Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Another semi survival game that reminds me of this is diluvion. Its a steampunk sub game with some surviving and exploring. It scratches a similar itch to this game. Like imagine this but instead of the prawn suit you are in a 2 story whiskey barrel with a propeller and a rudder trapped under sea ice with a bunch of underwater cities made of barrels or whatever junk is laying around. There isnt base building though and its third person. The combat sucks but its pretty easy. I ahvent played it much so i cant really recommend it one way or the other but its worth a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

That sounds rad as hell right up until "the combat sucks". Could you sell it a little more? Because I still really want to pull the trigger.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Grand Prize Winner posted:

That sounds rad as hell right up until "the combat sucks". Could you sell it a little more? Because I still really want to pull the trigger.

It can be kinda hectic and hard to aim. I use a controller because its pretty couch gamey and i didnt have much trouble but thats probably the main complaint. The combat isnt very deadly and its kind of an rpg so you can just upgrade untill you are powefull enough to not care. Its divided into big areas so you can gear up before you hit the next area and its not a problem. I guess my main complaint would be it could have been a deeper system. The combat is just kinda forgettable and to me it felt exactly lile freelancer or similar games but the physics are pretty accurate so your whiskey barrel is gonna move through the water like a barrel.

There are other types of ships with completely different feel and stats so maybe some of the other starter subs are different.

If you watch a video of the combat youll know if you will like it or not i would think. Its not the main show though and they protect key areas you need to progress but most of the time you are sneaking around salvaging and exploring to stay alive or upgrade. You can avoid combat in most situations in the early game from what ive played.

E: also its updated twice since ive played. I think it's still early accsess too but im not sure.

Ee: looking at the steam page i may have got in after they fixed some control issue that generated the complaints. Also its still early access but you can finish the story. I didnt really notice anything i would say was missing and anything they add from here on out is icing on the cake, but i guess considering what thread this is.. things could always go backwards lol.

EE: i think this my first triple. Next update is "combat feel" so if the combat isnt your taste maybe wait for that and check again or wait till release.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 14, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wait, time capsuals are from players who've finished the game? Thats nifty

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I found a capsule pretty early on near the ship that I thought was from a developer -- it had a message that said something like 'We are out of early access, congratulations!' in a tone that made me think it was like a Kickstarter backer / pre-release purchase reward that I got by mistake (I don't think this game had one, the message was just very similar.) I guess it might not have been a mistake, I have no idea when I actually bought this thing (was it ever in a humble bundle?)

It had 4 ion power cells in it, which I recognised were so valuable that I never actually used them before the endgame because I didn't realise I'd be able to recharge them. :saddowns:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There are definitely ones from the devs, the first one I picked up was in the Grand Reef had a message from one and a picture from some concept art, along with a Cyclops Pressure Compensator Mk3 and some flares.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I got one that was just a fake bot script for a dating app message. No items, just a pretty hilarious message.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm disappointed to learn that sea treader poop provides so little energy in the bio reactor.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I miss when they pooped out rocks you could break to retrieve materials from.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

I miss when they pooped out rocks you could break to retrieve materials from.

When they walk they kick up shale deposits. It's not poop but it's good enough.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I built a big base right at lifepod 2 and it's been fun wandering into that big cave with my new prawn. Just drilling and punching things.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Are warpers always somewhere significant, like near alien structures and entrances to the deep underground, or just scattered around like most wildlife?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Inescapable Duck posted:

Are warpers always somewhere significant, like near alien structures and entrances to the deep underground, or just scattered around like most wildlife?

They will definitely be near alien structures usually, but they can show up almost anywhere.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I am stuck? I'm 48 hours in and have spent a considerable amount of time building a massive base at lifepod 2 along with a prawn and a cyclops. I have constant nuclear power and a self sustaining base for the most part. Lifepod 2 was the last radio transmission I received. I don't know what the game wants me to do. I did get attacked by a ghost Leviathan but it didn't stand a chance against Fishpuncher (my prawn's name).

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Untrustable posted:

I am stuck? I'm 48 hours in and have spent a considerable amount of time building a massive base at lifepod 2 along with a prawn and a cyclops. I have constant nuclear power and a self sustaining base for the most part. Lifepod 2 was the last radio transmission I received. I don't know what the game wants me to do. I did get attacked by a ghost Leviathan but it didn't stand a chance against Fishpuncher (my prawn's name).

Explore deeper areas and look for holes

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Sloober posted:

Explore deeper areas and look for holes

Title of your sex tape.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Untrustable posted:

Been to the islands and explored them?
Check your tablet, the hints section. But yeah, find a big hole and go down it. Explore that depth until you find something exciting you can go into, then go deeper to the next depth level. Explore that until you find something exciting to walk into, then go deeper again.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
Beat the game and launched into space while leaving a capsule with a cuddlefish, a cat poster, and a thermal knife. I never did find the last piece of the nuclear reactor, or the thermal suit. It made the last part of the game somewhat tricky when I could not afford to be out of the prawn/cyclops for more than 20 seconds without the heat damage building up. I explored every single wreck in the game, and even tried to console a fragment in (it never worked for some reason).

I did punch two ghost leviathans out though. One of them dragged me all the way to the kelp forest by Lifepod 5 before finally keeling over. I AM THE MASTER OF THE SEA. :black101:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The cat poster is pretty much the best thing in this game. I stuck it on the wall of the moonpool so you're looking at it when you exit your vehicle.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bhodi posted:

The cat poster is pretty much the best thing in this game. I stuck it on the wall of the moonpool so you're looking at it when you exit your vehicle.

you can buy it from unknown worlds' redbubble and hang it on your wall in real life btw

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Dunno-Lars posted:

Been to the islands and explored them?
Check your tablet, the hints section. But yeah, find a big hole and go down it. Explore that depth until you find something exciting you can go into, then go deeper to the next depth level. Explore that until you find something exciting to walk into, then go deeper again.

My problem is that I'm constantly terrified that I'm gonna walk my prawn off the end of the earth and into the void. The void terrifies me. Reaper Leviathans terrify me (not the ghost ones, they're punks). Everything about this game past about 500 meters scares me so bad that I have trouble playing sometimes. I guess it's not much of an issue now, since last night my computer froze while playing and won't turn back on.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Untrustable posted:

My problem is that I'm constantly terrified that I'm gonna walk my prawn off the end of the earth and into the void. The void terrifies me. Reaper Leviathans terrify me (not the ghost ones, they're punks). Everything about this game past about 500 meters scares me so bad that I have trouble playing sometimes. I guess it's not much of an issue now, since last night my computer froze while playing and won't turn back on.

You should try it in VR

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Untrustable posted:

The void is pretty obvious. It's a REALLY sharp cliff drop off you won't find anywhere else in the game, and if its your first time discovering it your little AI will tell you its the edge of the world.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Are you intended to build a base by one of the warp gate exits? They seem pretty pointless otherwise, but maybe I'm missing another use for them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Viridiant posted:

Are you intended to build a base by one of the warp gate exits? They seem pretty pointless otherwise, but maybe I'm missing another use for them.

I think they exist so you can easily find ingredients you need.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Viridiant posted:

They were useful in the endgame. :shrug: Easier than going all the way down there in the cyclops again.

I think there should have been one in the jelly cave, though. Be neat to find early on and it's close enough to the start that you're liable to have a base around anyway.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I guess it's just my mindset then. I feel like it's a shame not to use the cyclops as much as possible after spending so much time bulding, upgrading and furnishing it.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Cyclops is awesome, I just didn't want to slowboat all the way to the bottom to drop off the macguffin.

oh and you can go down there to farm ion cubes if you wanna.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Viridiant posted:

I guess it's just my mindset then. I feel like it's a shame not to use the cyclops as much as possible after spending so much time bulding, upgrading and furnishing it.

The cyclops just exists as a way to drop my prawn places. It sucks to drive. Can't see poo poo. Always bumping into poo poo. Cameras help a little but the overall experience sucks. It's just a very large, mobile moonpool.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm still annoyed that they never fixed the lights or the driving position on the Cyclops. Chances are you'll be driving the cyclops near the bottom of the ocean and you'll want to see out that giant fuckin window. Too bad you can't see below you at all and the lights do nothing besides put a grey haze over the screen.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Cojawfee posted:

I'm still annoyed that they never fixed the lights or the driving position on the Cyclops. Chances are you'll be driving the cyclops near the bottom of the ocean and you'll want to see out that giant fuckin window. Too bad you can't see below you at all and the lights do nothing besides put a grey haze over the screen.

This is what the cameras and sonar is for.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I love the way the Cyclopes drives. A lesser game would have just given you a 3rd person view and called it a day, but not Subnautica. Not quite having a full understanding of your surroundings really adds to the "undersea" immersivness of the experience.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I accidentally built my deep base about 100m away from an endgame portal. It was a nice surprise.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Cyclops was easy to drive w/the cameras.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Untrustable posted:

The reason I suggest the Lifepod 2 area for people to build is because it has a fairly straight route to the endgame hub right down the hole next to Lifepod 2, and because once you get to the bottom and unlock the plot stuff, it has a fast travel portal right there too.

So y'know, that's the way you go for the rest of the game.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Joseph Anderson posted his critique of Subnautica if anyone else is interested in watching someone talk about this game for an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLsPoJWO-e8

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's a good review, agree with almost all of it. the story is absolute garbage and i wish the game was just "explore this alien planet".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wouldn't say the story is complete garbage. It's not super great but it makes sense.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

I wouldn't say the story is complete garbage. It's not super great but it makes sense.

For all the game's flaws, the fact it actually HAS a straight up plot with a finish line beyond "Well you found out the things. Back to the sandbox until you get bored and quit!" remains a strong point in it's favor.

Even if the signposting has suffered over the course of the development. The removal of half the signals in the game at the behest of bored vets who have the map memorized anyways would mean far less players suddenly stonewalled for hours if the game had better rendering ranges, or literally any form of in game map. That's not a fault of the plot.

At the very least the fact we have to unlock a compass in an exploration game should come with an in game UI coordinates readout, for how much even the most "But my immersion!" diehards point to the F1 button to anyone wishing for better navigation tools.

ACTUAL faults of the plot would be how so much of note is of little worth to progressing said plot, even if you go out of your way to visit. Sequence breaking itself is fun because that's always nice for replays of lucky first timers. I'm more thinking about how things like the Deep Reef Degasi base and Orange Tablet are of zero impact beyond flavor text. Or how the Disease Research Facility is of zero use, More so now that "uh... go deeper again, AGAIN" is all you get out if it beyond The game being slightly easier if you skip it.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What signposts did they remove during PR? As i mention, I stopped playing around the time the Cyclops caught on fire when you drove it at more than a snails pace.

And I think survival games need some kind of story, or at least something that drives you forward. I love creating bases and gear, but without the story, I'd do that and then not have any reason to go beyond that.

And all the ones I can think of have some kind of basic plot. Ark has collecting artifacts to unlock the bosses, 7 days to die has the constant 7 day cycle that gets you to improve your gear and defenses, same thing with the forest. I think the Long Dark has a goal of getting to safety?

But yea, no map is kind of BS. It just needs to map where you have been, and you can mark stuff on it. I keep forgetting where the floating island is until I put a becon there, which seems kind of silly considering how big it is.