Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The Decemberists have been going downhill for quite some time now.

I'm seeing them next month and I'll basically go to the bathroom/get a beer when they play this lovely new stuff I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
So they suck now and that dudes annoying voice is still the centerpiece? no thanks.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I have also been enjoying the new Young Fathers album.

This has been a fun thread to read, and I now have one thousand new albums in that one playlist.

Is anyone going to the Alvvays show in Chicago next Friday? I missed the one at Thalia in...November? Something

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
New Courtney Barnett single out today - Need A Little Time. Really digging it and looking forward to her new album.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Nail Rat posted:

The Decemberists have been going downhill for quite some time now.

I'm seeing them next month and I'll basically go to the bathroom/get a beer when they play this lovely new stuff I guess.

Show I went to had them play Hazards of Love in its entirety and, maybe...5-6 songs from albums before that one? If it's any indicator, the new stuff is the majority of their shows these days.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I didn't expect much from the Decemberists album after the 2 singles, but listening to it today, I ain't mad at it. It's not all "we have synths now", there are a lot of different styles thrown in there. Somehow the overall effect feels more "Decemberisty" than the previous album. Feels like they're having fun and there are definitely some solid melodies in there. I'll probably give it at least a few more listens and see how that goes.

I particularly dug "Cutting Stone", even though that's one of the biggest "we have synths now" songs on there.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 16, 2018

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
this new decemberists record sounds like colin meloy wrote an entire album after dropping way too much acid on election night

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mr. Glass posted:

this new decemberists record sounds like colin meloy wrote an entire album after dropping way too much acid on election night

I do not disagree with this.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Naked and Famous have put out a stripped down album full of old songs, and it's quite amazing: https://open.spotify.com/album/0iYLVsbY87N1qrOgnyK2Rs?si=l2uVsQXUSN6qdF4S-Blq-Q

e: They did an incredible cover of Massive Attack - Teardrop on this album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBDnNTxtWZQ

Yeah the acoustic stuff is super good. They said an actual new album is well underway, I'm curious how it will sound with half the original band leaving recently.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I saw the Titus Andronicus "acoustic tour" last night (really it's clean electric and a piano). It was an interesting changeup from the usual Titus show but I wasn't totally feeling it until he busted out Theme From "Cheers", which is one of my favorite tracks from The Monitor and was not in any setlist I've seen before. Then he played the actual Cheers theme, walked to the bar with a microphone and got a beer while singing Lilac Wine and a Tom Waits cover.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Has anyone else listened to this band called "Dizzy"?

They have grand total of two goddamn songs on Spotify, and naturally, are impossible to Google.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K6WKkUIJSw
I'm obsessed with this song.

Also gently caress you guys because I really like the song Crimewave and now I'm conflicted.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Show I went to had them play Hazards of Love in its entirety and, maybe...5-6 songs from albums before that one? If it's any indicator, the new stuff is the majority of their shows these days.

Was that on the Hazards of Love tour? Because that was pretty much their setlist for that tour because it was a concept album.

I most recently saw them in 2015 and the setlist wasn't overly heavy on the new album from that year. Hazards of Love and The King is Dead at least had some good songs. https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-decemberists/2015/chicago-theatre-chicago-il-1bcb7d30.html

edit: well I guess it still was like nearly half songs from that newest album, I'd somehow blocked that out. gently caress.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 16, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wait, did people hate the last Decemberists album? We're talking about What a Terrible World, What a Beautiful World, right? I really liked that one.

Then again I also liked The King Is Dead and The Hazards of Love on the whole so it could be that I'm just the world's wrongest Decemberists listener.

I'm just starting to listen to the new album now. I like Severed well enough but we'll see about the rest

content
Feb 13, 2014

Harrow posted:

Wait, did people hate the last Decemberists album? We're talking about What a Terrible World, What a Beautiful World, right? I really liked that one.

I thought the last one started out with a lot of promise, but just felt like King B-sides after the fifth song. Also, I couldn't stand King is Dead, so :shrug:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oh so they're just straight-up singing "everything is awful" in that song huh

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

another new Twin Shadow single, this one has a nice Tom Petty tribute but other than that kind of boring imo

too bad, Little Woman had a lot of promise, hope there are more like that on the new record

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3eARSWYdf8

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
There's also a new Sunflower Bean song that came out today.

Probably today.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Nail Rat posted:

Was that on the Hazards of Love tour? Because that was pretty much their setlist for that tour because it was a concept album.

It was last year.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

angrygodofjebus posted:

Two of the original members of The Naked and Famous left the band which is kind of a bummer since I loved Simple Forms. It's basically down to Alisa and Thom now.

Punching in a Dream is literally the only good song they ever made.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cyril Sneer posted:

Punching in a Dream is literally the only good song they ever made.

Oh my god I'll fight you over this. No Way is my favourite song of theirs, but they have a ton of other good ones! Also they put on a fantastic live show too

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Harrow posted:

Then again I also liked The King Is Dead and The Hazards of Love on the whole so it could be that I'm just the world's wrongest Decemberists listener.

I'm just starting to listen to the new album now. I like Severed well enough but we'll see about the rest

Terrible World, Beautiful World is almost my favourite Decemberists album - beautifully produced with some gorgeous songs. There's really not any Decemberists albums that I dislike ... but this one is certainly taking some listening to. There are things I like, but a lot of it is miss. But at the same time, they're probably well aware they're sacrificing their ability to produce their best work in order to try some different things so I can roll with it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Harrow posted:

One the whole I don't love What A Terrible World... as an album but "Make You Better" is one of my favorite songs ever so it makes that entire album worth it.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I've seen Michigander's name floating around locally for at least a year now and never looked into them. I am regretting that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7UeXoi1NSM

E>> This is rare for me, I am like exclusively into front women singers.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 19, 2018

kingcardigan
Jun 28, 2015

captainOrbital posted:

There's also a new Sunflower Bean song that came out today.

Probably today.

I saw them live a couple years ago and now I'm sad because they're studio stuff is really boring in comparison

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I was SUPPOSED to have seen Sunflower Bean open for Sleigh Bells at the Metro just recently, but both Alexis and Derek got the flu. :(

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
Do any of you know of any current indie rock bands with a similar sound to something like ELP, King Crimson, or Yes?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Beelerzebub posted:

Do any of you know of any current indie rock bands with a similar sound to something like ELP, King Crimson, or Yes?

...you mean prog rock bands?

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Henchman of Santa posted:

...you mean prog rock bands?

Precisely.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Then no, unless you're using indie specifically to mean on an independent label.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Bloc Party is going to do a tour playing their first album but not with the original lineup. I’m sure the new members are fully capable of playing the album but it’s a bit weird and comes across to me as an admittance of the new stuff not being as good :shrug:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dugong posted:

Bloc Party is going to do a tour playing their first album but not with the original lineup. I’m sure the new members are fully capable of playing the album but it’s a bit weird and comes across to me as an admittance of the new stuff not being as good :shrug:
Silent Alarm is literally a perfect album and everything they did after wasn't anywhere near as good. They really should've just broken up after the first album.

A Weekend in the City was okay I guess, and the Silent Alarm remix album has a few really good remixes on it (like the Death From Above one), but aside from that all their other material isn't memorable in the least.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I like all of their first four albums. Hell the album with the new band was actually p decent if you deleted the first song.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Silent Alarm is literally a perfect album and everything they did after wasn't anywhere near as good. They really should've just broken up after the first album.

A Weekend in the City was okay I guess, and the Silent Alarm remix album has a few really good remixes on it (like the Death From Above one), but aside from that all their other material isn't memorable in the least.

I really liked Intimacy, probably more than A Weekend In The City. Four did nothing for me at all. Touring Silent Alarm on a non-anniversary year is a very odd move.

It seems to me like of Montreal's new album has been completely overlooked. I know he's never going to hit the heights of 'Hissing Fauna...' again because that was a perfect album, but the new one 'White Is Relic/Irrealis Mood' is pretty much the best thing he's done in the last ten years, and certainly the most focused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak9ObV61g1k

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Check out The Black Angels' latest album. Not exactly prog but kind of close.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Prog is not very trendy right now so you're not going to see many good newer acts popping up.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

There's plenty of contemporary prog bands, they just have nothing to do with indie rock.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

T Bowl posted:

Prog is not very trendy right now so you're not going to see many good newer acts popping up.

Is King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard not prog? I thought they were generally pretty popular

thetedster
Jan 31, 2007

Beelerzebub posted:

You might have more luck asking in the prog thread.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3284041

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

here is a band that is independent and try as hard as they can to sound like King Crimson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Is King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard not prog? I thought they were generally pretty popular

I'd call both those more psych. The last big prog leaning band that is within the 'indie' sub genre stuff too is probably The Mars Volta, but maybe i'm drawing a blank on others.