Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Sdoots posted:

Has the level progression used in Ion Maiden been done before? Each level is multiple maps "stitched" together, and retains their individual state (items taken, enemies killed, events triggered, etc) regardless of the player occupying it.

As I wrote this I realized this is actually how tons of games do things, it just stood out to me here because of the tech aspect. (The maps are legitimately big as hell, though)

I might be being dumb but didn't Quake 2 do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, this tech isn't new even among its era of inspiration, but this is its first time in a BUILD project. Maybe some eDuke32 mod did stuff with it first, but I am so out of date about that side of the world...

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Convex posted:

I might be being dumb but didn't Quake 2 do that?

Yep. Also Ultima Underworld 1/2, System Shock, and Pathways into Darkness. And I think it's conceptually possible in Quake 1.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Prime Target had it, too - while it played fairly linearly, there were parts with backtracking where you'd need keycards or what have you to access previously unaccessible areas.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/KaiserBeamz/status/976113862264139780

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Sdoots posted:

Has the level progression used in Ion Maiden been done before? Each level is multiple maps "stitched" together, and retains their individual state (items taken, enemies killed, events triggered, etc) regardless of the player occupying it.

As I wrote this I realized this is actually how tons of games do things, it just stood out to me here because of the tech aspect. (The maps are legitimately big as hell, though)

Half Life 1 and 2.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
For those of you who were wondering (you probably weren't, but...), Klingon Honor Guard was the best game of this set, not that that's a huge hurdle to climb. From some ancient iteration of the PC Gamer website:

T. Liam McDonald posted:

As the first Star Trek action game, fans and gamers had a right to expect something more than a faintly modified Unreal experience. With the power of Unreal and the depth of the Klingon universe, MicroProse had within its grasp the ability to make the Trek equivalent of Jedi Knight. Instead, it’s made something that in many ways doesn’t even measure up to the old user-made, unofficial Aliens and Star Wars Total Conversions for Doom. If you’re an avid Trekkie, there are worse ways to spend your gaming dollar (Starfleet Academy, Generations, Borg…actually, all of them except 25th Anniversary). But this is really just an average-to-poor effort, and from a major company with a strong licensed engine at its disposal, that’s inexcusable.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

It's appropriate in that Reservoir Dogs was about a plan that went horribly wrong and resulted in everyone dying

\/\/ hey the Voodoo 2 was loving great though. Could even run a horribly butchered version ofDoom 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUVXAl0dgYY

Convex fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 20, 2018

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I don't even have to read the magazine to know that the Riva TNT 2 would have been the 3D card for me.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

DoombatINC posted:

Prime Target had it, too - while it played fairly linearly, there were parts with backtracking where you'd need keycards or what have you to access previously unaccessible areas.

Prime Target is one of my great unplayed games, as I was never to track it and a proper emulator down. Was it any good at all?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

Prime Target is one of my great unplayed games, as I was never to track it and a proper emulator down. Was it any good at all?
It runs about as well as you can get it to run in SheepShaver, but you'll probably have to punch SheepShaver a bit to get it to work on modern platforms. I recall mouse aiming being wonky as gently caress too, but that's an engine problem...

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Narcissus1916 posted:

It's really solid, actually. Fun weapons, great enemy variety, super polished, and some of my favorite functional, "real world" levels in a 2.5D game. I think the only reason it's not talked about more is a combination of obscurity and emulation difficulty. It doesn't like playing on anything that's not an honest to god PPC chip from the late 90s or early 00s - even my '00 iMac has quirks with it.

Edit: and the aesthetic is somewhere between "eighties Canon Films action movie" and "eighties Godfrey Ho ninja movie" and I wish I was playing it again right now

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 21, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
:darksouls: in Heretic: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/99993-the-iron-forge-a-xasernot-jabba-collab-map-public-beta-please-test/

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

fishmech posted:

A3D got adopted into EAX as a result of the A3D people getting massively sued in the 90s. EAX is still directly supported today in a few of Creative's standalone audio cards, should you really want that.

The software emulation used for those cards can be hacked to work with other modern sound cards, but it's tricky. Additionally if you're running Linux there's support for part of EAX's functionality on any sound card when running Windows games that used it through WINE.
Based on my research earlier today, that isn't actually particularly true; Creative did an implementation of A3D 1.0 (no idea how good an implementation, but an implementation nonetheless), but A3D 2.0 remains locked to actual Aureal Vortex 2 sound cards, and A3D 2.0 is significantly more impressive (see HolyKrap's video).

Though getting EAX working is nice in and of itself, of course. I don't actually have a Creative sound card in this rig, and in this day and age I'm not sure it's really worth getting a dedicated Creative sound card (you get, what, a better DAC? I'm sure that's great for an audiophile, I dunno that I'm quite there yet), so I dunno that I could really take advantage of hardware-based EAX or anything.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I say we all ebay up some of those cards and convince some sv techbro to buy the licensing because something something blochchain

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shadow Hog posted:

Based on my research earlier today, that isn't actually particularly true; Creative did an implementation of A3D 1.0 (no idea how good an implementation, but an implementation nonetheless), but A3D 2.0 remains locked to actual Aureal Vortex 2 sound cards, and A3D 2.0 is significantly more impressive (see HolyKrap's video).

Though getting EAX working is nice in and of itself, of course. I don't actually have a Creative sound card in this rig, and in this day and age I'm not sure it's really worth getting a dedicated Creative sound card (you get, what, a better DAC? I'm sure that's great for an audiophile, I dunno that I'm quite there yet), so I dunno that I could really take advantage of hardware-based EAX or anything.

What I was getting at is that later versions of EAX included tech involved in A3D. Proper A3D you don't really have on anything anymore.

The recent Creative cards don't actually have hardware support for EAX, what they have is a paired software that directs the card how to emulate it. Painstaking poking around can force the software to run on normal modern sound cards to do the EAX stuff.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Contra Doom is a loving blast. No health, no damage sectors, no hitscans, three lives (with bonuses at 20K and every 60K after, of course), just fast-paced action based heavily on Contra III. The music's also super good- some of it's not Contra, like that :krad: version of "Vampire Killer" in E1M9. There's also a bunch of CVARs for adjusting various stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ntdiRs5KgE

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pope Guilty posted:

Contra Doom is a loving blast. No health, no damage sectors, no hitscans, three lives (with bonuses at 20K and every 60K after, of course), just fast-paced action based heavily on Contra III. The music's also super good- some of it's not Contra, like that :krad: version of "Vampire Killer" in E1M9. There's also a bunch of CVARs for adjusting various stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ntdiRs5KgE

Was it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNzcqhSzrnQ

Let me tell you; it was a special goddamned day when I found this secret (on my own!) and heard this track playing.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Was it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNzcqhSzrnQ

Let me tell you; it was a special goddamned day when I found this secret (on my own!) and heard this track playing.

Woah, yeah! I had no idea that even existed. That's absolutely the track.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DoombatINC posted:

It's really solid, actually. Fun weapons, great enemy variety, super polished, and some of my favorite functional, "real world" levels in a 2.5D game. I think the only reason it's not talked about more is a combination of obscurity and emulation difficulty. It doesn't like playing on anything that's not an honest to god PPC chip from the late 90s or early 00s - even my '00 iMac has quirks with it.

Edit: and the aesthetic is somewhere between "eighties Canon Films action movie" and "eighties Godfrey Ho ninja movie" and I wish I was playing it again right now

Prime Target also has some pretty great box art.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

https://twitter.com/DooMedSloMarine/status/975823040176148480

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Outside of DOOM 2016, which I loving loved, what are some good FPS titles that have come out recently, new or old school, that really have superb gun feel and gameplay flow? Wolfenstein Old Blood, with a few tweaks, would probably be my favourite FPS shooting system ever, but I'm open to arcadey stuff like DOOM 2016 as well. Ion Maiden looks fun.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Arcsquad12 posted:

Outside of DOOM 2016, which I loving loved, what are some good FPS titles that have come out recently, new or old school, that really have superb gun feel and gameplay flow? Wolfenstein Old Blood, with a few tweaks, would probably be my favourite FPS shooting system ever, but I'm open to arcadey stuff like DOOM 2016 as well. Ion Maiden looks fun.

I can't recommend DUSK enough, it scratched my old school shooter itch better than the real thing did

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

ok so for everyone on the fence with Amid Evil, stick with it to episode 2. the monster design in episode 1 blows, but they get a lot more creative in episode 2. looks like each episode has their own set of monsters, its not just knights for the whole game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

juggalo baby coffin posted:

ok so for everyone on the fence with Amid Evil, stick with it to episode 2. the monster design in episode 1 blows, but they get a lot more creative in episode 2. looks like each episode has their own set of monsters, its not just knights for the whole game.

That's definitely an important detail to point out, especially because of how generic Episode 1's bestiary is. Episode 2 throws Beholder/Cthulhu-esque blobs and tentacles occupying suits of armor at you, and it's like, "oh okay they can aim for something a little different." My understanding of Episode 3 is that the enemies become pretty generic fantasy again (like rock golems) but hopefully there's more weird stuff in subsequent episodes.

The main thing that concerns me about this concept is that locking each episode down to 3-4 enemy types may get stale fast. One of my favorite things about Doom II is that it's got a pretty perfect assortment of enemies, and while you're not obliged to utilize them all in a single map (or even episode/WAD) there are tons of potential combinations to help create some challenging fights. You lose a lot of that potential when you build a system where you've only got 3 or 4 enemies to choose from at any given moment.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 21, 2018

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

AnEdgelord posted:

I can't recommend DUSK enough, it scratched my old school shooter itch better than the real thing did
My only complaint with Dusk is the way they implemented bunny hopping. In Quake or Half-Life you're exploiting a bug to gain speed with a combination of strafing and certain mouse movements. It takes a bit of practice to actually get what keys you need to press and when. In Dusk you just run diagonally and tap space. it doesn't feel as satisfying to pull off, and as long as you keep tapping space you'll never lose your momentum. You're not really doing anything special other than giving yourself a sore thumb, so it makes me wonder why it's even necessary.
It's a small issue anyway, and it's only really a problem in multiplayer cause you're always on the move. Become a pro and save your thumbs, use a spacebar macro.

That being said it's still worth it for the singleplayer alone, I had a lot of fun with episode 2

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Also, since it didn't get posted here: The Windows Steam version of the Turok 1 remaster has a public beta going for an upcoming patch, adding the various under the hood improvements from Turok 2 and the Xbox ports, as well as an alternate soundtrack and a Time Trial mode for the training course.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Nothing will ever be as bad as the bunnyhopping in Painkiller where you had to mash the spacebar 24/7 unless you wanted to be stuck with the slow as poo poo regular movement. The main character's lone jumping sound effect still remains within me to this day.

The majority of secrets required abusing it too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Guillermus posted:

What would be a nice mapset for GMOTA? Most of the stuff I have have tech bases.
I just asked the developer, and he recommends Scythe 1 and 2, Castle Nevermore, Brotherhood of Ruin and, while not thematically appropriate, The Vrack Trilogy.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Prime Target has been on my gaming bucket for at least a solid six years, and I finally got it working in sheepshaver. It took me entirely too long to get it working as I'm not tech savvy at all, but I muddled my way through it.

And yeah, its freakin' rad. I couldn't get my mouse or the background music working, but gunplay is appropriately heavy. And there's a ton of small details that really carry it through. This is basically a full-length Duke It Out in DC, and I could not be happier.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

I just asked the developer, and he recommends Scythe 1 and 2, Castle Nevermore, Brotherhood of Ruin and, while not thematically appropriate, The Vrack Trilogy.

Thanks! More stuff for my huge doom collection. Played some GMOTA with Scythe 2 and is drat cool. Digging the doomslayer :getin:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Damage Incorporated is also worth a shot if you're going through old Mac/Marathon Engine stuff. Commanding a squad to blast white-supremacists while shouting Sabbath lyrics is always a good time. There's also a Windows 95 version, but, uh, good loving luck getting it to run on modern machines.

It also has this blasting on the title screen for no reason other than why not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJkkU6Oj6Bo

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Spoke too soon. Prime Target kept crashing on level 7, eventually taking down my entire copy of Sheepshaver and my saves.

Definitely don't feel like re-installing the OS, playing all the way back to where I was, knowing full well it'll either crash at that level or crap out another time.

Shame too, it was definitely satisfying my early fps itch. Good thing I've got a backlog a mile high...

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Lemon-Lime posted:

I just want a mapset with some bright colours so it fits GMOTA/Bullet-Eye's SNES trappings. :(

bit late, but ancient aliens is basically this to a tee

along those lines, how the gently caress does one get through map15 wormhole junction in aa, i can't possibly be this bad at doom :(

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Kins posted:

Damage Incorporated is also worth a shot if you're going through old Mac/Marathon Engine stuff. Commanding a squad to blast white-supremacists while shouting Sabbath lyrics is always a good time. There's also a Windows 95 version, but, uh, good loving luck getting it to run on modern machines.

It also has this blasting on the title screen for no reason other than why not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJkkU6Oj6Bo

The people who made Damage Incorporated were huge metalheads, there's a shoutout to Manowar in the manual.

There's also the third licensed Marathon game, ZPC, which is much harder to find than the other two but had all its art designed by the guy who does KMFDM's album covers.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tim Thomas posted:

bit late, but ancient aliens is basically this to a tee

along those lines, how the gently caress does one get through map15 wormhole junction in aa, i can't possibly be this bad at doom :(

how did this pain face get here i am not good at dodging :smith:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Ion Maiden is now on GOG. If it's anything like the 3DR version, though, you'll probably have to wait on patches since the developers can post updates on Steam directly but have to go through middlemen elsewhere.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Here's a weird one for the experts here, but I figure there's enough passion projects being done that it could exist.

Has there ever been any work done to port the Mega Drive/Genesis game Zero Tolerance to PC? It wasn't particularly noteworthy for anything other than being a functional FPS on a console that was designed to play the farthest thing from an FPS, however it could be kind of interesting if someone managed a mock-up of it in idTech 1 or Build.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sdoots posted:

Here's a weird one for the experts here, but I figure there's enough passion projects being done that it could exist.

Has there ever been any work done to port the Mega Drive/Genesis game Zero Tolerance to PC? It wasn't particularly noteworthy for anything other than being a functional FPS on a console that was designed to play the farthest thing from an FPS, however it could be kind of interesting if someone managed a mock-up of it in idTech 1 or Build.
I don't believe so. The closest thing I've seen is a level editor someone made.

You can, however, legally download the Genesis ROM for free from the rights holder's site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sdoots posted:

I'd download the poo poo out of this :toot: