Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm seeing hed (PE) on Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I've been re-listening to System of a Down's discography and forgot how awesome they were/are and am wondering if there's anything else along those same lines? I know of some of the weirder aspects of metal (stuff like uneXpect, Igorrr, etc)

What else should I check out

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

kumba posted:

I've been re-listening to System of a Down's discography and forgot how awesome they were/are and am wondering if there's anything else along those same lines? I know of some of the weirder aspects of metal (stuff like uneXpect, Igorrr, etc)

What do you mean along those same lines?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

NonzeroCircle posted:

I'm seeing hed (PE) on Sunday.

I think these guys tour nonstop. I see them pop up for shows at least once or twice a year it seems.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

kumba posted:

Pretty much anything Mike Patton has been involved with, particularly Mr. Bungle and FNM.

Maybe Dog Fashion Disco and Polkadot Cadaver.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
tub ring are the quasi-officially approved bungle knockoff (trey spruance from mr bungle produced their first album)

there's also estradasphere, who used a lot of balkan/west asian folk elements similar to soad

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I have been meaning to check out more of Patton (I love Fantomas and Faith No More, not too hyped on Dead Cross) so this is the perfect excuse. First few songs of the self-titled Mr. Bungle are definitely scratching this itch so thanks for the reminder!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Hed (PE) trip report: was it good? I don't know. Was it entertaining? Very.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Avatar's new album dropped a couple weeks ago. I got a chance to listen to it tonight. It's not my favorite, but their guitarists have such a cool style that it's still good. This one has been my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWjSl6QPQds

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
New Stone Temple Pilots is out. Which describes both the general facts of the album and its title. (Yes, their last album was also self-titled.)

It was good background music that basically sounded like STP. Didn't reach out and grab my attention much. So it goes.

Also -- I guess this is kinda the place to talk about grunge type stuff in general, and the Chris Cornell deadthread is locked... Anyway, this is a few weeks old now, but I listened to it again today and drat, does it pack a punch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h06uzVCFsoE

It's Johnny Cash's words, but it's still dripping with implications, intentional or not.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 16, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
STP should be playing the county fair circuit at this point. I love the old stuff but it’s just getting sad without Weiland (and their reunion album with him sucked).

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Digging this cover.

https://youtu.be/9XaS93WMRQQ

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Failure just announced some new music releases - a series of 4 EPs, with an LP that combines them all afterwards. First one is due out at the end of the month. The article got it slightly wrong. Looks like the theme is social consequences of technology?

Shoegaze band Airiel did this same thing last decade and it did pretty well for them. Something about the separate releases generates more sales, I forget exactly what the interview said.

Actually I wasn't sure whether to post this here or the shoegaze thread because Failure could be considered a gaze/grunge hybrid. Slightly related, there's a new Tool album forthcoming; a lot of people associate Failure with Tool because they've toured together more than once and Keenan is a fan of them ("The Nurse Who Loved Me" from APC's Thirteenth Step is a Failure cover).

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Failure are amazing and I am so very happy they are continuing to do new music. I saw them when they played a string of shows around the Fantastic Planet re-release and it was stellar. They should tour again with Local H and let me relive my 90's proper.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Apologies in advance if this is the wrong thread, but after digging around for 30 minutes and finding the only other relevant thread otherwise closed from over a year ago, I couldn't find a better one.

Thoughts on the upcoming Smashing Pumpkins tour/the catfight between Billy and D'arcy? I only really started getting into the band last year and I'm interested in going since I live fairly close to Indianapolis.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Matsuri posted:

Thoughts on the upcoming Smashing Pumpkins tour/the catfight between Billy and D'arcy? I only really started getting into the band last year and I'm interested in going since I live fairly close to Indianapolis.

I don't have a lot of input on the catfight, other than Billy is gonna Billy and D'arcy has probably been a train wreck for some time now. It smacks of marketing hype surrounding the tour.

Having said that, Billy and whomever he's currently calling the Pumpkins usually puts on a good show. I've seen most every incarnation of that band at some time or another, and even when he didn't have Iha or Chamberlain it's still pretty OK and I could squint and scratch that nostalgia itch.

My interest has been piqued since this tour is supposed to celebrate the first five records (read: the last really great LPs), but early reports of the set list didn't really impress. It's a lot of the same "greatest hits" fare that he's been playing for the last several decades. Not sure how he saw celebrating Siamese Dream and not playing "silverfuck" but whatever.

If you haven't seen them, you should go. Lord knows how long this reunion will last before they implode again. Chamberlain is still a best behind the kit and Iha is always fun to watch as he always looks endlessly bored while coaxing some pretty great guitar noises out of his pedals.

Also, you will absolutely not miss D'arcy in the lineup.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

hatelull posted:

I don't have a lot of input on the catfight, other than Billy is gonna Billy and D'arcy has probably been a train wreck for some time now. It smacks of marketing hype surrounding the tour.

Having said that, Billy and whomever he's currently calling the Pumpkins usually puts on a good show. I've seen most every incarnation of that band at some time or another, and even when he didn't have Iha or Chamberlain it's still pretty OK and I could squint and scratch that nostalgia itch.

My interest has been piqued since this tour is supposed to celebrate the first five records (read: the last really great LPs), but early reports of the set list didn't really impress. It's a lot of the same "greatest hits" fare that he's been playing for the last several decades. Not sure how he saw celebrating Siamese Dream and not playing "silverfuck" but whatever.

If you haven't seen them, you should go. Lord knows how long this reunion will last before they implode again. Chamberlain is still a best behind the kit and Iha is always fun to watch as he always looks endlessly bored while coaxing some pretty great guitar noises out of his pedals.

Also, you will absolutely not miss D'arcy in the lineup.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a ticket this weekend. Just a matter of deciding how much I wanna spend and how far away I wanna be. This would be the first real concert I've ever been to, so I'm kind of excited, after years of missing out due to plans falling through or bands dropping out (my dad and I were gonna see Van Halen like a decade ago and it never came to be). I'm just tired of missing out on bands I like.

And yeah the set list seems to have a lot of safe bets on it. A little disappointed to not see Soma, Geek USA, Luna, Jellybelly, Here Is No Why, gently caress You (An Ode to No One), and XYU not listed (of course, those are just ones I really like so I'm biased), but I think I'll be happy all the same to go. I'm just happy that they're focusing on their older stuff, because I don't really like what I have heard of the more recent albums (Monuments to an Elegy was boooooooriiiiing).

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I just posted this in the Stoner thread but I bet some of this thread will like heavily 90's inspired Hard/Stoner rock too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bQU7d4lz2I
And while I'm here, in case any of you missed this when someone posted it in the Stoner thread a while back, it's very 90's and awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fVPepMmmfw

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Matsuri posted:

Yeah, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a ticket this weekend. Just a matter of deciding how much I wanna spend and how far away I wanna be. This would be the first real concert I've ever been to, so I'm kind of excited, after years of missing out due to plans falling through or bands dropping out (my dad and I were gonna see Van Halen like a decade ago and it never came to be). I'm just tired of missing out on bands I like.

And yeah the set list seems to have a lot of safe bets on it. A little disappointed to not see Soma, Geek USA, Luna, Jellybelly, Here Is No Why, gently caress You (An Ode to No One), and XYU not listed (of course, those are just ones I really like so I'm biased), but I think I'll be happy all the same to go. I'm just happy that they're focusing on their older stuff, because I don't really like what I have heard of the more recent albums (Monuments to an Elegy was boooooooriiiiing).

"Soma" I thought was mentioned on their songs to pull from for this tour? "Jellybelly" was one of the Mellon Collie tracks that rarely if ever got any play time after the early promotion shows where they just did the whole album front to back. "X.Y.U." got featured heavily in their set lists back in the day. Still a good stomper. Maybe you get luck and they pull off "The End is The Begininning is the End." That was a pretty great track from the "No Chamberlain" stretch.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Ah! So it is. I must have missed it on the list.

And yeah the biggest reason why I wanted XYU was because I've seen videos of them playing that and it looked intense.

And too bad about Jellybelly, I honestly like it more than Zero or Bullet with Butterfly Wings.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 27, 2018

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Matsuri posted:

Ah! So it is. I must have missed it on the list.

And yeah the biggest reason why I wanted XYU was because I've seen videos of them playing that and it looked intense.

And too bad about Jellybelly, I honestly like it more than Zero or Bullet with Butterfly Wings.

The "Zero" and "Bullet ..." singles are overplayed for sure. However, live the band would tend to play around with the structure to great effect. They'd do "Zero" crazy fast and drag "Bullet" out with some fun teasing. My memory is super fuzzy, but I want to say they did some different versions of at least one if not both those tracks on the tour supporting Adore which was pretty amazing for other reasons.

"Porcelina" can get pretty epic, and live "Drown" especially if they opt for extended noise outrs is a sublime thing. You won't be disappointed.

Also, drat you for making me talking about this band. :) Now I want to buy tickets for the Houston show.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
This version of Bullet... is king, its so malevolent. I taped this gig off MTV2 and wore out the vhs for this and Daphne Decends.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR_D3zWK5X8

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

NonzeroCircle posted:

This version of Bullet... is king, its so malevolent. I taped this gig off MTV2 and wore out the vhs for this and Daphne Decends.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR_D3zWK5X8

YAAAASSS!! I'm pretty sure that's some of the Adore era footage I mentioned. D'arcy and Iha were still in, but Chamberlain was on the outs after the Melvoin thingl. They had that guy (Kenny Aranoff who was the drummer for Mellencamp?!) plus the two percussionists and Mike Garson (from Bowie's Aladdin Sane) laying down otherworldly piano lines for some of the live stuff. It was a pretty awesome live sound, and they would typically close with a crazy long version of "Transmission" that mixed in the Joy Division song into the mix. Good stuff.

Some of that material got released as a bonus disc with the Adore reissue. Worth hearing for the live treatments of some of those Adore tracks.

I always liked the super angry venomous "Disarm" they did early in the game too. I think think this showed up on Viewphoria.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZmyp1gpLiA

It's almost like he said "nah, gently caress you. I'm not going to play the pretty hit single."

hatelull fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 27, 2018

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

hatelull posted:

I always liked the super angry venomous "Disarm" they did early in the game too. I think think this showed up on Viewphoria.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZmyp1gpLiA

It's almost like he said "nah, gently caress you. I'm not going to play the pretty hit single."

One of the youtube comments on that video: "actually, i think this was the performance when mtv forced SP to play disarm, since it was the pretty and clean cut single at the time, despite them wanting to play some other song. hence, the super pissed off performance. so no, mtv still sucked back then, they just wanted to suckle on the pumpkins' sweet, super-selling nips"

I can get behind this. Anything that baits out Billy's angsty cattiness is a plus to me because that was loving great.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Here's some new stuff that is very good. Kind of system of a downy but that's kind of a given since the frontman is a dude from SOAD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsmmQ1EqSIc

Also muse is gearing up for a new album. Their single is probably my favorite song from the last few albums combined, not that that's saying much. When I first heard the studio version I thought they kinda sucked the life out of it, and that it would be much better live. Definitely the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ctLiBVZDKo

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 7, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Volkerball posted:

Also muse is gearing up for a new album. Their single is probably my favorite song from the last few albums combined, not that that's saying much. When I first heard the studio version I thought they kinda sucked the life out of it, and that it would be much better live. Definitely the case.

That's the case for Muse for a few albums at this point. I'm pretty sure they switched to completely overdubbed/triggered drums with The 2nd Law which certainly didn't help. Some of the rockier tracks on Drones that threatened to actually be listenable were neutered by the production. Almost as bad as the drum tracks on Metallica's last album.

I mean, it totally works for a spacey track like "Dead Inside" or pseudo-dubstep like "The Handler". But not so much when they're going for prog metal.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 7, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah the studio recording of the handler works, but not much else from that album. That little instrumental part midway through really pops even though it's not in your face like how it would've been if it was recorded in the style of stockholm syndrome or the small print.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

chino from deftones made a solo song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBMGiHosRYk

it's ok i guess :shrug:

e: just realized the guitar is basically just the riff from my own summer lmao

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 11, 2018

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Speaking of, whatever happened with that Chino/Bad Brains project?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

no idea, they released that one song two years ago and nothing since. considering chino is busy with a billion different things at all times, between touring/writing with deftones, doing the same with his other 3 bands, and featuring on a shitload of other people's songs, i'd guess it's prolly hard to schedule sessions with the other members of saudade especially as many of them are also active with other projects.

i do hope we get more stuff from them, that one song was pretty cool.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Interesting tidbits about SOAD:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/why-system-of-a-down-havent-put-out-an-album-in-13-years-699076/

The gist of it is: Serj was never even a really big fan of metal to begin with, and got disenchanted with the whole process of making SOAD records, earlier than most of us would've guessed. He barely even wanted to put out Mezmerize/Hypnotize and was often unhappy with the end result when he would bring his songs to the band. There was an attempt to end their "hiatus" at some point but it just never worked out.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Both my favorite bands from the late 90's ergo my favorite bands have survived into the present day. Deftones were already mentioned so I feel like I have to bring up the other, Garbage whose classification as post grunge seems adequate seeing that they have been labeled as grunge and their drummer was the producer of Nevermind. Their 2016 album Strange Little Birds was one of their better ones and I present a few of their tracks for your judgment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSa_hbutFt0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcfOmhGJ8G4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ_Dqr0wOfo

RosemaryCuba
Jun 30, 2018

President, Sewer-Mutant Republic
Anyone listen to "Can't Deny Me" from Pearl Jam? Supposedly it's a single from their next album which is due in 2019.

Personally, not a fan. It reminds me of Do The Evolution but without the charm and catchyness. Definitely not one of my favorite Pearl Jam songs.

On an unrelated note, I've been listening to more and more of Pearl Jam and have to say, out of all their songs, my top-favorites list is probably as follows:

1. I Got Id
2. State of Love and Trust
3. Rockin' In The Free World (Live, 1992, MTV Unplugged w/ Neil Young)
4. Light Years
5. Animal

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

https://twitter.com/paparoach/status/1021462603426484224

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I was sitting in my cube at work yesterday and all of a sudden my brain was like

REMEMBER
JIMMIE'S
CHICKEN
SHACK

and I was like oh yeah bro lol. So I brought up some of the songs from their album Pushing the Salmanilla Envelope and it was even worse than I remember. One of the songs was rap rock. Also they are one of the most 90s bands I can remember - in one of the videos the drummer had a bleached blonde buzz cut and the singer had white guy dreads.

:kiss:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

RosemaryCuba posted:

Anyone listen to "Can't Deny Me" from Pearl Jam? Supposedly it's a single from their next album which is due in 2019.

Personally, not a fan. It reminds me of Do The Evolution but without the charm and catchyness. Definitely not one of my favorite Pearl Jam songs.

On an unrelated note, I've been listening to more and more of Pearl Jam and have to say, out of all their songs, my top-favorites list is probably as follows:

1. I Got Id
2. State of Love and Trust
3. Rockin' In The Free World (Live, 1992, MTV Unplugged w/ Neil Young)
4. Light Years
5. Animal

No Red Mosquito or Porch, list invalid.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Also State of Love and Trust is good but I prefer Breath if we're talking Pearl Jam tracks from the Singles soundtrack. One of my favorite Pearl Jam songs overall in fact.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I tend to include "rearviewmirror" and "indifference" in my top X pearl jam songs list. "Porch" is always a staple, and I'm a sucker for "Corduroy" too. Both of those Singles tracks are excellent.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

hatelull posted:

I tend to include "rearviewmirror" and "indifference" in my top X pearl jam songs list. "Porch" is always a staple, and I'm a sucker for "Corduroy" too. Both of those Singles tracks are excellent.

How the gently caress did I forget Corduroy?
e: and MFC. and Faithfull. and Low Light. and In My Tree. gently caress it, how about "pretty much everything from No Code and Yield" since those two records have aged so much better than the rest of their material imo... Agreed on the Singles tracks being great though.

*ahem*

As for actual, uh, "post-grunge" ...where would The Vines fall on that spectrum? I liked a good bit of their early stuff, although I haven't really kept track of them in the last 10 years or so.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Vines are part of that garage rock revival movement of the early 2000s