Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

CrystalDiskInfo says the drive is "Good 100%". I see nothing in yellow or red.

Anecdotally, I feel like the disk performs fine. Windows boots quickly, and once a game is loaded in-game loads are quick. It is *only* when first launching a game that the delay happens.

Maybe it's a Windows problem, not a HDD problem?

Maybe update your RST drivers (assuming you're on an Intel machine)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

CrystalDiskInfo says the drive is "Good 100%". I see nothing in yellow or red.

Anecdotally, I feel like the disk performs fine. Windows boots quickly, and once a game is loaded in-game loads are quick. It is *only* when first launching a game that the delay happens.

Maybe it's a Windows problem, not a HDD problem?
Your IO or memory could be saturated. Check the task manager.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

cowofwar posted:

Your IO or memory could be saturated. Check the task manager.

Odd. I tried loading TF2 while staring at resource monitor.

CPU, memory, and disk never hit 100% (or anything close to it). In fact, during the wait for the game to load the numbers basically stayed steady.

It was like the system was waiting to even begin the loading process, as opposed to trying to load and bottlenecking on something.

EDIT: Same for other games. No activity at all, then a sudden blip and the game loads off disk lightning quick.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 16, 2018

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Antivirus doing real time scanning?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Odd. I tried loading TF2 while staring at resource monitor.

CPU, memory, and disk never hit 100% (or anything close to it). In fact, during the wait for the game to load the numbers basically stayed steady.

It was like the system was waiting to even begin the loading process, as opposed to trying to load and bottlenecking on something.

EDIT: Same for other games. No activity at all, then a sudden blip and the game loads off disk lightning quick.

Are all the games being loaded through the same app?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
For those of you with Intel 53x series drives. I ran into something interesting.

I was having issues with a Intel 535 in my home server, it kept disappearing randomly.

Turns out the 5xx series drives from Intel have 2 issues that can cause problems in some cases.

#1 - They don't handle "DevSleep" properly, which means they will sometimes go to sleep and never wake back up. This bug only appears on particular combinations of drivers and motherboards. Intel provides a tool to disable DevSleep support entirely, but it requires burning to a CD or USB and booting with it to make the change. (https://communities.intel.com/thread/106343)

#2 - They use a internal power saving mechanism that trades high write amplification for power savings. In some cases the amplification was extreme (30x or more!) and it is enabled by default. This is also why my 1.5 year old drive is already down to 40% health. They provide a special firmware that disables this. (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26452/Write-Amp-Firmware-for-Intel-SSD-530-535-Series)

#2 is really lovely..... Some people where seeing a few TB of writes in just a couple weeks on brand new drives. It would also explain why the 530 drive I had in a older laptop died so quickly. It went read only in less than 2 years.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 16, 2018

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

isndl posted:

Antivirus doing real time scanning?

I don't run an AV (other than default Windows Defender).

cowofwar posted:

Are all the games being loaded through the same app?

All launched through Steam.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

All launched through Steam.

Probably Steam checking for version/workshop updates or cloud saves or whatever. Maybe looking for C++ dependencies or something. Definitely test something outside of Steam if you can, or maybe in offline mode if you can't.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Game running on juiced-up engine from 1995 isn't optimized for SSD performance!? :chanpop:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Game running on juiced-up engine from 1995 isn't optimized for SSD performance!? :chanpop:
They mentioned on the previous page that it’s affecting all games.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Kazinsal posted:

Is there any recommended method for cloning an SSD to a larger SSD? I'm replacing my 250 GB 850 EVO with a 1 TB MX500.

Don't?

I mean you'll be fine either way but tbh it just seems simpler to back up what you care about to gdrive or an external hdd and do a reimage. You don't need to worry about partitions, alignment or any of that, and it's good to "refresh" your PC every once in awhile. You'd be shocked how much stuff you have on there that you probably don't need, stored in a million different places.

E: my advice also applies to buddy with the long loaf times on initial boot

Also let's you totally narrow down if the problem is software or hardware.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 16, 2018

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Just when NAND prices are finallly edging downwards, comes a power outage at Samsung NAND fab: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12535/power-outage-at-samsungs-fab-destroys-3-percent-of-global-nand-flash-output

How very convenient!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Palladium posted:

Just when NAND prices are finallly edging downwards, comes a power outage at Samsung NAND fab: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12535/power-outage-at-samsungs-fab-destroys-3-percent-of-global-nand-flash-output

How very convenient!
That just means the MX500 will remain price competitive forever

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Palladium posted:

How very convenient!

Abloobloo, imho Samsung-san can get hosed, they've done poorly with the products I have to manage this year

....^^^oh, right, probably just more price gouging :sigh:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I have a ticket open with HP and Samsung, that's all I'm saying :toot:

One or the other hosed up, and I think it's Samsung

Opal is such a permissive set of standards, I question now whether it's actually worth anything on paper (before testing/learning fully what path to implementation was taken)

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 17, 2018

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Paul MaudDib posted:

what the heck does "optimized for ssd performance" mean? what are you talking about?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Try playing The Sims 3 on even the fastest SSD available

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

what the heck does "optimized for ssd performance" mean? what are you talking about?

SSDs read/write a minimum of a 4k page at a time, so you want to structure your data to avoid lots of micro-reads (which is also true on a HDD, but less so since HDDs naturally tend to fragment anyway). If you are going to do this (vs a single data block that you load into memory in a single go) you want to be using multiple IO threads, which is very much the opposite of what you do with a HDD.

https://engineering.linkedin.com/blog/2016/05/designing-ssd-friendly-applications-for-better-application-perfo

You can pretty easily see how a single-threaded engine designed for a PC with 32 MB of RAM in 1995 might not be doing the optimal thing with a super-fast SSD on a PC with, say, 4 GB of RAM in 2017. You're really only getting a fraction of the speed your SSD can offer.

(yeah technically it's kinda multithreaded now, they moved the sound stuff to a different thread... which is probably a whopping 1% of the workload. I really doubt any of the loading is multi-threaded)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 17, 2018

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Paul MaudDib posted:

You can pretty easily see how a single-threaded engine designed for a PC with 32 MB of RAM in 1995 might not be doing the optimal thing with a super-fast SSD on a PC with, say, 4 GB of RAM in 2017. You're really only getting a fraction of the speed your SSD can offer.

i guess, but how on earth would you even notice the difference if you're only loading 32mb into ram? the SSD would be infinitely faster regardless of multithreaded io.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Paul MaudDib posted:

SSDs read/write a minimum of a 4k page at a time, so you want to structure your data to avoid lots of micro-reads (which is also true on a HDD, but less so since HDDs naturally tend to fragment anyway).

what

HDDs also read/write minimum amounts of data at a time and many modern ones are 4K (aka 'advanced format') so it's even the same quantum. It is incredibly more important (not less) to avoid "micro-reads" on a HDD.

quote:

If you are going to do this (vs a single data block that you load into memory in a single go) you want to be using multiple IO threads, which is very much the opposite of what you do with a HDD.

Using multiple IO threads to generate lots of IOPs is about database-like loads. It's not very applicable in most games since few of them look much like "thousands of clients making random requests". (Unless you're talking about the server side of a MMO, but that's not what we're discussing.)

The only thing that has changed much about game loading performance optimization on SSDs is that you don't have to do very much to get good results. On HDDs or optical media, game load optimization meant linearizing data layout. On SSDs that is still pretty much the best way to go, but if a game developer doesn't bother, it won't tank performance horribly.

quote:

What fishopolis said, and 'not optimal for SSD' doesn't translate into a weird long delay with the system showing low load before anything starts happening, which is what the OP complained about. IDG why you're obsessing about 1995 games not being optimized for SSDs when there is clearly something else going on.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Oh?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Sweet. Thanks for posting this.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

I got one of these last week, haven't had time to install it yet.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Sigh. Ebay has their 15% going on now too.

860 Pro 512 for $200
MX500 1TB for $200
1100 2TB for $300 edit: lol gently caress it I gotta pay tax for CA

...Sigh. I don't even need one but I've got spare machines that could use it for no other purpose than to be on an SSD.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 20, 2018

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Snagged a 860 Pro 512G for $199. Don't hate me thread!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Shaocaholica posted:

Snagged a 860 Pro 512G for $199. Don't hate me thread!
Congrats you picked the worst possible option

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
You paid 960 Evo money for a SATA drive. Nice.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

You paid 960 Evo money for a SATA drive. :yosnice:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just got in a buttload of 250GB 860 evos at work, I'm always amazed how cheap SSDs are getting.. About $90ea which isn't even a huge bargain it just seems so drat cheap!

Some of the new optanes too.

So far my favourite SSD is the HGST SN260 though, that thing is a monster. X8 PCIe and gets about 6.2GB/s throughput sequential 128k reads. It is also decidedly not cheap :haw:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Received the Micron 2TB SSD today. Little muffed they didn't provide any screws to mount it, but whatever, downloading DOOM on to it now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
SATA SSDs don't need screws, just some double sided tape/elastic bands :colbert:

isndl
May 2, 2012
Just let it dangle freely. Gotta air out that data to prevent bit rot!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
In a recent L1Techs video, Wendell was talking about some SSD he was using that was being dumped used pretty cheaply, it was PCIe-attached flash but not NVMe (so not bootable), just flash plugged directly into the bus. Anyone remember the episode that was from, or what that might be? Is there an advantage to doing that vs just a 960 Evo?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Samsung teasing a Z-NAND M.2 drive to potentially go against Optane.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12580/samsung-reveals-m2-zssd

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Earlier this year, I built my wife a new computer with an NVMe 960 EVO, and I'm pretty jealous.

I'm still using at WD 7200 Black from circa 2012, so no matter what SSD I go for, it'll feel glorious in comparison.

That being said, assuming that I'm using the computer for gaming (primarily WoW monogamy with some FPS dalliances), would I possibly even NOTICE the difference between a Crucial MX500 (SATA) and a Samsung 960 EVO (NVMe)? I figure that the MX500 is about half the price/GB as the 960, and while budget isn't MUCH of an object here, I'm not sure if it's actually worth diving into the NVMe space for myself, or if I can just get a bigger drive for the price I was going to pay on the NVMe.

Thoughts?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Zarin posted:

gaming
would I possibly even NOTICE the difference

No.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Zarin posted:

gaming
would I possibly even NOTICE the difference

Unless you're editing 4k videos and need real time scrubbing, you probably don't need NVMe. More storage capacity would be better because it should theoretically also increase the life span of the drive.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SlayVus posted:

Unless you're editing 4k videos and need real time scrubbing, you probably don't need NVMe. More storage capacity would be better because it should theoretically also increase the life span of the drive.

Thanks for the quick replies!

I guess while I'm at it, I'll pick up an extra MX500 for her as well then, since she could use some extra space sooner rather than later.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is Kingston still on the poo poo list? I want something to replace an older and smaller Samsung in my Sandy Bridge machine so top performance isn't critical though it does seem to do pretty well among cheapr SSDs. Warranty isn't a problem either as I can RMA it at the local store, the only conern really is that it doesn't poo poo itself and corrupt my data prematurely compared to others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mobby_6kl posted:

Is Kingston still on the poo poo list? I want something to replace an older and smaller Samsung in my Sandy Bridge machine so top performance isn't critical though it does seem to do pretty well among cheapr SSDs. Warranty isn't a problem either as I can RMA it at the local store, the only conern really is that it doesn't poo poo itself and corrupt my data prematurely compared to others.

The problem with Kingston - excepting the less-than-stellar support in this case - is that there's so many versions of their poo poo.

Are MX500s too highly priced or something?