Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

skaboomizzy posted:

I had UVA in the title game and I don't even care.

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Status of brackets right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VG2aJyIFrA&t=144s

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

skaboomizzy posted:

I had UVA in the title game and I don't even care.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I had them going out in the Sweet 16 anyway so this doesn't hurt too much. Zona remains my biggest whiff by far.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
I thought for sure my bracket would be absolutely trashed but luckily I only had Arizona in the E8 and Virginia in the S16. Apparently that is good enough for 5th :toot:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I suddenly feel read bad and dumb for not doing any brackets this year.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I suddenly feel read bad and dumb for not doing any brackets this year.
There's a decent chance your south region wouldn't be doing hot and you didn't miss much.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

seton hall just back door covered so hard im gonna die

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I had Houston in the Final Four :rip:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Somehow I still have 7 of 8 Elite Eight teams alive, and the South region got so blown up that whiffing on Arizona might not even hurt me that much.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

skaboomizzy posted:

I had Houston in the Final Four :rip:

When you pick crazy gambles expect disappointment

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I am the reason dumb people should not be allowed to vote.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hako posted:

I am the reason dumb people should not be allowed to vote.

I was about to say if you'd picked Nevada over Texas you'd probably be about halfway decent compared to the masses, then I noticed you managed to pick the only upset that didn't happen.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Grittybeard posted:

I was about to say if you'd picked Nevada over Texas you'd probably be about halfway decent compared to the masses, then I noticed you managed to pick the only upset that didn't happen.

I just looked at the SAS pool and I have the 4th highest possible points available :shrug: However my bracket looks like total poo poo all around I have no idea what I was thinking having Houston and New Mexico going so far for among other dumb ideas. I doing good with my final 4 until Cincy poo poo the bed.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Nice. I currently have the highest possible remaining points in the goon challenge.

I mean, that'll fall apart soon, but for now, the dream is alive.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
I had the highest possible points remaining to start the day. I also had MSU over UNC in the title game so...

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
3 of my Final Four teams didn't survive the first weekend. That about does it for me.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm sure I'm not alone - who else has no one left in the south?

If you went with the "lower numbers mean better teams" approach like I did, I've got some bad news about your south region...

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I lost 3 Final Four teams today (Xavier, Auburn, Cincy)

My champ (Villanova) is still alive though!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--same, except I had MSU instead of Auburn

Benne posted:

3 of my Final Four teams didn't survive the first weekend. That about does it for me.

I made it to Sunday in decent shape, then this happened to me :v:

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm sure I'm not alone - who else has no one left in the south?

If you went with the "lower numbers mean better teams" approach like I did, I've got some bad news about your south region...

I had Nevada making the Elite Eight before losing to Virginia, so I can still salvage another couple points.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
My title game of Purdue over Michigan will carry me to homer glory

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Checking some of the other brackets, there are some pretty hilarious results for people who made perfectly normal picks. I see someone near the top with no one left on the entire left side - ouch, they're done. Contrast that with The Beard, who might have this whole thing wrapped up after the first weekend if a game or two goes his way. Dude's remaining points are insane.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Hmm, just double checked, there's not a single game I can win left in any region other than the East, where I have the sweet 16 called correctly + my NC pick. And the east is just chalk so far other than WVU.

That seems mildly impressive in a not good way.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Checking some of the other brackets, there are some pretty hilarious results for people who made perfectly normal picks. I see someone near the top with no one left on the entire left side - ouch, they're done. Contrast that with The Beard, who might have this whole thing wrapped up after the first weekend if a game or two goes his way. Dude's remaining points are insane.

This whole thing could come crashing down for sure. I mean, I did pick TTU to win it all, so...

But I'm feeling pretty good about things for right now.

This year's winner will ultimately come down to whoever picked the national champion right, though. Points after week 1 are too close.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I only got four sweet 16 "hubs" right the entire first weekend, correctly picking Zaga over OSU, Michigan over Houston, Purdue over Butler, and Duke over Rhode Island. Every other hub had at least one thing wrong.

Incredibly I didn't have a single completely incorrect hub and I got the (mostly chalky) remaining teams in the Boston regional correct.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Well I had Virginia winning it all, so that sucks. My south is completely wiped out, but I still have 3/4 for the F4. Not finishing anywhere near the top, but doing ok. I believed in Virginia too much, even after they had a big injury. Cost me a bunch in various other brackets.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone seen a perfect south bracket yet? This is the closest I've found.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Hako posted:

Has anyone seen a perfect south bracket yet? This is the closest I've found.

Two wrong is really impressive!

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Poque posted:

Two wrong is really impressive!

I was about to correct you then I realized where you went there.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Turns out picking Villanova to win it all is about the only reason I'm still alive in this

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah , I enjoy making the picks, but the scoring system makes it pretty clear that picking the winner is what matters. The person in 49th (of 56) would jump to 1st if their team won it all. So you've got people like myself (in 2nd) who are just kinda marking time until the big point rounds put things in place.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
lol, I'm leading this thing and looking forward to a chance at the 500 bitcoin prize.

Yahoo default scoring does sort suck and allows someone to land a haymaker from last place to first by just having the winner since the final game is worth so much.

In the league I've run for 20+ years we've been using officefootballpools and you can set up many more scoring options like upset seed bonus differentials, round bonuses, etc and also I've set the round pts as the Fibonacci sequence 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21 just to make it bizzare. I was trying to get people to pick a few huge upsets to get the bonus points and so far it's been working great.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
In the DRunkNerds win beer bracket, someone is 99.8%ile and has loyola losing to kansas in the finals. There is a chance he could end up as espn's top bracket and win a car and whatever.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 27, 2018

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Looks like we're down to two frontrunners. "The Worst Bracket," irony of ironies, will easily win if Villanova takes care of business, while "DC Murderverse" takes it all if Michigan wins.

A lot of people picked Nova and are technically still alive, but none of their brackets held up enough to be serious contenders. Worst Bracket got over the top by getting 3 Final Four teams right, including a near-perfect West region with Michigan getting through. They also had Virginia out in the Round of 32, so that upset wasn't as damaging as others. Meanwhile, DC Murderverse's faith in Michigan paid off, to the point that Virginia and Michigan State's stumbles didn't hurt them too bad.

This weird-rear end tournament led to some weird-rear end bracket results, but at least we have a little drama heading into the title game. Good luck to those two.

Benne fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 1, 2018

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Is there a GDT for tonight that I'm just too stupid to find?

E: nvm. I am too stupid apparently.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 3, 2018

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
How many other goons have Michigan winning (besides Murder)? .....just checked, under standings/all..........he's the only one with Michigan.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 3, 2018

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I am proud to be the champion of people who didn't appreciate how dominant Villanova would be.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I am proud to have spent the entire season in the last 10 places in the rankings only to jump to #8 in the final rankings because I appreciated how dominant Villanova would be. I am now telling all my friends that I have sources and watch tape and that my opinions are somehow more important than theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Where is my 5,000 buttcoin?? :homebrew:

This tourney was mostly about picking against Virginia.

• Locked thread