Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vagabundo posted:

Teaching story
Thank you. You might not get to that kid, but every other boy in your class is getting the message loud and clear, and more importantly, so are the girls.

MiddleOne posted:

That happens anyway, it just takes different forms. Countries with school uniforms aren't exactly famous for being exceptions in bullying data.
I went to Catholic school. Absent being able to make fun of others' clothes, we focused on shoes, hair, and cleanliness. And god help you if you ever farted in class or barfed, because you have anywhere from 9 years down in this same room with these same 30 people and they never forget anything and are super incentivized to focus on your embarrassing thing so nobody brings up their embarrassing thing.

School uniforms introduce more problems than they solve and again, there is no garment on Earth that will stop a 12-year-old boy who's interested in girls from finding evidence of boobs, so maybe we should just sit that kid down and explain what's appropriate behavior instead of coming up with increasingly ridiculous ways of protecting them from ever having to learn not to be a dickhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

-Blackadder- posted:

Holy poo poo, this the absolute definition of :perfect: and should be the only way Weinstein is referenced going forward. The image of him looking for a bridge near Hollywood Blvd to lurk under is gold. The guy has the perfect face for it too.

this comes off as a mite anti-semitic.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

R. Guyovich posted:

this comes off as a mite anti-semitic.

Weinstein literally looks like a troll.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

There are absolutely people who are not being taken advantage of and are instead using their sexuality to get ahead which would make those specific cases "consensual." However, just because both parties are consenting and mutually using each other doesn't make it right. It creates an atmosphere where that behaviour is expected which pressures those who are not willing participants to also participate or else they get shut out of work and provides cover for more explicitly abusive situations because of the idea that "that's just how it is." If the atmosphere is such that there's an advantage to using sex to get ahead then people will feel coerced to use sex to get ahead even without an explicit "have sex with me or you won't get the part" condition.

And let's not forget that Weinstein petulantly worked to professionally destroy any woman who wouldn't gently caress him, which Gilliam conveniently ignores.

From the moment this has been unfolding, I've kind of hoped a couple of actresses might come forward who did decide to accomodate Weinstein or some other high-placed lech to further their career, though I suppose there's no gain in doing that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Reminder, if you can’t appreciate great things accomplished by lovely people:

John Lennon beat his kids
MLK Jr. abused his wife
Ghandi was almost certainly a pedophile

The point is not to forgive these people for their crimes, the point is that these people made amazing things happen in our world while also being deeply flawed and human.

Ignoring the brilliant works of Terry Gilliam from 30 years ago because of his bad opinions today doesn’t hurt him at all, just like how not listening to a Beatles record today doesn’t hurt John Lennon at all, it just deprives you of his music.

That said, you can’t separate the art from the artist because it’s their views and personality that shape their art and inform it, so in all likelihood we have their work not in spite of, but because of the way their terrible attitudes shaped their own worldview into something people could resonate with and appreciate.

But no, go ahead, you’re really showing Terry Gilliam who is boss by not watching 12 Monkeys (while posting about it on a computer made with precious metals mined by orphans from Africa). If you want to displace your ethics that badly, well, you can start by moving into the woods and finding a cave to sleep in. Taking your stand against Hollywood and all its injustices against rich Hollywood actors feels great and is way easier to than confronting identical issues of exploitation that might affect you personally, like your clothes and personal electronics all being made by child slaves in sweatshops.

Brazil sucks though, that’s no big loss, but Fear & Loathing owns bones and basically everyone from that movie is a confirmed wife-beating scumbag or generally gross person, it’s still probably my most watched film of all time by a truly hilarious margin.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don’t think a single person itt has suggested boycotting Gilliam or w/e.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

peer posted:

I'd rather miss art from lovely people than support them, thanks

That covers more than 99% of all the art ever made.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

MLK Jr. abused his wife

The point is not to forgive these people for their crimes, the point is that these people made amazing things happen in our world while also being deeply flawed and human.

Ignoring the brilliant works of Terry Gilliam from 30 years ago because of his bad opinions today doesn’t hurt him at all, just like how not listening to a Beatles record today doesn’t hurt John Lennon at all, it just deprives you of his music.

That said, you can’t separate the art from the artist because it’s their views and personality that shape their art and inform it, so in all likelihood we have their work not in spite of, but because of the way their terrible attitudes shaped their own worldview into something people could resonate with and appreciate.

But no, go ahead, you’re really showing Terry Gilliam who is boss by not watching 12 Monkeys (while posting about it on a computer made with precious metals mined by orphans from Africa). If you want to displace your ethics that badly, well, you can start by moving into the woods and finding a cave to sleep in. Taking your stand against Hollywood and all its injustices against rich Hollywood actors feels great and is way easier to than confronting identical issues of exploitation that might affect you personally, like your clothes and personal electronics all being made by child slaves in sweatshops.

Brazil sucks though, that’s no big loss, but Fear & Loathing owns bones and basically everyone from that movie is a confirmed wife-beating scumbag or generally gross person, it’s still probably my most watched film of all time by a truly hilarious margin.

Allowing that this may be addressed in the latter half of htis post that i shall not read because I find ur avatar extremely unpleasant my advice for u is
- cite ur sources - there's no reason 2 use "abused" in place of "cheated on" - nobody cares about John Lennon - clean up ur act!!

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Charlz Guybon posted:

That covers more than 99% of all the art ever made.

Sure, but might as well start with A) people who are alive and B) people who out themselves as lovely

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

If you never pay money to see another Gilliam film forever then that’s fine sure, everybody has their own little ethical choices and in some microscopic way I suppose it influences public perception of a product. But ultimately none of those personal decisions will be more impactful or effective than systemic change within the industry where Gilliam’s views are eventually no longer tolerated. You can live those values in your own life, but that only gets you so far, and reduces the issue down to consumption of a product rather than the broader issue that shields men like Gilliam from criticism.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hat Thoughts posted:

nobody cares about John Lennon

well this is a take roughly as hot as the surface of the sun

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Hat Thoughts posted:

Allowing that this may be addressed in the latter half of htis post that i shall not read because I find ur avatar extremely unpleasant my advice for u is
- cite ur sources - there's no reason 2 use "abused" in place of "cheated on" - nobody cares about John Lennon - clean up ur act!!

Yeah cheating on your wife isn’t abusing them you’re right (rolls eyes so hard they pop out so skull)... lol amazing and actually if you read this thread then yes someone did say they were not going to watch his films.

Really the mental gymnastics of “MLK cheating on his wife isn’t abuse but your avatar upsets me!” is like insanely impressive, do you live in a soap bubble or a glass house? “I can’t even finish reading your post me before I must dive in to defend Misogyny because your racist avatar offends me”

Also more people care about John Lennon that Terry Gilliam.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 19, 2018

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah cheating on your wife isn’t abusing them you’re right (rolls eyes so hard they pop out so skull)... lol amazing and actually if you read this thread then yes someone did say they were not going to watch his films.

Really the mental gymnastics of “MLK cheating on his wife isn’t abuse but your avatar upsets me!” is like insanely impressive, do you live in a soap bubble or a glass house?

U should be clear in ur language use Bust Rodd

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Eye shud use cleerur langwaje ok bud

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Eye shud use cleerur langwaje ok bud

Hmm well I'll try 2 explain clearly - altho my prejudice towards le epic racist Vrchat meme avatar may be blinding me I don't like the vagueness of using "abuse" 2 condemn someone when "cheated" is significantly more accurate. Although, benefit of the doubt, maybe ur just not savvy enough to realize the various loaded connotations that 'abuse" has in this context even w/o u sandwiching MLK between John Lennon beating children & Ghandi (potentially) being a pedophile [which is why I said "cite your sources" not w/e movie watching thing that I literally did not read in your post because...]
Anyways, I'm sorry nobody cares about John Lennon anymore.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Bust Rodd posted:

MLK Jr. abused his wife

ugandan knuckles avatar

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Bust Rodd posted:

Really the mental gymnastics of “MLK cheating on his wife isn’t abuse but your avatar upsets me!” is like insanely impressive, do you live in a soap bubble or a glass house? “I can’t even finish reading your post me before I must dive in to defend Misogyny because your racist avatar offends me”

I agreed with like 90% of your original post but you prob could have used cheated on instead of abused. It's def a form of abuse but people usually go to physical abuse first when the word's used alone imo.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
David Bowie hosed underage (consenting?) girls

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, along w every other rock star from the past 50 years.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I named my cat Bowie, and have no regrets.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

starkebn posted:

David Bowie hosed underage (consenting?) girls
14 year old women cant consent

Origami Dali posted:

Yeah, along w every other rock star from the past 50 years.
agreed...eliminate the rockists

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Harvey is well and truly hosed now

quote:

The Weinstein Company has dissolved its nondisclosure agreements with Harvey Weinstein’s many sexual misconduct accusers, Bob Weinstein said on Monday,

In step with announcing its bankruptcy filing, the TWC chairman said his brother “Harvey Weinstein used non-disclosure agreements as a secret weapon to silence his accusers. Effective immediately, those ‘agreements’ end.”

Bob Weinstein said the Company “expressly releases any confidentiality provision to the extent it has prevented individuals who suffered or witnessed any form of sexual misconduct by Harvey Weinstein from telling their stories. No one should be afraid to speak out or coerced to stay quiet.”

It’s not immediately clear what impact the newfound freedom for accusers means for ongoing civil and criminal Weinstein cases, including police investigations in three cities and a class action against the disgraced mogul.

Only days after two exposes detailing Weinstein’s accused misconduct hit last October, his staffers penned an open letter in The New Yorker pleading to be released from the NDAs that came standard with their employment agreements.

His accusers like Rose McGowan, who said Weinstein raped her at the Sundance Film Festival in 1997, has referenced an NDA she entered into with Weinstein numerous times as prohibitive to proving her account. Weinstein denies all accounts of nonconsensual sex against him.

New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, who sued the TWC board and effectively blocked a $500 million sale, praised the company’s move as a “watershed moment.”

“The Weinstein Company’s agreement to release victims of and witnesses to sexual misconduct from non-disclosure agreements — which my office has sought throughout this investigation and litigation — will finally enable voices that have for too long been muzzled to be heard,” Schneiderman said.

From the TWC Board:

Today, the Company also takes an important step toward justice for any victims who have been silenced by Harvey Weinstein. Since October, it has been reported that Harvey Weinstein used non-disclosure agreements as a secret weapon to silence his accusers. Effective immediately, those “agreements” end. The Company expressly releases any confidentiality provision to the extent it has prevented individuals who suffered or witnessed any form of sexual misconduct by Harvey Weinstein from telling their stories. No one should be afraid to speak out or coerced to stay quiet. The Company thanks the courageous individuals who have already come forward. Your voices have inspired a movement for change across the country and around the world.

Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman:

“This is a watershed moment for efforts to address the corrosive effects of sexual misconduct in the workplace. The Weinstein Company’s agreement to release victims of and witnesses to sexual misconduct from non-disclosure agreements — which my office has sought throughout this investigation and litigation — will finally enable voices that have for too long been muzzled to be heard.

My office will continue to fight for victims’ best interests throughout the bankruptcy proceedings, and engage with all parties, including The Weinstein Company and Lantern, in an ongoing effort to advance the principles we set forward when we filed our complaint: ensuring that victims are compensated, employees are protected moving forward, and perpetrators and enablers of abuse are not unjustly enriched. We welcome the parties’ efforts to preserve jobs and pursue justice for victims.

Our lawsuit against The Weinstein Company, Bob Weinstein, and Harvey Weinstein remains active and our investigation is ongoing.”

Has he been sighted? He's probably fled the country at this point.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Isn't Bob Weinstein a huge pile of garbage too? Where the gently caress does he get off acting like he's better?

e: also, is this pretty much going to be TWC's last act as a company? the whole point of blocking the sale was to make sure they couldn't continue and had to die with Weinstein's career, from what I understood.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 20, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: also, is this pretty much going to be TWC's last act as a company?

More or less, yes. A Texas hedge fund has put in a bid to assume TWC's assets and liabilities, but the bankruptcy filing will effectively wipe out both Weinsteins financially and the company itself will no longer exist in any meaningful form.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

A Texas hedge fund has put in a bid to assume TWC's assets

...god drat it, let's hope for an IP fire sale or there's a lot of movies that are probably gonna go out of print and never be seen again. hedge funds and insurance companies are the literal worst possible places for media rights to end up.

e: this hedge fund is going to have the rights to the last 3 Tarantino movies plus Grindhouse, The King's Speech, the Halloween remakes, Rambo 4, Coriolanus, The Fighter, Blue Valentine, Fruitvale Station, and pretty much the entire Dimension Films library (meaning the bulk of well-known 90s and 2000s horror). there's legitimately a pretty large chunk of recent film history that is just going to vanish into loving smoke if this hedge fund decides to sit on the library instead of selling it.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 20, 2018

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Rhyno posted:

isn't he in some kind of clinic or something

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Rhyno posted:

He’s shown up in LA attending private dinners in silly looking wigs. Got punched at one of them if I remember.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...god drat it, let's hope for an IP fire sale or there's a lot of movies that are probably gonna go out of print and never be seen again. hedge funds and insurance companies are the literal worst possible places for media rights to end up.

e: this hedge fund is going to have the rights to the last 3 Tarantino movies plus Grindhouse, The King's Speech, the Halloween remakes, Rambo 4, Coriolanus, The Fighter, Blue Valentine, Fruitvale Station, and pretty much the entire Dimension Films library (meaning the bulk of well-known 90s and 2000s horror). there's legitimately a pretty large chunk of recent film history that is just going to vanish into loving smoke if this hedge fund decides to sit on the library instead of selling it.

I very seriously doubt that this is going to happen (fuckin' lol at the idea that a bunch of extreme capitalists aren't going to cash in on all of the properties they have, let alone the biggest ones) but I honestly hope it does. It'll teach a future generation of Hollywood executives that sexual abuse is simply not a thing you do.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

21 Muns posted:

I very seriously doubt that this is going to happen (fuckin' lol at the idea that a bunch of extreme capitalists aren't going to cash in on all of the properties they have, let alone the biggest ones)

this has happened in video games several times before, and it's taken hilarious amounts of effort to pull the affected titles out of legal hell. System Shock 2 was out of print and couldn't be reprinted for like 20 years until Night Dive Studios went out of their way to try and untangle the rights, and Night Dive was (to my understanding) specifically formed for the purpose of doing that because there hadn't even been any interest prior. the No One Lives Forever games are in a similar clusterfuck, as is Blood, and even Night Dive has pretty much straight up said those games are never happening because none of the rights holders want to play ball (despite Night Dive being wizards at making rights holders play ball with each other).

e: like, that's specifically why I'm going "oh gently caress" at the fact that it's a hedge fund buying them out and not another studio, because hedge funds have a known history of being massive loving douchebags with media rights.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 20, 2018

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Fart City posted:

He’s shown up in LA attending private dinners in silly looking wigs. Got punched at one of them if I remember.

Lol

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I dont understand how someone like that can live with themselves

Antisam
Jun 18, 2005

Witness the reverie of a mind filtered through tube...
Fun Shoe
Hedge funds are all fundamentally corrupt rent-seekers who deserve our scorn, but a library of well-known films is a lucrative asset that can be easily exploited for profit in this day and age, and that's literally what hedge funds exist to do. When a hedge fund invests in real estate, they don't turn it into a nature preserve. The way to make money on a big content library in 2018 is by licensing it out to streaming providers, for which there's currently a lot of money on the table. If the sale goes through, I'd expect to see a press release touting their new exclusive home on Hulu/Amazon Prime/Crackle/etc.

The nightmare scenario isn't that TWC's movies go away forever, but that as we speak, someone's drafting up a pitch for Silver Linings Playbook: A Netflix Original Series.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What all do TWC own at this point? Any big carryovers from their Miramax days?

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

TWC owns (owned?) the distribution rights to a ton of classic and modern Asian cinema (including a lot of the Shaw Brothers backlog).

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

zandert33 posted:

TWC owns (owned?) the distribution rights to a ton of classic and modern Asian cinema (including a lot of the Shaw Brothers backlog).

poo poo, that's right. They also kept the rights to everything under the Dimension Films label.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Isn't Bob Weinstein a huge pile of garbage too? Where the gently caress does he get off acting like he's better?

e: also, is this pretty much going to be TWC's last act as a company? the whole point of blocking the sale was to make sure they couldn't continue and had to die with Weinstein's career, from what I understood.

Scott Derrikson, who has met both Weinsteins, tweeted a while ago that Bob Weinstein is the worst person he's ever known. Bob is just completely distancing himself from his brother to move the attention off him. Both were notorious pieces of poo poo, but so far it appears that Harvey was a bigger one. No doubt Bob has a group of well-paid people behind him making sure that he does and says the right things at all times right now.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DrVenkman posted:

There's a difference between a person being taken advantage of and a person deciding to use their body to get what they want as well though.

not much of one.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

If you never pay money to see another Gilliam film forever then that’s fine sure, everybody has their own little ethical choices and in some microscopic way I suppose it influences public perception of a product. But ultimately none of those personal decisions will be more impactful or effective than systemic change within the industry where Gilliam’s views are eventually no longer tolerated. You can live those values in your own life, but that only gets you so far, and reduces the issue down to consumption of a product rather than the broader issue that shields men like Gilliam from criticism.
The problem with your logic and the whole "judge the art; not the artist" philosophy is that it assumes a limit on creative genius or a surplus of a time for the audience. I think both assumptions are wrong.

As audience members, we have a limit of just how much art we engage with because of sex, food, family, and our own passions taking up our time. When I choose to watch a Gilliam movie, I'm prioritizing his work over someone else's. Just like when he receives financing or distribution, it's because someone is prioritizing him over someone else. And that's fine to some degree if Gilliam is the only person who can give us important or beautiful films, but that's probably not true. The reason I haven't wanted to watch The Disaster Artist or Wonder Wheel isn't out of some vindictive sense of revenge. It's out of a sense that men like Gilliam, Allen, and Franco are taking up a seat at the table that could belong to someone who is talented and also not a piece of poo poo.

Choosing to not engage in Gilliam's work frees you to pursue other people you may not have given a chance. And while you may not be an individual kingmaker, I think it's fair to say that there is a collective effect when we all decided to look elsewhere. And I think it's fair to say that when the people who finance Gilliam or distribute his work take a similar stance, they are providing meaningful space for new voices to rise up.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 21, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think you've uh, totally misunderstood what I've said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the mental image of weinstein showing up to hollywood party as guy incognito is very, very funny to me

not as funny as weinstein rotting in jail forever though