Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I'd go Face/Off, MI2, Windtalkers, Broken Arrow, Hard Target, Blackjack, Paycheck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Windtalkers is definitely underrated and a good war movie that more people should watch.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hard Target gets the top spot for me. It just has so many great, stupid things in it. Lance Henrikson literally absorbing scenery through his pores, Wilford Brimley putting on a cajun accent, Van Damme getting a god drat mystery clue from a bird. Face/Off comes close behind, but I think it's more notable for its gonzo acting than the action set pieces, which is odd for a Woo flick. MI2 takes the third spot, but only because it's just a might bit too bloated to be a fun movie to sit down and watch on a lark. If they shaved twenty minutes off of its run time, I think I'd like it a bit more.

The rest of his stuff is kind of generally ehhh.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I love Broken Arrow, travolta is so great in it. Plus, howie scream!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I can't believe there was like two pages of classic pre-nutso(er) Seagal discussion and nobody brought up Hard to Kill, the movie that features a resplendently bearded Seagal outmaneuvering his assassins by rowing his coma bed around a hospital with a mop.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

McSpanky posted:

I can't believe there was like two pages of classic pre-nutso(er) Seagal discussion and nobody brought up Hard to Kill, the movie that features a resplendently bearded Seagal outmaneuvering his assassins by rowing his coma bed around a hospital with a mop.

MASON STORM

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

McSpanky posted:

In that movie a woman got hypnotized by his bone while he was in a coma, right?

STONECUTTER G HURRICANE

THE G IS FOR GUAPO WHICH MEANS HANDSOME

ALSO THE G IS FOR GIANT PENIS

no really guys

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 18, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Could you imagine them trying to make that film today, with Seagal's ego?

Director: "Ok, you're character is shot several times, and is presumed dead, but is actually in a coma."
Seagal: "Shot? No, my mystic training will not allow me to be shot. So instead, I'll dodge all the bullets, but make it look like I was shot, then pretend to be in a coma."
Director (sighing): "Whatever."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The 90s, time wise began in 1990 of course, but culturally speaking I would argue that Under Siege 2: Dark Territory is the last 80s action flick in the sense of stuff that comes to mind when we think of "80s action flick."

Segeal is a total dogshit person though so please don't experience any of his films in a way that might potentially give him money.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Rasa posted:

The 90s, time wise began in 1990 of course, but culturally speaking I would argue that Under Siege 2: Dark Territory is the last 80s action flick in the sense of stuff that comes to mind when we think of "80s action flick."

I think it's Eraser which came out a year later, since Arnold was the definitive 80s action star and that was his last big non-Terminator movie (Batman notwithstanding).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think it's Eraser which came out a year later, since Arnold was the definitive 80s action star and that was his last big non-Terminator movie (Batman notwithstanding).

You just made me realize I've actually never seen Eraser, is that worth correcting or is it crap?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

You just made me realize I've actually never seen Eraser, is that worth correcting or is it crap?

I fell ill while seeing it in theaters (not because of the film, mind you), and had to leave 3/4 of the way through, and have never gone back to finish it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Plot-wise I dunno if I agree. The shady/corrupt government aspect has a 90s sensibility to it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Neo Rasa posted:

Well this happens in it.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
It's got railguns, too.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
At one point Arnold is thrown out of a plane without a parachute. He not only manages to obtain one during the fall, but takes on the plane with a handgun as it comes back to finish him off.

And yes, railguns. Arnold dual-wields railguns.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's plenty of Woo in Hard Target but I feel like it was Van Damme's show more than his.

How do you rank John Woo's American movies? I put it down as:

1. Face/Off
2. Hard Target
3. Broken Arrow
4. Mission: Impossible 2
5. Paycheck

(I have never seen Windtalkers.)

Windtalkers is a war movie the same way Red Cliff is a war movie, it's big and elaborate and silly, but still wants you to feel the horror of war, but ends up corny as hell. It's good fun for a war film. It also feels weirdly retro, with guys sitting round the camp fire telling stories about 'gals'

It's exactly the war film a Chinese guy who'd absorbed American culture through film would make.

It works a lot better than it should. The first battle on Saipan (which is about 10-20 minutes of the movie) is pretty goddamn spectacular.

McSpanky posted:

Also the bit where you suddenly realise that a Hollywood action star literally has no idea how to throw a punch.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I disagree, it always struck me as a very 90s , though in a way that I'm struggling to qualify. It's Arnie trying to move with the times.

Also, John. https://youtu.be/OE6jpTaOYMU?t=1221

Watch the kill count video if you haven't, it's pretty entertaining.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 18, 2018

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I love how chunky sound was in 90s action. Everything was so meaty and thudding.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Payndz posted:

At one point Arnold is thrown out of a plane without a parachute. He not only manages to obtain one during the fall, but takes on the plane with a handgun as it comes back to finish him off.

And yes, railguns. Arnold dual-wields railguns.

The railguns have scopes that are basically mini versions of the X-Ray Machine from Total Recall, IIRC.

Also again, maybe I'm remembering wrong but there's a weird impaling theme in the movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Also again, maybe I'm remembering wrong but there's a weird impaling theme in the movie.

The rail guns have this effect almost like if the person was being hit by a giant spear thrown by the Predator. You see the green trail as the bullet goes through them, making it seem kinda like they're being impaled, and they get violently thrown back instead of just dropping like a sack of potatoes. It was a pretty neat effect actually, still holds up imo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Snowman_McK posted:

I disagree, it always struck me as a very 90s , though in a way that I'm struggling to qualify. It's Arnie trying to move with the times.

The 90s was obsessed with the idea that everything is a conspiracy reaching up to the highest levels of government, and Eraser has a conspiracy-riddled plot. Even the title refers to the protagonist's unique job of faking assassinations for the federal gov't to protect people from powerful criminal conspiracies.

Snowman_McK posted:

Also the bit where you suddenly realise that a Hollywood action star literally has no idea how to throw a punch.

To be fair, makiwara and wooden dummies practically encourage you to throw punches like this. A really good makiwara gives as much resistance as it gets. So if you hit a makiwara with a really good punch, you injure your hand, realize sports equipment has come a long way in 100+ years, throw out the makiwara and buy a heavy bag.

I like the Ip Man movies, but it's downright silly when you realize that some wing chun guys are watching those movies and thinking yes, that's how a real fight works.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 19, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

The rail guns have this effect almost like if the person was being hit by a giant spear thrown by the Predator. You see the green trail as the bullet goes through them, making it seem kinda like they're being impaled, and they get violently thrown back instead of just dropping like a sack of potatoes. It was a pretty neat effect actually, still holds up imo.

Also I remember Arnie gets his hand nailed to a fridge lid by a cool nail-grenade.

I need to re-watch Eraser, it's not a bad movie.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Going back to Under Siege 2 a couple of pages ago, that movie will always have a soft spot in my heart because it features one of my favorite mid-90’s tropes: the CD-ROM doomsday weapon.

Oh lord, anytime a CD-ROM is used as a muguffin, or the Internet is presented as a place you go “into,” you know you’re in for a good time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I seem to recall a bizarre continuity error in On Deadly Ground where Seagal finds the MacGuffin Disk in a different place from where his murdered friend left it. Maybe the bad guys found it when they tossed his place, but wrote it off as a copy of Night Trap.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Eraser was directed by Chuck Russell (Dream Warriors, The Mask and uhhh Bless The Child) and it's a bit of a hoot. It's hilarious watching Arnold do martial arts. Of course it's a stunt double but still.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

They're kinda like the Farsight gun from Perfect Dark, but with the cool spiral effect and rail sound from Quake 2.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Narzack posted:

They're kinda like the Farsight gun from Perfect Dark, but with the cool spiral effect and rail sound from Quake 2.

Yea Quake 2 is what they remind me of.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Quake 2 took it from Eraser!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Quake 2 took it from Eraser!

My parents wouldn't let me watch rated R movies but a friend of mine had Quake 2 in his basement so I saw that first!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

James Woods Fan posted:

Eraser was directed by Chuck Russell (Dream Warriors, The Mask and uhhh Bless The Child) and it's a bit of a hoot. It's hilarious watching Arnold do martial arts. Of course it's a stunt double but still.

I love his martial arts. I watched it as I was learning some of those kicks, and I just love the idea of some choregrapher going 'well, he's broken necks and punched people pretty convincingly for a decade and a half now, let's have the 50 year old body builder start throwing spinning heel kicks out of nowhere.'

Halloween Jack posted:

The 90s was obsessed with the idea that everything is a conspiracy reaching up to the highest levels of government, and Eraser has a conspiracy-riddled plot. Even the title refers to the protagonist's unique job of faking assassinations for the federal gov't to protect people from powerful criminal conspiracies.
We were talking about how a film can be a 90s or 80s film without being made in that decade earlier, and this makes me think that 'Shooter' is probably a 90s film, despite being made in 2007. Though, tellingly, it cuts out the huge conspiracy of the novels.

Halloween Jack posted:

To be fair, makiwara and wooden dummies practically encourage you to throw punches like this. A really good makiwara gives as much resistance as it gets. So if you hit a makiwara with a really good punch, you injure your hand, realize sports equipment has come a long way in 100+ years, throw out the makiwara and buy a heavy bag.

I like the Ip Man movies, but it's downright silly when you realize that some wing chun guys are watching those movies and thinking yes, that's how a real fight works.

Counterpoint: A quick google search tuns up a bunch of old guys who can at least throw a semi convincing punch on one of those things. Seagal reminds me of those idiots on Youtube who go 'I'm throwing 100 punches in 6 seconds' and do so without actually throwing a single good punch. Except Seagal does it slow.

Seagal looks absolutely wrecked while lifting a bar with no weights. He looked quite strong, right up until he had to do anything mildly athletic.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Davros1 posted:

Woo had a whole boat chase on the bayou planned for Hard Target, then ended up getting dropped because Van Damme said "nah, I want to ride a horse instead"

The storyboarding for that sequence got dumped into Face/Off’s climax.

Neo Rasa posted:

It’s pretty fun, especially if you’re a fan of Quake 2 or 3.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so I slept on Hanna for the longest time because I knew it was a PG-13 and... honestly I don't tend to like PG-13 action much

I am a loving idiot for doing that

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't seen it yet but it's been on my list for a while.

It's one of those ones that I was sure must be a remake of a 20-year old French movie (possibly directed by Luc Besson) and was surprised to find out it wasn't.

Netflix or Amazon (?) is doing a TV series of it, I believe.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so I slept on Hanna for the longest time because I knew it was a PG-13 and... honestly I don't tend to like PG-13 action much

I am a loving idiot for doing that

You are. You really are.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Hannah's soundtrack owns too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snowman_McK posted:

You are. You really are.

it's honestly loving hilarious to me that i ignored it for so long because of the MPAA rating, because that movie is just barely a PG-13

like, I seriously would not have guessed if I didn't already know, it's weirdly bloody and violent and doesn't have much camera fuckery to hide it

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it's honestly loving hilarious to me that i ignored it for so long because of the MPAA rating, because that movie is just barely a PG-13

like, I seriously would not have guessed if I didn't already know, it's weirdly bloody and violent and doesn't have much camera fuckery to hide it

I stopped paying attention to ratings some time ago (unless I'm watching on Stan, which warns me when i'm watching an R movie) and that really surprises me, since the fight scenes felt really impressively brutal to me. Like, Saoirse Ronan is a lot more convincing as a fist fighter than you'd expect waifish thing like her to be. She clearly put the work in.

Also, Cate Blanchett's villain is absolutely amazing. That thing with the teeth is just such a bizarre way to sell her character.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Since it was brought up in the horror movie thread, I want to go on record saying the first Ninja Turtles movie rules.

EDIT- Actually, I like them all a lot. The second movie has Keno, for heaven's sake! And old grizzled dirty feudal Casey Jones is in the third one. And the first cg movie was cool, too. The new live action ones are dumb, though, they do have their personalities pretty on-point.

Narzack fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 25, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has Forest Whitaker done many movies where he uses his martial arts? The only one that occurs to me off the top of my head is Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai, and an episode of Criminal Minds that acted as the in-series pilot for his short-lived spin-off where he's introduced stick-fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Narzack posted:

Since it was brought up in the horror movie thread, I want to go on record saying the first Ninja Turtles movie rules.

EDIT- Actually, I like them all a lot. The second movie has Keno, for heaven's sake! And old grizzled dirty feudal Casey Jones is in the third one. And the first cg movie was cool, too. The new live action ones are dumb, though, they do have their personalities pretty on-point.

That first flick rules pretty hard. It's got some legit atmosphere to it, and is weird and grimy in a way that I really dig. The fight choreography ain't bad either, which is impressive considering the costumes the stuntpeople had to work with.

Casey Jones spending his nights hanging out in the trees in Central Park just to beat up rando perverts should be its own movie.