Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Cincy chili is fine. It's not amazing. It's not some culinary abomination either. If someone set a 5-way in front of me I'd eat it. I don't actively seek it out though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Manuel Calavera posted:

:modsass:
Skyline is both cool and good.

Never in my posting career have I seen a more wrong opinion.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Manuel Calavera posted:

:modsass:
Skyline is both cool and good.

Skyline is both bad, and wrong.

Luckily it has stayed out east and will never pass the chili with beans line at the Mississippi.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're both wrong and something awful for sure. Fite me.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I make chili that doesn't need half a pound of cheese to graduate to edible.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Staying up late to bake a 100% scratch apple pie my coworkers won't appreciate for a dumb 'holiday' I think is dumb, because it gives me a reason to kitchen.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Chard posted:

Staying up late to bake a 100% scratch apple pie my coworkers won't appreciate for a dumb 'holiday' I think is dumb, because it gives me a reason to kitchen.

The best reason to bake a thing.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Chard posted:

Pics!

Edit: I made tart

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 14, 2018

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Cookout is a good regional chain.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Liquid Communism posted:

I make chili that doesn't need half a pound of cheese to graduate to edible.

:MODSASS:
good thing Skyline is fine on it's own. :smug:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

sweat poteto posted:

Pics!

Edit: I made tart

Nice Tart!

(I should probably adjust my phone's camera settings)

Overcooked the crust just a smidge, which is my fault for implicitly trusting the recipe instead of my instincts (75 minutes @ 400?). :saddowns: It's not actually as dark as it looks here though, fortunately. Also the inside 'fell' a little bit which is really weird. Maybe I'll get a cross-section shot after someone takes a piece.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chard posted:

Also the inside 'fell' a little bit which is really weird. Maybe I'll get a cross-section shot after someone takes a piece.

That happens because all of the air space between the apples disappears when you cook them (and the top crust sets before that happens). I've taken to cooking my apples on the stove first to soften them and thicken up the juice before they go into the pie for baking. This pretty much eliminates that problem.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That happens because all of the air space between the apples disappears when you cook them (and the top crust sets before that happens). I've taken to cooking my apples on the stove first to soften them and thicken up the juice before they go into the pie for baking. This pretty much eliminates that problem.

Ha, that's what I've always done in the past, but this time I tried this recipe which calls for macerating the fruit instead of pre-cooking. They did reduce in volume before I put them in the crust, but then I guess they just kept going during the bake :sigh:

e: it just now occurs to me I could have protected the crust with tinfoil after I checked it halfway through, moving it down a rack wasn't enough.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Just to spite everyone but the furry I'm gonna make Skyline 4-Way for dinner.

Fake edit: Maybe not, holy poo poo that calorie count.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Croatoan posted:

What's the count for a full meal?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Katt posted:

What's the count for a full meal?

1150 for just the bowl of spaghetti topped with chili, cheese and onion.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Croatoan posted:

A fair and balanced dinner.

For someone who chops wood by hand in Siberia.

Who also skipped lunch.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I would totally eat that, as my entire food for the day. Maybe go for a run after.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

good call since runners are expected to poo poo themselves

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Croatoan posted:

Wow rude. :colbert:
Now I'm wondering if Happy Hat is still around.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Croatoan posted:

I have a pretty good recipe that I use to make an approximation of cincinnati chili, and given that recipe I'd have to assume a homemade version has a lot fewer calories than that. Most of it probably comes from the bucketload of cheese added, and the pasta.

I make it twice a year or so. It's good, but much more like a molé than anything close to a good proper chili.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Manuel Calavera posted:

Wow rude. :colbert:
Now I'm wondering if Happy Hat is still around.

I only see him on Facebook these days.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Just when you think Skyline can't get any worse, it does:
https://twitter.com/WCPO/status/974314297672257536
:barf::barf::barf:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

iospace posted:

The chili looks like the hairballs my cat leaves on the floor.

It also reminds me of the early 90s fad of food colouring and how it often didn't last longer than one plate of purple spaghetti.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

iospace posted:

gently caress it I would eat it. I don't even know what Sky Lines is but I would at least try that to see if it tastes as bad as it looks.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
It's just green food dye, it'll still taste like meat and potpourri stew. That hashtag looks passive-aggressive as gently caress haha.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
im colorblind so that just looks like poo poo either way

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Jay Carney posted:

im colorblind so that just looks like poo poo either way

I thought it was just a myth that you guys saw everything in black and white.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

This, yes, I will agree is a bad look. The noodles, and the chili just looks dry and old and messy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have some leftover Sweet Baby Ray's. What should I do with it? I was considering pulled pork, but they only sell pork roast and tenderloin at my local grocery store and the picnic cuts are too big for my pressure cooker.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
"#yum"

- someone somewhere actually getting paid to do marketing / social media for a real company

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I have some leftover Sweet Baby Ray's. What should I do with it? I was considering pulled pork, but they only sell pork roast and tenderloin at my local grocery store and the picnic cuts are too big for my pressure cooker.

Meatballs

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Last night I had dinner with my sister's family, pressure cooked pork ribs suspended over some cider then glazed with sweet baby ray's under the broiler to glaze. It was stunning. So, that, I guess. Or chicken.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Pollyanna posted:

It's so sugary it's not like it's gonna expire anytime soon. Ignore that expiration date, it's bs.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Last night I had dinner with my sister's family, pressure cooked pork ribs suspended over some cider then glazed with sweet baby ray's under the broiler to glaze. It was stunning. So, that, I guess. Or chicken.

Hell yeah, that's what I got the sweet baby rays for :dance: it was pretty drat good, but ribs are a little expensive...that said, I can always just keep it around as mentioned.

This is intriguing, though.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Cooking meat while camping has never been easier thanks to this brilliant new invention.

https://i.imgur.com/3KrFqn1.mp4

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sir this isn't the Awful Kickstarter Thread.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Manuel Calavera posted:

Sir this isn't the Awful Kickstarter Thread.

False alarm. It's just a smoker. After it finishes you have to cook the meat as well. I have no doubt that the guy has a camping cast iron pan as well for sale.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Katt posted:

False alarm. It's just a smoker. After it finishes you have to cook the meat as well. I have no doubt that the guy has a camping cast iron pan as well for sale.

The tiniest, fiddliest cast iron pan, with lots of flimsy moving parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have to admit, that's a bit clever. Not for frequent use, but "out in the woods hunting, bored with my buddies cuz we got skunked/shot our quota way too early today, wife dont want me home yet, might as well smoke some meat" sorta thing. It's a cute trick.