Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Renegret posted:

I'm trying to re-assure myself that this is the right decision before I call back the recruiter.

Thanks, internet.

Trust your gut. It sounds to me like you're making the right decision by backing out of this offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yah seconded.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The thing that was holding me in biggest of all was just more money. My fiance broke it down nice and easy for me though, and reminded me of what I already know: Bonuses don't exist. It's the first thing that's going to get axed the second the company has any hardship. Don't budget for it.

Once I took that bonus out of my consideration, it really wasn't worth it.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Correct on bonuses and likely also very correct on going with the instinct that you don't wanna work there. Sometimes it just isn't right.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Always go with your gut. It's right way more often.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

It's ok not to want to work at a daycare, which is more what that sounds like to me.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I look back at working on a dev team where people would fly drones around the open plan office and I cringe.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Jaded Burnout posted:

I look back at working on a dev team where people would fly drones around the open plan office and I cringe.

We were stuck in the engineering department for a few months while they were remodeling.

Nerf wars get old really quick

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

quote:

The computer (at the front of the class for the instructor) is not working. The error message reads:

“Missing Operating System”

Ooooh, I know what the problem is! Faulty RAM module!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That was all tolerable until you mentioned Dr Disrespect.

Actually I’ve never watched anything of his but from the few seconds I’ve seen and the fact that he cheated on his wife he sounds terrible.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

This is still happening in the office I work at.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Ooooh, I know what the problem is! Faulty RAM module!

What's kinda sad is I could see how that could actually cause that specific issue. Try to write an update to the bootloader with bad data in ram, and whoops, now it points to someplace that will never ever boot!

Edit: The only good DrDisrespect videos are the ones where he's slowly melting down because people are trolling him with honking horns in cars.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Actually I’ve never watched anything of his but from the few seconds I’ve seen and the fact that he cheated on his wife he sounds terrible.

Take everything you know about twitch and twitch "culture" that makes it terrible. Distill it and make a single caricature of all those things combined into one person.

That's Dr. Disrespect.

And in hindsight, imagine an office where they bring him up during a god drat job interview as an example of their office culture. Maybe if they found me 5 years ago this would be a different decision for me.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Renegret posted:

Take everything you know about twitch and twitch "culture" that makes it terrible. Distill it and make a single caricature of all those things combined into one person.

That's Dr. Disrespect.

And in hindsight, imagine an office where they bring him up during a god drat job interview as an example of their office culture. Maybe if they found me 5 years ago this would be a different decision for me.

Ah, okay. I just tend to watch Shroud stuff when I feel like watching people play video games because as someone who has been playing FPSes (poorly to somewhat well) for over a decade it’s really cool to see one of the best players in the world doing it.

Also because he’s chill and doesn’t rage and doesn’t say racist/sexist/homophobic stuff, he actually seems like he would be pleasant to be around if he ever actually left his house.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Edit: The only good DrDisrespect videos are the ones where he's slowly melting down because people are trolling him with honking horns in cars.

gently caress yes. It was even better because one of those videos where he's raging super hard about the dude honking is funnier than he has ever been on purpose.

You hear the thing getting closer, then farther as they dial it in, then louder louder louder louder until it flies off the cliff above them, hits the beach and explodes.

I honestly don't really hate the guy since I never watch any Twitch streams and I felt like that whole thing with him cheating on his wife was bizarrely handled because people made it seem like Twitch should have sanctioned him for it or something? I dunno, game streaming is still a bizarre fandom to me.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Went to the desk of the guy training me to learn about the apps I support. Came back to.my desk and the laptop and monitors had white paint all over them. Seems a contractor was in painting and didn't bother with a drop cloth.

Side note he didn't do a good job. There are air bubbles in the paint the size.of my finger

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 20, 2018

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The weird thing about him is that he doesn't actually seem like a bad person. His shtick is to be an rear end in a top hat yes, but really he just feels like a manufactured personality in order to get as many twitch viewers as possible. And it works.

The reason I was considering this a culture fit at first was because I understand the kind of person it takes to love bitcoins and twitch personalities and I know how to deal with people like that. But why should I have to deal in the first place? I'm reminded of a college party I went to once where I accidentally surrounded myself with a bunch 4channers. Why would I willingly work in an environment like that? I'm too old for that poo poo.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Renegret posted:

The weird thing about him is that he doesn't actually seem like a bad person. His shtick is to be an rear end in a top hat yes, but really he just feels like a manufactured personality in order to get as many twitch viewers as possible. And it works.

More or less. "I only play an rear end in a top hat on TV" is all well and good, but if that's literally the only time I ever see you I'm gonna assume you're a bad actor and just an rear end in a top hat IRL too.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv-c0Libe-k This video is the bestest thing ever, if only for the Blood Dragon Intro.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

dogstile posted:

On the plus side, boring jobs means you're stable right?

In my experience, boring jobs are more likely to get outsourced. :shrug:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mini pet-peeve: 'maybe' tickets

"If so and so approves, I want a laptop"

Why don't you just get approval and then put a request in for the laptop.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

blackswordca posted:

Went to the desk of the guy training me to learn about the apps I support. Came back to.my desk and the laptop and monitors had white paint all over them. Seems a contractor was in painting and didn't bother with a drop cloth.

Side note he didn't do a good job. There are air bubbles in the paint the size.of my finger

Now complain your equipment keeps crashing and you need a new laptop.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Now complain your equipment keeps crashing and you need a new laptop.

I do have to say going from "admin access to everything" to "need a manager signed request to install chrome" is a bit of a challenge.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
That whole environment sounds awful, especially the combination of bitcoiners and phone support. Bitcoiner people are only good if you can make fun of them without them flipping out, or are your customers, so you can laugh at them. I think you're right to pass on this, Renegret.

blackswordca posted:

I do have to say going from "admin access to everything" to "need a manager signed request to install chrome" is a bit of a challenge.

Oh Jesus, we used to have get approval to install Firefox or Chrome on PCs from the VP of IT, who would take weeks to approve anything. Until we started ignoring that request and just started installing them without approval, which no one cared about.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

More or less. "I only play an rear end in a top hat on TV" is all well and good, but if that's literally the only time I ever see you I'm gonna assume you're a bad actor and just an rear end in a top hat IRL too.

I dunno if I can really agree with that, I don't assume the absolute loving morons in horror films are absolute loving morons in real life. Case in point, Chris Hemsworth in "Cabin in the Woods" (watch that)

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Renegret posted:

The thing that was holding me in biggest of all was just more money. My fiance broke it down nice and easy for me though, and reminded me of what I already know: Bonuses don't exist. It's the first thing that's going to get axed the second the company has any hardship. Don't budget for it.

Once I took that bonus out of my consideration, it really wasn't worth it.

I once had a boss tell me that instead of a raise, I could get a bonus! Sure, money I can't count on and that will be taxed out the rear end is the same thing as an increase in pay, thanks.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I just feel like I'd always be looking over my shoulder afraid of being fired if I was goofing off at work all the time.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

I once had a boss tell me that instead of a raise, I could get a bonus! Sure, money I can't count on and that will be taxed out the rear end is the same thing as an increase in pay, thanks.

Not count on is true, but it’s actually taxed at the same rate as everything else, more is just withheld in most cases. You either get it back as a refund or adjust your withholdings to take advantage of it. :eng101:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

dogstile posted:

I dunno if I can really agree with that, I don't assume the absolute loving morons in horror films are absolute loving morons in real life. Case in point, Chris Hemsworth in "Cabin in the Woods" (watch that)

Cabin in the Woods is a really good movie, but that comment makes me think you should re-watch it. Hemsworth's character wasn't dumb, at all, and anything he did that was dumb was the result of outside influence.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

dogstile posted:

Yeah, but Chris Hemsworth is in other movies and plays other roles. It's also obviously not real, the disconnect is harder to manage when it's reality TV type stuff that Twitch seems to encourage, where being a racist shithead on camera is probably more true to life than 'oh no a crazed killer is on the loose, better split up gang!'.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

I just feel like I'd always be looking over my shoulder afraid of being fired if I was goofing off at work all the time.

Well, it comes with the caveat that you have to be delivering at a good pace for that poo poo to fly, so to speak.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Bob Morales posted:

We were stuck in the engineering department for a few months while they were remodeling.

I got used to having them at 4PM on a Friday. Made sure everyone was okay with you leaving early "to avoid it".

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Dr Disrespect(ful to women)

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Chiming in about the workplace culture and boringness: it makes all the difference in the world. In my current role, I will never advance from being a sysadmin into any form of Windows infrastructure engineering, which would be my course track (maybe VMware). Corporate IT does that, they are in another state, and I ain't moving (mortgage and family are all here). I don't think I'll have the ability to influence budget and fill some gaping holes (corporate won't allow a redundant Hyper-V server for clustering VMs in case of failure, because if a VM dies or the H-V host shits the bed we'll just restore the backup at Corporate until the fix is in) and other stupid poo poo that we do iffy or wrong won't get fixed. There's no 401k match or bonus.

However, on the other side of that equation: no dress code, really laid-back office, amazing relationship with a great boss that respects me, my co-workers, and our work-life balance. 8-4 shift and I leave at 3:50 to catch the early train. The pay is pretty good. Benefits are meh but decent. We don't have video games in the office but nobody really cares if you watch Youtube on your downtime. Plus we're not going anywhere anytime soon and if I go, my boss - who is already overloaded with technical projects that only he or the other guys here can do - will have to become sysadmin again, and he'd fight that tooth and nail.

I've been coming into balance more and more, fighting the "if you don't move up in your career you're going to be screwed later!" urge. I'm staying current on my MS certs just in case the poo poo hits the fan, but I'm slowly starting to accept more and more the fact that I might just be okay working here until retirement age.

It's a very, very odd feeling, especially for IT, IMO.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I have the opposite. Good pay, excellent benefits, and a complete poo poo sandwich of an environment.
Boss is a dickhead that second guesses and belittles everything. I got a dressing down for making a joke in a group chat - not even a bad joke, just a joke at all. It was "unprofessional" and showed I "wasn't taking things seriously". Even though I was actively fixing the issue.

Workplace hours are monitored to the point where I got asked where I went at 10am for 15 minutes (the shitter). YouTube is not blocked but God help you if anyone sees you watching it. I lost points in my review last year because someone saw something inappropriate on my screen. No other details. Just someone, something, don't do it again.

I keep applying elsewhere but no one wants me 😫

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Antioch posted:

I have the opposite. Good pay, excellent benefits, and a complete poo poo sandwich of an environment.
Boss is a dickhead that second guesses and belittles everything. I got a dressing down for making a joke in a group chat - not even a bad joke, just a joke at all. It was "unprofessional" and showed I "wasn't taking things seriously". Even though I was actively fixing the issue.

Workplace hours are monitored to the point where I got asked where I went at 10am for 15 minutes (the shitter). YouTube is not blocked but God help you if anyone sees you watching it. I lost points in my review last year because someone saw something inappropriate on my screen. No other details. Just someone, something, don't do it again.

I keep applying elsewhere but no one wants me 😫

It's disappointing how barren Edmonton is. If I ever need to get a real job again I'm screwed.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 20, 2018

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Methanar posted:

It's disappointing how barren Edmonton is. If I ever need to get a real job again I'm screwed.

Lots of crappy msp work you want it

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I said real job

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Alberta's team in the Brier only had 4 guys, surely you could get in on that action as the 5th or coach.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Methanar posted:

I said real job

Yeah.. But unless you know someone at an educational facility or in the government, msp is your option

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

We need a smiley that’s :uhaul: with a dogsled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Alberta's team in the Brier only had 4 guys, surely you could get in on that action as the 5th or coach.

I'll probably lose my citizenship for this, but curling's not a real sport.