Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i'm glad armin got better because i hated his rear end in the beginning

you useless little poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

logikv9 posted:

i'm glad armin got better because i hated his rear end in the beginning

you useless little poo poo

You can say that about every character not named Ackerman

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I was rewatching season 1 of the anime and I just had the thought Why didn't Annie eat Eren when she took him hostage? They knew he at least had the attack titan, and they must have known that eating him would take it's power for themselves. If their goal was to bring those titan powers back to marly's side that seems like the obvious choice.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Saagonsa posted:

I was rewatching season 1 of the anime and I just had the thought Why didn't Annie eat Eren when she took him hostage? They knew he at least had the attack titan, and they must have known that eating him would take it's power for themselves. If their goal was to bring those titan powers back to marly's side that seems like the obvious choice.

They probably had orders not to do that so that they could choose a more suited inheritor of that power at their discretion.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think they did. remember reiner throwing titans at eren to get him eaten? they would have preferred to capture him but they weren't limited to that. iirc they knew he had the attack titan but they didn't know he had the coordinator and the later is what they wanted. also annie seemed to be wavering, or at least suffering a lot from guilt

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah, you're right. That's a better explanation.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
For the same reason Bert and Reiner don't eat Eren when they capture him later: you can't split titan powers under the inheritance system. It would be significantly more strategically valuable to bring Eren back, interrogate him on what he knows, then feed him to one of Marley's warrior candidates to obtain a new shifter, than to merge the Coordinate into the Armored or Colossal holders.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think they did. remember reiner throwing titans at eren to get him eaten? they would have preferred to capture him but they weren't limited to that. iirc they knew he had the attack titan but they didn't know he had the coordinator and the later is what they wanted. also annie seemed to be wavering, or at least suffering a lot from guilt

Eren getting eaten by a random titan would've still transferred his power to a different holder, which Marley could've then secured to then put on one of their warriors.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 19, 2018

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

They might not have known they could eat another shifter and gain their powers. There is no precedent of it happening. It would be just as likely for them to just kill them and have the power end up in a random child somewhere.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Everyone knows if one shifter eats another shifter the two powers fight within them and they explode.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Saagonsa posted:

It's a good question, the same could be asked about when Reiner and Bertolt kidnap Eren and why they brought Ymir back to Marley rather than just eating her themselves, some potential answers:
1. Annie is in love with Eren, and didn't want to kill him.
2. Holding two (or more) titan forms disrupts Marley's whole policy of passing the forms on from one warrior to the next. If Annie ate Eren, her successor would inherit three titans instead of just one. That might make for a super powerful titan but by concentrating so many forms in one person, it limits the tactical flexibility provided by the different forms (and I imagine some forms would conflict - like if someone inherited the Cart Titan and the Colossal Titan would they be a gigantic steaming quadraped who could barely move?) This would continue with each successive warrior until somewhere down the line a warrior is allowed to die without being consumed and their titans are randomly inherited by newborn Eldians via ~paths~ - and there's no guarantee that would separate them again, come to think of it. Maybe once two titan forms are united in a single Eldian, it's permanent.
3. There is some as-of-yet unrevealed downside to holding two (or more) titans. I don't believe this to be the case - since Eren seems to have no issue with holding the Founding and Attack Titan and is currently trying to consume the Warhammer as well - but it's worth considering.
4. Perhaps a bit of a cop out but: the warriors were only tasked with recovering the Founding Titan and they follow orders. They didn't eat Eren or Ymir because they wanted to let the Marley officers decide.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

They might not have known they could eat another shifter and gain their powers. There is no precedent of it happening. It would be just as likely for them to just kill them and have the power end up in a random child somewhere.

But they had to eat the female/armored/colossal titan carriers before them to become shifters in the first place, didn't they?

Them keeping him alive for the strategic reasons does make sense though, I forgot that the attack and founding titan would be stuck with the female titan always if she did eat him.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Their goal in going to paradise was strictly to bring the founding titan back. At the time that Eren reveals his power for the first time (and until season 2 when Eren punches the smiling titan) they have no idea that he's got the founding titan, they just know he's one of the shifters.

During the female titan arc, they still don't know for sure where the founding titan power is, so Annie kidnapping Eren is a way for them to interrogate the person they assume has the most knowledge about shifters. Unfortunately for them Eren doesn't know jack poo poo, and they never get to pick his brain about it anyways.

When Reiner and Bert decide to take Eren back, they still don't know that he's the founding titan. Reiner is just having a breakdown and they try to cut their losses, and attempt to come back home with at least the attack and jaw titans.
I imagine that bringing back another shifter that Marley can interrogate is a better outcome than the alternatives at that point. Once Reiner realizes that Eren is too crazy for him to simply kidnap, he starts throwing titans at him hoping one of them will eat Eren so they can take whichever mindless titan eats him back instead. This is worse because that mindless titan won't have information, but it's better than nothing.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

JahRoo posted:

This is worse because that mindless titan won't have information, but it's better than nothing.

It would have access to Eren's memories though, as well as all the previous holders. I'm sure they could extract something.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Saagonsa posted:

But they had to eat the female/armored/colossal titan carriers before them to become shifters in the first place, didn't they?

Them keeping him alive for the strategic reasons does make sense though, I forgot that the attack and founding titan would be stuck with the female titan always if she did eat him.

I mean having a titan-shifter eat another titan-shifter. I doubt Marley has done that before.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

In It For The Tank posted:

It's a good question, the same could be asked about when Reiner and Bertolt kidnap Eren and why they brought Ymir back to Marley rather than just eating her themselves, some potential answers:
1. Annie is in love with Eren, and didn't want to kill him.
2. Holding two (or more) titan forms disrupts Marley's whole policy of passing the forms on from one warrior to the next. If Annie ate Eren, her successor would inherit three titans instead of just one. That might make for a super powerful titan but by concentrating so many forms in one person, it limits the tactical flexibility provided by the different forms (and I imagine some forms would conflict - like if someone inherited the Cart Titan and the Colossal Titan would they be a gigantic steaming quadraped who could barely move?) This would continue with each successive warrior until somewhere down the line a warrior is allowed to die without being consumed and their titans are randomly inherited by newborn Eldians via ~paths~ - and there's no guarantee that would separate them again, come to think of it. Maybe once two titan forms are united in a single Eldian, it's permanent.
3. There is some as-of-yet unrevealed downside to holding two (or more) titans. I don't believe this to be the case - since Eren seems to have no issue with holding the Founding and Attack Titan and is currently trying to consume the Warhammer as well - but it's worth considering.
4. Perhaps a bit of a cop out but: the warriors were only tasked with recovering the Founding Titan and they follow orders. They didn't eat Eren or Ymir because they wanted to let the Marley officers decide.

Annie may have been thinking that if she brings back Eren alive he gets eaten by someone else, but if she consumes him *she* might get eaten instead.

No idea if that would have actually happened but it might have been a reason for her to hold back.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Kitiara posted:

Annie may have been thinking that if she brings back Eren alive he gets eaten by someone else, but if she consumes him *she* might get eaten instead.

No idea if that would have actually happened but it might have been a reason for her to hold back.

Great point. While I have no idea whether it would have happened either, I'm sure Annie was placing her money on it now, especially after Reiner convinced them to stay.

Annie lied about several things, but I'm sure she's sincere about what she considers her selfish self-preservation.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ah thank everyone so much for spoiler tags! It's super kind of you! I think I'll read the manga when the anime releases in July(?) or as soon as I catch up on season two if I get a job tomorrow. Wanna buy them premium physical releases.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It pains me to say this, as an anime liker, but it's probably for the best that the job takes priority.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder how many titan powers you could fit in one person? Like could you make an armoured colossal attack beast warhammer tian?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Speculation:

[quote="Say Nothing" post=""482327243" spoiler"]
Speculation
[/quote]

Don’t you get Ymir Fritz? Like I figured maybe that’s where this is ultimately heading.

Edit: so I would bet this isn’t the last arc and we have something major left to drop relating to the origin of Titan powers, and some final conclusion resulting in either restoring a lot of people from Titanhood or just ending titanification as a thing. I also wouldn’t be surprised if this requires restoring all the powers into one individual, but I also think there may be some kind of an out for Armin/Eren (probably not both).

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 20, 2018

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
The two people above me should spoiler tag their posts. I know it's only speculation, but it's speculation based on info that our new viewers reading the thread don't have.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Genuinely super wonderful that people have been spoiler tagging things even though I am the one way behind. I've decided to read the manga whenever I catch up on the anime but figure it's probably best to dip the thread until then. I figure I had one amazing twist ahead of time, no need to tempt the fates with another. Catch you later my pals :sun:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Live reactions are fun tho; don't stop.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Conspiratiorist posted:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I convinced a pal to watch the anime with me but we've gone back to the start, she's traumatised already after the first episode. I'll definitely live blog my reactions to the big things for sure!

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Don't google anything, especially the basement and the titans, cause the wiki pages will be their names.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Just don't Google anything related to this series if you care about spoilers, the results pages and previews will have spoilers.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
If you do get spoiled though just keep on going, the real grittiness is in the details between points A and B

The show itself does a pretty poo poo job when you see what the episodes themselves are called too

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't remember actually reading any of the episode titles. is it like dragon ball levels of spoiling the entire episode?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't remember actually reading any of the episode titles. is it like dragon ball levels of spoiling the entire episode?

"Female Titan" and "Beast Titan" are the only two I think

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

I convinced a pal to watch the anime with me but we've gone back to the start, she's traumatised already after the first episode. I'll definitely live blog my reactions to the big things for sure!

Watch the live action version if you want her be traumatized more:D

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

We don't get to watch stuff together as often as I'd like so will still each it together when we have time but in also gonna continue watching myself. I'm so insanely hype after seeing everyone's reaction to Eren starting to carry the boulder. Protect my boy! :black101:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

gently caress OFF MILITARY POLICE BITCH OH MY GOD

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
EmmyOk, thank you.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Current character interactions I'd like to see.

Annie and Mikasa. I feel like they're both insanely talented and Annie would have ranked higher if she tried more in the academy. I'd also like to get her thoughts on Mikasa.

Mikasa and Levi. I suspect I'll get this soon

Pyxis and scout girl who's horny for violence.

I wonder if Annie was apologising to that dead body because she's a baddy and knows it's her fault.

e: Levi's house cleaning clothes are my new aesthetic

e2: I bet the secret titans killed the test subjects not someone upset about titans.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 24, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

IMO the Military Tribunal is when the series really starts - everything before it was prologue.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

So I guess Arven(?) is revealing so much info to bait the secret titans. That must be who "the true enemy is". Also why Armin was guessing he must be baiting someone by mentioning the basement so publicly. Also Levi also mentioned some people think the colossal and armoured titans must be like Eren bit this hasn't been brought up so directly since. Also looks like titan Annie is in the next episode!

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

EmmyOk posted:

So I guess Arven(?) is revealing so much info to bait the secret titans. That must be who "the true enemy is". Also why Armin was guessing he must be baiting someone by mentioning the basement so publicly. Also Levi also mentioned some people think the colossal and armoured titans must be like Eren bit this hasn't been brought up so directly since. Also looks like titan Annie is in the next episode!

I think you mean Erwin, with the question mark name. The blonde leader of the Scouts, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Erwin is a badass.