Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's more the story is bad not that you shouldn't have ANY story. you need some kind of background for why you're on ocean planet and what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Low key story was good and interesting until spook face, then went past crush depth at approximate 1400m.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

What signposts did they remove during PR? As i mention, I stopped playing around the time the Cyclops caught on fire when you drove it at more than a snails pace.

And I think survival games need some kind of story, or at least something that drives you forward. I love creating bases and gear, but without the story, I'd do that and then not have any reason to go beyond that.

And all the ones I can think of have some kind of basic plot. Ark has collecting artifacts to unlock the bosses, 7 days to die has the constant 7 day cycle that gets you to improve your gear and defenses, same thing with the forest. I think the Long Dark has a goal of getting to safety?

But yea, no map is kind of BS. It just needs to map where you have been, and you can mark stuff on it. I keep forgetting where the floating island is until I put a becon there, which seems kind of silly considering how big it is.
I was being quite literal when I said they removed half the signals in the game :v:

They removed half destroyed lifepod signals (Because them popping into existence right as you are about to crash your seamoth into them deserves less indicators, obviously!). More plot locations like the Thermal plant no longer have a signal, as showcased by how many people even in this very thread have driven right past the lava castle and straight on to the containment facility. Etc.

People would not have to keep trying to claim vague clouds and waypoint signals vanishing in favor of "Go deeper :pseudo:" and "Lifepod 6 is a kilometer away from the crash site... No that's all your getting, it's so obvious amiright :downs:" if they were actually valid enough signposts to prevent people being unable to find them. Or worse, have driven right past them dozens of times due to the way the game handles rendering. Which is why seemingly obvious Lifepod 4, floating upside down on the surface, is probably one of the most missed lifepods in the game at this moment even for people who were told where it was.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 18, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I would say the story's biggest flaw is that you can easily forget there is one. Nothing pushes you to do it and if you take a break, it's easy to forget how to figure out what you're supposed to do.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I would find myself in the lost river repeatedly and it took until the end of the game to realize I could go the other direction and find the big tree.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
its funny because not having a map or signposting is simultaneously poo poo and one of my favourite things about the game - the way it sometimes feels like actual diving where if you lose your bearings, welp, you're lost (hope you're not in a cave)
but that also makes it really annoying to go where the game wants you to go, unless you know the area really well or you beacon the poo poo out of things to basically map it yourself.

having said that, i dont give a flying gently caress about the story, I just like to build bases and look at the pretty ocean

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I would say the story's biggest flaw is that you can easily forget there is one. Nothing pushes you to do it and if you take a break, it's easy to forget how to figure out what you're supposed to do.
This is pretty much the problem I'm having now. I haven't touched the game in a few weeks, and I have no idea what I'm meant to be doing next.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I was stuck for a good while because one of the signals pointing to a plot location deleted itself because I didn't get there fast enough.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Section Z posted:

For all the game's flaws, the fact it actually HAS a straight up plot with a finish line beyond "Well you found out the things. Back to the sandbox until you get bored and quit!" remains a strong point in it's favor.

That's what really did it for me with this game. It has a distinct beginning, middle, and end. And around the time you're probably getting bored with the survival aspect you're probably near the end anyway.

It just wraps up so nicely. Put more story in survival/crafting games even if it's kinda hokey!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
For the base price of the game it's pretty darn good.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Just finished it.

I got stuck finding the Alien thermal plant.

As in i circled the mound for about 4 hours. It wasnt until i watched some crappy 30 minute youtube that i found the entrance.

Then i was in the big pit 5, maybe 6 times before i realised there was a small crevase that let me go deeper.

Prawn suit is definetly good. I was going to make a 2nd cyclops (because my first was near the big tree) but the prawn suit with mk2 thrusters and grapple is about as fast as the seamoth, and can punch. Getting the thermal upgrades was probably the most useful thing though.

Was at the disease research, never self scanned, so the warpers werent too much of a problem on my way down.

Story is good enough.

No ingame map should a punishable crime these days.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I loved the poo poo out of the game up until the lava area. My savegame right at the start of the lava area got ruined by something; not sure what, but it sounds like a crash issue other people have reported with power transmitters. I started a new game and was able to rush back there in a fraction of the time, and then found out that there was only like half an hour of gameplay left and all my effort spent preparing and stocking up was a waste.

There isn't very much left aside from lore to find once you get to the Lost River and beyond. Every resource and all blueprints are found earlier except for like crystalline sulfur, nickel, kyanite, and blueprints for ion batteries and ion cells. I feel like there needs to be another couple of biomes before the final alien facility containing several more alien facilities with more resources and alien blueprints to find, with the final facility needing an extra level of depth upgrade to reach.

That would at least let you get some use out of the ion batteries and ion cells instead of giving them to you right at the end of the game. I'm sure there are a lot of cool things that you could do with alien tech and alien resources, too. Anything to make the endgame feel less barren.

But the first 90% of the game is fantastic at least.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I beat the game tonight. Overall I enjoyed it.

I think the thing the developers did the best at was creating a very alien environment. The shallows and kelp forest felt the most earthy but even they had a suitably alien feel to them. They don't need to be survival games but I would definitely be up for seeing more games taking place on weird alien worlds from these devs. The environments were interesting and the aliens had neat designs. Even the sky was pretty interesting to look at.

Looking forward to seeing how many new assets the expansion will have.

If I have one wish for the expansion or if they do a game like this again, it's that they go deeper and make the endgame less about going in a more or less straight line through caves. Pitch black open ocean will always be scarier. Underwater caves are really only scary when they're tight and labyrinthine.

Viridiant fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 18, 2018

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

I loved the poo poo out of the game up until the lava area. My savegame right at the start of the lava area got ruined by something; not sure what, but it sounds like a crash issue other people have reported with power transmitters. I started a new game and was able to rush back there in a fraction of the time, and then found out that there was only like half an hour of gameplay left and all my effort spent preparing and stocking up was a waste.

There isn't very much left aside from lore to find once you get to the Lost River and beyond. Every resource and all blueprints are found earlier except for like crystalline sulfur, nickel, kyanite, and blueprints for ion batteries and ion cells. I feel like there needs to be another couple of biomes before the final alien facility containing several more alien facilities with more resources and alien blueprints to find, with the final facility needing an extra level of depth upgrade to reach.

That would at least let you get some use out of the ion batteries and ion cells instead of giving them to you right at the end of the game. I'm sure there are a lot of cool things that you could do with alien tech and alien resources, too. Anything to make the endgame feel less barren.

But the first 90% of the game is fantastic at least.

Yes to all of that.

I had numerous 'forward' bases that in retrospect were a waste of time.

I still never found

1 light stick fragment (i found 1 but not the other)
1 Power cell recharge fragment (even after cheating in the blueprint)

And i think you need to go to the degassi base in the lost river to get the cyclops shield data dont you?

My son watches youtube of it. there is one guy with weeks logged in, massive bases, endgame unlocked. Still doesnt have the cutter. LOL
There needs to be set places to get stuff.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I have I think all blueprints except for ion stuff. I even have a little talking Markiplier bobblehead in my base. I'm build right on lifepod 2 so I'm gonna hop in my prawn and go walking off into that cave with the green water flowing through it and just see what's up. I fixed my CPU. After pulling down my PC and a friend's we found a bent pin on my processor. No idea how that happened. Straightened it and have had no issues.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Meskhenet posted:

The kicker is the scanner room 3D map is so cool. If you could build mapping pylons or something that transmit 3d data back to a map room, which also displays beacons as blips, I would've spent ages doing that even if it's completely option and ultimately useless.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I would like to combine like 20 scanner rooms to give me a full topographical map. With 4 range extenders it starts to go past the confines of the room.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Meskhenet posted:

the best games ever made lack a map.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Groovelord Neato posted:

How many of them were 3DoF, even before considering the rendering ranges making things even more problematic?

The lack of Map in Subnautica bugs people because the underlying problems highlight it's absence even more.

I bet those games you are fondly thinking of, even accounting for nostalgia, generally had better hints to prime locations than "Oh yeah, it's within 1 kilometer of X.That's all you get" and "Go farther."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 18, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Groovelord Neato posted:

Soulsborne levels aren't that complex. And they have signposts to help you navigate.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Soulsborne levels aren't that complex. And they have signposts to help you navigate.

Go find the bell tower! Where is it? Eh it's probably within a kilomoter of here. Also you can't see any of the world past arms reach except one specific landmark. Get to it, chosen.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 18, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Subnautica should of had a map that you make on your own. Even if its just something that portrays all your placed beacons and scanner rooms in a proper 3D image, it would make the map much easier to navigate while still requiring you to explore and place markers of your own.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Section Z posted:

Go find the bell tower! Where is it? Eh it's probably within a kilomoter of here. Also you can't see any of the world past arms reach except one specific landmark. Get to it, chosen.

I mean, yeah, that's cool.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Kraken posted:

Subnautica should of had a map that you make on your own. Even if its just something that portrays all your placed beacons and scanner rooms in a proper 3D image, it would make the map much easier to navigate while still requiring you to explore and place markers of your own.

Its slightly immersion breaking not to have some kind of map. After all the Seaglide has a built in map, and the scanner room displays a 3D rendering of the area. Why can't your PDA store this data like it can everything else you pick up/scan?

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Rutibex posted:

Its slightly immersion breaking not to have some kind of map. After all the Seaglide has a built in map, and the scanner room displays a 3D rendering of the area. Why can't your PDA store this data like it can everything else you pick up/scan?

cause trhe devs are haunted by a really stupid ghost

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

cause trhe devs are haunted by a really stupid ghost

No no, they put the ghost Leviathans at the edge of the map on purpose :downsrim:

It's realistic compared to just an empty void! What do hundreds of giant monsters eat in an empty void? gently caress you, that's what they eat.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Section Z posted:

No no, they put the ghost Leviathans at the edge of the map on purpose :downsrim:

It's realistic compared to just an empty void! What do hundreds of giant monsters eat in an empty void? gently caress you, that's what they eat.

They eat plankton, which the game literally tells you. They only try to tear you apart because they are very territorial.

I have a lot of problems with this game but the edge of the map being a ghost gently caress zone seems fine. Its a more interesting barrier than an invisible wall.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

They eat plankton, which the game literally tells you. They only try to tear you apart because they are very territorial.

I have a lot of problems with this game but the edge of the map being a ghost gently caress zone seems fine. Its a more interesting barrier than an invisible wall.
That's a shitload of invisible plankton for wall to wall leviathans to subsist on.

"It's okay because they are territorial" is the same defense people used for horrific blobs of dozens of bonesharks clipping into eachother in their rush to attack the player, so I admit I've lost the ability to take such arguments seriously.

If anything, the game taking place in a massive walled in canyon would be more interesting, and even further increase the tone of isolation than a wide open sky while giving a nice excuse for how small the map is horizintally. But that would involve the need to render such a spectacle on the horizon.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
....a lot of plankton is microscopic though. Also the water is filled with debris you can see floating around that is likely supposed to be, among other things, clumps of plankton. This seems like a really weird thing to nitpick.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Section Z posted:

That's a shitload of invisible plankton for wall to wall leviathans to subsist on.

"It's okay because they are territorial" is the same defense people used for horrific blobs of dozens of bonesharks clipping into eachother in their rush to attack the player, so I admit I've lost the ability to take such arguments seriously.

If anything, the game taking place in a massive walled in canyon would be more interesting, and even further increase the tone of isolation than a wide open sky while giving a nice excuse for how small the map is horizintally. But that would involve the need to render such a spectacle on the horizon.

There aern't swarms of them, there are only 3. You just happen to coincidentally run into them any time you go to the edge of the map.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I thought only the Sea Emperors ate plankton. I could have sworn I've seen the other leviathans chomping down on smaller animals.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Codex claims that ghost leviathans live off of grown fish and larger prey when they are juveniles. When they reach full size they migrate to the open ocean and begin feeding off plankton swarms instead.

So the juvenile in the lost river is actively hunting you down for lunch but the older ones just want you to gently caress off.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
So they really are just moody buttheads, drat.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Section Z posted:

Disagree. The ocean is huge. The ocean is bigger than a box. You have freedom to go wherever you want but there is nothing out there except for the tiny island you happened to crash land on. Putting you in a box gives you boundaries, gives you perspective that you can compare to.
Not having those boundaries creates a very different feeling of isolation than one of being trapped in a box. With a box, you can blame something else other than yourself for being unable to escape it.

Without it? It's all you.

Plus, y'know, literally nothing being out there (except things that want you to go away) it's a great boundary in and of itself. There's nothing interesting to see. The predators are there mostly to keep people from getting hoist by their own petard for exploring where there's nothing to explore :v:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

I could have accepted not having one at the beginning because of the whole "you crashed and now have literally nothing but a fire extinguisher and a damaged life pod" but never having a map, ever? That just doesn't fit. I can build scanner rooms and submarines. I have a PDA. This is a high tech situation once I scrounge up the poo poo I need to build it all. There should be some sort of actual mapping too available at some point. There just...isn't.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

3D maps are the pits

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I could have accepted not having one at the beginning because of the whole "you crashed and now have literally nothing but a fire extinguisher and a damaged life pod" but never having a map, ever? That just doesn't fit. I can build scanner rooms and submarines. I have a PDA. This is a high tech situation once I scrounge up the poo poo I need to build it all. There should be some sort of actual mapping too available at some point. There just...isn't.

Its too bad he has a futuristic space PDA instead of an Android tablet :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyPuyMXGj5g&t=180s

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 19, 2018

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

EponymousMrYar posted:

Plus, y'know, literally nothing being out there (except things that want you to go away) it's a great boundary in and of itself. There's nothing interesting to see. The predators are there mostly to keep people from getting hoist by their own petard for exploring where there's nothing to explore :v:

IIRC if you get far enough away (or at least down) from the actual map the game starts behaving strangely.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The codex notes that full grown Ghost Leviathans are incredibly territorial specifically because they need to eat tons of plankton to sustain themselves and thus need large territories to feed in. (they gang up on you in the Dead Zone just because they hate you)

Is there anywhere in the game you can see Leviathans fight each other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

The ghost Leviathan in the lost river is a juvenile? I must...process this. He is very large already, and is but a baby. I don't want to see a full grown one. Also why do the big fishes roar underwater? That bothers me. Not in a scientific sense but just on the sheer terror scale.