Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PriorMarcus posted:

I think he was simply planning to sell them to Earth. Earth had been illegally building stealth ships ready for war. The Protomolecule changed plans and Mao used the ships he had built.

I think they were built to do exactly what they did, start a war, so they could sell protomolecule stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Not sure if a TV show will ever yank my jaw to the floor as hard as the Adama Maneuver did in Battlestar Galactica. Warping into the atmosphere and free-falling while launching all fighters, then warping out just above the ground, in-turn decimating ground troops as well. gently caress that was hardcore.

This show is getting close.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

AwkwardKnob posted:

Not sure if a TV show will ever yank my jaw to the floor as hard as the Adama Maneuver did in Battlestar Galactica. Warping into the atmosphere and free-falling while launching all fighters, then warping out just above the ground, in-turn decimating ground troops as well. gently caress that was hardcore.

I never liked BSG as much as a lot of other people, but that scene had me literally pumping my fist, saying 'Ffffffuck yeeeaaah!' and remains one of my favorite shooty space show things out of all the shooty space shows Ive watched.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

AwkwardKnob posted:

This was probably the best sfx sequence that had been put on film, it maybe still is...

Happy to be proven wrong.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

This was probably the best sfx sequence that had been put on film, it maybe still is...

Happy to be proven wrong.

Probably. It definitely gave us a great meme.

I do love the overkill of the Tochi's guns blazing though.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

I cannot wait for them to hit some of the later scenes to let Bobbi be the biggest baddass.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

AwkwardKnob posted:

All hands brace for turbulence.

I still get pumped just thinking about that scene.

Back when that aired. I was Djing in various nightclubs with multimillion dollar sound systems. Sometimes to check out how good the system was or just when I felt like it I would pop in early load up that scene on the AV system and just blast it. Felt good.

Raged fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 16, 2018

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

AirborneNinja posted:

I cannot wait for them to hit some of the later scenes to let Bobbi be the biggest baddass.

Yeah her Power Armor scene in S2 was a huge letdown

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't even remember a power armor scene. Are those space suits meant to be the power armor?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they smuggled her armor onto the ship she and Avasarala were on and she used it to beat up JP Mao's goons.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

uber_stoat posted:

they smuggled her armor onto the ship she and Avasarala were on and she used it to beat up JP Mao's goons.

This was a great and cathartic moment for her in the books: she gets to physically take out her rage from her squad being murdered by literally beating people to death with her power armor (couldn't get ammo aboard). The show's montage of this moment played like they just ran out of the SFX budget in the last episode. Something was lost in translation from page to screen.

In comparison, Amos' "GRENADE!" scene played out exactly as it was written on the page, although that is probably all down to the foley artists. So much of the books was obviously written with adaptation in mind, it's surprising more isn't lifted directly from the page since the changes are often a detriment to the story or scene.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't even remember a power armor scene. Are those space suits meant to be the power armor?

In the books it's described as bulkier and taller, more like how space marine armor looks in Warhammer 40k although not quite that massive and broad. Kind of the traditional power armor type thing, actually what marine/Raynor armor looks like in Starcraft 2 is also a good reference point. I don't particularly mind it since you'd basically have to vfx it in which would probably look lame, and they seem to have found a decent compromise. If they could do it and have it look good then having Bobbi be around 8 feet tall with massive gauntlets and a minigun in the hand that fires 3,000 rounds a minute or whatever insane rate they said it had in the books would be fun though.

ATP_Power posted:

In a later scene (I think it's after they get on the Tachi, and Alex is watching the Martian news) there's a report on in the background referencing Diogo's uncle getting killed but it's framed as the Martian frigate being attacked by OPA terrorists and them destroying the ship.

Oh I totally missed that, that's a nice touch. Glad to see they do little tidbits like that.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

This was a great and cathartic moment for her in the books: she gets to physically take out her rage from her squad being murdered by literally beating people to death with her power armor (couldn't get ammo aboard). The show's montage of this moment played like they just ran out of the SFX budget in the last episode. Something was lost in translation from page to screen.

In comparison, Amos' "GRENADE!" scene played out exactly as it was written on the page, although that is probably all down to the foley artists. So much of the books was obviously written with adaptation in mind, it's surprising more isn't lifted directly from the page since the changes are often a detriment to the story or scene.

Having just rematched the grenade scene, I can't get over how stupid they were for not locking the door after they threw it, especially if they had a barely restrained proto-soldier a few dozen feet away. It is one scene where I would have preferred a change from the book.

Also, didn't Bobbie have ammo in the books on the ship? I distinctly remember something about the caliber of the bullets being able to avoid puncturing the ship's hull, allowing her to go hogwild.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

MooselanderII posted:

Having just rematched the grenade scene, I can't get over how stupid they were for not locking the door after they threw it, especially if they had a barely restrained proto-soldier a few dozen feet away. It is one scene where I would have preferred a change from the book.

Also, didn't Bobbie have ammo in the books on the ship? I distinctly remember something about the caliber of the bullets being able to avoid puncturing the ship's hull, allowing her to go hogwild.

It's been a while, but I think they left the ammo to avoid munitions detection.

As for the grenade scene: not a surprising oversight from a bunch of scientists and two guys who's primary job is to keep the scientists from killing each other and probably didn't count the fuse correctly. Remember: ProtoGen Security isn't to keep the facility secure, but to keep the workers from murdering each other over banalities like "he took my spot! That's ~MY~ spot!"
:eng101:

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
Season 2 is on Amazon Prime now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Everytime there's some "Firefly was screwed" thing, I always recomond The Expanse, and boy howdy to people get salty. I realize they aren't really looking for a "realistic sci fi that takes on social issues caused by colonization" but they just want the twee Whedon stuff like everyones a cowboy in space and hahah look at Janes hat.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

twistedmentat posted:

Everytime there's some "Firefly was screwed" thing, I always recomond The Expanse, and boy howdy to people get salty. I realize they aren't really looking for a "realistic sci fi that takes on social issues caused by colonization" but they just want the twee Whedon stuff like everyones a cowboy in space and hahah look at Janes hat.

I love both shows but there are some very stark differences between them, and Expanse is far more ambitious in the story it wants to tell. Not that a lower ambition was a bad thing in Firefly, focusing on the crew there really worked and I'd say the characters in general there are deeper in general than those in the Expanse. Firefly is also just a way funnier and funner show, so that's a big tool in it's toolbox that the Expanse rarely has, but it also doesn't hit the dramatic heights or the stakes that Expanse does at times.

I don't really get liking one show and not the other, but that may just be that I can't picture not liking either one of these fine television programs.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

highlighting my point that the show has failed power armor

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

MooselanderII posted:

If I recall correctly, she either didn't have ammunition or couldn't use it because it would put holes in Mao's pretty but fragile ship. I think she ends up taking a more ship-friendly gun off one of Mao's security guys.

Re: how her power armor looks in the books, I always picture something fairly bulky, but the book's descriptions really put it closer to Iron Man than a Starcraft marine. It's designed to be able to fit through whatever service hatches and crawlspaces a human could normally get through, for instance.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

twistedmentat posted:

hahah look at Janes hat.

Jayne's hat < Tom Jane's hat

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, the armor has to be compact enough that it can be used in ship to ship actions. I seem to remember a larger armor suit from the book (which gets owned by protoman) but it's not in the show, for budget reasons I suppose.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

yeah, the armor has to be compact enough that it can be used in ship to ship actions. I seem to remember a larger armor suit from the book (which gets owned by protoman) but it's not in the show, for budget reasons I suppose.

Again... can we not have book spoilers in the TV topic, please?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

48 Hour Boner posted:

Jayne's hat < Tom Jane's hat

Or even just his hair.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 18, 2018

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

Is it a spoiler for things that already happened?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

uber_stoat posted:

Yea, the Martian squad that gets attacked on Ganymede has a bigger armor/ mech with them, it's not just the Marines that get torn up by the proto monster.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

He was talking about the scene where Bobbie's unit gets taken out that they didn't even show in the TV show. There's a big guy of some sort in her unit, but I don't remember the details myself. There was decidedly no big guy in the TV series so it's not a spoiler about anything that'll be on TV.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

MooselanderII posted:

There was, but you've got it backwards -- she said that the Protogen soldiers on board weren't going to have anything that was strong enough to puncture the ship's hull, so she was going to be more or less invincible in her her power armor and wasn't worried about not having a gun.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That reminds me, when the Protogen marines board the Donager, they have this weird regenerative stuff going on, which I assume was technology adapted from the protomolocule, but that seemed at odds with what we see later, as that seemed more advanced and controlled than what happened at Eros and even the Protomonster thingies.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I always read it as just basic tech that was far too expensive for the OPA or any small time player.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

NowonSA posted:

I love both shows but there are some very stark differences between them, and Expanse is far more ambitious in the story it wants to tell. Not that a lower ambition was a bad thing in Firefly, focusing on the crew there really worked and I'd say the characters in general there are deeper in general than those in the Expanse. Firefly is also just a way funnier and funner show, so that's a big tool in it's toolbox that the Expanse rarely has, but it also doesn't hit the dramatic heights or the stakes that Expanse does at times.

I don't really get liking one show and not the other, but that may just be that I can't picture not liking either one of these fine television programs.

The correct answer to the question is "Dark Matter." Also, if you ever wanted to see what would have happened to the fanbase if Firefly got multiple seasons, read the Dark Matter thread and just replace every instance of that show's title with "Firefly."

Johnny Truant posted:

:nallears:

twistedmentat posted:

That reminds me, when the Protogen marines board the Donager, they have this weird regenerative stuff going on, which I assume was technology adapted from the protomolocule, but that seemed at odds with what we see later, as that seemed more advanced and controlled than what happened at Eros and even the Protomonster thingies.

Yeah, I got the impression that was reverse-engineered from proto-goop, but is still relatively primitive compared to the hybrid-monster from season 2. The suit didn't regenerate, so much as seal itself off: wasn't one dude's arm severed and it just closed over the wound? Pretty neat trick for an undersuit: performs wound triage and maintains suit integrity. But compared to just straight up operating in a vacuum and giving zero-fucks about being shot full of bullet holes: yeah...primitive.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

AirborneNinja posted:

Is it a spoiler for things that already happened?

Eiba posted:

He was talking about the scene where Bobbie's unit gets taken out that they didn't even show in the TV show. There's a big guy of some sort in her unit, but I don't remember the details myself. There was decidedly no big guy in the TV series so it's not a spoiler about anything that'll be on TV.

Ohh gotcha, my bad! I didn't put two and two together when reading the sentence. I just started book 1 so I'm overly sensitive about it I guess, ignore me, carry on, carry on.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Phenotype posted:

There was, but you've got it backwards -- she said that the Protogen soldiers on board weren't going to have anything that was strong enough to puncture the ship's hull, so she was going to be more or less invincible in her her power armor and wasn't worried about not having a gun.

That's it, I knew the caliber of the bullets played some role in her being unstoppable. Thanks.

Anyways, for what it's worth I don't mind the depiction of the power armor on the show. I thought the scene where Bobbie wins the arm wrestling match with a suit arm conveyed all you needed to see to know how motorized they are, while a StarCraft marine would look a little silly. Still, it would have been nice if they had played up her size a lot more. One of the weakest parts of the show is when she beats the big Martian protomolecule plot out of that chaplain, as it looks like he gives up a huge national secret after just a few hits, especially after he had just ranted about how her generation didn't believe in sacrifice. Playing up her large looming presence would have at least conveyed he was a hypocritical coward, which would have helped sell the scene.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Everytime there's some "Firefly was screwed" thing, I always recomond The Expanse, and boy howdy to people get salty.

They just don’t like that there are actual Asian people in The Expanse.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
China runs the world!

but there are no Chinese people around for some reason mumble mumble.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

head58 posted:

They just don’t like that there are actual Asian people in The Expanse.

Oh god I brought that up and people kept insisting that the Tams were part Chinese, yea but not the loving actors. I love how Belters have this weird hybrid language and completely alien accents.

Yeah, I got the impression that was reverse-engineered from proto-goop, but is still relatively primitive compared to the hybrid-monster from season 2. The suit didn't regenerate, so much as seal itself off: wasn't one dude's arm severed and it just closed over the wound? Pretty neat trick for an undersuit: performs wound triage and maintains suit integrity. But compared to just straight up operating in a vacuum and giving zero-fucks about being shot full of bullet holes: yeah...primitive.

I may be remembering it wrong, but the Protomonsters seemed to result from "lets expose people to the protomolocule and see what happens" which seemed pretty out of control while the suits seemed very targeted application.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I really don't think the suits were proto tech, but I can see why folks would think that. Before Eros, the Protogen team didn't have much protomolecule, and couldn't even keep it properly contained during the Phoebe experiment, much less develop and build items based on it. It just doesn't add up that they'd somehow reverse engineered any aspect of the PM and incorporated it into space suit designs when all they had for data and samples were from Phoebe. I think it was just military grade tech in hands that shouldn't have had it, just like the stealth ships.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

twistedmentat posted:

I love how Belters have this weird hybrid language and completely alien accents.

And that's what the language in Firefly would actually be like IRL. A weird mix of English and Mandarin, not just perfect English and using Mandarin for swearing.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

ATP_Power posted:

It just doesn't add up that they'd somehow reverse engineered any aspect of the PM and incorporated it into space suit designs when all they had for data and samples were from Phoebe. I think it was just military grade tech in hands that shouldn't have had it, just like the stealth ships.

Yeah, if I recall correctly, military suits have all sorts of features like limited self-repair and automated first aid.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Regenerating suits is something nobody else has. I think the Protogen suits look dumb as hell, and they shouldn't have made them regenerate for no reason in one scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't really get what those dudes were. Were they normal people in fancy suits? Seemed weird that the guys hand was cut off and then the suit healed over it.