Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So the new AoT game is on Steam. It technically doesn't have English support and costs 60 bucks. The OG game was amazing but everything I've seen about the new one seems to indicate it's less about improving the combat and meta-gameplay (which were both great in the first game anyway) and more about adding... date sim bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
but which titans can we date

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Which one do YOu want to date eej

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
all of them

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 14 minutes!

Eej posted:

all of them

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
It's interesting how the Marleyans have entirely wrought their own doom, they've taught the Paradisans how to not fear but fight Titans and even equipped them with their own Titans. It's almost as if the 4 child soldiers sent onto the island awoke a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve.
I'm saying Eren is America.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HidaO-Win posted:

It's interesting how the Marleyans have entirely wrought their own doom, they've taught the Paradisans how to not fear but fight Titans and even equipped them with their own Titans. It's almost as if the 4 child soldiers sent onto the island awoke a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve.
I'm saying Eren is ISIS

I mean...c'mon, that'd be more accurate.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Dias posted:

I mean...c'mon, that'd be more accurate.

No because then I can't root for him

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

HidaO-Win posted:

I'm saying Eren is America.

Exploding attack Titan was their Doolittle Raid.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HoneyBoy posted:

No because then I can't root for him

It's almost like Eren and the rest of the Paradisians aren't really good guys either, just seemingly (for now) less lovely than everyone else in comparison???

Weird.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

It's almost like Eren and the rest of the Paradisians aren't really good guys either, just seemingly (for now) less lovely than everyone else in comparison???

Weird.

Not really accurate to compare them to unmitigated fuckers like ISIS, then. Just on a basic backstory level, none of the Paradisians chose to be stuck on that island. Half of ISIS fighters are foreigners trying to play hero in Syria. It's just not the same situation in any way.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kassad posted:

Not really accurate to compare them to unmitigated fuckers like ISIS, then. Just on a basic backstory level, none of the Paradisians chose to be stuck on that island. Half of ISIS fighters are foreigners trying to play hero in Syria. It's just not the same situation in any way.

Give it time. Post-time skip, we've only seen the old main characters, whose characters we know and are basically SpecOps at this point. I'd say reserve judgement until we see what the Paradisians' rank-and-file invasion forces look like.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I think that it's not particularly useful or interesting to say that the Paradisians == any real world comparison, but if you felt you had to, I think a more apt middle eastern political comparison, would be Hamas, the PLO or Hezbollah.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hamas would be a better comparison, yeah. I'm just saying, if you wanna make real world comparisons, the one making their own worst enemies is the USA. But of course there aren't actual direct parallels or anything, it's just a for funsies commentary because this loving series is monthly and we get bored sometimes.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

There are obvious parallels which are quite obvious: the advent of industrialization, the eldian ghetto mirroring the warsaw ghetto.

Its just titans and the existence of paradis that divert it away from a clear mirror to the real world.
Its pretty clear that if the Eldians werent all possible titans, and thus militarily useful, the Marleyans would have genocided the lot of them.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Mainly I was joking because a surprise attack leading to the creation of a terrible purpose filled actual giant in the form of Eren is a very literal homage to Yamamotos famous statement about the Pearl Harbour attack.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I decided to try the anime of this again after being turned off when it was first airing by how whiny Eren is and 99% of the deaths being after people evaded one titan then started highfiving while another titan ate them. I specifically remember dropping it when Eren turned into a titan for the second time to move a rock and just went apeshit instead. I asked a pal a while ago if the titans were former humans because it seemed like that's what the show was implying and she responded "ah yeah the big red lads are Eren's pals in the academy".

So far in the first episode I liked the big red titan who has a hank hill butt and Eren is very whiny but it's okay so far cos he's reasonably upset that they are literally living like cows while everyone else gets rinsed. It was weird those scout dudes gave that woman her son's arm though, just tell her he was all eaten imo.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Gotta bring back something to bury :smith:

The show has some definite pacing (and budget) problems in the Trost arc, but it picks up after Eren gets court-martialed and all the political drama kicks in.

It's actually a presentation problem with the series at large - it makes a strong initial showing with its action and horror elements, but Attack on Titan is actually a sci-fi military drama/mystery thriller. The action/horror is there as a consequence of the way the plot moves and the character's decisions, rather than the actual meat of the story.

Cue all the people whining over the coup d'etat arc not involving titans at all.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Had there been any word on whether season 3 will be one or two cours?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation

JahRoo posted:

Had there been any word on whether season 3 will be one or two cours?

No, but the teaser trailer prominently shows the cover of volume 22 (the ocean), which necessitates for it to be two-cour to get to.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I remember just hating how whiny Eren was and I want sure if I was supposed to dislike him or relate him. I remember Mikasa asking him if he was okay at one point and he started screaming at her.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Honestly, I think you're supposed to pity him.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

EmmyOk posted:

I remember just hating how whiny Eren was and I want sure if I was supposed to dislike him or relate him. I remember Mikasa asking him if he was okay at one point and he started screaming at her.
Hey, so, Eren does kinda suck for a while but Stuff Happens and pretty much every major character gets some significant development

I'm going to leave it as vague as that because this series has some really good twists. Sucks your friend spoiled you on a good one though.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

He's the main character but I'm not sure you're really expected to relate to him all that much. He's pissed off all the time because he wants to be free and he isn't a particularly good person.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Hey, so, Eren does kinda suck for a while but Stuff Happens and pretty much every major character gets some significant development

I'm going to leave it as vague as that because this series has some really good twists. Sucks your friend spoiled you on a good one though.

Nah to be fair to her she was super into it and I was super negative and was in "I'll never watch it so tell meeeeee" mode, she didn't blurt it out as much as my post suggests. Is what I know covered by the anime yet?

Glad to get that info on Eren's character! Considering the opening scene I think I'll be more in tune with his "why isn't everyone else horrified by our lives?" mindset this time round. I liked Mikasa a lot though because she was just quiet had a nice scarf and slaughtered titans like it was going out of style.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
It's covered by the anime.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
^^
sorry to hear about your namesake being a slaver

EmmyOk posted:

Eren, Mikasa and Armin are all broken people and sort of inversions of the standard protagonists they're supposed to represent. But yes, Eren is a shitter.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I liked Armin for the most part. Eren was annoying and Mikasa was boring though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm enjoying it much more this time through, I think when it was first airing I was twenty and a hipster who hated something getting popular with the normies as well as being a bit fed up with super bleak things. The titans are really creep and these giant red dudes are so unfair how are you even supposed to hurt them? That dude ran through a wall and iirc Eren is only normal titan sized. I also stopped one episode shy of Levi who I am informed is one rude dude.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

I'm enjoying it much more this time through, I think when it was first airing I was twenty and a hipster who hated something getting popular with the normies as well as being a bit fed up with super bleak things. The titans are really creep and these giant red dudes are so unfair how are you even supposed to hurt them? That dude ran through a wall and iirc Eren is only normal titan sized. I also stopped one episode shy of Levi who I am informed is one rude dude.

Jesus. I had a brief moment of "why are you treating that like it was so long ago" before I remembered the anime started five goddamn years ago.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Levi is a character of interesting contrasts: by skill and demeanor he's instantly evocative of the aloof lone-wolf ace, but despite his fame coming from physical prowess and ferocity, he's this tiny (5'3) neat-freak with an ascot. He's also foul-mouthed, blunt, and gives no fucks about decorum, but he's a respected Captain within the Survey Corps because he's a competent leader who deeply cares about the lives of his men. And of course, because he's an anti-titan blender.

And it all makes sense, with how the Survey Corps are the crazy volunteer branch of the military who have to leave the safety of the walls - everyone in there is both hardcore, and more than a little wrong in the head.

Naturally, Eren and his buddies fit right in.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Jesus. I had a brief moment of "why are you treating that like it was so long ago" before I remembered the anime started five goddamn years ago.

Yeah I was surprised myself when I checked to see how long ago it was! There's only been two seasons though? So is there is big divide in what's animated vs the manga?

e: Also I'm getting the sense that Eren is a poo poo right now but the anime seems pretty clear on that fact, plus it's presenting him as obsessed/manic with titan killing (understandable) rather than trying to present him as a cool cat. Is the bald red titan way bigger than the armoured one also? Based on the hole the latter made sprinting through the inner wall compared to the hole the bald one kicked in the outer wall it looks like it's impossibly big compared to the armoured one.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah I was surprised myself when I checked to see how long ago it was! There's only been two seasons though? So is there is big divide in what's animated vs the manga?

The manga is roughly a little more than twice as far along as the anime. (The anime goes until volume 12 of the manga, and the manga is now at volume 25.)

The red titan is also quite impossibly big.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
On the plus side, the third season starts in July and as mentioned earlier should cover up to Volume 22.

RE sizes, the "Armored Titan" is roughly Eren's Titan size at 50 feet. The "Colossal Titan" is 200 feet tall, towering over even the Walls.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

How is anyone supposed to punch it in the face if it's that big :whitewater:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

How is anyone supposed to punch it in the face if it's that big :whitewater:

3d maneuvering gear attack titan

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The only secret titans I remember are the two lads who help Eren with the swingset thingy (bertholt is one I think, and I think his pal) and the sour looking girl, elizabeth? Really like this spud eating girl hope she's a real human!

e: good lord this chick's potato scene is incredible

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

3d maneuvering gear attack titan

Wouldn't even require extra gas since a titan body weighs the same as a human.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Eej posted:

sorry to hear about your namesake being a slaver
lol for gently caress's sake

EmmyOk posted:

The only secret titans I remember are the two lads who help Eren with the swingset thingy (bertholt is one I think, and I think his pal) and the sour looking girl, elizabeth? Really like this spud eating girl hope she's a real human!

e: good lord this chick's potato scene is incredible
sasha's potato scene was so popular it literally saved her life. there's a scene in the series where she was supposed to die but isayama took a liking to all the Hungry Sasha memes and kept her alive, and she rules

also you're gonna hear about a basement at some point

it's attack on titan's Fishman Island, except in this case it is absolutely, unequivocally worth the wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ah Fishman Island :saddowns: Even worse in the anime than the manga.

I'm glad to hear that about Sasha because the scene just kept going on and getting funnier because Shardis(?) was having a brain attack trying to comprehend what he was seeing. Hrm curiously Reiner(?) gave a story about when the titans attacked his village so maybe he's not a secret one, could easily be a fake story though as I presume they all slipped in during the attack. However Bertholt says he will return to his home that was taken from him no matter what and maybe he's secretly talking about his titan motivation rather than giving a fake story!

Oh I remember this military police guy was a bit of a meme at some point with a weird face.

Is the thing I know from season 1 or 2? Also is the manga regular or does the anime take off years regardless?

e: I think I recall the basement being where is dad did weird stuff to him but it's beyond the walls maybe or something. Or just the ruin of his old house where it's a titan stomping ground now.

e2: I think I am mixing up black hair and blonde hair dudes names

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 18, 2018