Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Sorry about the delay, people. Had a rough few days. will probably for real update tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
ABDFG

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Your opponent steps a quater-step back, and even before his foot hits the ground, you are on, him, a trio of blows driving him back towards the the wall as he frantically dodges the first and parries the subsequent two.
Just as your fourth blow is about to land, however, he sidesteps and ripostes!

You effortlessly glide back beyond the reach of his sword, but he seems to be gaining the advantage! He’s fast, strong, and has reach on you; and more than that, like you he is clearly well acquainted with THE BOOK OF CIRCLES, in which every worthwhile axiom of the way of the sword is written down. His sword sings true and well, sword and soul and mind moving as one.
Two strokes later, a your sword bats his aside, and you leap forward to push him back. He sidesteps, dancing around your sword to find and opening. And yet, the battle swings back to you!

And so it continues for a while. You revel in the rush of blood, your heart pumping in your chest, feet slapping against the stone floor as the duel waves back and forth, advantage shifting back and forth as one or the other forces the other to dodge or parry. Soon, the spectators begin chanting. The nomads stomp their feet again and again, shouting in yokudan. In response, the prisoners on your side shout your name as a chant. “Fa-ri-dah! Fa-ri-dah! Fa-ri-dah” they shout, again and again.

You pay it no heed. The battle rashes on, not to the rhythm of the chanting, but to the beat of rushing blood, blade against blade, feet against stone. It is a dance of near-misses, blades avoided in the last minute, desperate sidesteps to avoid killing blows.
As the duel blows first one way, then the other, it becomes clear that you are the superior swordsman, but only by a matter of degrees. A moment's falter could be your death. And your opponent is not without advantage, particularly in terms of stamina and reach.

Eventually, however, your aggression pays off. Gaining the advantage at a critical moment, to move forward just as he does, forcing him to overreach as you move in close, inches from him. You knock his sword-arm to the side with your left arm, and, with your superior footwork and an elbow to the chat, make him stumble back. You follow up with a swing of your sword, forcing him to attempt a low dodge, and, just as planned, he falls, unable to recover from the stumble. Before he can roll and recover, you leap forward, kicking his sword out of his hands. The room falls silent as you raise your sword to strike, and….

A: Stop your sword a hair’s breadth from his throat, demanding that he yield.
B: A, but you touch his neck with your sword drawing a drop of blood.
C: I cut his throat, killing him.
D: I cut out his eyes. This is considered worse than killing him in redguard culture, as it forces him to abandon his role as warrior and protector of how people.
E: I cut out his one eye. This is still considered a fairly bad punishment, but not quite worse than death.
F: I maim him in some other way, cutting off a nose or an ear. This is sometimes done in redguard culture, but generally to rivals and traditional enemies of your clan or family. Doing so would make me a total to the alik'r nomads, or at least this clan.
G: something else! Write in!

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

BA

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

AB

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
B

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

A

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
BA

Great writing!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

B

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
AB. poo poo that kicked rear end.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
ABC

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

B, a sword should never be drawn if blood is not to be shed. He will know and understand this as an honourable warrior and take no offence.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
AB

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

unimportantguy posted:

AB. poo poo that kicked rear end.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

BA

Great writing!

Glad you liked it!

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

You bring your sword down in a powerful stroke, stopping the moment you hit his neck, but with just enough force to draw a drop of blood, a drop that runs down his neck as a single crimson streak against the black background, and drips on the stone beneath him.

You look him straight in the eyes and demand his surrender.
“YIELD,” you say, your voice ringing out and echoing in the now dead-silent room. For a moment, you see his eyes flicker back and forth, as if searching for a way to fight back - an attempt that would surely mean his death, your blade already to his neck. But he thinks better of it, and, with a sigh, he closes his eyes and responds.
“I yield. The battle is yours,” he says, his eyes closed, unable to look you in the eyes in his shame. Half the room, the prisoners and guards arrayed around the edges of the room, cheer and shout at this, while his warriors openly stare in shock.

You step away, and he stands, slowly. With a deep breath, he meets your eyes and speaks.
“You are the better warrior. You will be welcome among us, once you see that the weakness of the empire cannot protect them. The empire crumbles and falls to infighting; weakened from within, it will eventually fall from without. When that day comes, i hope you will join us in defending the defenseless of hammerfell.”

That said, he turns to his men and begins shouting at them in ancient yokudan. You speak the language somewhat haltingly, having never used it to any great degree. You can’t follow every word, but it seems clear that he is telling them that they are moving out, though you cannot make out exactly where he is sending them.

One of his warriors, however, a young woman, younger than you, seems to disagree. She tells him that he is cowardly, and calls you a dishonorable dog of the empire. He responds that he wants no dissent, and seems to tell her that his is leader by right of skill.

In response, the young woman leaps upon him!
He is too fast for her, however, and uses a move very similar to the one you just used against him, getting in too close for her to use her sword and forcing her back and to the ground with footwork and a swing.
Like you, he brings down his blade to her neck, drawing blood. The next few lines they exchange, you don’t catch, but eventually he steps aside and she rises, and they begin leaving, out the way you came in. As they do, you see Gallus exchange looks and nods with the battle-mage, and puts his hand to his sword, slowly getting ready to draw it. He is clearly intending to either arrest or backstab your enemies as they leave, a grave breach of redguard honor under the circumstances. A grave breach of your honor, in fact. Tradition and honor demands that you stop them.

What do you do?
A:
I move over to him, put my hand on his, and whisper to him that it’s over, and that he doesn’t need to spill more blood.
B: A, but i tell him instead that i won’t let him spill more blood.
C: A, but i tell him instead that i will spill his guts all over the floor before he makes a traitor and a backstabber of me.
D: I move over to him and loudly demand to know what he thinks he’s doing.
E: I move over to him and louly tell him that i will not let him sully my honor like that
F: I move over to him and, without warning, run him through with my sword, then turn to face the battle-mage.
G: I warn my opponent subtly, with a whisper as he passes by me
H: I warn my opponent, loudly and obviously.
I: I ask Do’Zaro to make sure he doesn’t do anything stupid.
J: I catch his eye, nod, and make ready to fall upon my enemy as they leave.
K: Something else! Write in!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ABG

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Cur, I shall not let you destroy my honor

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

BG

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Clearly the only option is to call him on his poo poo

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

ABCEGI

We can gently caress him up later, Hex.

We ought let his commander gently caress him up later.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Culturally I feel c is most appropriate especially given how the other guy agreed to honourable terms and is actively abiding by them, but I do see your point.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Yo what the gently caress bro that was an honor duel. ABCE

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
ABCI
also K: A, but tell him "what the gently caress I just ended this now and you're going to start it over!? Don't do it! Let's finish the job and be over with it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
ABI, dude should be ecstatic, we just rescued hostages for him.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

BC

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
BI and K: Whisper "If you backstab them, the next time you clash they won't take prisoners."

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Ralith posted:

and K: Whisper "If you backstab them, the next time you clash they won't take prisoners."

Can I add this on to my existing vote or do I have to reissue my vote in full?

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 18, 2018

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
D

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Ralith posted:

K: Whisper "If you backstab them, the next time you clash they won't take prisoners."

also add this k to my vote as well

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

dont be mean to me posted:

Can I add this on to my existing vote or do I have to reissue my vote in full?

Yeah, you can always just add things to your vote.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
CEBAG

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Volmarias posted:

ABI, dude should be ecstatic, we just rescued hostages for him.
Rescued hostages and, unless I'm confused, completed our primary objective of capturing the magic room without anyone even getting injured. This will allow "two centuria of soldiers and a contubernium of battle-mages" to teleport in which should pretty well decide the fight, so not only is backstabbing here dishonorable, it's a pointless risk when we're about to entirely win the day regardless of the survival of these specific dudes.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Noticing Gallus’ expression, you walk over to him, real close, and put your palm on the pommel of his half-drawn sword. You lean in real close, your sword still drawn, and whisper to him.
“I have just saved your men, and spared you a dangerous fight with my own life on the line. You will not make a mockery of my honor by backstabbing these men after the matter is already settled. I will not Let You. Is that clear,?” you ask, looking him straight in the eyes.
A moment passes

He nods, and sheaths his sword.
With a small sigh, he shakes his head resignedly to the mage as well, and with a look over your shoulder, you confirm that the mage has relaxed as well, and lowered his hands.
You take a few steps back, and the Alik’r warriors leave the room while Gallus stares daggers at you.

As soon as they have, Gallus’ men and the other prisoners set about freeing the guards the Alik’r warriors had bound, and looting the room in general, which the guards pretend not to notice. The mage moves over to the magic circle in the corner of the room, and magicka begins flowing around her as she chants and begins activating it for teleportation.

Meanwhile, Gallus comes up to you, and draws you aside.
“Listen. This isn’t working; we can’t have two leaders, and I do not-”
A second heart is beating in your chest.
“Think the warden will appreciate it if we keep playing by your yokudan” - he spits out the word like a curse “ru-”
Blood rushing, muscles tightening; the smell of sweat and blood.
“-les. But you’ve done what we asked and freed this room. With your latest antics, i think”
Feet strike stone, hard, dancing around swords; your left hand twitches and tickles
“We’re about quit for you healing me, which i haven’t forgotten. Why don’t you and your men split, and I’ll”
A stabbing pain in your side, and a shock goes through your right hand, a shock like when your sword bites into bone. Your mouth tastes metallic, like blood.
“Make sure the warden keeps his word.”

What do you do?
A:
I Ignore gallus and run back towards the Bosmer prisoner we saved earlier, the one whose heart I felt beat in my chest.
B: A, but i ask all the other prisoners to come with me.
C: A, but i ask gallus, the guards, and the other prisoners to come with me.
D: A, but i ask gallus to come with me.
E: A, but i ask Do’Zaro to come with me.
F: Ignore the strange feeling, and accept gallus’ offer, shouting to the others that it’s time we bail.
G: Ignore the strange feeling, and accept gallus’ offer, but i run off on my own, finding the nearest exist.
H: Tell gallus that I’ll do it the official way, and help out, then wait for the warden to contacts his superior with a request for a pardon.
I: Something else! Write in!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
can't we agree and bring our crew to the bosmer? or is this agreement one of those bail asap things?

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

SniperWoreConverse posted:

can't we agree and bring our crew to the bosmer? or is this agreement one of those bail asap things?

Oh, sure. But running around inside the prison muddles things a bit, and it's going to take time to gather people, find a way out, etc. The question is "Do you run off right now," more than a question of your long term plans.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

We got any potions left?

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Blasphemaster posted:

We got any potions left?

A half-spent ring.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Huh. This is an interesting development.

EA is a terrible company but a good vote.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
E

I don't think it's reasonable (or necessarily prudent) to bring our whole posse with us at this point. They didn't sign up to help us do our own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
B. Thank him. Rally our troops, and lead toward our new waifu.

• Locked thread