Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So none of the users noticed any issues but yeah, the speeds blow. Wifi speeds are around 30-40mb (out of 100) for most users, and it doesn't really matter what distance they are away from the AP. Since 2 users use a file share and need more bandwidth I went ahead and shitcanned the unit and replaced with an older Netbox 5 (5Ghz N, AC). It does around 40MB/s real bandwidth so like 300-500mbps connection speed. I adore the netbox 5s for 5Ghz usage. They are among the best performing APs I have found.

WTF Mikrotik. This is not that hard. AC is not a new technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think I might have to abandon my dreams of a combined AP/router that would be acceptable in a domestic environment and can ceiling mount, and pull some conduit to a utility cupboard to split the devices up.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I had a feeling the hAP AC2 would be lack-luster when I last compared the spec datasheets between the hAP AC and hAP AC2.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I just got a RouterBoard hEX, to replace a BT Homehub 5. I am happy with it.

Things I like:

1. A lot of configurability. For example, I can change the DNS, which you can't on a HH5.
2. It was a doddle to get it to take data from the new Netgear DM200 DSL modem I got to replace the modem part of the HH5.
3. It's nice and small.

Things I sort of dislike:

1. Having to google where to find things in the UI, e.g. where do I see all the clients connected to it with their IP addresses. (after a bit of googling, I now know it is inside IP --> DHCP Server --> Leases.).

Things I have done so far:

1. Set a password.
2. Added PPPoE settings to get internet into it from my modem.
2. Disabled the "get the default DNS from your ISP" (I don't want it defaulting to BT's DNS if my OpenDNS entires do not work, it was not intuitive to figure this out, needed googling why it was showing "dynamic DNS" entries after my OpenDNS IPs specified, wtf...).

Any recommendations for any other changes I should make to it for a small home, which has 5 APs, 1 24 port switch and about ... 15 devices in total connected to the network?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

redeyes posted:

So none of the users noticed any issues but yeah, the speeds blow. Wifi speeds are around 30-40mb (out of 100) for most users, and it doesn't really matter what distance they are away from the AP. Since 2 users use a file share and need more bandwidth I went ahead and shitcanned the unit and replaced with an older Netbox 5 (5Ghz N, AC). It does around 40MB/s real bandwidth so like 300-500mbps connection speed. I adore the netbox 5s for 5Ghz usage. They are among the best performing APs I have found.

WTF Mikrotik. This is not that hard. AC is not a new technology.

Running the RC RouterOS and firmware has improved things a little bit, but we're still at sub-100Mbps levels of actual throughput. Given I was after a device to be a router and AP for a 150Mbps Internet connection that is only going to have wireless clients it's not ideal.

I'll send it back and get it swapped for a Unifi AC Lite and run with the ISP-provided router for now, since it can run standalone and be managed off the app. Maybe add a Hex or a EdgeRouter at a later date if the requirements are there.

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

I had a feeling the hAP AC2 would be lack-luster when I last compared the spec datasheets between the hAP AC and hAP AC2.

The strange thing is I'm pretty sure the IPQ-4018 chip is happily running a lot of home/SMB gateway boxes and doing a very good job of it. Seems like this is purely a software fuckup but I don't realy want to wait around for MikroTik to fix it.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 18, 2018

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

New thread title?

Mikrotik: Purely a software fuckup

Atreus
Sep 20, 2005

SamDabbers posted:

New thread title?

Mikrotik: Purely a software fuckup

:parrot: ROS 7 anytime now. :parrot:

:negative:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Atreus posted:

:parrot: ROS 7 anytime now. :parrot:

:negative:

Back when I was looking into our BGP issues I remember finding a post from something like 2012 - 2013 talking about how the they'd be resolving the issue with the BGP process being single threaded in 7.0. That was pretty eye opening for someone who runs/ran a lot of their production network on this hardware, let me tell you.

Atreus
Sep 20, 2005
That reminds me, how do you guys handle BGP if you're using these for full tables? ASR1k/9k?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Atreus posted:

That reminds me, how do you guys handle BGP if you're using these for full tables? ASR1k/9k?

I've currently got a pair of CCR-1072s handling my BGP which is fine when you've only got one or two transit providers but when you start getting access to the big internet exchanges you start seeing some severe scalability issues. Within the next 2-3 months that will be a single ASR-9006 with dual supervisors. My fancy design for my core OSPF routers with multiple 1072s and stacking switches will be replaced by a single Nexus 7k, also with redundant supervisors.

Finally having the income to justify buying big-boy gear makes life so much simpler and so, so much more reliable.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 19, 2018

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Atreus posted:

For the cheap clients, I use the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Infinity.

It's a fantastic device, I've got one at my office here handling 7 full tables.
The redundant power supplies are nice too.
The whole thing is pretty awesome for the price.

Two caveats:

1. The Web GUI has some kind of stupid memory leak, causing reboots every 14 hours. Just disable it and use the command line. It's essentially an overhauled/more user friendly Vyatta/VyOS.
2. The ports are 'slaved' in a fashion. So ports 0-3 and 4-7 share the same 'port settings'. This means 0-3 have to be all gig or all 10 gig, and same for 4-7. For my purposes, I just have them all set to 10Gig and hang switches if I need gig ports.

For the clients with money, Cisco or Alcatel/Nokia. I'm a big Alcatel FanBoy so I deploy refurbished Alcatel 7750 platforms for any of my clients that can afford better than Mikrotik/Ubiquiti.

Atreus
Sep 20, 2005
zennik,

Do you have any recommendations on Alcatel stuff that might be economical enough to purchase for home labbing/use that gives good feelings for TiMOS? We're going to start using more 7750's here and I need something as economical and analogous as possible so I can get a better feeling for it and be ahead of the curve on it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

No idea how useful this is, but https://networks.nokia.com/src/mysrlab-getting-started

alyandon
Dec 9, 2001
Poster of the Month for July!
Fun Shoe
So what's the general consensus here regarding 6.41.x? Safe to upgrade or stick with 6.40.x since that is now the bugfix only branch?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

If you expect to have to rebuild the config from scratch for v6.40 -> v6.41, you'll probably be okay.

The reason I say that is they completely rebuilt the bridge/ethernet hardware switching backend. Most people that have had issues are ones that just hoped the software updated correctly and then the bridge interface died or something.

So update the software, clear the config to factory default, and you'll probably be fine (unless you're doing something special).

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

unknown posted:

If you expect to have to rebuild the config from scratch for v6.40 -> v6.41, you'll probably be okay.

The reason I say that is they completely rebuilt the bridge/ethernet hardware switching backend. Most people that have had issues are ones that just hoped the software updated correctly and then the bridge interface died or something.

So update the software, clear the config to factory default, and you'll probably be fine (unless you're doing something special).

I don’t think I did the upgrade and have a really basic config, bridge plus some NAT and firewall rules. Do I need to reset?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Boner Wad posted:

I don’t think I did the upgrade and have a really basic config, bridge plus some NAT and firewall rules. Do I need to reset?

No - you're fine. The problem is with people who have things like the CRS series and have some more complex configurations and the like are having surprises after upgrades.

You'll be fine.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I have dozens of CRS125 units doing some VLAN fuckery that uses special CRS-only switch chip code.

I do not expect any of them to work on upgrade... so they won't be.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Off topic for this thread, but does anyone know if the Routers from Ubiquiti are able to do basic traffic shaping? I'm thinking of replacing the whole setup at work to get much improved WiFi, but with an office of people working with cloud services I need something to fair-up bandwidth usage.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Which Routerboard model should I be looking at if I've got a home network with very simple needs (a couple of specific port forwards for services running on VMs, ~30 clients), but gigabit internet and don't want to bottleneck myself?

I've got AT&T fiber, and twice now something has gone wrong with their router that required a complete factory reset, losing all my config. I'd like to just put another router behind it in DMZ+ mode, and essentially bypass the AT&T router. I've already got wifi handled somewhere separate.

Edit: I also have an always-on VM host that could run pfsense and act as a router, if a single x86 core would be preferable to any of the cheaper routerboards.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 26, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

FunOne posted:

Off topic for this thread, but does anyone know if the Routers from Ubiquiti are able to do basic traffic shaping? I'm thinking of replacing the whole setup at work to get much improved WiFi, but with an office of people working with cloud services I need something to fair-up bandwidth usage.

You have a lot of options:

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/216787288-EdgeRouter-Quality-of-Service-QoS-

Just make sure you get a relatively beefy box - e.g. don't get a router that says it can do 150Mbps of throughput if you want to do 150Mbps of NAT, stateful firewall and QoS

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got this cool email from Mikrotik:

code:
Hello,

It has come to our attention that a rogue botnet is currently scanning random public IP addresses to find open Winbox (8291) and WWW (80) ports, to exploit a vulnerability in the RouterOS www server that was patched more than a year ago (in RouterOS v6.38.5, march 2017).

Since all RouterOS devices offer free upgrades with just two clicks, we urge you to upgrade your devices with the "Check for updates" button, if you haven't done so within the last year.

More information can be found here: [url]https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=132499[/url]

Best regards,
MikroTik
lol, I guess better than nothing which is what you generally get with no support contract

On every tik box I put in production, I lock the management services to one private subnet.. but thats just me.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just got the 60G Wireless Wire antenna combo. The idea is not to have to dig up a parking lot for a Hotel. Wish me luck.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Make a IP firewall for any service you have still open:

# MGMT firewall #1/3: disable unused services
/ip service
set ssh disabled=no
set winbox disabled=no
set telnet disabled=yes
set ftp disabled=yes
set www disabled=yes
set www-ssl disabled=yes
set api disabled=yes
set api-ssl disabled=yes

# MGMT firewall #2/3: create a whitelist of MGMT IPs
/ip firewall address-list
add address=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/18 list=whitelist comment="Whitelisted MGMT IPs"
add address=YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY/20 list=whitelist comment="Whitelisted MGMT IPs"

# MGMT firewall #3/3: block all SSH connections from IPs not on the above whitelist
/ip firewall filter
add action=reject chain=input dst-port=22 protocol=tcp reject-with=icmp-host-prohibited src-address-list=!whitelist \
comment="Reject SSH connections from IPs not on whitelist"
add action=reject chain=input dst-port=8291 protocol=tcp reject-with=icmp-host-prohibited src-address-list=!whitelist \
comment="Reject Winbox connections from IPs not on whitelist"
add action=reject chain=input dst-port=80 protocol=tcp reject-with=icmp-host-prohibited src-address-list=!whitelist \
comment="Reject WWW connections from IPs not on whitelist"

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Is there a reason you don’t just use the ACLs that are tied to the services? Those seem to work pretty well to me

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Pendent posted:

Is there a reason you don’t just use the ACLs that are tied to the services? Those seem to work pretty well to me

Wow. I've been doing the firewalls for like 5 years now. Maybe the ACL tied to services are new?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I need a replacement router, and have come across the hAP AC. Is it a good choice for a small 2 bedroom 2 floor house? I'm interested in prosumer stuff and this seems to be a decent option.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Atreus posted:

zennik,

Do you have any recommendations on Alcatel stuff that might be economical enough to purchase for home labbing/use that gives good feelings for TiMOS? We're going to start using more 7750's here and I need something as economical and analogous as possible so I can get a better feeling for it and be ahead of the curve on it.

A few options there.
You can acquire the x86 VM image for some lab testing, seems to work in GNS just fine. But it has a 24 hour expiration and then you have to reload it.
The 7750 SR-1 can be pretty cheap on eBay, get one with a pair of gig line cards and you'd be set for some tinkering.

I managed some pretty large networks with 7750 SR7s and 12s for several years so if you have any specific questions let me know. Most of my knowledge is based on using them for MPLS/VPLS, OSPF, and BGP.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

I just got the 60G Wireless Wire antenna combo. The idea is not to have to dig up a parking lot for a Hotel. Wish me luck.

Well that was f'n easy. Nice units too. They come pre-paired with all the fixings for mounting. Took all of a few mins to mount the things and presto, 1Gbps link over about 100 feet. Sweet!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I need a replacement router, and have come across the hAP AC. Is it a good choice for a small 2 bedroom 2 floor house? I'm interested in prosumer stuff and this seems to be a decent option.

Its a great router. Rock solid. I had one and got rid of it for one reason, it had slightly less coverage than a Mikrotik Netbox 5 (5Ghz AC AP only). And this is because the netbox has external antenna mounts where as the HAP has internal antennas. Will it matter, really hard to tell.

You can be assured if you do use it, you will install it and it will run for years with no issues.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Ah thanks. I figured it'd be reliable, but what about speed? I have a 100/10 plan, with probably ~5 devices connected to it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Ah thanks. I figured it'd be reliable, but what about speed? I have a 100/10 plan, with probably ~5 devices connected to it.

It would do that with no problems I am pretty sure.

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

More new stuff announced including 10gig copper switch.

https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/EU18/presentation_5128_1522914661.pdf

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That little SFP+ switch with dual power inputs looks interesting

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Anyone successfully set up multicast routing over Mikrotik devices with their PIM implementation? I must be doing something dumb because nothing works if I try to do it according to MikroTik wiki. Regardless of what I do, the router on the sender side is not sending multicast anywhere and the router on the receiver side is not telling anyone that a receiver has registered (or even admitting it to itself). Everything works fine with hardcoded IGMP-Proxy based topology but when I enable PIM it is as if multicast ceases to exist.

If anyone has a basic 5-step howto on how to achieve success with PIM, I would appreciate it.

Edit: aw, jeez, found this comment on MikroTik forums

quote:

for those of you who are facing the same/a similar problem with multicast here's the latest news. I was in contact with Mikrotik support and they informed me that PIM is very buggy in rOS V6. It is expected to be fixed in V7. So in other words, PIM is not at a production level so far and by this, some-how unusable.

Do I understand it correctly that V7 is vaporware? I see a lot of "planned for v7" style comments that I find little confidence in.

EssOEss fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 21, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

V7 is likely to be finished about three weeks before the global water wars start so I wouldn't make any plans that rely on it appearing in the future.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

New security vulnerability found in all recent versions (v6.29+) over winbox allowing remote download of the users file.

https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=133533

Someguy on reddit on how it is encrypted posted:

The passwords in the sended file are crypted - fortunatelly it's not too hard to decrypt it - after my analysis I figured out that the passwords are crypted with XOR method. Every account has a different crypt-key.

Update (2008-12-08): after a long time when xor key generation algorithm was unknown to me i finaly have some time and i figured out that algorithm: to username is concatenated a constant string: "283i4jfkai3389", then from this is computed md5 digest, which is in fact the xor key, which we need for decrypting :) simple, isn't it? :) I implemented it from mtpass-0.3 version.

DON'T ROLL YOUR OWN CRYPTO

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lmao gently caress sake MikroTik

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

unknown posted:

New security vulnerability found in all recent versions (v6.29+) over winbox allowing remote download of the users file.

https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=133533

DON'T ROLL YOUR OWN CRYPTO

My ASR 9006 was ordered last Friday :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

quote:

Versions affected: 6.29 to 6.43rc3 (included). Updated versions in all release chains coming ASAP. Edit: v6.42.1 and v6.43rc4 have been released!

Something missing from that list....