Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
This is one of the best episodes they’ve done in awhile, I really miss the four-segment format that allows for a free discussion of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I often feel like they get to the games too quickly. But mostly just when there's a guest because the episodes with a guest tend to be the best ones. The same two people all the time gets repetitive and dull.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
I really enjoy it when they actually talk about the book; its structure, history, the author. This episode was really, really interesting! As was the Myth Conceptions ep since they even talked about the cover artist.

The games sometimes seem like they're making inside jokes or deep pop culture references with themselves all the time. You know, like that one book does, Ready Player One.

Russian Roulette (not actually Russian) is the best because you get to hear the prose.

I still like the podcast, those are just my opinions.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
They really need educating on the differences between Ireland, the UK, England and Great Britain. That was painful.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure they have already been bombarded with correction comments.
Good ep, though the part with Chris and the librarian was dumb. TGWTDT was/is incredibly popular and the idea that she was judging him for checking it out is some woke paranoia.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Koburn posted:

I'm sure they have already been bombarded with correction comments.

Oh, they have. Chris apologized more than once on the Party Pit yet people are still jumping on him for it.

Ageofbob
Sep 16, 2011
I just want them to invite Lemon on again :( they have so much fun when he’s there

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Tsaedje posted:

They really need educating on the differences between Ireland, the UK, England and Great Britain. That was painful.

Wouldn't be as painful as saying "Ireland is part of Britain" in Ireland would end up being, I imagine.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
The only game that regularly annoys me is the movie casting one. Because I'm terrible at knowing actors and it just becomes a list of names.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
What would they do always seems a bit forced and never seems to produce great gags

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
My favorite game is Russian Roulette because I like the song the best.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What would they do always seems a bit forced and never seems to produce great gags

Yeah this is probably my least favorite. I'm sure there's a couple gems out there but I can't think of any

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

beats for junkies posted:

My favorite game is Russian Roulette because I like the song the best.
It's the best because it's just more Dramatic Readings.

I wouldn't mind if half the show was Dramatic Readings.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It's the best because it's just more Dramatic Readings.

I wouldn't mind if half the show was Dramatic Readings.

Yeah just junk What Would They Do for some other form of dramatic readings

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Tsaedje posted:

But not as painful as the apology on the next show.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

outlier posted:

But not as painful as the apology on the next show.

How so? What would you have had them do?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Laugh it off and say they were dumb? Mistaking Ireland for part of the UK is s common enough mistake, and it was an aside. Apologising profusely and saying they'd learnt their lesson and would do better next time, like they'd made some horrible racist slur was over the top. It's like they're afraid their audience will turn on them for not being woke enough.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The status of Ireland and its relation to the UK has been a pretty hot-button issue within recent history, so I can imagine people who would get upset about it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Sometimes a sincere apology is a sincere apology y'know.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Djeser posted:

The status of Ireland and its relation to the UK has been a pretty hot-button issue within recent history, so I can imagine people who would get upset about it.

Yeah. It's not really a minor mistake.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

outlier posted:

Laugh it off and say they were dumb? Mistaking Ireland for part of the UK is s common enough mistake, and it was an aside. Apologising profusely and saying they'd learnt their lesson and would do better next time, like they'd made some horrible racist slur was over the top. It's like they're afraid their audience will turn on them for not being woke enough.

There were people in the Facebook group who were genuinely upset about it (and if you’re even thinking about saying they were stupid to be upset, you’re an rear end in a top hat). It’s really obnoxious to take someone’s apology and say “no, that’s not the right kind of apology.”

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

outlier posted:

Would you say they're "virtue signaling?"

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Many people have died over the issue, American ignorance does not mean that it is unimportant and a genuine apology is good to have for those who can't just shrug it off.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Would you say they're "virtue signaling?"

No. I really dislike that phrase. But the apologies and corrections and "I'm sorry, we've learnt our lesson" has become such a feature of IDEOT that I feel their audience enjoys looking for something to complain about. The Facebook group seems to spend more time talking about these issues than crappy books. And there's a wider range of topics that no one is correcting them on.

Edit: and when you hear almost the same words walked out again and again, for everything from geographical ignorance to a slur against transgenders?

nonathlon fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 18, 2018

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Feeling that people being willing to apologise and correct mistakes is a bad thing is probably a problem with you and not the show. Nerdy guys trying their best to make a podcast that doesn't exclude people is actually refreshing and a good thing.

You always have the option not to listen if you find it unbearable

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

outlier posted:

No. I really dislike that phrase. But the apologies and corrections and "I'm sorry, we've learnt our lesson" has become such a feature of IDEOT that I feel their audience enjoys looking for something to complain about. The Facebook group seems to spend more time talking about these issues than crappy books. And there's a wider range of topics that no one is correcting them on.

Edit: and when you hear almost the same words walked out again and again, for everything from geographical ignorance to a slur against transgenders?

You're focused way too much on it, duder. Each episode is over an hour long and you're freaking out over 30 seconds of "Hey, we made a whoopsie, sorry."

E: VVV So why are you even listening? Is someone forcing you at gunpoint to listen to this podcast and then come bitch about it?

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 18, 2018

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

WampaLord posted:

You're focused way too much on it, duder. Each episode is over an hour long and you're freaking out over 30 seconds of "Hey, we made a whoopsie, sorry."

Yeah, there was the whole rest of that episode that was insufferable garbage. Why focus on the actually reasonable apology at the beginning of it?

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
podcast suggestion: I Don't Even Own an I Don't Even Own a Television: in which we just kvetch about Chris Collision for a solid hour.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I'm starting a podcast called I Don't Even Own A Podcast

It's a real catch-22

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

outlier posted:

The Facebook group actually spends most of its time posting pictures of crabs.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Jurgan posted:

The Facebook group actually spends most of its time posting pictures of crabs.

And that one girl who literally posts every SJW thought that comes across her mind. In the Party Pit. For some reason.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Hell yeah, Maximum Ride! Also hell yeah: two guests!

Until Divergent, I always thought of this as the archetype of lovely YA novels. Can't wait to hear them dig into it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I just realizing I haven't listened to any new episodes since last year because I bought a new iPod and the interface is all weird to me so I didn't notice there actually were new episodes.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
The redone Podcasts app is very bad

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Hell yeah, Maximum Ride! Also hell yeah: two guests!

Until Divergent, I always thought of this as the archetype of lovely YA novels. Can't wait to hear them dig into it.

I read every one of those books and I can confirm: they’re all uniquely terrible. Also, if you think the first book is garbage, you ain’t seen nothing yet. I’m saving this episode for a rainy day specifically because I wanna know what they thought of it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I am working in a school library this year, and guess what the most popular book is among the high schoolers?

Ready Player loving One.

Second most popular is that dumbass Selection series, which I hope ends up on IDEOTV. I think it would bring such exquisite rage.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
At least it isn't Piers Anthony

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

The Vosgian Beast posted:

At least it isn't Piers Anthony

We don't have any of his books, thank God. I have enough trouble not rolling my eyes at the Sooper hxc0re kid who always wants to talk about The Fountainhead.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Those d-d-d-d-d-drops made me choke on my chips.

Also thanks, Chris, for making the Alice Cooper joke that had been itching in the back of my mind all episode.

(And I apologize for being a big wrong meanie about Poirot.)

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
I am now imagining a high school entirely populated by 40something undercover police.

Alternatively, a youth culture that is nostalgic for an era slightly before their parents' time makes the next generation seem even more terrible than the most absurd caricatures of Millenials...