Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Retaining and remixing the "hooded jacket" that Capaldi introduced in his later seasons was a very very good decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Virtually everything about this season, as information trickles in, has instilled me with confidence except the Rosa Parks thing which, to be fair, erases all of that confidence and fills me with dread.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Bicyclops posted:

Fanny packs are apparently in again, although it didn't occur to me until just now that of course they can't call them that in the UK.

Thank you. It was taking me a while to figure out what a "bum bag" was, and I wasn't about to Google it. I wasn't even looking at where it was, I was thinking it was the jacket, or was looking for a messenger bag type...thing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

thrawn527 posted:

Thank you. It was taking me a while to figure out what a "bum bag" was, and I wasn't about to Google it. I wasn't even looking at where it was, I was thinking it was the jacket, or was looking for a messenger bag type...thing.

Well they aren't actually filming there so it could be Jodies personal belonging for between takes and down time.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

PriorMarcus posted:

Well they aren't actually filming there so it could be Jodies personal belonging for between takes and down time.

True, but I can also see the Doctor thinking it’s the greatest, coolest invention ever.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TL posted:

True, but I can also see the Doctor thinking it’s the greatest, coolest invention ever.

Eleven in particular would have loved them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

I feel like I read somewhere that they're actually popular among actors on location for this very reason. I think Stephen Amell wears one over his Green Arrow suit.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
A Fred Gray (incidentally, the name of the lawyer of Rosa Parks) was spotted as a role in Doctor Who in one actor's CV, so it looks like even more confirmation Chibnall wants to go there.

Really, really scared the writing team is going to gently caress it up, but let's hope they don't?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The only way it would even approach being okay is if The Doctor & Co. are just there as observers because one of them wanted to see it happen. If they have any kind of influence on the actual events in the episode, it’ll be a shitshow.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I reckon it would be fine if they stop an alien that's trying to gently caress it up by killing someone, like how the Master tried to prevent the Magna Carta.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think at this point the best that we can hope for is a sort of parallel depiction, in which we see the Rosa Parks story play out, there's an alien threat trying to disrupt it that never comes in direct contact with it, and the beats in the story kind of match up to make it feel like they're connected. Even that, though... it's going to be very, very easy to be insensitive, insulting and cringe-worthy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bicyclops posted:

I think at this point the best that we can hope for is a sort of parallel depiction, in which we see the Rosa Parks story play out, there's an alien threat trying to disrupt it that never comes in direct contact with it, and the beats in the story kind of match up to make it feel like they're connected. Even that, though... it's going to be very, very easy to be insensitive, insulting and cringe-worthy.

Again, Zygons were photographed on-set, so we already know there will be fuckery from them.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Timby posted:

Again, Zygons were photographed on-set, so we already know there will be fuckery from them.

Ugh! Why can't leave well enough alone with Zygons, and not use them beyond the scope of what they can do narratively. If only there were some catchy phrase I could use to express this sentiment - Doctor What, help me out here?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Can't we just have a normal, non-antagonistic relationship with Zygons?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Member when people were stoked that the Zygons were coming back?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AndyElusive posted:

Member when people were stoked that the Zygons were coming back?

We were caught up in the hype of Ten being back.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

K9 has been spotted on set.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

It was a fan-made prop that someone brought along, apparently.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

cargohills posted:

Wow, Capaldi just can't stay away, can he?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

cargohills posted:

Dang. :(

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Good cover

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Alan Cumming to play James I in an upcoming ep.

Lance Parkin had this great idea about it:

Lance Parkin posted:

You know what would be brilliant? If they did this as a re-run of the Tennant/Elizabeth I thing, but now it's Jodie, so they do it with James I, and James I is like 'I usually go for guys' and she said 'no problem, I'm usually a guy' and then the next scene is them on their wedding night. And, I dunno, then they fight witches or the Gunpowder Plot or something, if that's not fifty minutes' worth of material.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
This Radio Times article suggests we’re getting an episode set in India’s past too, to explore the backgrounds of both companions.

I did see somewhere that actually filming in India is going be on the cards, but it’s not this article.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Alan Cumming to play James I in an upcoming ep.

Lance Parkin had this great idea about it:

Alan Cumming is in Who and he's NOT the Master? The gently caress are you doing Chibnall?!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Gaz-L posted:

Alan Cumming is in Who and he's NOT the Master? The gently caress are you doing Chibnall?!
Seriously, the Master is the one other character where Cumming could justifiably reuse the line "Yes! I am inviiiiiincible!"

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Are you sure?

Rearrange James the First...

and you get Master (something)!

That's probably good enough for the Master!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thexerox123 posted:

Are you sure?

Rearrange James the First...

and you get Master (something)!

That's probably good enough for the Master!

Master Fist.

(With a J, an H and an E left over.)

Toilet Terror
Aug 5, 2006
Swirlie
You can also get "JF is the Master"

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Master Fist.

(With a J, an H and an E left over.)

or "Is The Master" with a J and an F left over.

E:FB

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Alan Cumming is a good get. I can't wait so see him ham it up. This and the idea of a colonial India episode with a modern budget have immediately compensated for "Rosa Parks fights the Zygons".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Hmm, yeah... Sorry, Chris, but we can't give you as much money as you'd asked for. Maybe instead of going to India and recreating a British Raj setting, the characters could just go back to 1984 and debate whether The Jewel In the Crown is better than A Passage To India?"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’m hoping this actual worldwide travelling/filming leads to a proper Japan-set story.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The_Doctor posted:

I’m hoping this actual worldwide travelling/filming leads to a proper Japan-set story.

Finally, the much anticipated release of the unmade classic, Yellow Fever And How to Cure It. :v:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 18, 2018

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Mameluke posted:

Alan Cumming is a good get. I can't wait so see him ham it up. This and the idea of a colonial India episode with a modern budget have immediately compensated for "Rosa Parks fights the Zygons".

It fills me with dread, personally. If they’re deluded enough to think Rosa Parks is a sensible setting for a BBC show with a white protagonist, why won’t they gently caress up British colonialism in India? (Or worse, whitesplaining India’s internal class issues, whether Britain’s in there or not.)

I’ll be glad if I’m proven wrong and these are both handled sensitively, but I have a hard time seeing what that looks like in either case, let alone both in the same season. Even the decision to take them on feels entitled.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The main hope, I think, is that since India and Britain have a far more

Personal

History

They'll know better than to gently caress it up.

Rosa Parks and the American Civil Rights stuff? That's about as in their wheel house as the Russian Revolution

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

pgroce posted:

It fills me with dread, personally. If they’re deluded enough to think Rosa Parks is a sensible setting for a BBC show with a white protagonist, why won’t they gently caress up British colonialism in India? (Or worse, whitesplaining India’s internal class issues, whether Britain’s in there or not.)

I’ll be glad if I’m proven wrong and these are both handled sensitively, but I have a hard time seeing what that looks like in either case, let alone both in the same season. Even the decision to take them on feels entitled.

Dread? Really? :rolleyes:

Are people so terrified that Doctor Who will do something racist and they will have to BOYCOTT IT FOREVER that the show can no longer depict Earth history at all because the actor and showrunner are white?

Do you have zero confidence that white writers and actors can show any culture but their own without being devastatingly racist?

If this is the case then the show should just be cancelled now.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Astroman posted:

Dread? Really? :rolleyes:

Are people so terrified that Doctor Who will do something racist and they will have to BOYCOTT IT FOREVER that the show can no longer depict Earth history at all because the actor and showrunner are white?

Do you have zero confidence that white writers and actors can show any culture but their own without being devastatingly racist?

If this is the case then the show should just be cancelled now.

You're doing a lot of straw manning recently over people being concerned about whether a Very White BBC programme can handle issues of historical racism with class and poise.

The reasons people are concerned are pretty obvious - a poor history of (British) television (and, recently, Doctor Who in particular) with racial issues either historical or contemporary; the rise of far right views being acceptable to present in a public forum; Chibnall's personal lack of nuance when writing for the Doctor Who universe.

Furthermore, being unoptimistic is a very very different statement to "I will boycott it forever if Doctor Who does anything racist" - especially because (as intimated above) anyone who boycotted the show forever if it was racist wouldn't still be watching it after The Zygon Inversion.

Please try to approach this issue with a bit of nuance, rather than flying off the handle like an entitled child. In addition, I'll note that your sniping about this has also appeared in the main thread - would it hurt you to keep your toys in the spoiler thread pram, rather than talking obliquely about spoilers in the non-spoiler thread?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

What a surprise, Astroman is throwing a cringe-worthy tantrum over the fact that a lot of people think involving a white, British alien and the Zygons in a hallmark moment in the American Civil Rights movement is a thunderously bad idea. A bunch of posters are going to tell him that the vicarious embarrassment of watching him try to talk about this is worse than watching The Twin Dilemma on a loop, but he'll double down and continue arguing with a kind of smug vitriol that his uninformed opinion doesn't earn, until, finally, he gets tired of everyone piling on to tell him to shut up and accuses everyone else of "derailing" the discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm tired of this derail because I want more spoilers.