Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

The working conditions being legendarily bad is probably the single biggest reason not to go into game development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
It sounds like being a line chef except with robots and lasers

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deptfordx posted:

Joking aside. The persistence of crunch in the games industry and making people work 100 hour weeks for months is bizarre and crazy.

Henry Ford and his time-motion people worked out the 8 hour day as the most efficient one a hundred years ago.

Long-term* crunch is in the most literal sense of the word counter-productive.

* You can get away with long hours for a week, two at most, then productivity per hour falls through the floor.

it's because there are enough applicants for jobs to make labor expendable. it doesn't matter if you lose programmers after a few years when there are two or three more people ready to fill the slot. the replacements may be less qualified that the burned out person you replaced, but you can pay them less in wages, so it is win-win for the managment. think of it as more like 1800s railroad or mining work, where the number of workers you lose blowing tunnels into mountains doesn't matter because there are always more chinese or irish who need a job and have no other options.

on topic, everything i see about the battletech game makes it look more awesome.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

GoluboiOgon posted:

it's because there are enough applicants for jobs to make labor expendable. it doesn't matter if you lose programmers after a few years when there are two or three more people ready to fill the slot. the replacements may be less qualified that the burned out person you replaced, but you can pay them less in wages, so it is win-win for the managment. think of it as more like 1800s railroad or mining work, where the number of workers you lose blowing tunnels into mountains doesn't matter because there are always more chinese or irish who need a job and have no other options.

on topic, everything i see about the battletech game makes it look more awesome.

It's also the case that anyone qualified enough to be coding on a game is also qualified enough to be earning many multiples of a game dev salary doing programming in the commercial world, so you have employees who have self selected for poor salary.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

GoluboiOgon posted:

That may be the reason, not my field.

I do know it's still dumb as hell when they have a 3 month crunch working 100+ hour weeks to try to finish a game.

There's a large body of research in working and productivity, some of it literally dating back to Henry Ford's time.

They all show efficiency plummets and errors soar as the work day lengthens.

They will end up getting less work completed than if they had simply stuck with a normal 40 hour week.

Because people aren't robots, but if you make them work 100 hour weeks you'll get zombies, who *spoiler alert* aren't very good at coding.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

You can see that in action with a pretty simple experiment, too. Stay up all night, then go in to work the next day. You'll feel like utter poo poo and make all kinds of stupid mistakes.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Man, I can't wait to make a Punch-bot to tear my enemies asunder.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Whilst obviously being aware that the games industry likes to crunch, I'd never really thought about it before.

It's obvious why the treat their employees like poo poo and pay them the least they can, but why do they also enforce such inefficient work schedules? Why this industry in particular when pretty well everyone else has know this is a bad idea for coming on a century?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Koorisch posted:

Sadly, triple strength myomer is lostech and hatchets have yet to make it off the drafting table (in the real world sense).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pharnakes posted:

Whilst obviously being aware that the games industry likes to crunch, I'd never really thought about it before.

It's obvious why the treat their employees like poo poo and pay them the least they can, but why do they also enforce such inefficient work schedules? Why this industry in particular when pretty well everyone else has know this is a bad idea for coming on a century?

Its not exclusive to the video game industry. A lot of them do it, they just don't get as much attention.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

A.o.D. posted:

Sadly, triple strength myomer is lostech and hatchets have yet to make it off the drafting table (in the real world sense).

It's pretty easy to break 100 damage with DFAs and a couple assaults punch for over 100 as well

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Pharnakes posted:

There's tons of industries where damagingly excessive hours are is the norm, videogames are just an outlier in the length and intensity of their crunch periods.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Zore posted:

Its not exclusive to the video game industry. A lot of them do it, they just don't get as much attention.

Yeah, it's pretty endemic in, for example, film post-production. In that case it's mainly because they only have a limited window in which they can do the necessary work, but having a strong union prevents the worst abuses. I have no doubt that if they could get away with having their 'technical' people crunch longer for no extra compensation they would.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 17, 2018

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Deptfordx posted:

Joking aside. The persistence of crunch in the games industry and making people work 100 hour weeks for months is bizarre and crazy.

Henry Ford and his time-motion people worked out the 8 hour day as the most efficent one a hundred years ago.

Long-term* crunch is in the most literal sense of the word counter-productive.

* You can get away with long hours for a week, two at most, then productivity per hour falls through the floor.

Yup, crunch is a scourge, and companies are fools to force it, even with the glut of applicants, because it takes awhile to get up to speed on a project in mid course.

Have a Kotaku article! https://kotaku.com/crunch-time-why-game-developers-work-such-insane-hours-1704744577

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

As a counterpoint, I offer you this managerial training film from the 80's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoAfb3f04mo

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Zaodai posted:

I have previews turned off, so I was hoping this was a clip from Gung Ho, but this is good too.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Koorisch posted:

Phrosphor is doing a kickass lp, using a hacked beta and MekHQ for the campaign side.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Zaodai posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoAfb3f04mo

Your posting makes a lot more sense now, Cappellan.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

sebmojo posted:

Phrosphor is doing a kickass lp, using a hacked beta and MekHQ for the campaign side.

Only about 2/3rds the way caught up but this LP is :krad: and you should all go hop in. As an added bonus if you're like me and you're deliberately not watching the official media because you want to go in mostly unsullied, Phrosphor's story is totally his own thing, he's just using the HBS beta to resolve the battles.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go
Sorry if this has been hashed to death, but what's the theory on the turn order system? Is it equivalent in some sense to the table top system? Does one subsume the other?

The table-top has the property that movement tells the enemy exactly where they can avoid that unit's fire this turn. On the surface it seems that the HBS game loses something here - is that the case or am I missing some way that the reserve system "saves" it?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

double riveting posted:

Sorry if this has been hashed to death, but what's the theory on the turn order system? Is it equivalent in some sense to the table top system? Does one subsume the other?

The table-top has the property that movement tells the enemy exactly where they can avoid that unit's fire this turn. On the surface it seems that the HBS game loses something here - is that the case or am I missing some way that the reserve system "saves" it?

You're missing a lot of it- The initiative system is fantastic and does a ton to add depth over TT's "roll a dice to see who moves first." It's especially good for making sure that light mechs are viable at all times, and that they still have a place in a rich company that can afford to field all assaults.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gwaihir posted:

You're missing a lot of it- The initiative system is fantastic and does a ton to add depth over TT's "roll a dice to see who moves first." It's especially good for making sure that light mechs are viable at all times, and that they still have a place in a rich company that can afford to field all assaults.

:argh:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
A question I can't seem to find an answer to, is the multiplayer different servers for the GOG and steam versions? The reason I ask Dragon's Dogma GOG version was incompatible with the steam version leading to a split userbase.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Since there's no matchmaking, it might very well all be peer to peer. Someone in the Discord said PVP will require a Paradox account, so you'll certainly have a way to find people that isn't just a Steam ID.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
They've said that the GOG/Steam/Humble versions will be compatible for multiplayer.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BattleTech posted:

A question I can't seem to find an answer to, is the multiplayer different servers for the GOG and steam versions? The reason I ask Dragon's Dogma GOG version was incompatible with the steam version leading to a split userbase.

I hadn't heard that. How the gently caress does that happen in this day and age?

Renzyal
Aug 4, 2013
Dragons Dogma was a capcom port that's how

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

Zaodai posted:

Since there's no matchmaking, it might very well all be peer to peer. Someone in the Discord said PVP will require a Paradox account, so you'll certainly have a way to find people that isn't just a Steam ID.

This page says they are using Playfab (that's the backend service Uber spun off for Planetary Annihilation). They were on that page even before the move to Paradox, though, so who knows.

Gwaihir posted:

TT's "roll a dice to see who moves first."

To be clear, the table-top rules are that you roll dice to determine which player goes first (going first is bad), and then you alternate in moving Mechs but you can choose the Mechs in any order. So the first Mechs you move are kind of gambling on where the enemy will end up while the later ones get to (a) avoid enemy firing arcs and (b) ensure they can hit their targets. This (I think?) gives you an incentive to move the heavies first and use their firing arcs for terrain control while the lights get to try and whip out of harms way later on.

In the HBS system, lights go first by default, but you can reserve them down so that (a) the enemy might move certain Mechs before you (exposing them) and (b) multiple of your Mechs might move/fire together; both at the cost of letting some enemies fire first.

Gwaihir posted:

The [HBS] initiative system [adds a ton of] depth [...] [It makes] sure that light mechs are viable at all times, and that they still have a place [instead of] all assaults.

Care to elaborate in regards to the above? It seems to me that in TT, knowing exactly where a moved Mech will be able to fire gives lights a great boost. Again, it's not clear to me how this is compensated for in HBS' new system (which you appear to strongly imply it is). How do I protect my lights under the new rules?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Go watch Phros' hack job LP. It is awesome and you'll get a good look at how the initiative system works and what lights can do using it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
You can plan in three turn chunks, somewhat, getting your light in position out of los (A forest, around a hill, etc), then when you want to make your move, reserve all the way down to the last phase, run out and alpha strike, and then use your following turn first movement initiative, run away at full speed, which should be enough faster than the thing you were backstabbing that it can't catch you.

Also, yea, the first mission in Phros's Let's Play shows what can be done really well I think.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Go watch Phros' hack job LP. It is awesome and you'll get a good look at how the initiative system works and what lights can do using it.

My BT tabletop group in NYC assigns and shuffles cards, which seems to work pretty well versus rolling dice.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

double riveting posted:

This page says they are using Playfab (that's the backend service Uber spun off for Planetary Annihilation). They were on that page even before the move to Paradox, though, so who knows.

To be clear, the table-top rules are that you roll dice to determine which player goes first (going first is bad), and then you alternate in moving Mechs but you can choose the Mechs in any order. So the first Mechs you move are kind of gambling on where the enemy will end up while the later ones get to (a) avoid enemy firing arcs and (b) ensure they can hit their targets. This (I think?) gives you an incentive to move the heavies first and use their firing arcs for terrain control while the lights get to try and whip out of harms way later on.

In the HBS system, lights go first by default, but you can reserve them down so that (a) the enemy might move certain Mechs before you (exposing them) and (b) multiple of your Mechs might move/fire together; both at the cost of letting some enemies fire first.

Care to elaborate in regards to the above? It seems to me that in TT, knowing exactly where a moved Mech will be able to fire gives lights a great boost. Again, it's not clear to me how this is compensated for in HBS' new system (which you appear to strongly imply it is). How do I protect my lights under the new rules?

In HBS initiative you can reserve a light to the last phase and move it in the last phase and shoot and then move it again in the first phase of the next turn before anyone has a chance to react to it and move it out of LOS again. Or just use both moves to backstab. But the every-other-turn firing LOS dance is especially strong with autocannons because it perfectly avoids the recoil penalty.

HBS iniative also lets you preserve defenses to tank fire - run up a big evasion score or brace and reserve to give you enemy nothing but bad targets to shoot at and when they do they themselves don't have those defenses to soak up fire from your reserved mechs. One of the biggest struggles in any fight is trying to find the mech with the least defenses and getting as much fire on it before it can brace or move again, without also completely exposing your own.

Going first is still a downside just like in TT, but the phases and reserving make it much more interesting. There's even a pilot talent to let that mech go 1 phase earlier, which means you can make a light mech that can still pull off the double-turn even against other light mechs. Or let an Assault Mech double-tap another assault.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

double riveting posted:

To be clear, the table-top rules are that you roll dice to determine which player goes first (going first is bad),

Not necessarily. You can also roll initiative per mech, a.though that gets tedious in big matches.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go
Ah, so reserving is best understood as shortening the time until you go again. The lighter the Mech, the shorter they can go.

Cool, thanks guys. Will watch that LP.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It's worth your time to watch. The initiative system lets you manipulate turn order in a way that can favor you but the key is it can be countered by your opponent's manipulation of the same so it's not an automatic I Win Button. Mixing 'when to reserve' with 'when to act' correctly is how you get the most out of it. It's pretty cool.

I am very bad at this but I've seen some truly impressive displays in the beta MP.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Psion posted:

It's worth your time to watch. The initiative system lets you manipulate turn order in a way that can favor you but the key is it can be countered by your opponent's manipulation of the same so it's not an automatic I Win Button. Mixing 'when to reserve' with 'when to act' correctly is how you get the most out of it. It's pretty cool.

I am very bad at this but I've seen some truly impressive displays in the beta MP.

Yeah, light mechs are the best example of this. Properly reserved they can utterly wreck heavies and assaults by darting into rear arcs, unloading, and then darting back out during their normal phase on the next turn.

Buuuut. . . if you gently caress that up and reserve your light until the later phases and someone gets vision on them, congrats, you now have a light mech standing at a dead standstill and vulnerable to all manner of heavy weapons. I had more than one match in the beta where I tried to get clever with a commando and ended up getting it cored out by a heavy that wandered over to it.

On the other hand I also had my commandos just devastate assaults in a way that was very satisfying. It's one of those high risk/high reward things where if you gently caress up you're boned but if you do it right holy poo poo those little guys can punch above their weight.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

One thing to be said about not reserving - Damage resolution is instantaneous in HBS, compared to simultaneous on TT. So if/when you move your unit first to fire, if you can kill/cripple an enemy unit before it takes its turn, it's out and will never get to go. In TT, that unit wouldn't know it's dead until all the fire declarations are finished and rolled. Once you learn how to use the reserve system, it's a much more nuanced learning curve to figure out when not to reserve. You can move first to knockdown a vulnerable unit, which delays its turn by one phase and allows more of your units to make called shots on it.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/BattleTech_Game/status/976134475112484864

Thursday, 1800 CET (1000 PDT) PDX is resuming streaming with HBS joining in for some combat tactics.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tactics: don't take jobs from comstar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rftl
Mar 21, 2015

double riveting posted:

Ah, so reserving is best understood as shortening the time until you go again. The lighter the Mech, the shorter they can go.

Cool, thanks guys. Will watch that LP.

Even more interesting is that Death From Above, the HyperRPG Battletech role play show switched to the same (or at least very similar) system.
It really works very well even in this tabletop environment.