Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Brake dust adds character. Like how they never wash the winning car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

PaintVagrant posted:

Never, ever track a white car with an aggressive pad, then skip washing it for 5 months straight.

Learn from my mistakes. I’ve been clay barring rust of the sides of my fiST for 2 hours now. Almost done with one side.

buy a synthetic clay bar, your aching hands will thank you

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/brilliant+finish+synthetic+clay.do

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Wrar posted:

Part of it is cost, and most people won't push a car hard enough to see the benefits, and most low to medium power cars won't see much benefit.

There are a hell of a lot of what I'd call medium to high powered cars that don't have them either but really should - stuff like the 5-series or Infiniti G37

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
What pad? Ive liked the porterfield r4s

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

BraveUlysses posted:

buy a synthetic clay bar, your aching hands will thank you

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/brilliant+finish+synthetic+clay.do

I’ll try that next time for sure. Almost done now. Managed to find something that would loosen up the baked on dust on my wheels too.

DTC-60 pads

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PaintVagrant posted:

Never, ever track a white car with an aggressive pad, then skip washing it for 5 months straight.

Learn from my mistakes. I’ve been clay barring rust of the sides of my fiST for 2 hours now. Almost done with one side.

Lol. Do not EVER let DTC pad dust get wet.

Does anyone make a FiST shifter that moves the shift knob back about an inch? The loving thing is too far away and hurts my elbow. Moving the seat forward a notch puts me too close to the pedals.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

PaintVagrant posted:

I’ll try that next time for sure. Almost done now. Managed to find something that would loosen up the baked on dust on my wheels too.

DTC-60 pads

Their heavy duty wheel cleaner is insanely good but pricey. I have a friend who works there and I get the homie hookup on gallons

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Lol. Do not EVER let DTC pad dust get wet.

Does anyone make a FiST shifter that moves the shift knob back about an inch? The loving thing is too far away and hurts my elbow. Moving the seat forward a notch puts me too close to the pedals.

This shifter + short shift plate did the trick. If I recall correctly you are similar stature to me.

https://instagram.com/p/BgRx6nrF-vz/

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Also DHM used to make a bent extension that everyone likes. Looks like a hot rod shifter, haha.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

dissss posted:

There are a hell of a lot of what I'd call medium to high powered cars that don't have them either but really should - stuff like the 5-series or Infiniti G37

Those are the exact kind of cars I would expect to fake it with brakes. The W210 E-class had it twenty years ago.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

PaintVagrant posted:

There are fallout removal sprays specifically for dealing with this kind of thing, I think?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PaintVagrant posted:

This shifter + short shift plate did the trick. If I recall correctly you are similar stature to me.

https://instagram.com/p/BgRx6nrF-vz/

Seems legit :) Thanks

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I have picked up the Golf R, and it is good.

The only thing I don't like so far is climate control (coming from a vehicle with easy-peasy "I want this temperature of air at this fan speed!" controls), everything else is superb so far.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Those are the exact kind of cars I would expect to fake it with brakes. The W210 E-class had it twenty years ago.

I guess they do now, but it wasn’t as common ten years ago - pretty sure that none of the E60s I’ve driven had it and they really need something.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

PT6A posted:

I have picked up the Golf R, and it is good.

The only thing I don't like so far is climate control (coming from a vehicle with easy-peasy "I want this temperature of air at this fan speed!" controls), everything else is superb so far.

That's really my only nitpick about the GTI, too.

Also, if your rear tail lights suddenly disappear, it's definitely not because I stole them for my car so I can have the sweet, sweeping turn signals.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So, uh, auto-hold is pretty poo poo. Why the gently caress would I want to have to give gas to get the car moving downhill? Also, it seems to hold the brake way too loving long on uphill starts, so I stalled twice (whereas I did a hill start without auto hold easily).

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

PT6A posted:

So, uh, auto-hold is pretty poo poo. Why the gently caress would I want to have to give gas to get the car moving downhill? Also, it seems to hold the brake way too loving long on uphill starts, so I stalled twice (whereas I did a hill start without auto hold easily).

https://sites.google.com/a/naturalnetworks.ca/vw-golf-mk7-vcds-how-to/mechanical/hill-hold-assist-adjustment

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Please tell me that isn’t tweaking the car’s firmware.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It just changes a configuration flag, not code

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Warbird posted:

YOU'RE HACKING THE GIBSON NOW, SON.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Warbird posted:

just lol if you dont hack yer car. its 2018 ffs

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
you wouldnt download a car

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

BlackMK4 posted:

you wouldnt download a car

or would i

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

PT6A posted:

Also, it seems to hold the brake way too loving long on uphill starts, so I stalled twice (whereas I did a hill start without auto hold easily).

I disabled that poo poo before I made it home from the dealer when I got my FiST. Hated it for the same reason. Also it’s dumb and I don’t need to use it because I know how to drive.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How do you disable it on the FiST? It doesn't really get in my way, but that loving rev hang... At least it doesn't loving add throttle automatically when releasing the clutch like the GTI.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

BlackMK4 posted:

How do you disable it on the FiST? It doesn't really get in my way, but that loving rev hang... At least it doesn't loving add throttle automatically when releasing the clutch like the GTI.

in the setting menu in the infotainment screen

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

The rev hang is noticeably worse in my FoST than the last car I drove yeah. I feel like I have to kinda wait a half beat before I release the clutch for the revs to be where they should so it doesn't grab and kinda jerk down like 300 RPM. loving emissions bullshit

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh, wow, okay. Thanks :)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I just have to say: coming from a naturally-aspirated car, boost is absolutely fun as gently caress.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PT6A posted:

I just have to say: coming from a naturally-aspirated car, boost is absolutely fun as gently caress.

Get a JB1 or JB4 now

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Get an fmic and a tune already, you know you’re going to eventually :) tune will remove the rev hang.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

What the other guy said. As for the rev hang, I wish there was a menu option for that as well. I imagine you might be able to turn it off via Forscan or maybe mapping? EDIT: beaten again!

I really get annoyed at these aids which get in the way if you know how to drive properly, especially if they can’t be turned off.

PT6A posted:

Isn’t it though? My Dad just bought an ‘06 Boxster S for some fun and I drove it and it’s nice, but like, where is the shove in the back?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Pretty sure the rev hang is there for emissions reasons rather than as a driver aid (if anything it’s the opposite of that). I don’t think there will be a built in way of disabling it.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
Got some new shoes.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Gold on blue is always a winner.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

PaintVagrant posted:

Gold on blue is always a winner.

Nice Subaru.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That looks really nice. Your car is shiny as hell. You detail it yourself?

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

KillHour posted:

That looks really nice. Your car is shiny as hell. You detail it yourself?

I wish. There’s an amazing shop around the corner from my place that does it - and since I live in the hood it’s cheap af too. $40 gets this glorious shine.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

mattdev posted:

Got some new shoes.

16s or 17s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004