Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Thank you.

Texas is dumber than poo poo at this point. The UFC is just going to stop putting on shows there. Even USADA won't put sanctions on the fighters, take the loving hint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Captain Log posted:

Probably in my top ten best fights. Or “most enjoyable.”

Unlike Conner in boxing, Floyd will get straight hosed up if he steps in the cage.

Conor did get straight hosed up. You might have heard about it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Snowman_McK posted:

Conor did get straight hosed up. You might have heard about it.

He won four-ish rounds and nearly made it out of the tenth with one of the best living boxers?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Captain Log posted:

He won four-ish rounds and nearly made it out of the tenth with one of the best living boxers?

This is a very skewed characterization of that bout.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Captain Log posted:

the participation champion

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
ill take 100 mil to be the participation champ of the world

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Captain Log posted:

He got beat up and knocked out by a little forty year old man who hadn’t gotten a real KO in a decade.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
*eyes welling* it was a TKO! he never got knocked out!

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Skip My Posts posted:

*eyes welling* it was a TKO! he never got knocked out!

this. in fact he basically won the fight. watch it again at half speed with the commentary off

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Captain Log posted:

We're gonna argue semantics here, but it's not hard to win rounds in boxing if your opponent literally doesn't throw a punch.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I think we can find some neutral ground here. Conor did better than most expected, made a lot of money and also probably had his long term quality of life lowered because of how badly he got beaten

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mayweather beat Conor like he thought Conor was his fiancee

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

david carmichael posted:

I think we can find some neutral ground here. Conor made a lot of money and also probably had his long term quality of life lowered because of how badly he got beaten

FTFY

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

mewse posted:

:drat:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

mewse posted:

m-bison-yes.gif

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

david carmichael posted:

I think we can find some neutral ground here. Conor did better than most expected, made a lot of money and also probably had his long term quality of life lowered because of how badly he got beaten

Yeah, pretty much.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

JaySB posted:

We're gonna argue semantics here, but it's not hard to win rounds in boxing if your opponent literally doesn't throw a punch.

Hey, hey...Floyd threw 18 punches.

Over 3 rounds.

So, yes, Conor did better than expected by winning rounds by default due to his opponents almost complete inaction.

Conor got hosed up. There is no universe in which that was an impressive performance.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Any time someone says "but he landed more punches than (insert fighter)" I am reminded of the boop.gif

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Credit to the Co-Main Event podcast for stating this fact

It was 7 years ago to this date Jon Jones beat Shogun for the Light Heavyweight Title.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

JaySB posted:

Any time someone says "but he landed more punches than (insert fighter)" I am reminded of the boop.gif

I'm reminded of the Lawler/Manhoef fight, where Lawler was outstruck literally 10 to 1, and won the fight via knockout.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
My favorite part.

https://gfycat.com/ThoroughSpiritedBordercollie

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

this. in fact he basically won the fight. watch it again at half speed with the commentary off

you need to slow it down to seem them hand him the belt at the end

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Take boxing talk to the boxing thread Conor got loving smashed btw

https://twitter.com/marc_raimondi/status/975864382759493632

Talk about this bullshit instead.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Memento posted:

Take boxing talk to the boxing thread Conor got loving smashed btw

https://twitter.com/marc_raimondi/status/975864382759493632

Talk about this bullshit instead.

I wanna feel bad but I kinda hate Calvillo so :shrug:

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

JaySB posted:

The best part of that is the same people who were saying it were also saying “it only takes 1 punch from Conor” before the fight.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

conor stole that move from teh string that i hang in my garage and punch at retardedly

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Now that he's a UFC fighter I'll talk about FLoyd "Money" Mayweather here in the UFC thread to my hearts content.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Floyd Money might be outmatched in a MMA bout but all it takes is one good punch.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just noticed that Rashad hasn't won a fight since USADA came in.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

CommonShore posted:

I just noticed that Rashad hasn't won a fight since USADA came in.

Dem' titties.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Matt Lindland posted:

Floyd Money might be outmatched in a MMA bout but all it takes is one good punch.

lol

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I expected conor to miss many more punches, gas earlier, trip over his own feet, get outmuscled in the clinch by the smaller fighter. Like him landing powerless jabs is better than what i was expecting which was: not landing lovely jabs

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

ESPN is reporting that Cub Swanson will sign a new contract with the UFC, and they are working on a fight with Frankie Edgar. He did test free agency, but the UFC's offer was close enough to the others that he decided to stay.

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/976164640089563136

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
good. i hope they take care of him.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I don't think a Frankie/Cub rematch is great news for Cub, even if Frankie shows up somewhat diminished from age and/or the beating Ortega gave him.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
There's no way Frankie would be cleared to fight so soon, right? Even if he is cleared, it seems like a really bad idea to fight just seven weeks after getting hosed up like that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

At this point I literally don’t know who is more shot.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Edgar has been finished exactly once and has only lost a FW to Aldo (the greatest FW of all time) and an extremely dangerous upcoming prospect.

Edgar could well have passed his apex at this point and it's likely but it's way too soon to call him shot.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Floyd mayweather

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Yeah, I think Frankie's time in the sun is waning, but Frankie/Cub I gave me absolutely no reason to believe a rematch would be any different.

• Locked thread