Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

im changing my vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

This is too cool for the newbies, they do not deserve.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

Only registered members can see post attachments!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

TVsVeryOwn posted:

This is too cool for the newbies, they do not deserve.

Yeah the av has to be undesirable in some way, that rules

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Cephalectomy posted:

YOURE WELCOME PALBERT! I just dont have archives

It's not in the archives.

You are, however, right in that the meltdowns the current av provokes means it should stay.

Here you go.

Part 1:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837311

Part 2, see continuation on page after this post:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807635&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=17#post477328742

Soy Protein Addict
Nov 11, 2017

by Smythe

alnilam posted:

Yeah the av has to be undesirable in some way, that rules

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

super sweet best pal posted:

Suggesting we use that greasy brony as the new Stupid Newbie.

That was glorious.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

thats the one

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

FluffieDuckie posted:

it needs to be something we all enjoy seeing over and over that the user will want to change as soon as possible

Vargs posted:

Bring back the baby or toilet lord imo
TOILETLORD is unbeatable.

Xaintrailles has issued a correction as of 03:30 on Mar 18, 2018

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

Cephalectomy posted:

the trump av is perfect just because so many crybabies get upset over it. A husband/wife duo in the LP subforum had a giant shitfit about it and quit the forums forever when it was brand new

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

It's not in the archives.

You are, however, right in that the meltdowns the current av provokes means it should stay.

Here you go.

Part 1:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837311

Part 2, see continuation on page after this post:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807635&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=17#post477328742

My bad! Still fuckin hilarious though. I love it when lowtax gets a chance to dog on people.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

CheeseThief posted:

Bring back garbage dick.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I remember when garbage dick first came out I was reading the forums at work and somebody looked over my shoulder. It was just some regular thread with people talkin' poo poo. She was visibly disturbed.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Are we trying to find a better newbie AV, or trying to curse the forums?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

gently caress off gurf

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I remember when garbage dick first came out I was reading the forums at work and somebody looked over my shoulder. It was just some regular thread with people talkin' poo poo. She was visibly disturbed.

Uh if that isn't their first reaction, you might have found a fellow goon or a potential goon

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Dogmeat posted:

That's a good point, but I do gotta vouch for the fun little process of discovery for the rest of us when we slowly begin to realize they changed the newbie avatar as you notice more and more BonziBuddies or GARBAGE DICKS popping up and generally making bad posts and then you realize you haven't seen the old newbie av in a while and 2 plus 2 is four and you get a little chuckle.

Yeah that is fun, also I was wondering where this thread went then found it and I was going to post this from some other thread:

It's apparently some kind of weird wool suit sex fetish, which is a pretty funny undesirable thing to have as your av, but at a glance to most people it probably doesn't seem like anything horrible.

Slap the "Stupid Newbie" text on it, and it would be good. I know if I reged and was like "whats this av I have supposed to be?" and someone told me "wool suit sex fetish" I would want to change it.

Also it looks stupid and funny.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hrm yes thank you for explaining the joke

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I prefer my submission of Ernest Cline's stupid face, but this is very solid. If the admins give it a custom title under it like "Wool Fetish Doll" or something, it might help.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I can't stop this feeling

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Blast of Confetti posted:

hrm yes thank you for explaining the joke

I doubt everyone here read that other thread, especially since this thread was imported from another subforum. But, this thread is a 100% real request by the mod op for suggestions to change the newbie av, not just "make jokes about it", though yeah it should definitely be funny.

Or maybe you live a life where you see a weird wool suit and it is super obvious to you it's a weird fetish thing and can't fathom why that wouldn't be a given to everyone else. Then I don't know what to tell you.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hrm yes thank you for further explanation

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Glad to help there scout.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

gosh

Feb 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

alnilam posted:

Let's be honest here. The current default newbie av is.... unfortunate. I know I'm not alone in worrying that it might give newcomers the wrong impression if they don't know that it's just a joke default av. I've already known several posters to mistakenly think it was genuine, and I've heard a secondhand story about a lurker / SA newcomer being scared off thinking that SA was super into... that guy.

I call him cheetodud #TheResistance

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

super sweet best pal posted:

Suggesting we use that greasy brony as the new Stupid Newbie.

that pic for sure predates bronys

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Krusty Burger meme or Burger Pug, kudasai.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Trump av made me, a disabled poor, give Lowtax realbux to get it off me. Unclean, unclean. Ergo, 45 should stay in some form.

Like this. The clarity of the old with the nausea of the current.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Fair enough, the fat orange man being on there isn't terrible but saying trump lover on it is more what might give a newcomer the wrong idea imo, thinking they just walked into the_donald or something

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
lol if you're upset at the trump lover newbie avatar

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
STUPID

GOATMAN

feller
Jul 5, 2006

no gently caress you, eric

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Just stick to the stupid newbie one. Stop trying to sex everything up.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

eric posted:

lol if you're upset at the trump lover newbie avatar
I'm not upset, I just think the forums can do better.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

• Locked thread