Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

RandallODim posted:

Hell and Mars? Forget Phantasm, Evil Dead VS Doom when? They even both love chainsaws!

Ash VS Doomguy would create a perpetual motion machine that could power the entire earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Glad I only had to skip like a page and a half of Season 3 talk (kinda? Would be nice if more people were watching) but just wanted to say I binged through season 2 recently and holy hell I didn’t know what was missing from my life but that was it.

Really love the call backs like the drawing of the stick figure lady dancing with her head in her hand and Pablo’s arm coming out of the cabin ash like he original poster for ED.

Will catch up on season 3 this weekend.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chokes McGee posted:

Ash VS Doomguy would create a perpetual motion machine that could power the entire earth

That's kind of hilarious because American McGee (which was the real heart of Doom's vibe, along with Romero, two people who flailed about on their own mostly) pushed for the double barrel shotgun and chainsaw because of Ash.

If you read the original story to Doom (back when it had cutscenes!) it was super super super "Evil Dead in space." Right down to there being a Necronomicon like book you could get that acted as the BFG in that version.

ED: I'm not just guessing here, by the way. I doubt you could find it now but back in those days the iD developers used to get on usenet and actually just talk with people all the time, sometimes IRC. It was something McGee outright explained that Evil Dead was one of the biggest influences and that it lead to the chainsaw as a must-have item. I mostly remember this because I actually tried to rent Evil Dead 2 because of that interview (even though it was rented out already and it was another like 10 years until I saw it).

So yes, I eventually saw Evil Dead not because it was a horror classic but because I had to know what movie inspired a good part of Doom. (For those curious the other big sources he cited were of course Aliens, Dawn of the Dead and iD's old D&D campaigns.)

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 16, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheBizzness posted:

Glad I only had to skip like a page and a half of Season 3 talk (kinda? Would be nice if more people were watching) but just wanted to say I binged through season 2 recently and holy hell I didn’t know what was missing from my life but that was it.

Really love the call backs like the drawing of the stick figure lady dancing with her head in her hand and Pablo’s arm coming out of the cabin ash like he original poster for ED.

Will catch up on season 3 this weekend.

Despite a lot of fears (including my own) that season 3 would fall apart after the show runner fallout at the end of season 2 (that also made the season 2 finale one of the weaker episodes in the whole series), season 3 has been on fire and at absolute peak Ash vs Evil Dead.

I was worried when the score started using a lot of Army of Darkness stuff they were going to lose their uncanny ability to pick awesome music, but this was quickly proven wrong (and the last end credits sequence made me nearly choke on my drink). It took a few episodes but now I realize how much more it makes the show sound like the movies while still keeping it's awesome song selection, so A+. In fact going from this really straight-faced orchestra music to the 70s acid rock works even better.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 16, 2018

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Man the possessed Delta grinding Brock’s face off with its tire is extremely my poo poo.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

TheBizzness posted:

Man the possessed Delta grinding Brock’s face off with its tire is extremely my poo poo.

The Possessed Delta is one of the high points of S2 in general for me. It makes so much sense in terms of the Evil trying to really gently caress with Ash.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Pablo no :smith:

So Kelly continues to become the next Ash by chopping off her leg, and the team manages to blunder their way into banishing the Evil from Pablo, right? It happened before with Ash, so it's possible...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This season remains great.

Legit surprised the dude in the cellar didn't go Deadite

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Chokes McGee posted:

Pablo no :smith:

So Kelly continues to become the next Ash by chopping off her leg, and the team manages to blunder their way into banishing the Evil from Pablo, right? It happened before with Ash, so it's possible...

That's totally what I thought, and it's going to be great!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Deadite Pablo! Oh no!

That was some intense poo poo between Pablo getting possessed and Kelly getting infected. Can't wait to see how they get out of it and horrified that they might not totally. Love my Horrific Scooby Doo show.

Burkion posted:

This season remains great.

Legit surprised the dude in the cellar didn't go Deadite

There's still time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The thing is

At any moment Pablo and Kelly could bite it. Because that's exactly how Ash's life works.

Ruby, the knights, the DARK ONES, none of those really matter and Ash knows it.

It comes down to The Evil and him. Every time. Any bit of happiness he has could be stripped away and he'd be lost again.

Ash has been riding a high the last few years and he drat well knows it.

One thing that occurs to me How great would it be for Brandi to die, only for it to be revealed that Kelly WAS in fact Ash's daughter

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Just started Season 3

You can call me Dad. Unless you’re a deadite and then you can go gently caress yourself!!!

Edit: Holy gently caress this band room scene!

TheBizzness fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 19, 2018

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The music tugged your strings?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Blazing Ownager posted:

That's kind of hilarious because American McGee (which was the real heart of Doom's vibe, along with Romero, two people who flailed about on their own mostly) pushed for the double barrel shotgun and chainsaw because of Ash.

So this explains why using a double barrel with an offhand quick melee chainsaw in one of the Doom mods I played a while back felt so right :haw:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

One thing that occurs to me How great would it be for Brandi to die, only for it to be revealed that Kelly WAS in fact Ash's daughter

It's rather unlikely as we met both of her parents in her debut.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm just gonna say it.

Its a bad idea. I get why it was thought of and tossed around and I get why people like it. But its totally unnecessary and would just be forced at this stage.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

STAC Goat posted:

I'm just gonna say it.

Its a bad idea. I get why it was thought of and tossed around and I get why people like it. But its totally unnecessary and would just be forced at this stage.

At this stage? Yes. At the time, as a direct narrative consequence of more irresponsible time travel? I would have been all about that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, if it had been a thing from early on I would have gone with it. But at this stage it just doesn't fit at all, not just because of what's happened with other stuff and characters but also with Kelly herself. She's her own character. She's got her own stuff now. I love the idea that she wasn't content to just stay with Ash like Pablo but she went off to find someone to fight more Evil with and get more answers. She doesn't need to be forced into another idea of another character.

Like at this stage I think I may see Pablo and Kelly as characters almost as equal and full as Ash. It will be tough to get all the way there since Ash has been a character for decades. But I think Pablo and Kelly are as far there as they can be in a couple of years. They deserve their own lanes.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really digging how serialized this season is. It makes the stakes feel a lot higher.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The ratings are pretty terrible this year and Bruce has been pushing the idea it might be the last season unless things dramatically improve. Surprised since supposedly it was huge on Netflix.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

The ratings are pretty terrible this year and Bruce has been pushing the idea it might be the last season unless things dramatically improve. Surprised since supposedly it was huge on Netflix.

I can't IMAGINE why they'd be terrible when Starz hosed up when they got aired out of the usual spot

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Between Starz dropping off cable platforms this year and the fact that the show gets pre-released on their streaming service each week I'm not really sure how anyone could expect the ratings NOT to be down.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I watch the show Sunday mornings most of the time on the Starz app.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I can’t imagine Starz having that much of a viewer base anyways. It’s always in a package of HBO or something. Being in the premium cable business must be the shits right now.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

Between Starz dropping off cable platforms this year and the fact that the show gets pre-released on their streaming service each week I'm not really sure how anyone could expect the ratings NOT to be down.

Given everything I wish they'd seriously consider moving to Netflix.

It sounds like AvsED isn't going down in ratings because of the show but like you said, the fact the platform it's on is caving in and imploding.

Invalid Validation posted:

I can’t imagine Starz having that much of a viewer base anyways. It’s always in a package of HBO or something. Being in the premium cable business must be the shits right now.

They were improving, a lot, and on track to become an actual player on their own.

That's why the cable companies hosed them over and tried to nip that poo poo in the bud before they could become a streaming competitor. The entire argument (and subsequent dropping of them) was because they were trying to slash their profits since Starz was streaming stuff. HBO's too big to fail but the assholes want to blow Starz kneecaps out before they could get running.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 21, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Why is anyone talking about ratings at all? Starz is a premium subscription network, subs matter, not ratings.

Ratings can be in the toilet, but if those people watching are only subscribing to Starz for AvED, then it can be worth it to still make the show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Alright that was gross.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The behind the scenes about all the ways they emotionally scarred three year olds was something else.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Jeeeeesus they went places with this episode

It owned

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
These episodes are great so far, but I wish they could get anyone else to do behind the scenes interviews. I don't know what it is, but I cannot stand Rob Tapert.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I really loved Pablo’s Brujo ritual. In fact Pablo has been the stand out character of the season so far.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

he's amazing (-looking)

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Gaz2k21 posted:

Jeeeeesus they went places with this episode

It owned

:mmmhmm: It's one way to play peek-a-boo. And I thought the bowling balls were only there to get dropped onto Ash's head.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Every episode I’m surprised by how loving jacked Pablo is.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Aw man that was so good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TheBizzness posted:

Every episode I’m surprised by how loving jacked Pablo is.

Yeah, I was genuinely shocked the first time he took his shirt off. Its remarkable what some baggy clothes and really distracting hairdo can hide.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

he's a really powerful vagina.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I was kind of worried with all the showrunner drama between seasons 2 and 3 but holy poo poo they are absolutely killing so far.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I was kind of worried with all the showrunner drama between seasons 2 and 3 but holy poo poo they are absolutely killing so far.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Your Gay Uncle posted:

to be fair this series always had a high bodycount

• Locked thread