Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

spasticColon posted:

It doesn't have to be 36" x 16" the mat just can't be any bigger than exactly 36" x 16" (I checked with a measuring tape) or it won't fit on my desk with my soundbar and my 4K HDTV with its feet that stick out a little bit. But I do want it large enough for both a standard-sized keyboard and mouse for gaming. The Razer one is slightly too long but that SteelSeries one looks nice and it would fit on my desk but it doesn't have the edge stitching or is that not a big deal?

It hasn't been an issue for me yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
After much thought and indecision I finally have my heart set on a mouse+keyboard mat:

https://www.amazon.com/Sanag-Washab...aming+mouse+mat

Good size, edge stitching, and only $15.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I got a Contour Unimouse off ebay a week or two a go. Have been using it full time since, predominantly in CAD software.

I've found a very comfortable position, which is actually in full vertical adjustment.

It doesnt feel expensive in any way, it's really light weight and basic plastics all over. But all the functional aspects are solid i.e theres no movement in the hinges and adjustments once you set them in position (though maybe there might be after time and wear)

BUT, the sensor seems a little twitchy. I think an element of that is I'm mousing at a slightly different angle, so my muscle memory is out a bit. But I dont think the sensor is as good a quality as I'm used to with the 10 year old Logitech G5 than I'm coming from. It's not severe, but it's enough to make wonder whether I'll stick with it long term.

The confusing thing is the Mouse itself has a DPI/Sensor adjustment, 10 increments. And the driver also has "Cursor Sensitivity Control" with 11 increments. I cant really figure out which way round to set them!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Is Steelseries RMA as bad as Razer's? I'm about to return a wonky mouse, though I sort of expect strings attached since I basically got it out of warranty by complaining to their support that I've never had a mouse go bad on me so quick.

If it all goes to rot and I have to buy an alternative, is Corsair Harpoon okay? I already own a Corsair keyboard and have their software installed, so I sort of favor their mouse over HyperX or something just to remove some bloat.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I've had a Logitech MX518 since 2010 and half of the buttons don't work anymore, so I guess it's time for a new mouse. Is there anything close to the MX518 in terms of ergonomics and functionality? I play games with it sometimes, but I'm much more interested in something comfortable to use than having a bunch of buttons or a "gamer look".

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Postman posted:

I've had a Logitech MX518 since 2010 and half of the buttons don't work anymore, so I guess it's time for a new mouse. Is there anything close to the MX518 in terms of ergonomics and functionality? I play games with it sometimes, but I'm much more interested in something comfortable to use than having a bunch of buttons or a "gamer look".
I went from the MX518 to the G502 and it's been great.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I went from MX518 (several of them over about 7 years) to Rival to G502 and the G502 is the proper successor I'm pretty sure. Ignore the stupid batmobile aesthetic and feel it in your hand, you'll agree. I like three weights in the back and one in front, but play around, see how you like it.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I just want a G403 with more than four buttons.

How else am I going to play Fortnite?

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
they day my mx518 stops working is the day i stop playing pc games.

i picked up this cutesy Anker 'vertical' mouse on a deal the other day, it just arrived at the office.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BIFNTMC/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it is nice and comfy but its so light! I dont' think I'll be able to use it if i dont' figure out a way to weigh it down.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Thanks for the recommendations. Just ordered the G502 on sale from Best Buy.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Last page I mentioned I ordered a Elecom HUGE trackball mouse after the few posts discussing trackballs. I like it so far. It has been used for work stuff, playing some games (Civ, EQ, no FPS so nothing extremely precise), and I haven’t really had anything negative to say about it so far. Feels good to use, my wrist definitely has some much needed relief from using a mouse for 10+ hours daily minimum. Probably should have done this sooner.

e: 7/6: I can no longer recommend the HUGE. Something about it ended up causing more pain and problems for me than a standard trackpad after using it heavily for a few months. Really disappointed, but needed to update my post to reflect the fact that this was a bad choice for me personally in the long run.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 6, 2018

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Careful Drums posted:

it is nice and comfy but its so light! I dont' think I'll be able to use it if i dont' figure out a way to weigh it down.

So you bought an ergonomic mouse and are going to make it less ergonomic by making it heavier?

Anyone know if you can get fresh mouse feet for a G403? Mine are getting trashed, this is the most immediate problem I've had with every Logitech mouse I've owned.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Hotline games sells replacements. I used them when I did the mouse wheel repair on the original batches before Logitech fixed the production runs.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

I got a logitech G403 with a scroll wheel that keeps randomly reversing its orientation. I need a recomendation for a replacement (preferably wireless) gaming mouse under $60

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Chomskyan posted:

I got a logitech G403 with a scroll wheel that keeps randomly reversing its orientation. I need a recomendation for a replacement (preferably wireless) gaming mouse under $60

A replacement for free from Logitech

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
There is no other good wireless gaming mouse.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Did you update the firmware? They released an update last week that addressed that issue. It's not in the LGS, but it's a separate executable.

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/g403-prodigy-wired-gaming-mouse/downloads

Audax fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 26, 2018

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

A replacement for free from Logitech

I’ve had it for almost a year though, would it still be under warranty?

Audax posted:

Did you update the firmware? They released an update last week that addressed that issue. It's not in the LGS, but it's a separate executable.

I thought I did, but maybe I just downloaded the compainion app. Will double check tonight

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Chomskyan posted:

I thought I did, but maybe I just downloaded the compainion app. Will double check tonight

isn't the standard warranty period a year for most first-world countries?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Generic Monk posted:

isn't the standard warranty period a year for most first-world countries?

I don’t know. I thought it depended on the company. I’ll look into it

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Any recommendations for a good wired mouse? I keep having problems with wireless mouse lag with how my desk is set up, and I've just always felt more comfortable with a wired connection.

I would be upgrading from this dinky little thing, so really, any decent-to-good mouse would be nice.

e: I should mention that it would be primarily for gaming (FFXIV and occasional FPS games), optical is preferred, and a long cord would be nice but isn't necessary.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 26, 2018

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

DizzyBum posted:

Any recommendations for a good wired mouse? I keep having problems with wireless mouse lag with how my desk is set up, and I've just always felt more comfortable with a wired connection.

I would be upgrading from this dinky little thing, so really, any decent-to-good mouse would be nice.

e: I should mention that it would be primarily for gaming (FFXIV and occasional FPS games), optical is preferred, and a long cord would be nice but isn't necessary.

I like the Corsair Glaive RGB.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Chomskyan posted:

I don’t know. I thought it depended on the company. I’ll look into it

It's at least worth a try, and while their reputation for customer service is slipping, Logitech still goes above and beyond to help people outside of warranty.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Chomskyan posted:

I hope I'm not wrong on this, but warranty on G403 should be two years WW. If the firmware update does not help, please contact Customer Care.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Careful Drums posted:

they day my mx518 stops working is the day i stop playing pc games.

i picked up this cutesy Anker 'vertical' mouse on a deal the other day, it just arrived at the office.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BIFNTMC/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been waiting for someone to release a new wired mouse as professional-looking as the G500, but the verticals are awfully tempting. Anyone have experience with vertical mice (preferably wired) for gaming? Are there models that are nice and responsive/easy to pick up/etc? In hand, do they feel like a step down from the G500, etc. in terms of quality?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Stickman posted:

I've been waiting for someone to release a new wired mouse as professional-looking as the G500, but the verticals are awfully tempting. Anyone have experience with vertical mice (preferably wired) for gaming? Are there models that are nice and responsive/easy to pick up/etc? In hand, do they feel like a step down from the G500, etc. in terms of quality?

There only seems to be like two or three different models in all and other companies just put their own branding on them.

I use one of these branded by Anker. My friend uses one of these and has a tendency to click the mouse button when lifting it. I play a lot of pubg and I'm the one who usually gets the win for my friend and I when we play duos. I say we get about 1 win a night out of 6-10 rounds. Played a 3 man squad last night and I had 5 kills, friend had 4, and I won the game for the squad last Man standing 1v1.

It feels really light in my hands, but it doesn't feel like it's going to break if I squeeze it too hard. For the first few months it felt slippery because of hand oils, but the surface texture eventually wore down and now it feels like picking up a regular mouse. It'll take about a week or so to get used to, but it helps me with my RSI of my wrist.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 31, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

SlayVus posted:

There only seems to be like two or three different models in all and other companies just put their own branding on them.

I use one of these branded by Anker. My friend uses one of these and has a tendency to click the mouse button when lifting it. I play a lot of pubg and I'm the one who usually gets the win for my friend and I when we play duos. I say we get about 1 win a night out of 6-10 rounds. Played a 3 man squad last night and I had 5 kills, friend had 4, and I won the game for the squad last Man standing 1v1.

It feels really light in my hands, but it doesn't feel like it's going to break if I squeeze it too hard. For the first few months it felt slippery because of hand oils, but the surface texture eventually wore down and now it feels like picking up a regular mouse. It'll take about a week or so to get used to, but it helps me with my RSI of my wrist.

Thanks! I'll give one of the Anker-style mice a try - it's cheap enough that there's no reason not to. I'm not terribly competitive, but accidentally clicking when picking up the mouse would drive me nuts.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

g603 update: on the 'high' mode it literally feels like using a wired mouse. material is much preferred to the zowie fk; whatever glossy plastic they used on that thing caused it to need cleaning a *lot* to make it not feel horrible (and my hands are pretty clean/dry fwiw). with one battery in it's probably the perfect weight; impressive how light they got the thing without making it into a creaky mess that you can literally crush with your hand (these exist).

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The scroll wheel on my G9X has kicked it after 6 years or so, which really isn't a bad run. Poking around it seems like prices on what's left of those are absolutely absurd, so what's my next best replacement? Wired only, budget up to 100 bucks.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

the yeti posted:

The scroll wheel on my G9X has kicked it after 6 years or so, which really isn't a bad run. Poking around it seems like prices on what's left of those are absolutely absurd, so what's my next best replacement? Wired only, budget up to 100 bucks.
Corsair M65 ($~50) - I used the M40 for several years but it's no longer being made. I don't like the sniper button on the M65 so I don't use it but it might work for you. M40 doesn't look much like the G9x but it let me hold it similarly.

Coolermaster 520 ($~30) looks interesting and is not expensive. I haven't held one but it made the list of mice I was looking at. Has the same sensor (3360) as the M65. More radical shape than the M65 or G9x so I was afraid to buy it without trying it and there weren't any in stores.

I went with the Corsair Sabre for $40. Slightly worse sensor (upgrade version of the previously best sensor that that 3360 supplanted) but I can't make it spin out and it's still damned good. Sometimes feels too "tall" despite being the same height as the M40 it replaced; I think the bump is distributed differently and it's ever so slightly more awkward to claw grip. Overall I like it but not better than the M40. I will look for a different mouse when it breaks.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
My Logitech Anywhere MX mouse is double-clicking way too often to be bearable, but I'm past the 3 year warranty with it. I really like the mouse, but I'm wary of the same thing happening again. Should I get another and just keep getting warranty replacements if this happens again in the future? Or is there a comparable wireless mouse around $40 that won't start double-clicking at random?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Shoren posted:

My Logitech Anywhere MX mouse is double-clicking way too often to be bearable, but I'm past the 3 year warranty with it. I really like the mouse, but I'm wary of the same thing happening again. Should I get another and just keep getting warranty replacements if this happens again in the future? Or is there a comparable wireless mouse around $40 that won't start double-clicking at random?

All mice are subject to faulty double-clicks due to failing microswitches. You will never escape it. It is inevitable.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

How long do you expect a $40 item to last, in any sphere? You're paying under $1/month. I think 3 years is generous.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

8-bit Miniboss posted:

All mice are subject to faulty double-clicks due to failing microswitches. You will never escape it. It is inevitable.

Eh, I fixed mine and I'm not super coordinated or very bright really

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

syscall girl posted:

Eh, I fixed mine and I'm not super coordinated or very bright really

I didn't say it was unfixable.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

How long do you expect a $40 item to last, in any sphere? You're paying under $1/month. I think 3 years is generous.

That's a good way of looking at things, but not what I was getting at, I should have been clearer. My mouse started that a long time ago and I'm worried that I won't get so lucky this time and it'll start it up again in less than 2 years. I'll just get another one and see what happens.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

BS I've never had a failed clicker button. I use MS mice though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

redeyes posted:

BS I've never had a failed clicker button. I use MS mice though.

Count your blessings.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I didn't say it was unfixable.

I didn't say I had reading comprehension. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002