Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

This reminds me of that one virus that would make a window pop up on your desktop and give you 20 seconds until your PC turned off, except you could quickly go into your clock settings, set it back to one year to gain time and run something to get rid of the thing.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I tried to find out what the Warhammer heresy thing was about but the wiki article was longer than the works of Stephen King and Terry Pratchett combined.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I tried to find out what the Warhammer heresy thing was about but the wiki article was longer than the works of Stephen King and Terry Pratchett combined.

I know very little of the setting, but, I'm pretty sure the main idea is that "Everything is heresy, and the punishment for heresy is violent edgelord death with a sword made out of chainsaws."

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

the_steve posted:

I know very little of the setting, but, I'm pretty sure the main idea is that "Everything is heresy, and the punishment for heresy is violent edgelord death with a sword made out of chainsaws."

Close, sometimes they destroy your entire planet as punishment as well.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

In the spooky future, FTL travel uses Warp drives which tap into a parallel hell dimension. Basically the plot of Event Horizon. Horrible beings of malevolent energy ("Chaos Gods") live there and feed off all the bad stuff that happens in this universe, and in certain circumstances can reach through and influence what happens in regular universe. Mostly by turning people evil and tentacley.

Turns out when people jump around all the time, those dicks can reach in and really gently caress people up. So after 40,000 years, humans have become fascist space nazis with a side order of religious fanaticism a la roided Spanish inquisition, who truck around stamping out all alien life.

Corrupted humans have turned to Chaos and go around being heretical and spreading their general corruption, so Inquisitors go around playing whackamole by purging everybody who looks a bit off. And that's why there's a lot of heresy and purging.

I'm not into the tabletop or lore, but I do have a lot of time for the general 40k universe in games and so on. It's meant to be absurd and OTT. It's a lot like Judge Dredd in that the setting and everything in it is meant to be ironic and a satirical take, but most people just take it at face value.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm playing Warhammer: Vermintide II a lot now and I don't know what any of it is about, except the elf is very annoying.

e: I guess it's not even the same universe as Warhammer 40K??

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Mar 17, 2018

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

No it is, you’re just a bit early to the party.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

That's a cat

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Slaaneshi Noise Marine riding shotgun, and therefore in charge of tunes, I approve.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

-in the 80s the company that held the rights to make games for lord of the rings and judge dredd invented its own off-brand lotr, they called that warhammer fantasy battles and it was barely legally distinct but later became its own thing
-the company later mashed up warhammer fantasy battles with a sci-fi dystopia setting pretty much like judge dredd's, they called it warhammer 40000 for the year it's set in
-at the time the employees at the company shared a pub and a lot of pints with british miners who were getting hosed nonstop by the thatcher government
-the employees made the dystopia setting a satire of lovely governments in genera but especially of british, at first it was super orwellian but then it became its own thing and wrongthink turned into heresy
-in the setting so many people accuse each other of heresy before fighting that it's pretty much a catchphrase
-30 years later a lot of nerds miss the point

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
So Verhoeven's Starship Troopers but fantasy elements.

Got it.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

gently caress that's pretty good, there's sometimes even masses of human infantry fighting big alien bugs with pointless wars of attrition too

i wish i said that instead, just know that most people also live and think no better than medieval peasants with a superstitious comprehension of their tech and you're good to go

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

hard counter posted:

i wish i said that instead, just know that most people also live and think no better than medieval peasants with a superstitious comprehension of their tech and you're good to go

That's pretty much how poo poo is IRL

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

hard counter posted:

-in the 80s the company that held the rights to make games for lord of the rings and judge dredd invented its own off-brand lotr, they called that warhammer fantasy battles and it was barely legally distinct but later became its own thing
-the company later mashed up warhammer fantasy battles with a sci-fi dystopia setting pretty much like judge dredd's, they called it warhammer 40000 for the year it's set in
-at the time the employees at the company shared a pub and a lot of pints with british miners who were getting hosed nonstop by the thatcher government
-the employees made the dystopia setting a satire of lovely governments in genera but especially of british, at first it was super orwellian but then it became its own thing and wrongthink turned into heresy
-in the setting so many people accuse each other of heresy before fighting that it's pretty much a catchphrase

blah blah blah BOLT THROWER blah

Alex433999
Aug 16, 2014

hard counter posted:

The most powerful Ork warboss' name is Mag Uruk Thrakka

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/OGTREEZ/status/974474462354706432

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

40k is cool, fun, as long as you just lean into the insanity. One thing I do appreciate about it is that it's one of the few galaxy-spanning settings that actually comprehends the scale of the galaxy.

Also I refuse to believe for one second that a goon of nine years doesn't know every last intricate lore detail of 40k.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Ms Adequate posted:

40k is cool, fun, as long as you just lean into the insanity. One thing I do appreciate about it is that it's one of the few galaxy-spanning settings that actually comprehends the scale of the galaxy.

Also I refuse to believe for one second that a goon of nine years doesn't know every last intricate lore detail of 40k.

I mean, it's the age of sail, but with hellboats.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

They saw your haircut buddy

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ms Adequate posted:

(Yes, it's real.)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda has a new favorite as of 12:10 on Mar 17, 2018

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Also

And no I have no idea why this gives me the gigls.

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 11:59 on Mar 17, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda has a new favorite as of 12:38 on Mar 17, 2018

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grwMSNNZcJQ

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
steaming and mouthwatering https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTutW7FPLyM

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 14:02 on Mar 17, 2018

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Karate Bastard posted:

And no I have no idea why this gives me the gigls.

How about

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Ms Adequate posted:

This is my third account so actually 16 years. I joined because of the 9/11 thread.

Painting tiny figures and Space Inquisition were literally all that ever managed to seep in.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
It always fascinates me how popular WH40K is with the military, it's like a stereotype someone would make up.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Samuringa posted:

It always fascinates me how popular WH40K is with the military, it's like a stereotype someone would make up.

I always found more people who played Magic than WH or that even read WH. Also there were way more marine nerds than we had navy nerds on the ship which I also found strange.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://i.imgur.com/1kKGAgH.gifv

Randaconda has a new favorite as of 15:46 on Mar 17, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
https://i.imgur.com/dpaHhYQ.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/JZ2PoiA.mp4

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
The "Way Too Horny" section would make a good av

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Smash Mouth knew exactly what they were doing when they made All-Star. Remember when it was the tie-in single to Mystery Men?