Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Level 7/8 ice/conjurations spell Snowblower. Long-ranged cone shaped casting but works like searing ray where you keep hitting "." and it keeps blowing snow and icicles in whatever direction, and also pushes enemies back like force lance. You just keep snowblowing frozen enemies into a wall until they shatter (dealing icy aoe damage of course)

Speleothing posted:

Something to do with boulder beetles as curling stones?

Someone should make a vault where you have to freeze or petrify a boulder beetle as its rolling on some ice, and if it stops inside a circle you get a gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Floodkiller posted:

Nope, I definitely missed them. Thanks!

Fixed link here if the old survey didn't replace automatically (survey results should still carry over, you shouldn't need to fill it out again unless your 6th and 7th choices really matter to you):
https://goo.gl/forms/kmRUr3Lf8TH5V1x52

Midway through at the hell effects page it started telling me it required me to put a number for every row, so I couldn't just mark the ones I actually cared about. Did the options that sounded good, then I don't care, then the rest to indicate my preferences.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
by the way, there's some new loading screens I don't think anyone's mentioned

by someone named froggy

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Okay, I’ve got a MiBe that’s made it past V5 fairly easily. I kind of want to do some of extended but I’ve only done a 3 rune as a MiBe before. Should I switch gods to Zin or TSO? I’m assuming Abyss is the easiest next rune to get?

Also what should I use the 3 scrolls of acquire I have access to for? I don’t have any gaps in resistances but more slaying would be nice, I only have one amulet with slaying. As you can see my cloak and gloves slots could be better, so armor instead?

https://pastebin.com/Xvt5sUDE

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Okay, I’ve got a MiBe that’s made it past V5 fairly easily. I kind of want to do some of extended but I’ve only done a 3 rune as a MiBe before. Should I switch gods to Zin or TSO? I’m assuming Abyss is the easiest next rune to get?

Also what should I use the 3 scrolls of acquire I have access to for? I don’t have any gaps in resistances but more slaying would be nice, I only have one amulet with slaying. As you can see my cloak and gloves slots could be better, so armor instead?

https://pastebin.com/Xvt5sUDE

Slime is usually a lot more reliable than abyss.

Just be wary of shining eyes.

Also you might want to do zot through at least 4 first. It always works out better for me at least

And think about acquiring jewelry

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 18, 2018

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

IronicDongz posted:

by someone named froggy

these rule

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

jaclynhyde posted:

Are the questions meant to be required? I had quite a few with don’t know as 1 (since I hadn’t had experience with them either way), but I was required to give a rank to every row anyway. The first few questions were not required like this.

Arivia posted:

Midway through at the hell effects page it started telling me it required me to put a number for every row, so I couldn't just mark the ones I actually cared about. Did the options that sounded good, then I don't care, then the rest to indicate my preferences.

Those later ones were intended to be required, yes. This was specifically because they were "Approved" instead of "Approved with changes", so I didn't want people skipping past them without at least giving it a read since they will be going into the branch in some form at the end. If you don't care about the remaining options, feel free to do what you did and mark all the ones you don't care about as the last row. I'll still be able to read your preferences in order and I'll just skip the remainder after "I don't care".

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I still feel like I'd rather see Entropy Weavers have a delayed chant-style spell like ironbrand convokers' word of recall instead of removing SInv. Having to break LoS or kill them quickly just seems more thematic and interesting than the current "instantly randomly smites you with corrosion" or the suggested "drink a potion and they're harmless."

e: also bring back the old entropy weaver and vampire mosquito tiles, the new ones suck

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Decided to switch to TSO and did Tomb, beat it and got the rune without dying in my first ever attempt on Tomb:3, while also suffering Trog’s wrath at the same time :smugdog: Although I did burn all of my haste and blink potions/scrolls

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Welp

https://pastebin.com/E43XgMEt

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Burning all of your consumables came back to bite you?

Personally, I would've just toughed out Trog's Wrath somewhere safer.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Nah, I just died because I went too deep and got mobbed. I got another haste potion and could have blinked from equipment but didn’t because of course not

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

by someone named froggy

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

25952 | Orc:2 | Bought an encrusted plate armour for 532 gold pieces
25963 | Orc:2 | Identified the +10 plate armour of the Enchanted Forest {rF+++ rCorr Str-3 Stlth-} (You bought it in a shop on level 2 of the Orcish Mines)

that's a Nice fuckin' pickup at a low low price!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

what race(?) is that little dude in the foreground supposed to be? i love all of these

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
A spriggan. They have good reason to fear iron giants since one bad roll and woops there goes all your HP.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
first time i saw it i thought the gray dude was a player ghoul or something

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Permabuffs is the issue I really care about in the poll, so these are the buffs I noted:

--Infusion
--Regeneration -- Or just remove the spell, if possible.
--Excrutiating Wounds -- Or just remove the spell, if possible.
--Ring of Flames -- No effect on resistances.
--Iskenderun's Battlesphere -- Like Hellcrawl
--Cigotuvi's Embrace -- Like Hellcrawl
--Death Channel
--Transmutation Forms

But I want to bring up here the comment I made on the poll that Darkness, Ozo's Armor and Song of Slaying are problematic buffs and need a change, but they shouldn't become permabuffs. I'd recommend a strong buff to all three of those spells, but also sharpening the drawback, particularly for Ozo's armor. There should really be a reason you don't want to use the spell all the time. Even as a permabuff, it would just be really boring as well as weird for balance.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Floodkiller posted:

Nope, I definitely missed them. Thanks!

Fixed link here if the old survey didn't replace automatically (survey results should still carry over, you shouldn't need to fill it out again unless your 6th and 7th choices really matter to you):
https://goo.gl/forms/kmRUr3Lf8TH5V1x52

Okawaru Reform poll has 8 options but only 7 order-fields

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Teal posted:

Okawaru Reform poll has 8 options but only 7 order-fields

Are you sure it's Okawaru? I'm seeing 8 and 8 on mine.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Floodkiller posted:

Are you sure it's Okawaru? I'm seeing 8 and 8 on mine.

???

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

There's a scroll bar at the bottom.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Thank you comments person for pointing out that I meant Mar 17, not Feb 17 :negative:

(I won't make another link just for that)

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I feel like im kinda too retarded to fill in this poll...

*reads wall of text again*

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

code:
 The poll hits you.  You have been cast into the Abyss! 
lol

Thanks for all the work Floodkiller :thumbsup:

Feb 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

heard u like girls posted:

I feel like im kinda too retarded to fill in this poll...

*reads wall of text again*

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hyedum posted:

There's a scroll bar at the bottom.

:doh:

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Does anyone find it kind of weird that kiku grants corpses but the only guaranteed corpse-spell he gives is corpse rot? Like if he doesn't give animate skele/dead and simulacrum, his ability is only good for corpse rot and tormenting.

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009

baby delivery truck posted:

Does anyone find it kind of weird that kiku grants corpses but the only guaranteed corpse-spell he gives is corpse rot? Like if he doesn't give animate skele/dead and simulacrum, his ability is only good for corpse rot and tormenting.

Kiku can't not give a corpse animation spell.
Book 1 is guaranteed to contain animate skeleton.
Book 2 is guaranteed to contain animate dead OR simulacrum.

source: make_book_kiku_gift in randbook.cc

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Patashu posted:

Kiku can't not give a corpse animation spell.
Book 1 is guaranteed to contain animate skeleton.
Book 2 is guaranteed to contain animate dead OR simulacrum.

source: make_book_kiku_gift in randbook.cc

Learn DB seems to match my experience though. I made the comment because I'm constantly not getting any of them. Is what you're reading from before .21?

LearnDB posted:

kiku randbook
First book: One of (Pain, Animate Skeleton); Corpse Rot; Sublimation of Blood (replaced by the other level 1 if you cannot use it); one of (Regeneration, Vampiric Draining); Control Undead. (But you will never get a spell you can't cast due to your species.)
Second book: One of (Animate Dead, Cigotuvi's Embrace); one of (Agony, Excruciating Wounds); one of (Bolt of Draining, Simulacrum, Death Channel); Dispel Undead; and then one more of these possible spells that you didn't get already.

except in trunk at least cigotuvi's embrace is replaced with bjornir's clutch and control undead has been removed.

Unless the learnDB has been updated for trunk but before they removed control undead and embrace.

The wiki from .18 is the same as learnDB too, but than I just quickly ran through as a monk to a kiku shrine in .21 and got BOTH animate skeleton and pain with no corpse rot, so I guess .21 had it good but it's changed again in trunk.

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 18, 2018

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009
I did check 0.21 source code for this, you're right. Let me check trunk...

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/blob/master/crawl-ref/source/randbook.cc#L966

Looks like you have a 50% chance of getting sublimation of blood instead of animate skeleton in book 1. UNLESS you can't use sublim, then you're guaranteed animate skeleton.

2nd book seems to guarantee animate dead/simulacrum though, and nothing will overwrite it. So in the worst case (25%) you only get simulacrum, and in the best case (25%) you get skele and dead.

EDIT: And just for the record, I misread 0.21 source code. The '50% chance of sublim instead of animate skeleton' part is also true in 0.21.

Patashu fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 18, 2018

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Wait wait wait wait wait, they PUT BACK IN random starting stats? Are you loving serious? So instead of 500 quit DeWz's who wanted the max possible INT, we have Necros rerolling to get their favorite spells... This is, incidentally, 100% opposed to everything the main crawl branch has been working to for years now. Its adding back in scumming behavior, holy poo poo.

Edit: oh thank god I'm wrong, sorry. phew.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 19, 2018

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009

Serephina posted:

Wait wait wait wait wait, they PUT BACK IN random starting stats? Are you loving serious? So instead of 500 quit DeWz's who wanted the max possible INT, we have Necros rerolling to get their favorite spells... This is, incidentally, 100% opposed to everything the main crawl branch has been working to for years now. Its adding back in scumming behavior, holy poo poo.

This is for Kiku books, not Necro starting book.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can i get a couple opinions on this spriggan warper, mostly regarding their weird randarts and whether or not they should use them? currently playing sort of like an enchanter, i have shop access to book of enchantments, cantrips, party tricks, the warp, and fire (not usually what id go for as a spriggan but i mean hey ive got two rings of fire who knows it could work). i got access to a bunch of other shop books too but those seem less relevant

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/tollymain/tollymain.txt

how do people usually play warpers anyway, is it mostly just "melee character with escape buttons"

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
My biggest question is why you're packing two rings of magical power when there's that randart Wizardry ring that'll balance out the Int loss from your cloak? There's not many things that can drain your Strength at this point so sitting at 4 is perfectly fine and you're getting most of your damage from short blade stabs and slingshots (and would be a decrease of average ~19% penalty to base damage vs ~7.2% at your original stats if the str bonus is still calculated the same from 0.14). And if you're feeling like that's too big a shift then wear that *Corrode ring that's essentially a stat stick. Higher Int means greater percentages your hexes will apply so you don't need to cast them as frequently. And as a Spriggan Warper, you typically get to choose your battleground so if you're low you can blink and run away when you're low on MP.

Warpers tend to be played with a heavier weighting on ranged combat because of Portal Projectile, Leda's Liquification, and Blinking allowing you to maintain your distance.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Tollymain posted:

can i get a couple opinions on this spriggan warper, mostly regarding their weird randarts and whether or not they should use them? currently playing sort of like an enchanter, i have shop access to book of enchantments, cantrips, party tricks, the warp, and fire (not usually what id go for as a spriggan but i mean hey ive got two rings of fire who knows it could work). i got access to a bunch of other shop books too but those seem less relevant

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/tollymain/tollymain.txt

how do people usually play warpers anyway, is it mostly just "melee character with escape buttons"

Just run warper as a hybrid, even on a spriggan. Blink yourself/others around and hit things with a quickblade or lajatang. Think about picking up malign gateway (summoning AND tloc), some sort of animate skele/dead/simalcrum, and maybe work towards tornado since it's only one school and you can still hit things with a quickblade/lajatang/ranged weapon during it. Just always try to keep yourself safe with translocations, summons/undead and some charms.

Look for disjunction and dispersal too.

Don't forget about wands and evocables either.

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 20, 2018

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

:yikes:.jpg

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sage Grimm posted:

My biggest question is why you're packing two rings of magical power when there's that randart Wizardry ring that'll balance out the Int loss from your cloak? There's not many things that can drain your Strength at this point so sitting at 4 is perfectly fine and you're getting most of your damage from short blade stabs and slingshots (and would be a decrease of average ~19% penalty to base damage vs ~7.2% at your original stats if the str bonus is still calculated the same from 0.14). And if you're feeling like that's too big a shift then wear that *Corrode ring that's essentially a stat stick. Higher Int means greater percentages your hexes will apply so you don't need to cast them as frequently. And as a Spriggan Warper, you typically get to choose your battleground so if you're low you can blink and run away when you're low on MP.

Warpers tend to be played with a heavier weighting on ranged combat because of Portal Projectile, Leda's Liquification, and Blinking allowing you to maintain your distance.

up until the last couple floors the best thing i could think of with the junk i had was packing the mp rings and the guardian spirit amulet for survivability

e: why do i want the wizardry specifically? it only affects spell success rate, not spell power

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 20, 2018

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

You're at XL 15, I don't see the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Akett posted:

You're at XL 15, I don't see the problem.

Not for me, but orcs and poison don't mix really well. The bees all succumbed to a single zap from a wand of clouds.

• Locked thread