Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Like I mentioned above. All he has to do to keep a 7 figure job is to be better than “meh”. I have no idea what part of Georgia basketball history makes people think otherwise. Outside of Dominique Wilkins and the freak SECT win last decade Georgia basketball has been bad to mediocre at best. The only thing the school cares about is Kirby Smart morphing into Nick Saban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
It's not yet Friday even on the East Coast and the Pac-12 is done in this year's tournament. Impressive.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah as long as Georgia gets a tourney berth every other year or so who really gives a poo poo.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

elentar posted:

It's not yet Friday even on the East Coast and the Pac-12 is done in this year's tournament. Impressive.

Didn't deserve more than 1 team. Arizona was also seeded too high. Committee clowned.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Penny Hardaway to Memphis?

elentar posted:

First time in 20+ years that a major conference didn't make the round of 32.

an adult beverage fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 16, 2018

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Pac-12 Basketball, y'all

https://youtu.be/1ercQOGIcAc

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

UK's 3-pt streak ends after an NCAA record 1047 games. Last game without a 3 was November 26, 1988. Judging by Twitter people are legit upset about it, because our fan base is insane. I actually think it's pretty impressive to score 78 points and win without hitting one. And any win in March is better than keeping a cool but overall meaningless steak alive.

I think the fear is that you want them to practice now because they're not getting much farther without 3's. At least they caught a huge break with Arizona out.

I'm kind of surprised the SEC stayed intact through Day 1. Just seemed like one of these teams should have lost.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 16, 2018

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

tadashi posted:

I think the fear is that you want them to practice now because they're not getting much farther without 3's. At least they caught a huge break with Arizona out.

They only attempted like 6 or 7 all game. It seems to me like it was a game plan thing for the Davidson game.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Fred Hoiberg being good is going to get so many unqualified former players hired.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

MourningView posted:

Fred Hoiberg being good is going to get so many unqualified former players hired.

Yea, but Ewing doesn't look so hot right now, so you think that would balance things out.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Apparently Hardaway has been successful with his high school and AAU teams, but it seems like he just out-talents everybody and doesn't need to out-scheme anyone, so who knows... Also it looks like he wants to bring Larry Brown on his staff.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
A guy who runs a Nike AAU team AND Larry Brown? why not just save the NCAA the time and drop basketball

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Memphis is gonna mortgage the entire 2020s for at most two good seasons with Penny and the AAU pimps. It's just idiotic.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea, but Ewing doesn't look so hot right now, so you think that would balance things out.

I'd give him more than a year to turn that program around. They were in a lot of games this year and he's recruited well. I bet they're in the top half of the Big East next season.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

True, I was kinda reaching looking for another recent player turned coach as an example.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lewis Joseph "Dan" Tony D'Antoni II

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Lewis Joseph "Dan" Tony D'Antoni II

Forever owns for that time some reporter asked him about why he doesn't call more post ups and he spent like 20 minutes yelling at him about how inefficient posting up is.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MourningView posted:

Forever owns for that time some reporter asked him about why he doesn't call more post ups and he spent like 20 minutes yelling at him about how inefficient posting up is.

And also yelled at him for interrupting his "drat analytics story".

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Korranus posted:

Memphis is gonna mortgage the entire 2020s for at most two good seasons with Penny and the AAU pimps. It's just idiotic.

Hey let's hire the guy that steered every Memphis kid away from going to Memphis.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Isaac Haas broke his elbow.

gently caress.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I bet this guy has a job waiting for him at FS1 whenever he's done coaching.

quote:

Apparently, you can add Stephen F. Austin Team 2017-18 to the long list of things that millennials have ruined.

The 14th-seeded Lumberjacks’ upset bid of third-seeded Texas Tech fell apart in the second half of a 70-60 NCAA tournament loss Thursday in Dallas. They led by eight early in the second half and held that lead until four minutes remained, when the wheels fell off. Stephen F. Austin would score two more points the rest of the game.

Coach Kyle Keller was understandably upset at this turn of events, and he blamed millennials. His team of college students is lousy with them, apparently.

“The millennials today, they don’t even watch college basketball,’’ he said after the game, per USA Today. “A lot of our guys didn’t even know who those cats [Texas Tech players] were because they don’t watch the game. They’re on their phone and doing that kind of stuff.

“I hate to say it, but as much as you or I or anybody in here watches the games, they don’t. Or the NBA. They might watch the slam-dunk contest in February on TNT or whatever, but that’s about the extent of it.”

The 50-year-old Keller’s job, then, is to try to form a bond with his young charges, who might not even be millennials anymore, but rather some newly named group of people who will proceed to ruin everything. Green beans are the answer, apparently.

“If I don’t read it and study it and learn and try to figure these kids out, I have no chance to coach. … Because the way I was taught as a child was, ‘Hey, you are going to eat what is on your plate, if not, you’re going to sit here.’ I had to sit at the kitchen table one Saturday afternoon because I didn’t want to eat green beans or salmon patties.

“So we have a lot of green beans on our team meals, and I tell that story to our guys. But you have to adjust. You’d better learn to give and some take with these kids, I think.’’

To be fair, Keller did say he felt bad for his seniors, who have been part of the most successful run in program history. The Lumberjacks have made the NCAA tournament in four of the past five seasons, even upsetting West Virginia as a No. 14 seed in 2016 before falling to Notre Dame by a single point in the round of 32.

“It’s a hard time to really collect my thoughts,” he said, per the AP. “We had three great seniors who came together. A lot of tears in the locker room after the game because of how much invested they had in our university. The thing I think that they did was we’ve been living off everybody else that had been before us, the players and coaches that had come before us.”

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

thanks grandpa

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MourningView posted:

this is loving fantastic

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Most of his players are not millennials according to Pew

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I hope Marshall wins the tourney just so Dan can go and say "now my drat analytics story is finished"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

are there any more dam questions

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Keller added, “I smell burnt toast, is anybody else getting that? Kyle go lie down now.”

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/JFergusonAU/status/974837735323086849

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/UMBCAthletics/status/974849917817630725

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Virginia has now been on the receiving end of the biggest upset in college basketball history AND the biggest upset in tournament history.

Good job Virginia.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
UVA IS FULL OF CATS

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shamelessly stealing from GDT
https://twitter.com/AllaireMatt/status/974853021401337861

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Just

How?? How did that happen?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

shirts and skins posted:

Just

How?? How did that happen?

Lots of 3s and wacky layups

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
So let's lay it out.
UVA played the 6th hardest schedule in the country.
They didn't give up over 70 points all year.
They lost 2 games all season and easily won an ACC over the likes of Duke, UNC, Miami, NC State, and Clemson.
UMBC lost by about 50 to Albany two months ago.

This isn't like loving Gonzaga laying an egg after playing Pepperdine all season. UVA has gone against the best all year.

I'm in disbelief. What on earth?

e. also: https://twitter.com/AminESPN/status/974853547173953536

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

shirts and skins posted:

So let's lay it out.
UVA played the 6th hardest schedule in the country.
They didn't give up over 70 points all year.
They lost 2 games all season and easily won an ACC over the likes of Duke, UNC, Miami, NC State, and Clemson.
UMBC lost by about 50 to Albany two months ago.

This isn't like loving Gonzaga laying an egg after playing Pepperdine all season. UVA has gone against the best all year.

I'm in disbelief. What on earth?

e. also: https://twitter.com/AminESPN/status/974853547173953536

Anything can happen in a single game of basketball. It is an EXTREMELY high variance sport.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Anything can happen in a single game of basketball. It is an EXTREMELY high variance sport.

It is, in fact, the best sport.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

SamuraiFoochs posted:

0-131 isn't very high variance

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Good dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

One game samples are inherently flukey but it is pretty comfortably the lowest variance of the major sports because there are so many scoring chances and good individual players have an outsized influence

• Locked thread