Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Who knows if it is real or not, but Jake the Snake tells a hilarious story about being made a ref and having a nervous conversation on the ride to the show with another wrestler about what he should do if the heel gets pinned, he makes the count, and then they get angry at him for it? The other wrestler was completely confused, then it dawned on him and he said,"Kid... you know this is fake, right?"

Even funnier considering Jake's dad was Grizzly Smith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can believe that a wrestler didn't know wrestling was a work if they grew up watching, like, Thesz and Carpentier.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

I can believe that a wrestler didn't know wrestling was a work if they grew up watching, like, Thesz and Carpentier.

Carpentier was responsible for popularizing less realistic, more aerial and gymnastics based moves like the headscissors. He was not a realistic style wrestler.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was gonna say Dick Shikat and it felt too nerdy, yeesh.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
A lot of wrestlers seem to claim they didn't know it was a work when they started training. Probably a lingering obligation they feel to protect the business (even though these accounts are usually given in the context of a shoot interview).

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Do they teach basic amateur wrestling at the Performance Center? I've never seen anybody talk about anything like that, which is odd, considering that a good amount of professional wrestling is developed off of real wrestling.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Low Desert Punk posted:

Do they teach basic amateur wrestling at the Performance Center? I've never seen anybody talk about anything like that, which is odd, considering that a good amount of professional wrestling is developed off of real wrestling.

Look at their trainees, yeeesh

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

By Jake's account Grizzly never told any of them wrestling was fake and all the kids grew up traumatized at dad coming home with gruesome kayfabe injuries, so yeah

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeathChicken posted:

By Jake's account Grizzly never told any of them wrestling was fake and all the kids grew up traumatized at dad coming home with gruesome kayfabe injuries, so yeah

And that wouldn't even make the top 20 ways he was just terrible.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Minidust posted:

A lot of wrestlers seem to claim they didn't know it was a work when they started training. Probably a lingering obligation they feel to protect the business (even though these accounts are usually given in the context of a shoot interview).

This is exactly it.

At the height of the Carolinas one of the newspapers in the area did a poll on whether or not fans thought wrestling was real. 97% responded it was fake. People were leery of works in the 1850s and 60s and knew drat well it was fake in the 20s and 30s.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MassRafTer posted:

This is exactly it.

At the height of the Carolinas one of the newspapers in the area did a poll on whether or not fans thought wrestling was real. 97% responded it was fake. People were leery of works in the 1850s and 60s and knew drat well it was fake in the 20s and 30s.

The best part was Ole Anderson predicted like 99 percent would say it was real.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

This is exactly it.

Were the remaining 3% the ones who actually went to shows?
Because sometimes those crowds did not act like people who know they're watching an act.

(I feel like at least a fair portion of that 97% was uncertain but was unwilling to look stupid by admitting they thought wrestling could be real so they just answered in the negative)
"Ha Ha, that garbage...of course it...isn't real"

DeathChicken posted:

Reminds me of that story Foley told in one of his books about trying to learn a punch from Terry Funk.

Terry: Show me how you punch.

Mick: *Stomps the mat and punches* That right?

Terry: *punches Mick right in the face* No, closer to that

Mick trained with Domenic DeNucci and wouldn't meet Funk until several years in his career.
Mick said he wondered how Funk was able to throw such believable punches.
Until he wrestled Funk and realized that the reason Funk's punches look so real is because Funk just straight-up punched people as hard as he could.
(Which I have trouble believing, you repeatedly punch somebody in their unguarded head enough times they're probably not getting up afterwards)

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 19, 2018

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Drunk and enthusiastic is a wonderful combination.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

This is exactly it.

In a weird way, I almost admire how sociopathic and insane all those older wrestlers were to go so far trying to be real.

It's kinda why I much prefer shoot interviews from older wrestlers; they are most likely full of it but they are so entertaining while being full of it. Many modern shoot interviews with modern guys just don't have the same "this is a trainwreck" feel to them. (Though my all time favorite shoot interview is Danny Doring's RF shoot....his complete hatred of Paul Heyman is so drat funny.)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

This is exactly it.

Do you buy Jake's story though? I mean, Grizzly is enough of an rear end in a top hat to keep his family in the dark from everything I've heard about the guy, but it almost seems too much.

The one about Grizzly not smartening up his family, I mean. Not the ref story, that's nonsense.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Do you buy Jake's story though? I mean, Grizzly is enough of an rear end in a top hat to keep his family in the dark from everything I've heard about the guy, but it almost seems too much.

The one about Grizzly not smartening up his family, I mean. Not the ref story, that's nonsense.

Nah, there's a lot of stories about wrestlers not smartening up their families. Terry said Dory, Sr. didn't smarten him and Dory Jr until real late.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I believe his sister Robin backed that up. Anyway, he doesn't say his father kept them in the dark until Jake started training or anything.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Shiki Dan posted:

In his first book, Chris Jericho actually claims he wasn't smartened up until literally after he began training at the Hart Brothers school.

The Jericho story felt a little believable to me because it's kind of like a fourth grader being told Santa Claus isn't real. Yeah, he knows enough to know that has to be the case, but there's still a little bit of a sting after being told outright.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

The Original Sheik also used to protect the business around his kids and I really hope that doesn't mean he'd start randomly lighting touch paper and throwing fireballs at them for not doing the dishes or something.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ChrisBTY posted:

Mick trained with Domenic DeNucci and wouldn't meet Funk until several years in his career.
Until he wrestled Funk and realized that the reason Funk's punches look so real is because Funk just straight-up punched people as hard as he could.
(Which I have trouble believing, you repeatedly punch somebody in their unguarded head enough times they're probably not getting up afterwards)

I belive the line in the book is something about it being his first time working with funk, and being excited about learning the secret of how Funk could through such convincing looking working punches. Then he gets in the ring and WHAM funk punches him full in the face. Backstage afterwards Mick says something to funk like "you were really hitting me out there!" and funk looks at him and says "Aw shucks son... All this time you just thought I was really good?"

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

fart blood posted:

It's kinda why I much prefer shoot interviews from older wrestlers; they are most likely full of it but they are so entertaining while being full of it. Many modern shoot interviews with modern guys just don't have the same "this is a trainwreck" feel to them. (Though my all time favorite shoot interview is Danny Doring's RF shoot....his complete hatred of Paul Heyman is so drat funny.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLw4rLFoPJE

Except I fully believe anything and everything said about Lou Albano.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I envy all of you for never having met an adult who thinks wrestling is real.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
I’ve met plenty of adults who are keen to inform me that wrestling isn’t real

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Brock Lesnar doing shoot elbows on Randy Orton was real

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Look, all that other stuff is fake. But this. This is real.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

American Wrestling may be fake but the Japanese Wrestling is real as real can be according to Tiger Mask W!

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Pro Wrestling is fake but so is Breaking Bad and Stranger Things so...

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they're all real. It costs a l ot of real money for the real productions. The only fake thing around here is free will. Enjoy your destiny

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

More importantly.
Are there any India-born wrestlers on the planet that are any good, at all?
Heck, how many India-born wrestlers are there period?
Because the only ones I know of are Khali and Shera.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

More importantly.
Are there any India-born wrestlers on the planet that are any good, at all?
Heck, how many India-born wrestlers are there period?
Because the only ones I know of are Khali and Shera.

Sonjay Dutt and Gama Singh are/were pretty good.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Sonjay Dutt and Gama Singh are/were pretty good.

Dutt was born in D.C.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Alaois posted:

Dutt was born in D.C.

poo poo didn't see India-born.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

American Wrestling may be fake but the Japanese Wrestling is real as real can be according to Tiger Mask W!

Wait a minute, Tiger Mask W.... looks a lot like... Kota Ibushi!?!

I bet they're brothers or something!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I know wrestling reddit is Pretty Bad, but I just read this post and watched this video and it was the first time that I really understood why people loving LOVED Daniel Bryan.

I started watching wrestling again after Bryan's last match and I kinda got it while watching his retirement speech, but all the clips or whatever of him doing dropkick spots didn't seem much more impressive than, say, a Cesaro match.

But goddamn, the passion and lunatic abandon here is incredible. I haven't been invested watching someone in a ring like that since I was watching Austin wrestle nearly 20 years ago as a kid. Holy poo poo.

Are there any Daniel Bryan stories/clips like this (maybe not injury-related) where his passion shines through so clearly?

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
Haystacks Calhoun was actually born in India during the British Raj

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

Were the remaining 3% the ones who actually went to shows?
Because sometimes those crowds did not act like people who know they're watching an act.

(I feel like at least a fair portion of that 97% was uncertain but was unwilling to look stupid by admitting they thought wrestling could be real so they just answered in the negative)
"Ha Ha, that garbage...of course it...isn't real"

What's more likely:

- You think wrestling is real

- You think it's fun to get really drunk and throw poo poo at people

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

surf rock posted:

I know wrestling reddit is Pretty Bad, but I just read this post and watched this video and it was the first time that I really understood why people loving LOVED Daniel Bryan.

I started watching wrestling again after Bryan's last match and I kinda got it while watching his retirement speech, but all the clips or whatever of him doing dropkick spots didn't seem much more impressive than, say, a Cesaro match.

But goddamn, the passion and lunatic abandon here is incredible. I haven't been invested watching someone in a ring like that since I was watching Austin wrestle nearly 20 years ago as a kid. Holy poo poo.

Are there any Daniel Bryan stories/clips like this (maybe not injury-related) where his passion shines through so clearly?

Honestly I think most of Bryan's stuff promo-wise in WWE is terrible and I think his reputation with an audience that is skewing older and older and getting smarter and smarter carried him a long way (to the best Mania in a really long while, that long of a way).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah Bryan is a loving terrible speaker.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Bryan was a very good talker

Like early on in his WWE run I get he was stilted but from the time he turned heel he ruled, he managed to really show passion in a way a lot of guys can't under WWE circumstances

Jackie D fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

surf rock posted:

This is injury related, but he once fractured an orbital bone about 3-4 minutes into a match with a 300 lb potato factory named Takeshi Morishima in Ring of Honor and wrestled for another 20 something minutes. It's a great match, too. Meltzer gave it just short of 5 stars and honestly, I think Dave hosed up.

Another clip to watch to marvel at his connection with the crowd is this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttiGTC5B2gg

WWE seemingly tried really loving hard to ignore/kill his connection with the crowd, they even tried to transfer the "YES!" thing to the Big Show. There used to be a clip of John Cena and I wanna say Orton lying face down in a ring after being jumped by the Nexus for the 2nd time after a PPV main event. Bryan had been fired for real because a sponsor complained that, during the 1st beatdown, he used a necktie to choke out a ring announcer (in that sponsor's defence, it's a really visceral, uncomfortable moment) which was a big no no then (and probably still is). They're not chanting for Cena or Orton after the beating, though.

They're chanting for Daniel Bryan. Because a lot of the crowd knows he got a raw deal (the Nexus were told to be vicious and violent during the beatdown, and they delivered), they want him back because he was the most interesting part of the group, and they won't be silenced.

So they hired him back (which they were probably gonna do anyways), and he gradually gets more over as an underdog face, and wins the US title off his NXT mentor the Miz (pretty good match, one of Miz's best) and the MITB briefcase in short order. He cashes in on his friend the Big Show (after Show talked him out of waiting for Wrestlemania). He gradually starts doing the YES thing more and starts an on screen thing with AJ, becoming borderline abusive (even using her as a shield against the Big Show). He makes it all the way to WM as World Heavyweight Champion, losing to Sheamus in 8 seconds.

It gets him more over, some have said to the annoyance of WWE braintrust. He has a thrown together team with Kane, they get massively over and have fun segments. Here's the segment where Cena names Bryan as his #1 contender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnWtek7k7hM

He wins the title at Summerslam from Cena, and gets cashed in on after special ref HHH turns on him. WWE wants Orton vs Batista at WM, and that's final.
The crowd begs to differ, though. I think this segment sealed the deal. It's near his hometown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsESZMBJhXw

Dude has an indomitable spirit (he's also clearly ebullient at the crowd love, seriously, look at that poo poo eating grin). And the crowd latches on to WWE starting to waver. So they have him beat HHH at WM to earn a title shot, and then he makes Batista tap at WM. Even former Bryan hater (at least on air, anyways) Cole is cheering him on.

And it happens. He wins the titles. I believe quite a few folks lost a Toxx over it. But I think some of them were very very happy about being wrong. Up until that tap out, the cynicism that followed their treatment of him made them doubt would happen, but it did. It's a loving shame we never got a long run for him.

I've left stuff out, but hopefully you get the gist. Daniel Bryan is straight up one of the greatest of all time. Great technician, great brawler, even a capable flier. Strong promo at times, strong character work, the man pisses excellence.

He also once chased down a burglar on foot and choked him out. While rehabbing an injury.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 20, 2018