe this season and didn't have a problem with her returning. Hell, I feel it was all worth it for her Bizzare verse on the Spice Girls challenge. That said, there was no way she was gonna be in the top two if her peers were voting (no matter how good she was having already won is a hinderance)

Fantastisk
May 19, 2011

After a long night of hooking, trade didn't like the session, so he had gutted me and set me on fire, but, you know, I didn't die. I had crystallized, and now I'm a glamazon bitch ready for the runway.
All voting shenanigans aside, that Kitty Girl performance was phenomenal. I actually got kind of emotional watching it, it felt like an homage to the crew, which was very sweet.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Fantastisk posted:

All voting shenanigans aside, that Kitty Girl performance was phenomenal. I actually got kind of emotional watching it, it felt like an homage to the crew, which was very sweet.

totally. i would have been okay with that being in a final episode of the whole dang series

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

resting mitch face posted:

I'm loving this lineup but I'm kind of prepared for the season to be built around Trixie winning like Chad & Alaska.
Now I have no doubt that Allstars is rigga morris.

I was really kind of hoping to be wrong and see Shangela crowned. Speaking of, she looked a little round the last time she came out on stage - was she planning a wrecking ball reveal?

twistedbutterfly
Jan 20, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

also now we have three white queens in allstars and it weirds me the gently caress out!!!

Isn't Trixie half Native American? She talked about it on her season.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I'm still mad about last night. :mad:

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 16, 2018

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm switching to drag race Thailand. Much more fierce.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Yandat posted:

bendela wouldve won, then shangela was robbed, then kennedy was robbed

i love trixie but this season was hosed

Yes, Shangela was robbed. Once Ben dropped out, that was Shangela's crown for the taking. I'm not sure Kennedy was robbed, though. She should have been sent home long ago, and her nonstop spinning on that final lip sync was further proof that she didn't deserve the crown. It was very reminiscent of the Latrice & Kenya lip sync, Kennedy just had absolutely zero understanding of self-awareness in terms of the song. And the way she pulled her wig back so tight, matching the wig color with her makeup color made her look bald.

cis autodrag posted:

The jury of peers pretty obviously picked Kennedy and Trixie because they were straight up in their interviews while BeBe and Shangela were shady.

I'm not sure you know how these are filmed, but none of these queens would have seen the interviews until they aired. This show was filmed last summer. There is no way that they would have seen any of the interviews before filming the finale.

I think it was pretty obvious that they picked Kennedy and Trixie because they were friends with everybody, whereas Shangela made enemies, and Bebe already has the crown and didn't really impress much this season.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 16, 2018

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Where was all this growth that Bebe was bragging about? Did she suddenly learn to sew or dance or do anything that wasn’t Diana Ross or Camerooooooooon?

I really wanted Morgan to speak up after Bebe said everyone agreed that she shouldn’t reveal who she would have sent home and brought back. That was not the edit we saw of that scene.

Happy for Trixie!

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Trixie winning was predictable from the moment the cast was revealed but I didn't imagine it would be in this way. The narrative was that she didn't do well for the first half and bounced back in the second but I honestly don't think she had any big standout moments. I love her brand and everything she does but in terms of the actual show it's undeserved. Shangela was robbed.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm not sure you know how these are filmed, but none of these queens would have seen the interviews until they aired. This show was filmed last summer. There is no way that they would have seen any of the interviews before filming the finale.

They meant the interviews with the jury, not the talking heads bits.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

The gimmicks with choosing the final two need to stop. First Shea now Shangela. Go back to the traditional top 3. There was nothing wrong with that format.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Dear Prudence posted:

Intentional, she mentioned cutting up a wig for her lip sync at her viewing party. "I didn't have rose petals, I had to use what I had!"

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

twistedbutterfly posted:

Isn't Trixie half Native American? She talked about it on her season.

yes, she's half Ojibwe

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Hug in a Can posted:

Intentional, she mentioned cutting up a wig for her lip sync at her viewing party. "I didn't have rose petals, I had to use what I had!"

It’s stuff like this that has me worried for the future. Where lipsyncs will be defined by “moments” and other queens feel like they have to have moments instead of being just a fierce performer in general. The optics of the last two winners haven’t been the best either, with a black front runner is robbed at the chance of being in the final 2 because of a new twist in lieu of a white fan favourite. In Shea’s case, at least she could’ve done something about making it to the end, but Shangela, judging by the lipstick choosing video, didn’t have much a chance at all and had to get by on something that wasn’t based on talent and performance alone.

I guess the producers were savvy enough to realise people wouldn’t be happy and hence brought on Season 10 next week to help distract people. In the end, hopefully we don’t have a repeat of this scenario with someone like Aquaria (who, from what I’ve heard, is just a oval office and not in the C.U.N.T way) and Asia/MonetxChange because it makes everything leading up to the finale feel pointless. Then again, if they go for a similar twist in Season 10 as they did Season 9, maybe the girls will be prepared for it this time.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

The lip sync tournament battle in S9 at least allowed all the queens to perform and put up a fight for the crown. I would have much rather seen that here than this arbitrary jury system that appeared without any warning. Letting them bump off two queens at once when we’re down to the cream of the crop also just seemed ridiculous.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

jimmydalad posted:

It’s stuff like this that has me worried for the future. Where lipsyncs will be defined by “moments” and other queens feel like they have to have moments instead of being just a fierce performer in general. The optics of the last two winners haven’t been the best either, with a black front runner is robbed at the chance of being in the final 2 because of a new twist in lieu of a white fan favourite. In Shea’s case, at least she could’ve done something about making it to the end, but Shangela, judging by the lipstick choosing video, didn’t have much a chance at all and had to get by on something that wasn’t based on talent and performance alone.

I hardly think Trixie won because of the gimmick of cutting her hair. It was barely a moment, unlike the show stopper moments that Sasha had. Trixie won because of the combination of being a fan favorite, and the fact that people don't really like Kennedy. No matter the pity party that Kennedy threw for herself, winning the crown was never going to suddenly make her more appealing. Ru knows that.

I think everybody recognizes that after Ben quit, Shangela should have won. But the eliminated queens were simply too salty to let her have that, and instead gave Kennedy a pity vote.

And Shea did make it to the final two, unless you're saying that Peppermint was the front runner, which I think most people would disagree with you on. Sure, Sasha had that very memorable moment. But Sasha is also a phenomenal lip syncer, and she out lip synced Shea. She's one of the few queens who can stand completely still and still have a great lip sync. And I think you're misremembering the situation at the time. Shea did have the fans on her side. There was a lot of anger over Sasha's win.

quote:

I guess the producers were savvy enough to realise people wouldn’t be happy and hence brought on Season 10 next week to help distract people.

The producers have nothing to do with the scheduling of the show. That would be VH1. The more obvious explanation is that they don't want to lose any momentum by having some time off between the shows.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Pellisworth posted:

yes, she's half Ojibwe

Yeah. It makes the whole "white girl" criticisms against her seem pretty weak.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Sasha deserved to win.

Everyone on that season was great, the final four were all phenomenal, but Sasha brings FACE like no one else, in my opinion. I love her creativity and intelligence.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
OOOOOooooh girl, the internet is on FIRE today.

I really really understand why people are frustrated with Shangela losing. I do. I felt that way when Alaska won AS2. It was grating. I also honestly think that people are vastly overstating the talent gap between Shangela and Trixie.

Even if you look purely at the standings Shangela was only one win ahead, and she was more or less handed that win on a platter in the Divas challenge, nevermind Trixie getting completely talked over by Milk in the Bitchelor, which was entirely out of her hands.
(Bearing in mind of course that Shangela also won all her lip syncs, but I really don't know how much that factors in.)

And while people are pissed off at the jury selection twist, at the end of the day it's Charisma Uniqueness Nerve and Talent. Do you really think Ben would have been cast off the way Shangela was for being in the top? The only winners I could imagine that happening to are Tyra and maybe Violet.

I think the much more likely story is that Shangela picked fights all season and just really wasn't likeable.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I feel like this gets into a whole identity vs perception kinda thing. You can be mixed race, but if everyone sees you as white by default like Trixie, you get the whole privilege.

I don’t know that I think that’s why Trixie won, but being have native doesn’t make Trixie not white.

I’m happy she won because I think she did well. I would have been equally happy for Shangela. The format dictated the top two, though, and Trixie did better at the end.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I mean if you look like a normal white dude to the outside world, you’re not really getting the same treatment in life as someone like Stacy Lane Matthews (also Native American but with much more characteristic features), unless you walk around with your 23andMe results stapled to the front of your shirt or something. Not saying she’s on easy street or whatever (she’s talked a lot about growing up dirt poor which is another big mess of bullshit to deal with in life), it’s just simply not readily apparent.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Nihonniboku posted:

Yes, Shangela was robbed. Once Ben dropped out, that was Shangela's crown for the taking. I'm not sure Kennedy was robbed, though. She should have been sent home long ago, and her nonstop spinning on that final lip sync was further proof that she didn't deserve the crown. It was very reminiscent of the Latrice & Kenya lip sync, Kennedy just had absolutely zero understanding of self-awareness in terms of the song. And the way she pulled her wig back so tight, matching the wig color with her makeup color made her look bald.

I think it was pretty obvious that they picked Kennedy and Trixie because they were friends with everybody, whereas Shangela made enemies, and Bebe already has the crown and didn't really impress much this season.

Way to talk down to me while displaying your own terrible reading comprehension.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

My heart ached when I saw what happened to Shangela. I think it does make for bad optics to have another Caucasian-passing queen winning the crown over a front-running, curve-breaking black queen. However, Trixie was doing really well during the last challenges and as this discussion shows, Native identity is much harder to parse than I really feel comfortable to judge at this point. At this point, I don't really want to criticize any of the queens as much as I want to think about what's wrong with how this criteria was structured.

I think I would not be as bothered by the Jury set up if it didn't feel like everybody from the top-down was blindsided by the setup. As it is right now, I feel a little "tricked". I would not have minded if they kept it a secret from the contestants, but as the audience, I expect to be clued in on this. If there was some foreshadowing for the audience, then I would have felt happier about it.

Pigasus fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 16, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

zelah posted:

I don’t know that I think that’s why Trixie won, but being have native doesn’t make Trixie not white.

Don't do this. It's complicated and I don't know to what extent Trixie identifies as Ojibwe but it's not the job of fans on the internet to define her identity and particularly in the case of Native Americans this is an extremely thorny subject. Blood quantum, appearing more white vs. more Native, traditional culture and identity, etc are not things you should comment on unless you're Native American.

(I teach at a tribal college and just got back from a week-long conference with a bunch of my students and students from other TCUs, this sort of discussion has been pretty heavily on my mind)

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Pigasus posted:

My heart ached when I saw what happened to Shangela. I think it does make for bad optics to have another Caucasian-passing queen winning the crown over a front-running, curve-breaking black queen. However, Trixie was doing really well during the last challenges.

I think I would not be as bothered by the Jury set up if it didn't feel like everybody from the top-down was blindsided by the setup. As it is right now, I feel a little "tricked". I would not have minded if they kept it a secret from the contestants, but as the audience, I expect to be clued in on this. If there was some foreshadowing for the audience, then I would have felt happier about it.

Oh hells yes. If on episode 1 we got an audience only
"The girls don't know this yet. But the eliminated queens will vote and decide who makes the top two."
That would have made watching EVERYTHING unfolding extra juicy.

That said, I would like to reiterate that I really don't think Shangie was as curve breaking as you're saying :shobon:
BenDela was curve breaking. Shangie was a competitor.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
The more I think about it, the more I see Thorgy (lol) being the only queen coming out of the AS3 finale on a good note.

Obviously, Shangela got done wrong. People are always gonna say Trixie's win is tainted. Kennedy will catch flak for getting top 2 over Shange, despite it not being her decision. Bebe's run probably soured people on her. And the eliminated queens (minus Thorgy) will collectively be blamed for making the wrong decision.

Oh, Jesus. Gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Poulpe posted:

Oh hells yes. If on episode 1 we got an audience only
"The girls don't know this yet. But the eliminated queens will vote and decide who makes the top two."
That would have made watching EVERYTHING unfolding extra juicy.

That said, I would like to reiterate that I really don't think Shangie was as curve breaking as you're saying :shobon:
BenDela was curve breaking. Shangie was a competitor.

Good point on BenDela being the curve-breaker. Shangie was definitely the front runner behind BenDela, though. It's shocking to see her not even have the chance to lip sync. I mean, that's how Rupaul eliminated Roxxxy in the final episode in AS2!

Also, wouldn't it be hilarious watching Shangela go GAME OF THROOONES at everything while thinking about how everybody is going to dogpile her on the last episode? It would be less grating and more hilarious. I think that's the joke the editors wanted to make with showing that footage OVER and OVER again while knowing that she's going to reap what she sow because of it.

• Locked thread