Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Noctis is pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
When's the fight game with only Air Blocking going to come out.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Psychic Force?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jmcrofts posted:

Easy way: b, b, qcb, b, qcb, b etc. Doesn't work with sway characters because qcb makes you sway.
Hard way: b, b, roll to db, neutral, b, db, neutral, b, etc. works with every character but pretty hard timing.

b,b,db is actually pretty easy on pad, hehe. At least easy enough that I could do the "kbd 1,1,2" test consistently. It might be easier than doing it the easier way.

I played some SC2 matches with Owl once and I don't get that game or the movement in that game, so I suppose it really is a matter of opinion there.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

NICE. You can equip that on any character.

Any video of that in action? Do they actually reflect how much damage is being dealt? Seems really cool.

EDIT: It gives 9999 on a KO blow with the Rage Art. How cute.

Roluth fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 20, 2018

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Late but KoFXIV is easy and fun and everybody should come beat me up in it.

No Korean backdashes, no instant air dashes, good movement and defense options, good damage, big and interesting cast, no pesky third dimension. It avoids all of the checkboxes for complaints!

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

hit me with a 3d airdasher

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
how do you do a korean air backdash if you can't crouch while jumping

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Hobojim posted:

Late but KoFXIV is easy and fun and everybody should come beat me up in it.

No Korean backdashes, no instant air dashes, good movement and defense options, good damage, big and interesting cast, no pesky third dimension. It avoids all of the checkboxes for complaints!

I honestly find korean back dashing to be a ton easier than consistently doing all four kinds of jumps KoF has

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Poniard posted:

So, Dissidia?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Marin Karin posted:

same.

Kilik seems fun, and the game is pretty.

I know kiliks evil ryu stance stuff is new, but did he always have strings with guard impact points inbetween attacks?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Locke posted:

So, Dissidia?

Or Gundam Versus.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
he had a couple that would end with him holding the stick vertically in front of him that parried As, but i never saw anybody actually applying that

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Poniard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtjtQ0vPrm4

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

drat i was hoping for some wackass poo poo like guilty gear but with a 3rd dimension

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It's a real shame that this is the state of Virtual On in 2018.

The license is whatever but making it so slow and boring and cutting out so much is horrible.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It took a while for me to come to grips with the new controls but I really like it, and on balance I'd say it's faster than OT. I was expecting to hate it but it's pretty rad, I just wish I didn't have to play to Japan's schedule to find players.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It took a while for me to come to grips with the new controls but I really like it, and on balance I'd say it's faster than OT. I was expecting to hate it but it's pretty rad, I just wish I didn't have to play to Japan's schedule to find players.

I mean, this is what I'm comparing it to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAWHJv6ODiM

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Poniard posted:

Does Fate/unlimited codes have any characters with an airdash, I don't remember but it sounds like something that game would have

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There aren’t any airdashes but lancer has a move that he uses midair which vaults him across the screen and can be used as a legit movement option because of how fast it is.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

pokken has a bunch of characters with different midair movement options including at least one with an airdash

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

mango sentinel posted:

I'm gonna agree that KBDs are stupid. Games can have execution barriers but basic movement options shouldn't be one of them. Is the same reason any game with IAD should have two button dashes.

I've never played Tekken but this exact logic was applied to FPS games and it was loving awful and continues to work to that genre's detriment to this day, so I'm gonna go with no.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
The new Dissidia game has a really good, long as gently caress airdash on a single button that recovers fast and lasts almost as long as you want it to.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Well it doesnt sound like KBDs are basic movement options just something you need to know for high-level play what im saying is... Super Smash Brothers Melee.. wavedashing.. think about it

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've never played Tekken but this exact logic was applied to FPS games and it was loving awful and continues to work to that genre's detriment to this day, so I'm gonna go with no.

You could say that. You could also say that the simplification of FPS movement unlocked the genre for the masses and kicked off the FPS Renaissance while the last bastion of rocket jumps and glitch movement continues to fade into irrelevance as every other game that attempts to force it to be a thing fails to gain any traction. I'm a little sad that the days of flying around the map as explosion-powered speed buggies is gone, but I'm not going to begrudge the genre losing the absurd skill floor that was not just rocket jumping, but rocket jumping, switching weapons, aiming, landing a rail gun/shock rifle combo shot, switching back to rockets before landing, and rocket jumping again immediately because a still space marine was a dead space marine.

That said, removing KBD from Tekken would be stupid, if just because the game's lateral movement would be awful without it. There'd be no spacing, just a vacuum pulling two players into melee range with neither having the tools to really escape it to regain positioning without getting kicked in the gut for trying it. They'd need to really empower standard backdashes to make removing it viable and I don't think you want to see a Tekken where just normal backdashes have the ability to trump many mid or high attacks.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I mean there still hasn't been an interesting FPS since Q3 so I'm gonna say that yes that was a bad development for people who care about FPS's

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Simplifying movement isn't what made recent fps popular, I'm willing to bet that if they gave 76 a rocket jump you wouldn't see a mass exodus of Overwatch players because now they can't play the game perfectly or something lol

It would be interesting to see a Tekken game with SC2 or 6 movement speeds instead of backdashes, but I don't think it would feel right. Might as well play DoA at that point

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Maybe a genre where games of varying complexity and skill floors can all be commercially successful is the best indicator of genre health

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

In Training posted:

I mean there still hasn't been an interesting FPS since Q3 so I'm gonna say that yes that was a bad development for people who care about FPS's

Painkiller was very good. It came out in 2004 though and everything since then has been poo poo.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

I honestly find korean back dashing to be a ton easier than consistently doing all four kinds of jumps KoF has

Press up. Press up but longer. Press down then up. Press down then up but longer.

Really though yeah hops take getting used to but like, maybe a week to do them all consistently if you focus on it in practice. Combos are easy in xiv now too. It’s a really accessible game compared to xiii and is still fun to play.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

In Training posted:

Ok and what about the other 50 million people who play Battlefield/COD/Overwatch these days compared to the ten people playing Quake Champions? Do they not count as caring about FPS's?

Ain't trying to pick on you cause hell yeah Quake/Unreal style games are fun and yes the genre panders to accessibility and the lowest common denominator these days. But ultimately the competitive/hardcore audience is microscopic compared to the whole of people who play games.

Games that are both competitively interesting and mainstream are basically unicorns. MOBA's and Counter Strike are probably the only things that I can really think of in that category.

Despite 'esports' being a massive buzzword being these days I've basically come to terms with thinking that the kind of competitive games I want to play are almost always gonna be a niche activity.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hobojim posted:

Press up. Press up but longer. Press down then up. Press down then up but longer.

Really though yeah hops take getting used to but like, maybe a week to do them all consistently if you focus on it in practice. Combos are easy in xiv now too. It’s a really accessible game compared to xiii and is still fun to play.

I cant wrap my head around kof combos sometimes like it feels like normals dont go into each other as easily as supers do, which is cool but im like coming from sf trying to do a lp to an hp and its not a combo and im scratching my head. Havent played in 6 months so apologies for extra ignorance

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
just play 98 and pick ralf

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
you know what would actually be really, really cool? a turn-based fighting game. sort of like Toribash but without having to have a college degree in kinematics to be able to throw a decent punch in it.

e: what I'm thinking is, it would be more or less the same system as what that game has (WEGO turns covering a certain number of "frames" that play out inputs picked during the player's turn) but instead of having to try and make your moves from scratch, you have a list or "deck" of available options based on the current situation.

like, say the two fighters are standing face to face. at the most basic level, each fighter would have the option to throw a punch or kick (which would involve picking the limb used and the striking location, and letting the game procedurally handle the rest), block at a specific location, or grapple a location on the other fighter's body. grappling would add takedowns and throws to the list of the grappling player's options, whereas the grappled player would be able to either try and break the grapple or counter-grapple (like in a wrestling lockup) in addition to their usual options. you could get more creative with this, adding special techniques that only pop up in certain context-sensitive situations (for example, if you're behind the other fighter and grappling their torso, you can German suplex them).

e2: I don't necessarily think this would Save Fighting Games or anything (though I actually do feel like it's a decent alternate angle to what Sirlin's trying to achieve with Fantasy Strike) but the more I think about this the more I want to play it

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 20, 2018

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

you know what would actually be really, really cool? a turn-based fighting game. sort of like Toribash but without having to have a college degree in kinematics to be able to throw a decent punch in it.

e: what I'm thinking is, it would be more or less the same system as what that game has (WEGO turns covering a certain number of "frames" that play out inputs picked during the player's turn) but instead of having to try and make your moves from scratch, you have a list or "deck" of available options based on the current situation.

like, say the two fighters are standing face to face. at the most basic level, each fighter would have the option to throw a punch or kick (which would involve picking the limb used and the striking location, and letting the game procedurally handle the rest), block at a specific location, or grapple a location on the other fighter's body. grappling would add takedowns and throws to the list of the grappling player's options, whereas the grappled player would be able to either try and break the grapple or counter-grapple (like in a wrestling lockup) in addition to their usual options. you could get more creative with this, adding special techniques that only pop up in certain context-sensitive situations (for example, if you're behind the other fighter and grappling their torso, you can German suplex them).

e2: I don't necessarily think this would Save Fighting Games or anything (though I actually do feel like it's a decent alternate angle to what Sirlin's trying to achieve with Fantasy Strike) but the more I think about this the more I want to play it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yomi_(card_game)

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yea zand already responded with the correct answer here but Yomi is effectively your idea completed, fleshed out, revised, and balanced. it's very fun and some people play it - i'd recommend picking up a physical copy of the latest edition box set and playing it with friends

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i tried playing yomi before and it seemed fun but i couldn't get over how bad the character designs were,

Garnavis
Aug 25, 2011

Hey, I calls 'em like I sees 'em! I'm a whale biologist.
There's also Battlecon, which more directly translates the mechanics of a fighting game to a tabletop. Not sure if there's a digital version though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

BattleCON is quite a bit more abstracted than Yomi as far as the actual stats are concerned, but it does a better job at getting the feel right, to me. BattleCON online has a beta you can participate in, I just don't remember if it's open to everyone or not. The same company also makes a game called Exceed which is probably a good balance between BattleCON and Yomi, but I much prefer it to Yomi. The downside being the only available characters are the lovely ones from Jasco Games right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

An official streetfighter table top miniatures game designed by youtubers with limited fighting game experience just came out. Its probably a total disaster