Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

sticklefifer posted:

1) Fitz dies because FitzSimmons can't have nice things.
2) Deke comforts Simmons a little too well.
3) Deke's his own grandpa.

You're the worst kind of person. I hope you get a flat tire on your way home from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Medullah posted:

It does seem that they're aiming for a curve ball with Deke. It was a little on the nose when he wanted to have a catch with his pop.

Nah, they literally have DNA evidence.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

sticklefifer posted:

3) Deke's his own grandpa. gets another 6 pack of Zima

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

"A floating ship! You guys ever see anything like this before?"
Yeah
Yup
All the time.

I love how they were so blasé about it. :allears:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

3) Deke's his own grandpa.

Deke gonna do the nasty in the pasty.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I got to see a floating ship and a robot fight! Best day ever!

Also I completely missed how Deke figured out that Fitz Simmons were his grandparents.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Also I completely missed how Deke figured out that Fitz Simmons were his grandparents.

Fear Dimension Deke Mom said something that she used to always say. When Deke is going to tell Yo-Yo & Simmons that Coulson & Co. are back, Simmons says the same thing, but to Yo-Yo.

Between that, and the ring he got for the wedding reminding him of his mother's, who got it from her grandmother, he figured it out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I got to see a floating ship and a robot fight! Best day ever!

During the Fear Attack Deke sees his mother and she says the whole “the steps you take don’t need to big, they need to take you in the right direction” she mentions HER mom used to tell her that all the time.

And then Deke overhears Jemma using the exact same phrase with YoYo and it clicks.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kheldarn posted:

Fear Dimension Deke Mom said something that she used to always say. When Deke is going to tell Yo-Yo & Simmons that Coulson & Co. are back, Simmons says the same thing, but to Yo-Yo.

Between that, and the ring he got for the wedding reminding him of his mother's, who got it from her grandmother, he figured it out.

Ah okay, I thought something happened before that because my PVR hosed up and missed about a minute of episode from when Deke was fighting the Kree.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Also the monolith fragment was a family heirloom that Jemma's now keeping.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I wonder if Deke is the key in them preventing the bad future, like after so many loops, him coming along is the reason they are able to survive.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

achillesforever6 posted:

I wonder if Deke is the key in them preventing the bad future, like after so many loops, him coming along is the reason they are able to survive.

But if Deke is the one that got them their ring, and they had that ring in the future, that means in the original bad timeline, he went back in time to give his grandma the ring.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
I enjoyed seeing a giant, floating dilapidated boat.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

counterfeitsaint posted:

But if Deke is the one that got them their ring, and they had that ring in the future, that means in the original bad timeline, he went back in time to give his grandma the ring.

Fitz may have just gone to the pawnshop himself. It would be inconvenient, because he's wanted, but it's not something only Deke had the power to.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jetfire posted:

I enjoyed seeing a giant, floating dilapidated boat.

Finally the live action Super Mario 64 we've all been asking for years.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The General being HYDRA certainly makes all of this make more sense. Also, man, I can't believe Creel just joined them so easily.

PunkBoy posted:

Season 5, Episode 13: Principia
https://i.imgur.com/Z2hTspp.mp4

Holy poo poo, I totally missed this loving thing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RareAcumen posted:

The General being HYDRA certainly makes all of this make more sense. Also, man, I can't believe Creel just joined them so easily.

It's going to turn be revealed that General Hale is a good guy all along, right before Ruby kills her.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

RareAcumen posted:

Creel might not have seen much of a choice for himself. He was handed over while petrified to be a prisoner of the US Air Force, and I presume that he was only released from that on the condition that he worked for Talbot. Talbot's replacement rolling up and asking him to join a team might not have felt so much like an invitation as an order with the implication that he goes back into a box if he does not comply.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Holy poo poo, I totally missed this loving thing.

I could have sworn she specifically said that she wasn't Hydra, just that she knew about it and was well acquainted with Von Strucker. It's not like Marvel is hurting for obscure, evil organizations that want to take over the world. Maybe she's ex-AIM or something. Bonus points if she's part of 'The Committee' and we get Moon Knight this season (of course that isn't happening).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, she scoffed at Hydra but she's clearly Hydra adjacent. It's effectively the same "eh, the Nazis were idiots, we're about political and military power" and "eh, the political and military guys were idiots, we're about resurecting an alien god" type of thing. We just don't know what Hale's real ambitions or group is yet but she's tied up in that whole mess.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Fitz may have just gone to the pawnshop himself. It would be inconvenient, because he's wanted, but it's not something only Deke had the power to.

Maybe it's because I don't understand and hate time travel stories but I cant figure a reason why Deke couldnt have just been in the original timeline? There's been no indication that he makes the difference in a change. Has there?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't think Hale is connected to Hydra at all at this point. I think she just sees all this useful poo poo they left lying around and plans to reap the benefits.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well shes connected in that she worked with them in the past as confirmed by her and Von Strucker. But no, Hydra is dead now and she doesn't appear to by flying the banner. The implication is that it's a parallel group or something like that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Maybe it's because I don't understand and hate time travel stories but I cant figure a reason why Deke couldnt have just been in the original timeline? There's been no indication that he makes the difference in a change. Has there?

So far all indications are that things are playing out exactly the same way. Deke wasn't shown in the flashbacks but there's no reason so far to think he specifically wasn't.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Regy Rusty posted:

So far all indications are that things are playing out exactly the same way. Deke wasn't shown in the flashbacks but there's no reason so far to think he specifically wasn't.

Yeah, all we know is Deke wasn't in the snapshots we saw. He could have been in the background, he could be dead, he could have gone back to the Future. Who knows? It's just an assumption that him coming back in time was new.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I still want to believe that Hale is a Kree Infiltrator, or maybe even a Skrull.

I just realized that jackass in the future killed Simmons-Fitz's daughter.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm not entirely certain this show is above saving the world only to break our hearts by having Deek Marty McFly vanish because the future he's from no longer exists to break our hearts right after FitzSimmons learn he's their grandson and this is worrying me.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Maybe they’ll just stay in the time loop at the end of the season to really gently caress with us if they don’t get another season.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

LividLiquid posted:

I'm not entirely certain this show is above saving the world only to break our hearts by having Deek Marty McFly vanish because the future he's from no longer exists to break our hearts right after FitzSimmons learn he's their grandson and this is worrying me.

I am now imagining Deke watching that movie and then tries to make sure his grandparents bang so that he still exists.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I am now imagining Deke watching that movie and then tries to make sure his grandparents bang so that he still exists.

I forgot he didn’t figure it out yet and thought that was exactly what he was doing when he was convincing Simmons-Fitz have adult time.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Got drat, Shasta McNasty was a long time ago.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Proteus Jones posted:

During the Fear Attack Deke sees his mother and she says the whole “the steps you take don’t need to big, they need to take you in the right direction” she mentions HER mom used to tell her that all the time.

And then Deke overhears Jemma using the exact same phrase with YoYo and it clicks.
I know they needed it for a plot device, but having Simmons say that mere minutes after Deke's fear vision AND having Deke just happen to overhear the only time she's ever said it on the show was weak.

They might as well have hung a lampshade on it and had Simmons say "What do you mean, I always say that! It's like my catchphrase!"

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Man I can't wait for the world to be destroyed because of TEENAGE ANGST.

okay I get it that her mother is a loving monster training her to become a weapon but still.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just want Mack to be happy. That dude has been the heart of the show since he showed up. Helped Fitz through his brain problems, was bffs with Bobbi (that bar scene when she left :( ), forgiving Daisy when she couldn't after she almost killed him via Hive, everything with Yo-Yo, especially getting her arms (and beer) this past episode... :unsmith:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ApeHawk posted:

Man I can't wait for the world to be destroyed because of TEENAGE ANGST.

okay I get it that her mother is a loving monster training her to become a weapon but still.

I suspect it's the other way around.

(Mostly because Creel seems to be a genuinely good guy.)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Regy Rusty posted:

The chronochron that got blown up said that he’s never seen Deke before. Since their job is to chronicle everything that happens I think the implication is that this is a new timeline.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

The chronochron that got blown up said that he’s never seen Deke before. Since their job is to chronicle everything that happens I think the implication is that this is a new timeline.

That part would have played out the same either way, though? It's Deke's first appearance in this part of the timeline, thus the chronocom would never have seen him before regardless of if he was present in the flashbacks previously. I'm onboard with the thought of this being a new timeline though, despite Deke still hasn't explicitly done anything that couldn't have happened without him.

The chronocoms seem to work in linear time, the timeline they follow hasn't been the same as the one Shield has experienced. For him the shield group were sent into the future a couple months ago, and he'd just been told that they'd get back to the base at some point, if everything went as planned. Losing Enoch in the future probably meant that they lost a lot of valuable info on the timeline, since he didn't survive to get back and update them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

If those guys were able to keep track of multiple timelines they'd be a lot better at fixing this mess.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Last week we learned that Ruby's powers include lipnosis.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
So where is Enoch now? In outer space with the other Fitz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

So where is Enoch now? In outer space with the other Fitz?
I think the writers want us all to forget that Enoch and Fitz' body are just chillin' in this timeline because it just gets too weird and paradoxy. Like, if they save the world, what are they going to do with frozen Fitz?

Their time-travel stuff is all messed up with paradoxes unless they spell out very specific rules about each timeline existing in parallel dimensions where they don't necessarily wipe each other out. I guess we'll find out for sure at the end of the season if Deke disappears BttF-style or if he stays because his original timeline still exists in an alternate dimension.