Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

I went to an Asian market and bought some glass noodles. Not sure if it’s Japanese but any suggestions on a recipe if it is? I think it’s sweet potato glass noodles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Japan is merely a rogue colony of Greater Korea so make japchae. https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/japchae

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Grand Fromage posted:

Japan is merely a rogue colony of Greater Korea so make japchae. https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/japchae

Thank you!!

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Alright folks I'm making Pork Udon soup for dinner tonight and I have two questions:

1. Do I cook the noodles in the soup broth or separately?

2. Should I add Miso to the broth, or cover the pork with it? Or both?

Also I've been making Extremely Low Effort Miso soup in my thermos at work. Spoonful of Miso paste, spoonful of soup base, add hot water from the coffee machine, and it's done!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Doc Walrus posted:

Alright folks I'm making Pork Udon soup for dinner tonight and I have two questions:

1. Do I cook the noodles in the soup broth or separately?

2. Should I add Miso to the broth, or cover the pork with it? Or both?

Also I've been making Extremely Low Effort Miso soup in my thermos at work. Spoonful of Miso paste, spoonful of soup base, add hot water from the coffee machine, and it's done!

1) Separately

2) Up to you, there are some recipes that do involve miso in the udon broth.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

manny kaltz posted:

Hello thread, I'm thinking of making miso soup for my work lunches next week. Is this soup a dish that can be reheated once it is made, or should I be looking to add the miso to the dashi & tofu etc. after the latter have been reheated?
Add the miso. Miso soup does not store well, at all.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Babylon Astronaut posted:

This, and also keep in mind that tofu spoils easily. Just be careful with it.

manny kaltz
Oct 16, 2011

What?...

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Thank you (and hallo spacedog). I also have a follow-up question:
I am making the dashi for this miso soup with konbu and katsuobisho. However, the store I went to only had powdered(/concentrated?) versions of both.

I'm mindful of not making the dashi too salty, so want to be cautious about how much of the packets to use.

Does anyone have any experience with using Shimaya brand powdered konbu? (Admittedly, there are instructions on the back of the pack but they are in Japanese, and I cannot read Japanese)

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I use powdered konbudashi and regular dashi, not sure about those specific brands but in my experience they don't usually have a detectable amount of salt in them.

I tend to just eyeball the amount I use, honestly.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

manny kaltz posted:

(Admittedly, there are instructions on the back of the pack but they are in Japanese, and I cannot read Japanese)

A few of us can, post a picture.

manny kaltz
Oct 16, 2011

What?...

hallo spacedog posted:

I use powdered konbudashi and regular dashi, not sure about those specific brands but in my experience they don't usually have a detectable amount of salt in them.

I tend to just eyeball the amount I use, honestly.

Thanks for the advice about the saltiness. I guess I was also curious about how much of each pack I should be using if I'm making a week's (ie. 5 days) worth of soup. The katsuoboshi packaging suggests 1 satchet equals 8-10 servings of miso soup, but I can't find the same information on the konbu packaging.

For what it's worth, the packaging can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/ICRzs

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

So for the konbudashi, 1/4 of a stick per every 600ml water for soup.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I don't know if this is super obvious to people other than me, but you can use canned salmon instead of fresh salmon for ochazuke and it's pretty good. I drained the can, added the salmon to a nonstick skillet with a tiny amount of sesame oil, and let it toast until the texture was dry and toasted, and it was actually a pretty good topping to a bowl of ochazuke.

I'm poor so this is a nice discovery for me, because ochazuke's probably one of my favorite breakfasts. Double nice because you can buy canned Alaskan salmon for cheap, and it's like the only type of responsibly sourced salmon in the US that I know of.

manny kaltz
Oct 16, 2011

What?...

hallo spacedog posted:

So for the konbudashi, 1/4 of a stick per every 600ml water for soup.

Awesome, thank you very much.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Taking my first shot at making broth for tonkotsu ramen today. Wish me luck

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

big black turnout posted:

Good luck. Take lots of pictures. And post there here.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
A little late but here's a method to have ready to go miso soup at work without sacrificing quality-

http://www.justbento.com/handbook/johbisai/make-your-own-instant-miso-soup-ball

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Just prepping for a late hanami picnic. My partner and I are bringing a camp stove and cooking okonomiyaki. I'm also bringing a thermos full of sake, and another full of homemade amazaki (we have an artisinal sake maker in town so there's a source for sakekasu). The weather is beautiful so I'm bringing them chilled. Should be lots of fun!

Right, off to mix up a few large mason jars worth of okonomiyaki batter...

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Where the hell do you live that there's still cherries in bloom?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Stringent posted:

Where the hell do you live that there's still cherries in bloom?

Vancouver. And they're a very late blooming variety.

There's literally a website with a crowd sourced map of where all the cherry blossoms in the city are, with a feature to search by date.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Ah ok.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gonna start bringing a bento to work again, but I never actually developed a good repertoire of dishes to include. I’m used to making big dishes that I can do in advance like stews, curries, pulled pork, etc., but in my experience that doesn’t work too well with a typical 2-tier box. I don’t wanna stick to strictly Japanese dishes either, just anything that tastes good cold/room temp and I can make batches of.

Stuff that comes to mind includes:

- Potato salad
- Salad
- Pickles
- Tuna-mayo onigiri

...and I don’t really have any other ideas. What’s a good set of small bits of food that can be made in advance, keeps well, and can be made with ingredients commonly found in American supermarkets?

I’m also probably going to avoid rice or at least reducing the amount I eat, so there’s that concern as well.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pollyanna posted:

...and I don’t really have any other ideas. What’s a good set of small bits of food that can be made in advance, keeps well, and can be made with ingredients commonly found in American supermarkets?

I’m also probably going to avoid rice or at least reducing the amount I eat, so there’s that concern as well.

Chilli. Pasta sauces. Fried foods. Potstickers. Quesadillas. All can be batch made and reheated in a microwave or toaster oven. You can fry up a couple of chicken thighs, freeze, and pull them out individually to have with potato salad and Mac n cheese for southern US bento.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Pollyanna posted:

Gonna start bringing a bento to work again, but I never actually developed a good repertoire of dishes to include. I’m used to making big dishes that I can do in advance like stews, curries, pulled pork, etc., but in my experience that doesn’t work too well with a typical 2-tier box. I don’t wanna stick to strictly Japanese dishes either, just anything that tastes good cold/room temp and I can make batches of.

Stuff that comes to mind includes:

- Potato salad
- Salad
- Pickles
- Tuna-mayo onigiri

I usually take a tiny bento-ish box to work (and two cheese sandwiched), and fill the box with a sliced apple (I slice it before work and it's still fine when it's time for lunch), some cherry tomatoes, some almonds and a medjool date.

Instead of rice, you could use couscous with chickpeas (make a salad out of those, with orange zest, scallions, raisins, sweet pepper, onions, whatever you like :-) )

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Chilli. Pasta sauces. Fried foods. Potstickers. Quesadillas. All can be batch made and reheated in a microwave or toaster oven. You can fry up a couple of chicken thighs, freeze, and pull them out individually to have with potato salad and Mac n cheese for southern US bento.

Potstickers and chicken thighs work, but my experience with sloppy stuff like chili and pasta sauce in bento is that it doesn’t...make a whole lot of sense? I’d expect that to be in jars or thermoses instead of a bento, which I associate more with drier foods.

paraquat posted:

I usually take a tiny bento-ish box to work (and two cheese sandwiched), and fill the box with a sliced apple (I slice it before work and it's still fine when it's time for lunch), some cherry tomatoes, some almonds and a medjool date.

Instead of rice, you could use couscous with chickpeas (make a salad out of those, with orange zest, scallions, raisins, sweet pepper, onions, whatever you like :-) )

Salad definitely works, sandwiches I’d wonder why not just bring a plastic baggie. Snacks sound good tho. Hrmmmm...

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

big black turnout posted:

So when my chef gets interviewed or whatnot, they always ask the joke question of "what's the worst" and he always cops to getting the firedepartment called because he slept in and burned the tonk. loving hilarious, they fire axed both us and the neighbor's doors because they didn't know where the smoke was coming from. I guess the advice in this is that you really should do the full 30 hours. On the odd chance you have a refractometer, you should be hitting 14-16 easy, and it is not liquid at room temp. it's jello.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Pollyanna posted:

Potstickers and chicken thighs work, but my experience with sloppy stuff like chili and pasta sauce in bento is that it doesn’t...make a whole lot of sense? I’d expect that to be in jars or thermoses instead of a bento, which I associate more with drier foods.

Salad definitely works, sandwiches I’d wonder why not just bring a plastic baggie. Snacks sound good tho. Hrmmmm...

Ah...I do bring sandwiches in a plastic baggie...but for the snacks I use this tiny box: https://www.bol.com/nl/p/sistema-to-go-snack-0-4-l-blauw/9200000038617159/

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Snacks might not be a bad idea. I’m thinking ez finger foods n poo poo.

- mozzarella+marinated mushroom kebabs
- roasted cocktail weenies
- tiny meatballs in sauce
- bologna/salami/pepperoni and cheese wheels
- random-rear end tamagoyaki
- onigiri filled with tunamayo or leftover curry meat
- deviled eggs, natch
- those “muffin omelette” things
- grapes
- sliced apples
- meatloaf slices? hrm

Maybe I’ll pick up some nori.

If I can even put this stuff in the box and pull the box out in the morning that could work too :o is there a reason I wouldn’t want to do that?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 25, 2018

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Been getting into making some Japanese dishes lately after discovering a YT channel where the guy makes homemade teriyaki and explains how versatile it is for making a variety of Japanese meals. Have already done chicken teriyaki and buta shogayaki which were both huge hits with my kids.

I'd like to add some more home cooking recipes into the rotation but they need to be relatively quick and easy. My kids can't handle any spiciness at all but they'll eat/try just about anything once. What suggestions do ya'll have?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Kakuni (this isn't quick unless you have a pressure cooker, but you can braise the meat the day before and add the flavoring the next day):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7-BAJEnO78

Nikujaga:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj-hgpUn0bQ

And basically her entire channel, but those two are especially kid friendly. Also my kids (I live in Japan) are extremely partial to udon so you might want to give that a go if you can get the noodles and all.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I really like this lady's stuff https://www.justonecookbook.com

I'm still working through her recipes but they've all been fairly straight forward and delicious so far.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah justonecookbook is always pretty good. With Japanese food you virtually never have to worry about spiciness, most of the stuff that isn't in the fermented fish guts territory should be stuff you can sell to your kids.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

FordCQC posted:

but they need to be relatively quick and easy.

Japanese curry with rice!...not spicy at all and quick to make if you use curry blocks like a lot of Japanese home cooks do

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

paraquat posted:

Japanese curry with rice!...not spicy at all and quick to make if you use curry blocks like a lot of Japanese home cooks do

Oh yeah that's definitely on the list once the weather cools off, it's too hot to eat that down here in the south in the summer.

Thanks for the rest of the suggestions too! I love Cooking With Dog, been following her for a long time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Getting back into bento:

Not sure if I like the kanikama/cabbage salad...either it needs more seasoning, or I just don’t like the taste of kanikama.

Working on applying principles in my boxes. Color balance I’m starting to get a hang of, even though what I put together is rarely harmonious in taste and everything is still brown as gently caress and not very vibrant, but I don’t know if I’ve got space/cramming down yet - there’s often some spaces that still need to be filled, but even if I fight full then the box is a little weird to close sometimes. Also, I’m practically cooking for hours every evening to build up a backlog of stuff to fill with :gonk:

I’ve also been filling it with both hot and cold food at night, then sticking it in the fridge and pulling it out before I leave. The food is always cold at lunch :( it takes time to heat stuff and put it all together, so I hoped to save some time in the morning, but it’s kind of dissatisfying...maybe I should just microwave stuff in the morning?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 13, 2018

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
If you want your lunch to be hot when you eat it, heat it at work. Not in the morning, and certainly not the previous day?

Or stick it in a thermos but please don't bring a thermos full of lukewarm cabbage to the office

Waci fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 14, 2018

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

I’ve also been filling it with both hot and cold food at night, then sticking it in the fridge and pulling it out before I leave. The food is always cold at lunch :(

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Cool the hot food quickly. 6 hours is safe, 4 is better, leaving warm food in the bacterial growth zone overnight is how food poisoning happens. Most crap like curry can be heated up with a handwarmer in the insulated bag or whatever.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Uhhhh poo poo. Okay, I guess I should be worried about that. The box is definitely not microwaveable, but that handwarmer idea is a good one. I’ll see what else I can make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The catfish kabayaki recipe on justonecookbook was great, though I simmered the sauce down too much this time. For some reason the local asian grocery has katsuobushi, but not kombu, so I'll probably try and find that online. I'm lazy and will probably just use powder 90% of the time, but I figure it's worth having the option to do it the normal way every so often.