Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

javascript has lots of jobs and i am willing to deal with javascript in exchange for being able to eat and have a roof over my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

javascript has lots of jobs and i am willing to deal with javascript in exchange for being able to eat and have a roof over my head

Actual quote from a guy who was found dead six months later from substance abuse

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

qhat posted:

Actual quote from a guy who was found dead six months later from substance abuse

poo poo, this explains the whiskey and brandy

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
they call it a job because they have to pay you to do it

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

:aaa:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

kloa posted:

are you guys using typescript when you code in js? trying to find a way to not hate js in the future if I ever need to touch it again.

(im gonna have to touch js again aren’t i :()
D humaniz

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

typescript makes it feel almost possible to have javascript be ok

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77Y6CIyyBcI&t=5s

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
A friend shared this video with me and "That's what the money is for" has become a regular response to "well, X is a good idea but obviously so-and-so won't want to do it" at my workplace since then.

What I'm trying to ask is should I watch the rest of Mad Men or is being aware of this exchange enough

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

TimWinter posted:

A friend shared this video with me and "That's what the money is for" has become a regular response to "well, X is a good idea but obviously so-and-so won't want to do it" at my workplace since then.

What I'm trying to ask is should I watch the rest of Mad Men or is being aware of this exchange enough

Season 1 was good but I was mainly into it for the setting

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

TimWinter posted:

mad men repeatedly teases the viewer that its characters will learn something or develop but they never do

it's just a bunch of cool 1960s interior design and costume set pieces populated by sad, empty, terrible people you want to strangle

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

mad men repeatedly teases the viewer that its characters will learn something or develop but they never do

it's just a bunch of cool 1960s interior design and costume set pieces populated by sad, empty, terrible people you want to strangle

so it's yopos?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

TerminalRaptor posted:

so it's yopos?

no they're too good-looking for yospos/soyboy

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

sopsoy

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

More like diaper growth

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

so what does “we are growing quickly” truly mean and how come companies like to overextend themselves so much?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Pollyanna posted:

so what does “we are growing quickly” truly mean and how come companies like to overextend themselves so much?

gently caress making good products or services. ROI for the investors bithccccc

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have this theory that there is much less of a need for engineers than ppl + companies think

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

It's an excuse for why the starting salary is poo poo, pay raises are frozen, benefits are bad, and workload is high. Just think of how good everything will get when the company is on solid ground! Just kidding, now we need to streamline and you aren't needed anymore.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pollyanna posted:

"we are unprofitable"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pollyanna posted:

I have this theory that there is much less of a need for engineers than ppl + companies think

software has a very low cost of goods sold (COGS), which makes it appealing as an asset to own or sell to others

development is not part of the COGS. it's an r&d expense. software development is extremely expensive and extremely risky and often fails entirely.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

they're increasing profits by not giving their employees a good quality of life. they overextend because it suckers in people who don't have a wealth of knowledge of technology corporate doublespeak to ask like the 'pos

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

im so glad the company i'm starting at tomorrow has been profitable for most of its life. hope that makes it less likely that i'll get loving owned

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

the fact that the companies that are hiring the most are also the ones offering the shittiest opportunities does not fill me with confidence in the industry

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

software has a very low cost of goods sold (COGS), which makes it appealing as an asset to own or sell to others

development is not part of the COGS. it's an r&d expense. software development is extremely expensive and extremely risky and often fails entirely.

i just kinda get the sense that the "everyone needs engineers there are so many positions and so few people to fill them!!!" line everyone's spewing is exaggerated

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

the fact that the companies that are hiring the most are also the ones offering the shittiest opportunities does not fill me with confidence in the industry
er, some of the companies that are offering the best opportunities are also always hiring, so Im not sure I get your point

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

er, some of the companies that are offering the best opportunities are also always hiring, so Im not sure I get your point

keep in mind that im an idiot so i am definitely missing something

but yeah im used to recruiters reaching out and stuff so im still very very oblivious

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pollyanna posted:

"everyone needs engineers there are so many positions and so few people to fill them!!!*"

* for the 20% under market rate that we're willing to pay

theyd rather have requisitions open for a year than pay someone what theyre worth

im not sure that this is true for engineers, but its def true for programmers from what ive seen (i am not a programmer so grain of salt)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If you can't find the right person for the job, you're not paying enough. Plain and simple.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

quote:

Our client base is both stable and diverse and to keep things exciting we put 20% of our resources into potentially lucrative but risky startup opportunities. If your vision doesn’t include retirement before age 65 then this job is not for you!

like, what does this even mean? instead of paying people more they invest money into startups that keep failing?

edit: i think i reading this wrong the first time but it still sounds silly

Shaman Linavi fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 19, 2018

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

feel totally not ready for an interview tomorrow, also i'm up way too late right now

lol

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
the trick to interviewing is to arrive so tired you don’t have the energy for self doubt

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

the trick to interviewing is to arrive so tired you don’t have the energy for self doubt

Can confirm this is a winning strategy.

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching
welp, tomorrow is my last day at this company after 12 years.

I hope to never touch MUMPS code ever again

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
the mumps curse is forever

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

when doing this at a google interview I couldn’t do simple arithmetic by the end of the 2nd person’s questions

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I have no idea how my interview went. Everyone there was sleepy.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Poniard posted:

I have no idea how my interview went. Everyone there was sleepy.

mine went well, they want me for a second interview this week, but couldn’t be bothered to plan it

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

what's a good bs answer for "what does your dream job look like?", all my dreams are long dead

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

HoboMan posted:

what's a good bs answer for "what does your dream job look like?", all my dreams are long dead

you give me all the money, and i do whatever i want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

HoboMan posted:

hope they're a bunch of dorks and recognize this https://xkcd.com/1346/