Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Nightkin in the cave near Helios One become non hostile if you finish Crazy Crazy Crazy by letting Rhonda and Tabitha go free, and they also comment on your companions like the Chupacabra Nightkin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So, I recently tried to play Vampire Masquerade: Bloodlines because I'd heard it was a great and immersive RPG much like New Vegas.

Except, I couldn't get it to start on my computer. I tried everything: the official patch, the unofficial patch (This one got the game to open, but jumbled the text for reasons I couldn't find an explanation for and made the game unplayable), opening the game as an administrator, nothing worked. Eventually I gave up and asked steam for my money back.

It's sad to think that advancing technology renders many great games inaccessible. Here's hoping New Vegas will always have dedicated fans creating mods that make this wonderful, but incredibly buggy, game playable for years to come.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Neurolimal posted:

if you haven't killed him yet, go find the nightkin that murders brahmin at night, in the morning he's not hostile and will comment on your followers

What the gently caress??? This fuckin game

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Weird, I've never had any particular issue with Vampire. Just installed whatever version of the Wesp patch was out at the time (it's possible it's been altered and broken since then. Wesp does that) and off we went

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Morrowind is still playable (if a PITA) and that game had the programming equivalent of caveman scribblings, so NV should be playable for quite a few more years.

Vampire is just the perfect storm of very early beta Source engine + very bad programmers (for as much as I love Troika's games). Which leads to bizarre moves like prioritizing the game higher than your keyboard+mouse.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Nightkin in the cave near Helios One become non hostile if you finish Crazy Crazy Crazy by letting Rhonda and Tabitha go free, and they also comment on your companions like the Chupacabra Nightkin.

I've read that before, but they've always been hostile for me. Weird.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe it's because I had lily with me when I went in.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
After multiple attempts to get a heavily-modded FNV to run on a beefy Win 10 machine, I'm about to lose my poo poo. Everything is fine except for the music, which is stuttering/skipping and popping like crazy. Both radio songs and ambient music, sometimes even the music on the main menu. Sometimes it happens quick, sometimes it doesn't happen until 5-10 minutes into a session.

I decided to try a straight vanilla install to see what would happen, and the stuttering continued, which leads me to believe this is a Windows 10 problem. I've tried every solution I could google, including verification of game files, downloading new codecs, and changing the .ini files. Nothing is working. That dreaded audio cancer slips in somewhere just after Johnny Guitar.

Has anyone dealt with this? I'm about to conclude that FNV and Windows 10 just aren't meant to be together.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

physeter posted:

After multiple attempts to get a heavily-modded FNV to run on a beefy Win 10 machine, I'm about to lose my poo poo. Everything is fine except for the music, which is stuttering/skipping and popping like crazy. Both radio songs and ambient music, sometimes even the music on the main menu. Sometimes it happens quick, sometimes it doesn't happen until 5-10 minutes into a session.

I decided to try a straight vanilla install to see what would happen, and the stuttering continued, which leads me to believe this is a Windows 10 problem. I've tried every solution I could google, including verification of game files, downloading new codecs, and changing the .ini files. Nothing is working. That dreaded audio cancer slips in somewhere just after Johnny Guitar.

Has anyone dealt with this? I'm about to conclude that FNV and Windows 10 just aren't meant to be together.

This advice is based on something that happened for me on windows 7, but I need you to right click on the speaker icon in the taskbar and bring up playback devices. Then right click on the active speaker, go to advanced tab and set the default format to 16 bit, 44100 Hz.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Neurolimal posted:

Morrowind is still playable (if a PITA) and that game had the programming equivalent of caveman scribblings

it's me, the engine that renders absolutely everything regardless of whether or not the player can actually see it, or is even capable of ever seeing it

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it's me, the engine that renders absolutely everything regardless of whether or not the player can actually see it, or is even capable of ever seeing it
I loved your work with those buffalo in FFXV.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Neurolimal posted:

if you haven't killed him yet, go find the nightkin that murders brahmin at night, in the morning he's not hostile and will comment on your followers

What in the god drat

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Neurolimal posted:

Morrowind is still playable (if a PITA) and that game had the programming equivalent of caveman scribblings, so NV should be playable for quite a few more years.

Vampire is just the perfect storm of very early beta Source engine + very bad programmers (for as much as I love Troika's games). Which leads to bizarre moves like prioritizing the game higher than your keyboard+mouse.

troika was such a frustrating company. its three games were brilliant failures. arcanum was such a fantastic expansive world rpg with great quest design and writing, but it looked in every way like garbage and had the clunkiest and most poorly thought out mechanics. toee had probably the best combat system of any top-down rpg to that date, but was buggy as poo poo and with the most perfunctory storyline, characters and quests. vampire bloodlines fully used its source material, creating fantastic characters and channeling the gothic feel of the wod with an added dash of humour, but had crippling technical problems and, again, clunky mechanics.

bloodlines is really loving good despite its flaws though and i prefer it to new vegas. not as many choices but a tighter narrative and a more novel (for video games) setting.

quote:

no advice but i sympathise with your frustration. i went through many hours of tinkering to get fnv working with a smooth framerate over 50. eventually the recommendations i found that fixed it did not come from any well-written or slickly presented and comprehensive guide, but some random guy's poorly written suggestions on the steam forum.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Neurosis posted:

no advice but i sympathise with your frustration. i went through many hours of tinkering to get fnv working with a smooth framerate over 50. eventually the recommendations i found that fixed it did not come from any well-written or slickly presented and comprehensive guide, but some random guy's poorly written suggestions on the steam forum.

Well poo poo, what was the fix?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

a bunch of changes to the stutter remover settings and fallout user config file i can't remember, i'm afraid

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What fixed it for me was copy/pasting the nvsr.ini config settings from here: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34832/?tab=posts It's about the 3rd or 4th post down.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

physeter posted:

If you ever manage to fix that bug, I hope you don't end up with the "mouse doesn't work on pip boy" W10 bug. That's a fun one.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't know if it's W10 but I never noticed it beforehand: if you're on the world map in the pip-boy and then you switch over to the stats or item menus you won't be able to click on anything. Have to be on anything but the map screen before switching

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

2house2fly posted:

I don't know if it's W10 but I never noticed it beforehand: if you're on the world map in the pip-boy and then you switch over to the stats or item menus you won't be able to click on anything. Have to be on anything but the map screen before switching

I had that bug once. I can't remember how I fixed it but of I recall correctly it was related to a mod or a config file.
It might have also been a sound driver issue? poo poo it's been a while but I definitely know the bug you mean.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 16, 2018

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

delta534 posted:

This advice is based on something that happened for me on windows 7, but I need you to right click on the speaker icon in the taskbar and bring up playback devices. Then right click on the active speaker, go to advanced tab and set the default format to 16 bit, 44100 Hz.

It's a good guess and I've used that fix before myself, but in this case no dice. I already cycled every format through both stereo and 5.1 configurations just to be sure.

I'm going to try the NVSR .ini edits tonight, since there seems to be some link between FPS stutter and audio stutter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Question: I'm doing an NCR run but I am wondering where the cutoff is in it from completing Legion quests. I know that both the Legion and the NCR refuse to work with you if you continue House's quest to investigate the Omertas, but how far down the NCR questline can I go before they lock me out? Will the subquests within For the Republic Part 2 count towards Beware the Wrath of Caesar! or will Wrath only fail upon completion of For the Republic Pt. 2?

I want to kill House and return to Caesar because I've never heard his dialogue past demanding House's death, but I want to get to House's removal in the NCR questline first. It's a balancing act.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Question: I'm doing an NCR run but I am wondering where the cutoff is in it from completing Legion quests. I know that both the Legion and the NCR refuse to work with you if you continue House's quest to investigate the Omertas, but how far down the NCR questline can I go before they lock me out? Will the subquests within For the Republic Part 2 count towards Beware the Wrath of Caesar! or will Wrath only fail upon completion of For the Republic Pt. 2?

I want to kill House and return to Caesar because I've never heard his dialogue past demanding House's death, but I want to get to House's removal in the NCR questline first. It's a balancing act.

Once you get Beware the Wrath, if you complete one more objective in For the Republic, Part 2, the Legion are permanently hostile. This means you can't get as far as killing House for the NCR, I don't think, as you have to deal with the Strip families before you're ordered to take him out. I don't know what happens if you kill him on your own beforehand.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So it looks like I'll have to kill House for Caesar first and then return to him to get the dialogue. That will probably trigger Don't Tread on the Bear!, but that's hardly anything new.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Arcsquad12 posted:

So it looks like I'll have to kill House for Caesar first and then return to him to get the dialogue. That will probably trigger Don't Tread on the Bear!, but that's hardly anything new.

Yeah, you can get up to allying with the Boomers for the Legion before the NCR start to get antsy. If you continue with Render Unto Caesar at that point you'll lose them.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Ha, doing yet another run and was enjoying the novelty of keeping the Legion at least neutral so I didn't have assassins on my rear end every waking hour. Boone ended that one in a hurry as soon as I recruited him. Whoops.

Also talking to the cloaked Nightkin at Novac is pretty great. I assume he has commentary for all of the party members? Got him to say stuff about Boone and ED-E.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Yeah, I think he has a line for every ally.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
His comment about Arcade is particularly interesting if you don't know his backstory (and if you do, i guess. How does he know?!)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I didn't see anyone mention it but the FO3>FO4 conversion seems to have been killed by legal threat (over, weirdly enough, the voice acting files, even legally acquired, being use in a different context.)

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/03/unexpected-legal-snag-stops-fallout-3-remake-mod-within-fallout-4/

Presumably the same issue could kill any NV>FO4 mod.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

It was talked about in the fallout general thread.

The NV mod has said they are going to try and re-do the voice acting and continue their work instead of scrapping the mod like the FO3 one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't really know how these things work, but assuming the NV->FO4 mod allows people to run their own mods on top of it, would it be that hard for someone disconnected from the original conversion to make a program that strips the voice files from a New Vegas install and pop them into the conversion?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

The FO3 people apparently just don't want to continue without being able to use the voices but yes, it's likely that if either of these actually finish someone will write something that can rip and do whatever is needed to get them to work in the new mod. However it would technically be illegal so the actual makers would be at too much risk to do it themselves.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Distributing a FO4 mod that contains files from FO3/F:NV would be something Bethesda can actually shut down. But there's nothing illegal about putting a tool out there that takes your FO3/F:NV install and grabs the necessary files from there. If it was, then pretty much all community-made modding tools would be illegal.

Bethesda's stance when it comes to just the idea of porting of assets between their games has always been to freak out and send in the lawyers. I have no clue what the Road to Liberty guys were thinking and what their planned method for FO3's audio was, but if they had not asked Bethesda for permission and not packaged any FO3 files in with their installer it would have been fine.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 19, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
To quote myself from the other thread:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So as an update, the situation according to the developers is that Bethesda can't let it slide because they're technically not the owners of the voice acting files-while they made the game and conducted the VA, the rights to the actual files don't belong to Bethesda, and for them to be used again would require brand-new license fees to be paid out.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Does F:NV somehow accidentally still feature under the license for the use of those voice acting files? Because Tale of Two Wastelands never got that sort of communication from Bethesda. Lower profile, sure, but you'd assume they'd want to avoid a situation like this nonetheless.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Tale of Two Wastelands never got that sort of communication from Bethesda.
If the TTW team had ever contacted Bethesda in any way they would have gotten a similar response. This really is nothing new. Bethesda's stance is the same as it has always been.
The rule for porting content between Bethesda's games is don't distribute any files from the games and don't contact Bethesda.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Does F:NV somehow accidentally still feature under the license for the use of those voice acting files? Because Tale of Two Wastelands never got that sort of communication from Bethesda. Lower profile, sure, but you'd assume they'd want to avoid a situation like this nonetheless.

my understanding is that, like a lot of mod legalities, is that tale of Two Wastelands is technically illegal, but because Bethesda wasn't officially approached about it (and as far as I'm aware, none of the voice actors have complained or anything) they can kinda turn a blind eye to it, but because they were specifically told about the other one, they can't just pretend that it doesn't exist

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
IIRC TTW is also in a slightly more legally grey situation in that the VA files could be used in New Vegas with zero modification. By contrast for Fallout 4 they'd have to be converted into a new file format, which may have been enough to tip the legal scales in Bethesda's eyes.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

It's not even specifically Bethesda; it's that Bethesda doesn't actually own the rights to the voice acting files and therefore can't give legal permission for another person to take and modify them. They were licensed by Bethesda to be used in Fallout 3 and that's it.

Much like most other game recreations, it's not technically legal but in most cases it's not high profile enough to matter. If the team had never been in contact with Bethesda it probably could have made it all the way to the end and it's highly unlikely that the people who do actually control the rights to the voice acting would ever notice or care but Bethesda can't be seen as promoting what is technically copyright infringement of another party's work.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
that's... completely and utterly insane of Bethesda and they really loving need new lawyers who can write less wonky contracts

e: like, unironically, what kind of loving idiot makes a game with voice acting and then doesn't get the rights to that voice acting in perpetuity so they can loving re-release the game without re-recording every single line of dialogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

that's... completely and utterly insane of Bethesda and they really loving need new lawyers who can write less wonky contracts

e: like, unironically, what kind of loving idiot makes a game with voice acting and then doesn't get the rights to that voice acting in perpetuity so they can loving re-release the game without re-recording every single line of dialogue

There are a lot of possible explanations here. Without knowing the details of the contracts, Bethesda may well have the rights, but not be able to release the rights to modders, for instance. One factor may be the sheer volume of lines Bethesda recorded may have driven them to a contract setup that was cheaper.