Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Craptacular! posted:

Apple TV screensavers exist in another dimension where cars all move at the same speed in perpetual formation, nobody ever changes lanes, every body of water looks clean and every brand logo on a skyscraper has been scrubbed aside from one Dubai building wrap for Tim Hortons that even the wizards of this universe couldn't quite delete.

Trying to make sense of what you see in them is a recipe to go mad. Just accept that they're what Superman sees on his casual days.

Until you see this rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Are the HDR and resolution scaling still kind of a mess on Apple TV, or have they improved it over some subsequent updates?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
It has options to match framerate and dynamic range of source content now. The 1080 videos I've watched look fine on my 4k tv.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The only problem I’ve had is if you use the native frame rate setting on Amazon video it can get into some pretty bad lip sync.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

serebralassazin posted:

It has options to match framerate and dynamic range of source content now. The 1080 videos I've watched look fine on my 4k tv.

That was supposed to require app updates to support it. Did apps update?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there a HomeKit thread? I’m trying to figure out why neither of my Apple TVs show up in HomeKit.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
You could try the Home Automation thread.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Is there a HomeKit thread? I’m trying to figure out why neither of my Apple TVs show up in HomeKit.

AppleTVs don’t show up in HomeKit, though they can act as the hub device.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kalman posted:

AppleTVs don’t show up in HomeKit, though they can act as the hub device.

Oh lame. I was hoping to use the HomePod to tell Siri to turn the Apple TV on and open an app. Guess we aren’t quite living in the future.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Oh lame. I was hoping to use the HomePod to tell Siri to turn the Apple TV on and open an app. Guess we aren’t quite living in the future.

You can do that... if you have a Harmony remote and set up Homebridge to control it. (Though opening a specific app is unreliable.)

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

smackfu posted:

That was supposed to require app updates to support it. Did apps update?

Oh, sorry. I was unaware it needed to be added by individual apps. I thought it was more of system level thing where it just sent out whatever video it was getting from the streaming service. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere that Netflix, Amazon added it but then they don't really have useful release notes for their updates.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kalman posted:

You can do that... if you have a Harmony remote and set up Homebridge to control it. (Though opening a specific app is unreliable.)

Ah ok well I don’t think I’ll go that far. It just seems a little odd that you can’t do that though.

I do love my 4K box though.

Altos Adventure is great fun on the big screen.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

New version of AppleTV Remote app for iOS, v1.2.3, bug fixes.

It's in the App Store

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm surprised that app is maintained at all given that they built it into iOS.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is the “Apple updates your HD iTunes purchases to 4K HDR” policy a permanent, ongoing thing? Or was that a one time thing to promote the AppleTV 4K release?

I ask because there’s a few things on sale in the store right now that don’t have 4K HDR versions, but probably will have them in the next couple months. (The Matrix, specifically, but also Beetlejuice and The Goonies)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is the “Apple updates your HD iTunes purchases to 4K HDR” policy a permanent, ongoing thing? Or was that a one time thing to promote the AppleTV 4K release?

I ask because there’s a few things on sale in the store right now that don’t have 4K HDR versions, but probably will have them in the next couple months. (The Matrix, specifically, but also Beetlejuice and The Goonies)

AFAIK it’s an ongoing thing. So if there’s a 4K release of an HD title you purchased, then you also get access to that when its released. Of course if you bought the SD version, you don’t.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

It should be permanent. Disney didn't want UHD for the price of HD, so theirs are still HD-only.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah Disney not playing ball sucks. I bought Last Jedi and the only way to watch it 4K is with a UHD Blu-ray player, which I don’t have, or the VUDU app on my TV, since the ATV app doesn’t do 4K yet.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah Disney not playing ball sucks. I bought Last Jedi and the only way to watch it 4K is with a UHD Blu-ray player, which I don’t have, or the VUDU app on my TV, since the ATV app doesn’t do 4K yet.
UHD discs also come out something like three weeks after they're on iTunes, it's the dumbest thing

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Disney very much wants you to still buy discs.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Daniel Bryan posted:

Disney very much wants you to still buy discs.

Until they launch their streaming service.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I’ve been annoyed by the 2 or 3 second black screen flicker when going from the Apple TV menu to a video ever since I got my 4K TV and ATV 4K. The last straw was watching MLB.tv and their cool new “Catch Up” feature where if you want to watch a game already in progress you can choose “Catch Up” and it will show you quick clips of all the big plays in the game so far. They’re typically like 7 second clips so the 3 seconds of black screen every few seconds were maddening.

So I turned off “Match Dynamic Range” and my life is a million times better. Does this mean that everything is forced into HDR or nothing is showing in HDR?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
DISCLAIMER: I don't actually have a 4K ATV or 4K TV yet, but I'm planning to get one in the next month or so, so I've read a lot about it.

As I understand it, you're forcing everything to HDR now. A better fix would be to turn "Match Dynamic Range" back on, but change the default output of the GUI to SDR (not exactly sure what they call this in the menus). This should make the menus display in SDR, and your MLB clips display in SDR, and there shouldn't be a black flicker when you play them.

You'll still get the flicker when you load any HDR content, but that's to be expected.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

DISCLAIMER: I don't actually have a 4K ATV or 4K TV yet, but I'm planning to get one in the next month or so, so I've read a lot about it.

As I understand it, you're forcing everything to HDR now. A better fix would be to turn "Match Dynamic Range" back on, but change the default output of the GUI to SDR (not exactly sure what they call this in the menus). This should make the menus display in SDR, and your MLB clips display in SDR, and there shouldn't be a black flicker when you play them.

You'll still get the flicker when you load any HDR content, but that's to be expected.

Yeah this is what I wanted but I tried to find the option to turn off HDR in the menus and I couldn’t find it. I don’t give a poo poo what the dynamic range is when I’m looking at a grid of apps.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mahoning posted:

I’ve been annoyed by the 2 or 3 second black screen flicker when going from the Apple TV menu to a video ever since I got my 4K TV and ATV 4K. The last straw was watching MLB.tv and their cool new “Catch Up” feature where if you want to watch a game already in progress you can choose “Catch Up” and it will show you quick clips of all the big plays in the game so far. They’re typically like 7 second clips so the 3 seconds of black screen every few seconds were maddening.

So I turned off “Match Dynamic Range” and my life is a million times better. Does this mean that everything is forced into HDR or nothing is showing in HDR?

Hmm I haven’t noticed that when using the catch up feature. I’ll try it in a few and see if it does it on my LG 4K

Side note the catch up feature is an awesome addition.

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now

Mahoning posted:

You’ve done it backwards. Set your default to 4K SDR and keep matching on. Most things are SDR and your TV won’t freak out between highlights (mastered in SDR, no doubt)

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

OldSenileGuy posted:

Also note that if you get movies in your library via Movies Anywhere matching then you won’t get the 4K version unless you bought the 4K version from Vudu or the other participating stores.

Or at least so I’ve seen online. I now own an AppleTV 4K along with my ATV 3rd gen thanks to the DirecTV Now promo but still don’t own a 4K tv. Don’t understand why Apple won’t let me stream 4K to my 5K iMac.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

fordan posted:

Don’t understand why Apple won’t let me stream 4K to my 5K iMac.

There's a reason the iTunes thread is called: iTunes version <insert number> is out: Tell us how much you hate it

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Has anyone else's Apple TV suddenly become very quiet in the past few days? Like was there some recent autoupdate that hosed the sound up or something? I was ready to blame my cat since he's always climbing behind the entertainment center and whatnot, but it's not any sort of wiring issue -- it's even quieter when using AirPods, which now need to be drat near maxed out just to reasonably hear standup specials on Netflix (not exclusive to the Netflix app, all audio is lower.) Nothing else connected to the receiver is having any newfound low audio issues.

I've had to turn on the volume auto-adjust function on my receiver in the meanwhile, and I hate that since it pretty much ruins any semblance of dynamic range. Also doesn't do anything for the AirPods, obviously.

Edit: please disregard, problem went away on its own after a day or two. Weird.

enojy fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 5, 2018

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Can someone check something for me? Here's my problem:

Remember how Apple upgraded your HD copies of stuff to 4K if it was available? I'm missing a ton of 4k upgrades. Here's an example: Way back when I redeemed an ultraviolet code for The Dark Knight. When Movies Anywhere did their thing, I ended up with a 4K copy of the movie in my iTunes library. I checked today, and now it's just an HD copy. This happened to a lot of movies I have. The only one that is still 4K is Blade Runner 2049, since I actually purchased a 4K copy through VUDU.

Can someone see if that's happened to their poo poo?

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Can someone check something for me? Here's my problem:

Remember how Apple upgraded your HD copies of stuff to 4K if it was available? I'm missing a ton of 4k upgrades. Here's an example: Way back when I redeemed an ultraviolet code for The Dark Knight. When Movies Anywhere did their thing, I ended up with a 4K copy of the movie in my iTunes library. I checked today, and now it's just an HD copy. This happened to a lot of movies I have. The only one that is still 4K is Blade Runner 2049, since I actually purchased a 4K copy through VUDU.

Can someone see if that's happened to their poo poo?

I think they only give you the 4K version when streaming

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The Gillman posted:

I think they only give you the 4K version when streaming

Right. When I pulled the movie up on my Apple TV it only shows HD, when before it showed 4K. They’re all like this now.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

Right. When I pulled the movie up on my Apple TV it only shows HD, when before it showed 4K. They’re all like this now.

What did Apple say when you contacted them about it?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

What did Apple say when you contacted them about it?

I haven’t contacted them yet. I thought I’d ask here to see if anyone had a similar issue. I was hoping to narrow it down to either an account issue or if it’s something they are doing across the board.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
You aren't supposed to get 4K streams from Movies Anywhere code redemption. Only movies purchased directly from Apple were supposed to get free 4K upgrades. You probably just somehow got them when you weren't supposed to and they took them away from you.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

You aren't supposed to get 4K streams from Movies Anywhere code redemption. Only movies purchased directly from Apple were supposed to get free 4K upgrades. You probably just somehow got them when you weren't supposed to and they took them away from you.

I see. Well that explains that. I wonder why it took them that long to get to me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My MoviesAnywhere account never even worked on Apple stuff despite the system demanding that it’s synced up to my iTunes account.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
My movies that were upgraded to 4K are still all 4K. Doesn't matter whether I got them through Blu-ray codes via iTunes, Movies Anywhere or VUDU barcode scanning.

Besides the fact that they only show up as 4K on devices that can actually play 4K, I've also been through some back and forth with this on the Apple TV. A few months ago, all 4K upgrades were gone for a day or so, only to be back the following day. I've also had a third or so of my movies (and all my TV shows) disappear, only to have them reinstated the next day.

All that is to say that while I think it's possible that they're going to remove a lot of 4K upgrades, it's also possible that it's just one of their frequent hiccups.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

This isn't 100% true. If it was a 4k code to begin with it should update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigTeaBag
Dec 9, 2004
The Matrix is about black chicks.

Craptacular! posted:

How is this supposed to work then? I have some movies I purchased via amazon that were showing as 4K and now show as HD. iTunes doesn’t allow me to buy that movie unless I unlink movies anywhere.