Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

chami posted:

You misspelled ALLEZALLEZALLEZ

Venga....venga.....VENGA!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
has anyone climbed with a finger fracture? ive splinted/taped it up and im trying to decide if there's any value in going maybe 1-2 times a week when its late and just doing easy traversal stuff with the remaining 9

edit: probably should say that its my right pinky finger, fractured far away from the tip, not on the point and not displaced

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 18, 2018

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Got out on the real rock today. Felt good with a 10b, 10c, and 10d onsight. woo.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Verviticus posted:

has anyone climbed with a finger fracture? ive splinted/taped it up and im trying to decide if there's any value in going maybe 1-2 times a week when its late and just doing easy traversal stuff with the remaining 9

edit: probably should say that its my right pinky finger, fractured far away from the tip, not on the point and not displaced

I don't think this is a thing that someone can answer for you. Try it out once, go super easy, listen to your body. You want your hand to heal right, so if it's bad, don't do it.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

Verviticus posted:

Can you climb through it? Probably.

Should you climb through it? No.

It's difficult to say if you X then Y but the more you are active with that hand the more damage will occur in relation to it. Even just climbing with your index and middle finger will cause you to put move your pinky in ways that may damage it. It could be fine or it could result in it healing in a way that causes you pain forever in the future, it's impossible to say.

tl;dr: Impossible to say one way or the other, but climbing definitely has a greater than 0% chance of aggravating the injury, perhaps permanently.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

My main fear with "lemme climb and just not use this one broken finger" is that I'll still reflexively use it if I feel like I'm slipping or whatever and that's so so dangerous.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

DaNerd posted:

Can you climb through it? Probably.

Should you climb through it? No.

It's difficult to say if you X then Y but the more you are active with that hand the more damage will occur in relation to it. Even just climbing with your index and middle finger will cause you to put move your pinky in ways that may damage it. It could be fine or it could result in it healing in a way that causes you pain forever in the future, it's impossible to say.

tl;dr: Impossible to say one way or the other, but climbing definitely has a greater than 0% chance of aggravating the injury, perhaps permanently.

i gave it a shot and ran into this problem. a couple times i found grabbing a hold that was pretty easy still had me flexing my finger against the split, so i dropped off. i eventually settled on repeating a few problems that had holds that did not aggravate my finger this way and got an OK workout. ill probably do it once a week and just keep doing the same problems that i know i can do without this happening

Angryhead posted:

My main fear with "lemme climb and just not use this one broken finger" is that I'll still reflexively use it if I feel like I'm slipping or whatever and that's so so dangerous.

ya i wasnt going to do any problems i couldnt do one handed. nothing with iffy footholds and nothing that requires leaning too far to the left, basically. out of like 25 problems only 3 were really doable which is fine, im not trying to get better with a busted finger, i just want to not be inactive

edit: it was definitely instructive. ive never really climbed as slowly or as deliberately, so things i might normally find really easy were more taxing and i spent a lot more time thinking about where my feet went

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 18, 2018

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
Speaking of finger injuries, I have an injury on one finger (one middle and one ring) of each hand that upon a little bit of research is almost certainly an A2 pulley injury. Just a strain I believe, I heard no pop, and there's swelling and sensitivity between my knuckles, but its not severe. As I mentioned previously, I'm a total beginner and in my early 30s. I haven't been doing any crimpy holds. I'm pretty sure now that I've experienced this before, it's just more severe after my latest climb.

I've read several short-term protocols for dealing with this, but can anyone give me an idea of the long-term prognosis? If I keep my climbing to once every two weeks or so, make sure I'm warming up properly, etc. etc., is there hope of my tendons ever adapting to the point where I can climb regularly?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Do you remember what happened that caused the injury? How sure are you that it’s a pulley injury? Not that it’s impossible to happen other ways, but pulley injuries are often the result of crimping given the extreme force the hyperextension of your last finger joint puts on the pulley tendon.

If they are pulley injuries, the best rehab protocol is to stress the affected fingers frequently, but with very low intensity. The best way to do this is with a hangboard and a pulley counterweight system. If you climb once every two weeks you’ll make your recovery much slower than it needs to be. If you have access to a hangboard but no pulley, you could keep your feet on the ground as a way to control intensity. If no hangboard at all, you could do a few low intensity climbing sessions per week, being careful not to put too much load on the affected fingers (but not NO load — they need to be loaded to stimulate recovery. Hence why climbing is not the best rehab method, as it can be hard to straddle the line between enough load and too much load, especially if your foot slips!)

Try googling e.g. “hangboard pulley rehab” and look for results from ClimbHarder on reddit, the Rock Prodigy message boards, or maybe MountainProject (though there is a lot of garbage on MP). I also hear high praise for Dave MacLeods book on injuries “ Make Or Break” but haven’t read it myself.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Do you remember what happened that caused the injury? How sure are you that it’s a pulley injury? Not that it’s impossible to happen other ways, but pulley injuries are often the result of crimping given the extreme force the hyperextension of your last finger joint puts on the pulley tendon.

If they are pulley injuries, the best rehab protocol is to stress the affected fingers frequently, but with very low intensity. The best way to do this is with a hangboard and a pulley counterweight system. If you climb once every two weeks you’ll make your recovery much slower than it needs to be. If you have access to a hangboard but no pulley, you could keep your feet on the ground as a way to control intensity. If no hangboard at all, you could do a few low intensity climbing sessions per week, being careful not to put too much load on the affected fingers (but not NO load — they need to be loaded to stimulate recovery. Hence why climbing is not the best rehab method, as it can be hard to straddle the line between enough load and too much load, especially if your foot slips!)

Try googling e.g. “hangboard pulley rehab” and look for results from ClimbHarder on reddit, the Rock Prodigy message boards, or maybe MountainProject (though there is a lot of garbage on MP). I also hear high praise for Dave MacLeods book on injuries “ Make Or Break” but haven’t read it myself.

I can't recall a specific incident that caused either of them. I think it's just stress due to my relatively weak fingers and poor technique with relatively high upper body strength and weight (180ish).

To be clear, neither of the two severe, but it seems like it's a pulley injury to me:
- in the ring and middle fingers
- inflammation of the joint between the metacarpal and middle phalanx, and pain when pressure is put on the area, particularly from the posterior (palm) side
- in the more severe of the two, pain during finger flexion, but not extension; the other is mild enough that there's very little pain even from strenuous flexion

As others have mentioned regarding the other poster's injury, my biggest concern with climbing at all is that if I slip (and I'm bad at climbing so it's relatively likely to happen) I'll make them much worse. How dumb is it to climb with a splinted finger on each hand?

stoicheian
Aug 10, 2007
Pretty dumb. Avoid worsening your injuries or you might have to take a much longer break, or devlop a problem that will plague you for years. Take a few weeks off and work on other stuff.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

InjuryChat: Got to the topout section of Resonated, and ended up cranking on a dynamic move enough to tear the nail bed away from the nail on my right middle finger. separate about 2mm of the nail bed from under the front edge of the nail. Bled all over the place and made cranking painful as gently caress. Superglued it down and hopefully it will heal up in the next couple of days so I can crank on it some more.

:sigh:

:negative:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

gamera009 posted:

InjuryChat: Got to the topout section of Resonated, and ended up cranking on a dynamic move enough to tear the nail bed away from the nail on my right middle finger. separate about 2mm of the nail bed from under the front edge of the nail. Bled all over the place and made cranking painful as gently caress. Superglued it down and hopefully it will heal up in the next couple of days so I can crank on it some more.

I groaned out loud reading this, jesus gently caress.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

gamera009 posted:

been there, it will be better in a few days. Keep it clean.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
So I bought hooks and etriers. God help me.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Prepare for hours of boredom separated by moments of terror!

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Rime posted:

So I bought hooks and etriers. God help me.

Any big plans?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Gross drainage wall way up Toba inlet.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Can anyone recommend a routine to train a 1 arm pull up? I'm tired of failing on stupid moves off jugs because I can't pull hard enough. Also how to train for those ridiculous world cup problems where you throw yourself 8 feet horizontally and then campus off a lovely hold into a jug. I'd also take a routine for replacing all the setters at my gym.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

1-arm pull-ups are mostly neural, a lot less the strength component. If you can do weighted pull-ups, you’re probably 80% to the 1-arm. Just do assisted 1-arms with a resistance band for a while?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

gamera009 posted:

1-arm pull-ups are mostly neural, a lot less the strength component. If you can do weighted pull-ups, you’re probably 80% to the 1-arm. Just do assisted 1-arms with a resistance band for a while?

Should I just train weighted pull-ups then? Basically my biggest weakness right now is lock-offs and pulling into a one-arm lock-off when the motion is pretty dynamic so I can't cheat my way into position with a weird heel or high foot or whatever. I get that I can work on the technique side of moving my body into position better so it's not all pulling with my arm but at some point I watch other people do it and they just pull themselves into position and I don't have the strength to do it, and just in general my lock-off/pulling strength feels way below where it should be for what I climb. My gym had a campus competition a couple weeks back and I tried the problems afterwards and I could barely finish any intermediate problems, whereas for bouldering or sport I can generally finish all of the advanced problems and some easier open problems given time to project stuff.

I guess I could just start campusing more at the gym, but I'm having to change my schedule to have less days at the gym and less time when I am there so I'd rather get something going I can do on a hangboard or pull-up bar at home.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

M. Night Skymall posted:

Should I just train weighted pull-ups then? Basically my biggest weakness right now is lock-offs and pulling into a one-arm lock-off when the motion is pretty dynamic so I can't cheat my way into position with a weird heel or high foot or whatever. I get that I can work on the technique side of moving my body into position better so it's not all pulling with my arm but at some point I watch other people do it and they just pull themselves into position and I don't have the strength to do it, and just in general my lock-off/pulling strength feels way below where it should be for what I climb. My gym had a campus competition a couple weeks back and I tried the problems afterwards and I could barely finish any intermediate problems, whereas for bouldering or sport I can generally finish all of the advanced problems and some easier open problems given time to project stuff.

I guess I could just start campusing more at the gym, but I'm having to change my schedule to have less days at the gym and less time when I am there so I'd rather get something going I can do on a hangboard or pull-up bar at home.

Horst has a really nice series of training videos to deal with this. You can probably find them on YouTube or Vimeo. :v:

I’ve used them and while I was doing 1-arm pull-ups at my peak I’d say that it didn’t really solve any problems. Lockoffs as a general issue should be something that is position, technique, and core strength. Just climb more roof problems. :haw:

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

gamera009 posted:

Horst has a really nice series of training videos to deal with this. You can probably find them on YouTube or Vimeo. :v:

I’ve used them and while I was doing 1-arm pull-ups at my peak I’d say that it didn’t really solve any problems. Lockoffs as a general issue should be something that is position, technique, and core strength. Just climb more roof problems. :haw:

Yeah, every time I look up stuff about how to train power I end up with "it's really just your core and technique" but mysteriously everyone who climbs V10 can trivially do a 1-armed pull up. The reason I want a routine to work on power is that "just climb more" is definitely not getting me there, I've been specifically focusing on routes I suck at that are power based and it's helping a little but it's pretty slow, I think I'm at the point where I need to climb less and train more. It's also worth noting I'm specifically interested in getting better at competition style indoor climbing, as I've probably got 3+ years before I start climbing outside again with any regularity.

This is the route I referenced in my first post, and it's supposedly similar in difficulty to plenty of routes I can climb, but I feel like I couldn't do that in a million years, even though the guy in that video isn't that far away from me in terms of what we can climb in general. Admittedly there's a lot more going on in that route than "pulling hard."

Anyway, I'll look up those Horst videos and see where I get, I'm pretty sure I have his book somewhere around here too.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

M. Night Skymall posted:

Yeah, every time I look up stuff about how to train power I end up with "it's really just your core and technique" but mysteriously everyone who climbs V10 can trivially do a 1-armed pull up. The reason I want a routine to work on power is that "just climb more" is definitely not getting me there, I've been specifically focusing on routes I suck at that are power based and it's helping a little but it's pretty slow, I think I'm at the point where I need to climb less and train more. It's also worth noting I'm specifically interested in getting better at competition style indoor climbing, as I've probably got 3+ years before I start climbing outside again with any regularity.

This is the route I referenced in my first post, and it's supposedly similar in difficulty to plenty of routes I can climb, but I feel like I couldn't do that in a million years, even though the guy in that video isn't that far away from me in terms of what we can climb in general. Admittedly there's a lot more going on in that route than "pulling hard."

Anyway, I'll look up those Horst videos and see where I get, I'm pretty sure I have his book somewhere around here too.

It's cause people assume their experience is true for everybody else so because their problem wasn't strength there's no possible way it could be yours. I regularly make this mistake with my wife who eventually ignores me and techniques her way through a problem I brute forced through.

I don't yet have a one arm pullup but am currently training for one also with two days a week on strength focus (on top of my climbing where I'm focused on technique). One day dedicated to volume with high rep pullup sets and one dedicated to intensity with weighted pullup sets of 3-5 (start at 3 reps at a weight, go up 2.5-5lbs when I hit 5+ reps a set). Basically applying Texas method weekly linear programming to pullups if you know weightlifting stuff. I've been increasing at least by a weighted rep a set a week which isn't bad.

Also don't forget to do pushups or dips as well. Having the balancing strength will help you get stronger and will greatly reduce your chances of getting injured.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
To be clear, "Just climb more" is great advice for new climbers. It's complete rubbish advice for people trying to climb >=5.12, or boulder hard like V10.

At that point in climbing you should be able to identify your shortcomings and train for them. So if you feel like you need the strength to do a one armed pullup because you're encountering moves like that, then by all means train hard for that.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
https://www.instagram.com/p/BgVyuMrBDNQ/?hl=en&taken-by=hazel_findlay

Here's a 5.14 climber struggling to top out the campus board on the large rungs, possibly relevant to the current topic.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

armorer posted:

To be clear, "Just climb more" is great advice for new climbers. It's complete rubbish advice for people trying to climb >=5.12, or boulder hard like V10.

Would you say it doesn't make sense to try and lose weight until you can climb a V10 also cause it has the exact same effect.

The fact of the matter is climbing is a strength sport, bouldering especially, and all exercise science points to starting strength training early being the most effective method for long term training outcomes.

There is a reason the Canadian long term athlete development program for climbing starts bodyweight strength training for kids at age 8-9.

Climbing on its own just isn't an effective way to gain the strength used by climbing. Climbing involves strength at all arm angles, but in large part involves isometric holds or movements that just involve a small percentage of a joint's range of motion, not pulling through the entire length of the muscle. Isometric exercises only effectively increase strength for about 30 degrees of motion around the point its held. Full ROM strength exercises like pullups train strength through the muscle's entire length. Climbing also generally doesn't provide stress at a high enough intensity to most effectively increase strength. It also doesn't make it easy to progressively increase load or progressively train movements and track progress. Strength training does all this.

I'd also suggest strength training early is obviously the most efficient time to start doing it. Early on your finger tendons will tire long before upper body muscles will meaning there are plenty of times where you shouldn't be climbing to protect your fingers but could easily be doing exercises to continue gaining strength. If you can only climb twice a week without hurting your fingers why wouldn't you use a third day to work on strength in the other muscles involved?

Probably most importantly, not doing strength training is a really great way to end up with muscle imbalances resulting in injuries and joints that can't work effectively. Having stronger pushing muscles will make your pulling muscles work better because they help support the joint. I would assume no one in here would tell someone to avoid doing finger extensor exercises until they can climb V10s. Why would you tell them to avoid doing the same muscle balance work for the shoulder and elbow joints?

I just don't get the stubbornness around minimizing the importance of strength in climbing. Yes technique is almost always the weakest link for someone early on but that doesn't mean you should completely ignore the other factors involved in being a good climber. Otherwise you just end up with a new weakness later.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

pr0zac posted:

Would you say it doesn't make sense to try and lose weight until you can climb a V10 also cause it has the exact same effect.

The fact of the matter is climbing is a strength sport, bouldering especially, and all exercise science points to starting strength training early being the most effective method for long term training outcomes.

There is a reason the Canadian long term athlete development program for climbing starts bodyweight strength training for kids at age 8-9.

Climbing on its own just isn't an effective way to gain the strength used by climbing. Climbing involves strength at all arm angles, but in large part involves isometric holds or movements that just involve a small percentage of a joint's range of motion, not pulling through the entire length of the muscle. Isometric exercises only effectively increase strength for about 30 degrees of motion around the point its held. Full ROM strength exercises like pullups train strength through the muscle's entire length. Climbing also generally doesn't provide stress at a high enough intensity to most effectively increase strength. It also doesn't make it easy to progressively increase load or progressively train movements and track progress. Strength training does all this.

I'd also suggest strength training early is obviously the most efficient time to start doing it. Early on your finger tendons will tire long before upper body muscles will meaning there are plenty of times where you shouldn't be climbing to protect your fingers but could easily be doing exercises to continue gaining strength. If you can only climb twice a week without hurting your fingers why wouldn't you use a third day to work on strength in the other muscles involved?

Probably most importantly, not doing strength training is a really great way to end up with muscle imbalances resulting in injuries and joints that can't work effectively. Having stronger pushing muscles will make your pulling muscles work better because they help support the joint. I would assume no one in here would tell someone to avoid doing finger extensor exercises until they can climb V10s. Why would you tell them to avoid doing the same muscle balance work for the shoulder and elbow joints?

I just don't get the stubbornness around minimizing the importance of strength in climbing. Yes technique is almost always the weakest link for someone early on but that doesn't mean you should completely ignore the other factors involved in being a good climber. Otherwise you just end up with a new weakness later.

I think maybe you thought I was saying the opposite of what I was saying. I wrote one line of text and you inferred a whole bunch of nonsense that I don't agree with. If you look at my previous posts in this thread you'll see that I explicitly said losing weight is good several posts ago. My point was simply that if you're a strong enough climber to have identified a weakness that is holding you back, then train for that weakness. This is the approach recommended in some capacity in the Horst book that I believe I've also mentioned before. It can be summed up as "identify weakness, train to correct weakness, iterate." Sooo yeah, chill out dude.

Edit: For the record, I climb 3 days a week, run 2 or 3 days a week, and hit a regular gym 2 or 3 days a week where I either do strength training or I swim. I've also gone through periods of time where I did regular hangboard training in the past although I'm not doing it at the moment. I'm not in peak climbing shape right now because I've been doing a lot of strength training work that specifically doesn't contribute to climbing ability, but that was a purposeful decision on my part. And I mentioned v10 because OP specifically mentioned V10.

armorer fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 22, 2018

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Man I knew I shouldn't have mentioned grades, I'm interested in training 1-armed pull-ups for the only pure reason: to get more Instagram likes.

pr0zac posted:

I don't yet have a one arm pullup but am currently training for one also with two days a week on strength focus (on top of my climbing where I'm focused on technique). One day dedicated to volume with high rep pullup sets and one dedicated to intensity with weighted pullup sets of 3-5 (start at 3 reps at a weight, go up 2.5-5lbs when I hit 5+ reps a set). Basically applying Texas method weekly linear programming to pullups if you know weightlifting stuff. I've been increasing at least by a weighted rep a set a week which isn't bad.

Also don't forget to do pushups or dips as well. Having the balancing strength will help you get stronger and will greatly reduce your chances of getting injured.

What you're doing is basically what Horst recommends starting with in his videos until 1/3 to 1/2 additional body weight. I think the only interesting part Horst recommends is using the sling for assistance in the last little push to actually get to the 1-arm pull-up, which is a nice idea to do really offset pull-ups. I have a pulley system to remove weight on my hang board but it's kind of a pain in the rear end to set up and the sling thing looks way more convenient and something I might actually do instead of staring at my pulley and deciding to do something else.

Part of my problem I think is in the past I was always coming back to climbing after getting bored of weightlifting and then I'd get hurt climbing or burn out and go back to lifting etc. This is the first time I've gone this long (about 3 years now + maybe a year of relative inactivity prior) where I'm just climbing with maybe a little running. When I started back again I decided I was just going to climb because I enjoy that a lot more than training and I figured I was getting old and I wouldn't care how quickly I was progressing. Even ignoring my progress I'm just starting to get a little imbalanced and I need to start doing something besides just climbing.

My plan is to do core + prehab shoulder stuff/pushups + box jumps (or maybe something else, anyone got a recommendation for working your vertical I could do at home? I am awful at jumping or generating explosive power out of my legs) + progression towards 1-arm pull-ups a couple times/week. Right now I climb tues/thurs/sat/sun for ~3 hours, though I take long rests and get distracted bullshitting with people so it isn't really as long as it sounds. I have to drop down to sat/sun + 1 day and under 2 hours/day which is why I'm looking to add some other days doing things I can do at home.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Part of the problem is that strength training for climbing should overwhelmingly focus on finger strength for most reasonably fit people, but then you hear about people doing a lot of barbell work or trying to do OACs as their strength training for climbing. Not that deadlifting or OAC will hurt your climbing, but it’s probably not the weakness that’s holding you back or the best use of your presumably limited time.

But yeah I’m a big advocate for starting (smart, safe) finger strength training earlier than later. The key is to not get too sucked into it for its own sake and prioritize climbing on real rock as much as possible (assuming that’s the ultimate objective here).

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

what if my goal is to just be the best indoor bouldering climber i can be with no care for the outdoors

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

Kasumeat posted:

I just started climbing and I'm really loving it, but how do you do this as an old (early thirties) without owning yourself? After my third day of it:

Is there anything other than the usual RICER I can do now? Do I just have to accept that my body can't do this sport?

I started climbing at age 32, I'm 185lbs and wasn't exactly fit when I started

I climb low 11s at the gym, I futz around on low 10s outside, and have a lot of fun loving around on sub-5.8 trad. I don't have a lot of faith that I'll be able to hit higher than 5.11 on real rock.

I've observed that when you're climbing later on without the decades of tendon strength you need to modulate your expectations. Sure there's guys in their 50s cranking in 5.13s, but that probably won't be you.

Instead just learn to have fun, celebrate small gains, and find other ways of having a hoot. Maybe take up route development or help cleaning crags. Work towards easy aid climbing or just fart around and the smoke bluffs in between beers.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Yeah you're probably right.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

pfizerman posted:

I started climbing at age 32, I'm 185lbs and wasn't exactly fit when I started

I climb low 11s at the gym, I futz around on low 10s outside, and have a lot of fun loving around on sub-5.8 trad. I don't have a lot of faith that I'll be able to hit higher than 5.11 on real rock.

I've observed that when you're climbing later on without the decades of tendon strength you need to modulate your expectations. Sure there's guys in their 50s cranking in 5.13s, but that probably won't be you.

Instead just learn to have fun, celebrate small gains, and find other ways of having a hoot. Maybe take up route development or help cleaning crags. Work towards easy aid climbing or just fart around and the smoke bluffs in between beers.

If you want to climb harder than easy 5.11, you almost certainly can. The problem at a certain age is that it takes comparatively more time investment because your metabolism slows down and the risk of injury is higher. I'm in my late 30s, started climbing only a few years younger than you did, and with training I can send 5.12. If I left the training slack (which I have), I fall back into hard 5.11 (outdoor sport lead). I'm fairly sure that if I trained hard and kept that up for a year or two I could get into hard 5.12 and maybe even 13a. That said, I have a career desk job with a long commute, a big group of non-climber friends, live in an area with poor options for outdoor climbing, have several other hobbies that require significant time, and I honestly just don't care that much about chasing the grade. So I wouldn't rule it out if it's something that you genuinely want to do, but you will definitely have to make structural life changes at a certain point to progress if you're older.

From past experience, it would take me about 3 months to get from my current climbing shape to be able to send 12a again. That time would be spent with a big uptick in cardio and a better diet so I could drop 10-15 pounds (which is hard for me to keep off for extended periods of time). I would add in at least one, but maybe two hangboard sessions a week, and spend a lot less time in the gym climbing sport lead and more time doing bouldering drills like 4x4s. Towards the end of it I'd switch back to more lead but focus on long pumpy routes to regain whatever endurance I lost. That's because for me on harder lead routes the difficulty tends to be making clips off lovely holds (hangboard training helps this) and power (4x4 training helps this). Someone with different issues would be better served by a different focus.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

A lot of good stuff here.

I also didn’t get into climbing until later, and even then it was mostly social - never with GAINZ in mind.

It wasn’t until my late-30s that I actually gave a poo poo about progression, and I didn’t really train hard until five-ish years ago.

Workouts are Olympic lifting 1/week, hangboard 2-3/week on a 3on-3off week schedule, and climbing at the gym (bouldering) 2-3/week with periodic systemboard training 1-2/week when I can fit in a quick 30min session. Changed my diet and lost 20 pounds as well.

And even then it’s only gotten me to the point of maybe getting my first V9. :(

There’s only so much training will do - and after I nab this V9, I highly doubt I’ll train as hard again. Now that I’m an old man outdoors/at the gym, I just want to climb fun problems and drink beer. :3:

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

armorer posted:

I'm fairly sure that if I trained hard and kept that up for a year or two I could get into hard 5.12 and maybe even 13a.

I loving wish this was true for me. I'm super obsessed with climbing right, and would happily devote 100% of my free time to training. But the biggest problem for me is how injury prone I seem to be with this sport. Besides the brachioradialis injury which seems to have healed, since my last climbing session, over a week ago, my fingers still haven't recovered fully, and now I've reaggravated a herniated disc (by sleeping awkwardly) which will probably keep me from climbing at all for a couple of weeks, and I won't be 100% for a couple months). Losing the genetic lottery will always take precedence over hard work and it's probably just better to accept that I'll never be able to climb past 5.11 than to torment myself by dreaming about being a decent climber one day.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I'm not big on supplements, but I've found that ingesting large quantities of fish oil when I'm training hard helps me keep joint pain to a minimum. If you have serious past injuries like a herniated disk, dislocated shoulder, torn tendons, whatever, then yeah you obviously have to contend with those things as well. I have had a number of overuse injuries from climbing but none of them have been severe. There are things you can do specifically to target injury prevention if needed, but they vary pretty widely based on what exactly you're looking to prevent. Warming up sufficiently is the obvious #1. I typically up and downclimb several v0 and v1 problems at the start of every session, then rest 3 to 5 minutes, and do it again. At that point I'll work my way up v2, v3, etc for a few climbs before I really start to try hard.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

armorer posted:

I'm not big on supplements, but I've found that ingesting large quantities of fish oil when I'm training hard helps me keep joint pain to a minimum.

Similar to this post but (anecdotally for sure) back when I was lifting regularly, and now that I'm climbing regularly, I've found that taking fish oil and turmeric daily has kept a lot of joint pain at bay.

It's still no substitute for proper stretching and warm up though.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I wish we could indicate, scientifically, to any degree of certainty whether fish oil/turmeric actually work.

I haven't seen anything other than anecdotes. . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I mean they're both relatively cheap and have no real side-affects so there's no real harm in trying them out and seeing if they work for you. Even if it's the placebo effect in action who cares if they help? :shrug: