Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
The depreciation must be :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I mean, I would definitely take that McIntosh gear without a hint of irony, but yeah that reads like a rich person who buys expensive toys and never uses them.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

AVS forum delivers

now those are legitimately good speakers but the bad positioning, cheap desk and 4 grand in Schiit gear push it over the top for me

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Also has HD800s.

Missing an obnoxious anime background.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Lowness 72 posted:

Also has HD800s.

Isn't that anime on the right screen?

Also, you can afford redundant schiit gear but not a decent or matching pair of monitors?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I could theoretically spend that much on desktop audio but it would all go into Genelec monitors.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Lmao at B&W Nautilus 805s like three inches from your ears. HD800s own though.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I have a generic Onkyo receiver with 2 4" Kicker car speakers mounted in 3d printed spherical enclosures for my computer. Super pro.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Also, you can afford redundant schiit gear but not a decent or matching pair of monitors?

poo poo you're right.

The speakers aren't near field monitors right?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Lowness 72 posted:

poo poo you're right.

The speakers aren't near field monitors right?

Well no... but I meant computer monitors. But yeah also that.
Although now I'm curious what those B&W sound like at that distance... :thunk:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Lmao at B&W Nautilus 805s like three inches from your ears. HD800s own though.

srsly

I'm using non-nearfield monitors myself and they're....fine but then I roll my chair back and it's like "Oh, right."

Some Genelecs would rule but I'd have to hit the Powerball first.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well no... but I meant computer monitors. But yeah also that.
Although now I'm curious what those B&W sound like at that distance... :thunk:

Ha yes I understood. Guy has two lovely pc monitors, one that might be a crt?

Then he's got speakers blasting into his ears sitting on a piece of plywood basically.

Do you guys ever watch those zeos review videos? Guy is such a slob.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Lowness 72 posted:

I think he's hilarious but I don't watch anything about headphones and I think the "listening test" videos he does are beyond pointless. He's also starting to believe his own hype/disappear up his own rear end but I think you have to do that to make actual money as a youtuber. I enjoy how convoluted his home setups are, like "yeah I have an HTPC connected to a DAC connected to a miniDSP connected to a receiver that converts the sub channels to balanced which run to individual crown pro amps running bridged to passive subwoofers and I have to run my speakers upside down because I built these really tall stands and the tweeter must be 5/8 of the way up the screen."

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe

Lowness 72 posted:

Ha yes I understood. Guy has two lovely pc monitors, one that might be a crt?

Then he's got speakers blasting into his ears sitting on a piece of plywood basically.

I love Zeos. He is totally a slob though, and I don't even know if I like the reviews because I agree with his opinions or more just because I like the way he talks. I also love when he runs the gigantic svs subs in his little apartment and shakes the building apart.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

$4k of terrible-to-mediocre snake oil electronics if this unflattering measurements of their $2400 DAC is of any indication: https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac.2358/

He/she/it might very well get better performance using the $0 "audiophile garbage" onboard PC outputs.

tl:dr version stay the gently caress away from Schiit stuff

Palladium fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 13, 2018

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Palladium posted:

$4k of terrible-to-mediocre snake oil electronics if this unflattering measurements of their $2400 DAC is of any indication: https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac.2358/

He/she/it might very well get better performance using the $0 "audiophile garbage" onboard PC outputs.

tl:dr version stay the gently caress away from Schiit stuff

Love this from there:

Amir how much warm up time did you give these things? I doubt you subscribe to it but Jason Stoddard mentioned that it needs about 72 hours to stabilize. The Gungnir MB I tried changed sound for about three days. Then it had much subtler changes for a week. (Subjective impressions).

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What is this thread's opinion of Emotiva? I kind of want to get that stealth dac.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Lowness 72 posted:

What is this thread's opinion of Emotiva? I kind of want to get that stealth dac.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurement-and-review-of-emotiva-dc-1-dac.2306/

Slightly worse than a Topping DX7 but nearly 2x the price and no remote. Though either won't matter one bit if you aren't spending most of the budget on the thing that by far matters the most: speakers.

metallicaeg posted:

Love this from there:

Amir how much warm up time did you give these things? I doubt you subscribe to it but Jason Stoddard mentioned that it needs about 72 hours to stabilize. The Gungnir MB I tried changed sound for about three days. Then it had much subtler changes for a week. (Subjective impressions).

Yup, the sheer amount of denialism from the Schitt shills over there is a comedy goldmine by itself, especially now they can't use their favorite banhammer tactics against objectivists in the usual audio Kool-Aid meccas like Head-Fi.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Palladium posted:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurement-and-review-of-emotiva-dc-1-dac.2306/

Slightly worse than a Topping DX7 but nearly 2x the price and no remote. Though either won't matter one bit if you aren't spending most of the budget on the thing that by far matters the most: speakers.

Yup, the sheer amount of denialism from the Schitt shills over there is a comedy goldmine by itself, especially now they can't use their favorite banhammer tactics against objectivists in the usual audio Kool-Aid meccas like Head-Fi.

It took me a second to realize you meant empiricists and not literally fans of Ayn Rand.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/d/high-end-audio-complete/6519586001.html

lol what the gently caress is this poo poo?

Why are there like 5 things with tubes and a cassette player?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

All that kit to run an AM aerial through.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

Lowness 72 posted:

Also has HD800s.

The official Sennheiser website links to the "Unbox Therapy" youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dauPuQV5ws

loving shameless.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SHAQ4PREZ posted:

The official Sennheiser website links to the "Unbox Therapy" youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dauPuQV5ws

loving shameless.

I thought all those unbox themed channels were basically paid ads anyway, even if they didn't clearly disclose.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Any one who hasn't paid for the item themselves or relies on advertising will have an intrinsic bias for an item. It is human nature. Some are more obvious about their shilling (unbox therapy or IGN) than others.

There are a few exceptions but never trust any random review.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DancingShade posted:

I thought all those unbox themed channels were basically paid ads anyway, even if they didn't clearly disclose.

Jesus gently caress I wish I had an extremely annoying manner of speaking so that I could get paid to do lovely Youtubes as well.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
If Hydraulic Press Channel is anything to go by, people would probably be into "whacky Finnish dude unboxing". Just lay on the accent and misappropriate English swear words.

I really like Hydraulic Press Channel.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Wasabi the J posted:

If Hydraulic Press Channel is anything to go by, people would probably be into "whacky Finnish dude unboxing". Just lay on the accent and misappropriate English swear words.

I really like Hydraulic Press Channel.

I'd watch the gently caress out of Hydraulic Press Channel doing unboxings by using the press.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I wish this guy was trolling but I am certain he is not

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

polyester concept posted:

There's no way that's not a loving joke.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

He says at the bottom that they're really there to make it easier to spin then round.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Any one who hasn't paid for the item themselves or relies on advertising will have an intrinsic bias for an item. It is human nature. Some are more obvious about their shilling (unbox therapy or IGN) than others.

There are a few exceptions but never trust any random review.

Above a certain cost, or at least a certain cost above the average for an item type, anyone who has paid money for an item will also have an intrinsic bias for the item in order to justify their purchase and prove to others (and themselves) that it wasn't a ridiculous waste of money.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

who the hell sells used air filters? more importantly who is buying them (for non audio purposes)? i might not like a car much but im not about to roll the dice and munch the engine

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Panty Saluter posted:

who the hell sells used air filters? more importantly who is buying them (for non audio purposes)? i might not like a car much but im not about to roll the dice and munch the engine

Well it does say it was from a garage sale, so it doesn't need to make sense. People put all sorts of poo poo up in them that probably shouldn't be used as anything more than something to stack things on, if that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

At least one of them looks brand new. I'd rock it, if I still owned a car that had a carb.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My desktop setup is this:

Why is it sitting on a moving blanket that it appears a cat has shat upon

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lowness 72 posted:

I have one of their amps and it's a solid piece of equipment but it's also ~10 years old. The fact that they've branched out into selling 200 dollar subs and 100 dollar bookshelves doesn't exactly instill me with confidence but at the same time I've never heard or read anything that would make me doubt that they still make quality electronics.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I didn't read the text at first and thought it was just to serve as a dust filter for a bottom intake fan. For that purpose I thought it was a pretty clever if somewhat redneck solution. :shobon:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Collateral Damage posted:

I didn't read the text at first and thought it was just to serve as a dust filter for a bottom intake fan. For that purpose I thought it was a pretty clever if somewhat redneck solution. :shobon:

I kinda feel like the pressure drop across an automotive air filter would be too much for a small electric fan. You'd either wind up drawing air through gaps around the filter or reducing its throughput so badly that you would have heat issues

to the laboratory! :pseudo:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Panty Saluter posted:

"Oh sweet, a six pack of air filters! I replace the filter every other year, and as this 1982 Buick LeSabre will surely last me another twelve years, I can save six dollars! I am a crafty consumer."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ColdPie posted:

"Oh sweet, a six pack of air filters! I replace the filter every other year, and as this 1982 Buick LeSabre will surely last me another twelve years, I can save six dollars! I am a crafty consumer."
"There, air filter replaced. I'll put the rest of the box in A Good Place Where I'll Remember It."
(two years later)
"Where did I put that box of air filters? I'm sure I bought a big pack.. Oh well, I'll just buy another one."