Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I think everyone is saying:

Open account
Deposit bond
Take out $1k
Take out $1k
Close account

You might have to open it with $50 or something as sometimes they want some kind of 'seed' for the account.

Right..except for the waiting 60 days after turning over the bond before he can begin that pain in the rear end process...

Edit: goddamn tax... I don't have any cats in cars. But here is current cat status: They want breakfast.

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

angryrobots posted:

From the article posted.

I'm very on the fence about driverless tech, but reasonably you have to admit that there are situations where accidents can happen, regardless of whether the driver is a piece of software or sentient meatbag.

LIDAR. Shadows.

I bet Volvo are heavily regretting partnering with Uber right now, they'll forever have their name and a picture of their safest SUV linked to the first autonomous driving kill.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Liquid Communism posted:

Well, that was quick.

Always frustrating when exactly the thing that everyone with a brain has been warning them would happen inevitably happens.
Nothing is perfect, and hitting a cyclist that crosses the street without looking is a really hard to thing to avoid. Let's see where blame truly lies before we pass judgement, aye?

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 20, 2018

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

cakesmith handyman posted:

LIDAR. Shadows.

I bet Volvo are heavily regretting partnering with Uber right now, they'll forever have their name and a picture of their safest SUV linked to the first autonomous driving kill.

I thought tesla already had that honor with a model s vs. semi turning left.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Dozer is now 40lbs at around 16wks

He is beginning to learn the art of counter surfing and it’s driving me bananas

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

True nothing is perfect but reports are suggesting she 'came from the shadows' into the road. I thought that was the point of having all those radar arrays on self driving cars? Or can they not see in the dark?? You imagine the car saw her but didn't know what to do as she was approaching the road, I imagine the default would be 'apply brakes slightly' just in case. I guess the programming is going to be tweaked a bit from this point to the old driving classic 'assume everyone around you is an idiot trying to hit you, assume every pedestrian is going to walk out on you'

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It is going to take at least 50 years and a significant overhaul of the entire US infrastructure before we see self-driving cars being used for more than replacing truckers and taxis in big cities

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

It is going to take at least 50 years and a significant overhaul of the entire US infrastructure before we see self-driving cars being used for more than replacing truckers and taxis in big cities

That's a long winded way of saying "never going to happen."

Olympic Mathlete posted:

True nothing is perfect but reports are suggesting she 'came from the shadows' into the road. I thought that was the point of having all those radar arrays on self driving cars?

My guess would be those little Doppler radar units can't get a consistent hit off of something as small as a human body. Quick google search shows pedestrian avoidance systems utilize a combination of radar and optical sensors, so it being dark out likely contributed to the system failing.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Right..except for the waiting 60 days after turning over the bond before he can begin that pain in the rear end process...

Edit: goddamn tax... I don't have any cats in cars. But here is current cat status: They want breakfast.

Nobody said it'd be fast. Sounds like he's in a bit of a crap situation. I'm all for credit unions instead of big banks, but then you've got poo poo like this that's a total ballache if you don't fall in with the masses.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

rdb posted:

I thought tesla already had that honor with a model s vs. semi turning left.

Autopilot != Autonomous. Some dipshit watching a film while his glorified lane departure system steers him into the side of a turning truck is entirely a different class of accident to "autonomous vehicle with safety driver kills a pedestrian", exactly the sort of accident we're repeatedly told will disappear because of how good AI drivers will be.

E: also blaming shadows when the system uses lidar that can easily spot a (small) human is terrible. That's why they're used, they're not dependant on ambient light.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I don't remember who it was that posted about the podcast named Lore but thank you. This is totally my jam. I get to listen to Podcasts for a couple hours in the mornings at work and I am always looking for good stories to listen to.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Edit: nope. I've said my piece on the cyclist thing.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

She was walking her bike apparently, so I don't think she cycled out into the lanes quickly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I think everyone is saying:

Open account
Deposit bond
Take out $1k
Take out $1k
Close account

You might have to open it with $50 or something as sometimes they want some kind of 'seed' for the account.

This would work fine if all the local banks didn't have a limit of $1000 per day. That's the max cash in PER bond. They won't even touch the 5K bond because of this. I guess I wasn't clear on that?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

This would work fine if all the local banks didn't have a limit of $1000 per day. That's the max cash in PER bond. They won't even touch the 5K bond because of this. I guess I wasn't clear on that?

Where you are not clear is -- can you take out another $1000 on the second day? The third? Etc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seminal Flu posted:

Where you are not clear is -- can you take out another $1000 on the second day? The third? Etc.

No, they won't even redeem the bond because of the amount. So I just need to get over to the post office and get this fucker mailed to the Treasury Dept.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Geoj posted:

My guess would be those little Doppler radar units can't get a consistent hit off of something as small as a human body. Quick google search shows pedestrian avoidance systems utilize a combination of radar and optical sensors, so it being dark out likely contributed to the system failing.

If the sensors can't pick up a human body then I guess they're kinda pointless...?? Sending a car out that can't see pedestrians shouldn't be that much of an issue in the US because no oval office walks anywhere but holy poo poo it still mowed some poor fucker down.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

No, they won't even redeem the bond because of the amount. So I just need to get over to the post office and get this fucker mailed to the Treasury Dept.

This seems bizarre to me. I have a close relationship with my bank girl and she told me they do not give a flip about anything under 10k and have no requirement to fill out suspicious activity reports under that unless you are doing things like $9900 deposits or withdrawals on the reg. Why is your life so difficult?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

Why is your life so difficult?

If I had this answer man. Remind me to detail how I've been just generally hosed over in life since 1987.

Edit: that sound pathetic. My life has been good for more than 10 years.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 20, 2018

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If the sensors can't pick up a human body then I guess they're kinda pointless...?? Sending a car out that can't see pedestrians shouldn't be that much of an issue in the US because no oval office walks anywhere but holy poo poo it still mowed some poor fucker down.

Probably more of a case of "will prevent most pedestrian involved accidents but doesn't work 100% of the time."

Looking at the numbers, there were 5,376 fatal pedestrian/vehicle accidents in 2015. If you prevent half of those (assuming a 50% success rate, which is probably substantially lower than pedestrian avoidance systems actually perform) you're still saving 2,700 odd lives per year.

TL; DR don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

If I had this answer man. Remind me to detail how I've been just generally hosed over in life since 1987.

Edit: that sound pathetic. My life has been good for more than 10 years.

What happened in 1987? :iiam: I know you're an old fogey so it wasn't birth.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Larrymer posted:

Rhyno was born?

EDIT: Ffffffffff

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

Remember Ryan White, the famous kid with AIDS? We moved to central Indiana at the same time as his family. My new school thought I was him and put out a memo to all teachers (without doing any research as he was several years older than me). Thus began three solid years of extreme bullying. I was taunted with chants of AIDS-BOY and brutalized. I can't even remember the number of times I went home bloody. It never stopped, not until we moved away. The school did nothing and we were unable to find a lawyer who thought we could effectively sue over the memo.

So yeah, you'd think I'd have gotten my hands on some guns at some point right?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
TIL: people think that Idiocracy is a genuinely good movie, and will get very mad when you point out that the central premise is "not utilizing eugenics will lead to the downfall of civilization"

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Remember Ryan White, the famous kid with AIDS? We moved to central Indiana at the same time as his family. My new school thought I was him and put out a memo to all teachers (without doing any research as he was several years older than me). Thus began three solid years of extreme bullying. I was taunted with chants of AIDS-BOY and brutalized. I can't even remember the number of times I went home bloody. It never stopped, not until we moved away. The school did nothing and we were unable to find a lawyer who thought we could effectively sue over the memo.

WTF man

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No poo poo. loving hell, dude.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

:shrug: Children are monsters. It's nothing short of a miracle that I am as well adjusted as I am.

Also worth noting, this was a rich kids school. I got bussed into the district because we were new and the immediate school was bursting at the seems.

Also note, I do not use this as a crutch, I got over this a long time ago but there have been long lasting ripples in my life.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Jesus Christ why did your parents not immediately take you out of school, three years? Seriously?

I would have moved to another loving country.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

Jesus gently caress.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rhyno posted:

You would think that they wouldn't want AIDS blood on them :v:

Seriously though, kids are loving evil sometimes. I'm glad you came out fairly well adjusted

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I seriously can't believe this has never come up.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Jesus Christ why did your parents not immediately take you out of school, three years? Seriously?

I would have moved to another loving country.

My mom tried. My dad worked so much he was never really around to see what was going on. Mom would keep me home and then truancy officers would show up. When the school finally did an investigation it was deemed that I was egging the bullies on so no actions were taken. When we moved it was such an issue that I was registered at the new school by my initials just in case.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rhyno posted:

I seriously can't believe this has never come up.

My mom tried. My dad worked so much he was never really around to see what was going on. Mom would keep me home and then truancy officers would show up. When the school finally did an investigation it was deemed that I was egging the bullies on so no actions were taken. When we moved it was such an issue that I was registered at the new school by my initials just in case.

Indiana is a complete shithole and I'm amazed that you still live there.

If that sounds harsh I grew up in Michigan and that too is a shithole but I don't still live there.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I was 10 in 87 so I remember how huge a deal Ryan White was then, I can't imagine if they truly thought you were him Jesus

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

Indiana is a complete shithole and I'm amazed that you still live there.

If that sounds harsh I grew up in Michigan and that too is a shithole but I don't still live there.

Aside from the Klan, Fort Wayne is pretty decent. My family is here, I met my wife here, cost of living can not be beat.

everdave posted:

I was 10 in 87 so I remember how huge a deal Ryan White was then, I can't imagine if they truly thought you were him Jesus

Imagine trying to understand why you're getting beaten daily when you're 8 years old.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

So they won't take deposits over 1000/day? Well that sucks.

Sorry about your crap-rear end childhood, but you seem to be doing pretty well lately what with the weight loss and the out-of-your-league (by your own words) wife. Sounds like everything's been coming up Milhouse Rhyno.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So they won't take deposits over 1000/day? Well that sucks.

If I had $5000 cash they would take it. But bonds are stupid.

I seriously can't believe I've never brought up my past before. I guess it never seemed relevant.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The Door Frame posted:

TIL: people think that Idiocracy is a genuinely good movie, and will get very mad when you point out that the central premise is "not utilizing eugenics will lead to the downfall of civilization"

The government in Idiocracy is better than the current one since it is a meritocracy and the smart people rise to the top and the president listened to the smart people.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

If I had $5000 cash they would take it. But bonds are stupid.

I seriously can't believe I've never brought up my past before. I guess it never seemed relevant.

Gotcha, I think a number of us were reading it as you could only withdraw $1k/day after deposit. Now it makes nonsense.

Also: Can testify -- Fort Wayne schools can be killing fields. Only the strong survive.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Seminal Flu posted:

Also: Can testify -- Fort Wayne schools can be killing fields. Only the strong survive.

This is the most American sentence I've read in weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Thoughts on if this would be stupid to consider:

I have a brand new car, only has 1500 miles on it. Would it be idiotic to rent a car for $175 or a SUV for $250 for a week to keep from putting 1500 more miles on it next week on vacation?

Also the rental would have full coverage with no out of pocket from my credit card protection. Thoughts? I am not a rich man but would this cost seem to be a worthy expense?

• Locked thread