Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubus_chamaemorus

Cloudberries are amazing. They grow mostly in subarctic areas and look like yellow/orange raspberries with bigger 'cells'. Best use of them is to make jam out of them, smells real funky as you're cooking them up but is heavenly served as a hot syrup on vanilla ice cream. I now need to try it with this Finnish cheese thing.

You can easily get cloudberry jam from ikea etc. but be warned, it's waaaaaaay too sweet and not very cloudberry-ish, I guess because they try to stretch the cloudberry. AFAIK you still can't cultivate them at any reasonable scale for export.

We get some every year or two from my uncle's partner :)

edit: the 'funky' smell as you cook them isn't bad actually, just very individual.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
We have cloudberries here as well (Newfoundland), we also call them bakeapples.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Jose linked me to this thread so please hold him responsible for anything I may post. I will be posting many meats.

I made this last night. 30 day aged t-bone sous vided for 2 hours at 132.8f, then dried and searzalled. Basmati rice cooked in pork stock, and garden veggies in a light dressing.

bonus fire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqyEUAOr1YI

chia
Dec 23, 2005

hankki posted:

Not meaning to nit pick here by any chance but I just have to correct that it is in fact the other way around, so leipäjuusto. Leipä meaning bread and juusto meaning cheese. It is actually a pretty versatile ingredient which can successfully (YMMV) be used in indian cuisine in place of paneer cheese and it also works great on stir fries and woks. Traditionally here in Finland it is often baked with cream and just when its inner parts get to that good oozing point, you take it out and serve it with cloudberries.

Sandwich looks great by the way, gotta try to mimic something similar soon because I just started craving bread cheese. Thanks.

It’s both, to be fair. In Itä-Suomi (Kainuu at least) it’s called juustoleipä and in Länsi-Suomi (other parts of Finland as well, I guess)it’s leipäjuusto.

Btw Casu Marzu where did you get it from or did you make it yourself? Awesome that someone knows about leipäjuusto/juustoleipä outside of Finland :)

chia fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 17, 2018

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
And in areas of lappland were meänkieli is spoken they call it kahvijuusto as they traditionally serve it with coffee.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Cooked 2.5 hours at 135 with salt, pepper, garlic powder and, a few sticks of thyme, then kissed on the grill after brushing a mix of red pepper, hot paprika, toum, maple syrup and, dijon mustard on it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Brined corn beef with spicy mustard and a bit of mayo (I hate 1k Island dressing) on dark rye. Last of my homemade bread and butter pickles, and the first of the red cabbage and caraway kraut I laid down in January.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
First time doing corned beef and cabbage with the instant pot, the corned beef is hiding in the pot with the Guinness and onions and garlic.
Will pull the corned beef after ninety minutes, then potatoes for three minutes, release, the rest for two minutes more.

Críochnaithe, it turned out fantastic, two hours from prep to finish, best corned beef and cabbage we have ever had, I love this instant pot.

Nhilist fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 18, 2018

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Brined corn beef with spicy mustard and a bit of mayo (I hate 1k Island dressing) on dark rye. Last of my homemade bread and butter pickles, and the first of the red cabbage and caraway kraut I laid down in January.

I am forever perplexed by brrad and butter pickles but I'm with you on thousand island dressing. Great looking sandwich though.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

Made a cassoulet to last me the week

Last time until next winter I guess :(

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I am forever perplexed by brrad and butter pickles but I'm with you on thousand island dressing. Great looking sandwich though.

I like 'em, and they're easy fridge pickles. Celery seed, mustard seed, turbinado sugar because I have a bunch of it sitting around (otherwise brown and white sugar), cider vinegar, salt, tumeric, and red pepper flake.

I'm a big fan of this red cabbage kraut. It came out great.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Always prefer a slow and low roast over a simmering for Corned Beef . Mash was greener in reality, thanks to a Parsley and Roast Garlic puree.

And there might have been snow on the ground yesterday morning, but it went and left us with a nice Spring day. And Spring means Grilling.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

chia posted:

It’s both, to be fair. In Itä-Suomi (Kainuu at least) it’s called juustoleipä and in Länsi-Suomi (other parts of Finland as well, I guess)it’s leipäjuusto.

Btw Casu Marzu where did you get it from or did you make it yourself? Awesome that someone knows about leipäjuusto/juustoleipä outside of Finland :)

I've been meaning to make it, it sounds pretty easy.

Wisconsin has a surprisingly not-insignificant Finnish population. I think there's 5 or 6 dairies in the state make their own.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I was mad at you guys for being mean to my tortillas but now I'm fully on board the toasting tortilla train.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Amazing how the same dish can look vastly different based on lighting, framing, and filters :)

Tomato and lima bean bake AKA "pizza beans", and garlic bread:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Some stuff I've cooked.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

BrianBoitano posted:

Amazing how the same dish can look vastly different based on lighting, framing, and filters :)

Tomato and lima bean bake AKA "pizza beans", and garlic bread:

Smitten kitchen? Looks good!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Cloks posted:

Yup! Thank you!

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

Agreed, it's like gigantes plaki but a bit more over the top

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

Gatts posted:

Some stuff I've cooked.

Gorgeous stuff all. Two questions:

- What is on the right side of the second picture beside the sausages (because I want to eat it even though I cannot make out what it is)?
- Where is malt vinegar on the table for those amazing looking fish and chips? :P

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mushroom and cauliflower tacos with chipotle cream and pickled things

Kenji's cast iron pizza. One with caramelized onion and mushrooms and goat cheese and figs, other with caramelized onion and mushrooms and salami.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Tell me how you did those mushrooms.

Also, can I come over?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Seared em hard, then braised in a mix of veg broth, garlic and mashed up chipotle in adobo. Simmered until the sauce is super thick. Finished with a squeeze of lime.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Made homemade chicken noodle soup for the first time! Simple, I know, but I'm proud.

(There's not that much of an overload on noodles overall, that was just a noodle-heavy bowl)

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

UNCUT PHILISTINE posted:

Made a cassoulet to last me the week

Last time until next winter I guess :(

gently caress yeah.

I made sopa al a minuta

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Made homemade chicken noodle soup for the first time! Simple, I know, but I'm proud.

(There's not that much of an overload on noodles overall, that was just a noodle-heavy bowl)

Simple is good. Love the shimmering chicken fat. Means there's gonna be some flavour there.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Nhilist posted:

Gorgeous stuff all. Two questions:

- What is on the right side of the second picture beside the sausages (because I want to eat it even though I cannot make out what it is)?
- Where is malt vinegar on the table for those amazing looking fish and chips? :P

That was kielbasa, bratwurst, and chicken sausage with loaded pierogi (bacon, chives, sour cream, chipotle cheddar cheese) and had whiskey dill kraut, dill pickles, brown mustard, ghost pepper sauce, and two types of Octoberfest beer.

The pierogi were first boiled then pan cooked for crisp and color.

Malt Vinegar was in the pantry and didn't catch it for the fish and chips. Welp. The tartar sauce was home-made with capers, cornichons, mayo, just a dab of sour cream, garlic, pink salt, white pepper, lemon juice and zest of lemon.

I made this recently with a different batter recipe and different recipe for tartar sauce involving dill and dijon mustard.

Casu Marzu posted:

Mushroom and cauliflower tacos with chipotle cream and pickled things

Kenji's cast iron pizza. One with caramelized onion and mushrooms and goat cheese and figs, other with caramelized onion and mushrooms and salami.

Dat pizza needs to back da fuq up.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 22, 2018

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Frying up some pork belly, when the meat's almost done I threw in some onions until they where soft.

Drippings are sauce for the potatoes, and dip for rye bread.
Shoulda had some lingonberry jam but alas it's all in the freezer when I remembered it, then we were already eating.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

His Divine Shadow posted:

lingonberry jam but alas it's all in the freezer .

:thunk:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I don't quite follow now... We made a bunch last year and froze it. It's just blended with sugar and not cooked so it's gotta be frozen. Still we even freeze cooked jam to be on the safe side.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
You mean pasteurized(or properly canned), not just cooked right?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

We just call it cooking jam since that's what we call it (koka sylt på svenska). Can't say I have given much thought to the technical terms in english. Berries are heated up with water and sugar, bbrought to a boil and then keep it going for 10-20 minutes. The jam gets to cool a little while before put in clean jars. Basically how everyone here in the nordic countries make jam AFAIK. It's supposed to be good enough to be kept just in a cool dark room like this until it's opened, but we just toss them in the freezer since we got room and it feels safer.

We use store bought "jam sugar" or "syltsocker" which contains additional stuff like potassium sorbate, pectins and citric acid.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 23, 2018

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

His Divine Shadow posted:

We just call it cooking jam since that's what we call it (koka sylt på svenska). Can't say I have given much thought to the technical terms in english. Berries are heated up with water and sugar, bbrought to a boil and then keep it going for 10-20 minutes. The jam gets to cool a little while before put in clean jars. Basically how everyone here in the nordic countries make jam AFAIK. It's supposed to be good enough to be kept just in a cool dark room like this until it's opened, but we just toss them in the freezer since we got room and it feels safer.

We use store bought "jam sugar" or "syltsocker" which contains additional stuff like potassium sorbate, pectins and citric acid.

We absolutely do this in Newfoundland as well, my grandmother has been making freezer jam for probably as long as freezers have existed.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
In English we call sterilizing the jars 'canning'. For jams my German opa would get a big pot of hot water (not boiling), put the glass jars in, wait a while, fill them with jam, then put the jams back in water to pasteurize them. Then the jams can sit on the shelf for like 12 months, no fridge/freezer needed.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 24, 2018

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Decided to try something different tonight and cook vegetarian. Turned out really good!

Roasted broccoli & quinoa, roasted asparagus w/ red pepper and lemon juice, and sauteed portabello mushrooms w/ shallot, garlic, and green onion. I heated some butter in a pan and threw in the garlic, shallot, and lower green onions, then threw in the mushrooms when that was fragrant along with some sprigs of rosemary and more butter. Then just cooked until the shrooms were nice and brown.

e: vv thanks :)

given how good this turned out I think I want to start cooking vegetarian at least once a week. I love indian food too so some curry w/ mushrooms instead of beef or lamb is gonna be good

kumba fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 25, 2018

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Vegetarian here. I'd crush that, good job.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
the juxtaposition of last night's dinner with tonight's - i went as far from vegetarian as possible: hot dogs

boar's head, all beef, natural casing. delicious. buns from publix bakery, because gently caress yeah fresh buns

chop up some leftover veg from last night. more shallot, green onion, and garlic

pan. butter.

add said veg, add salt and pepper, cook

throw them dogs in there. want to get the skin a lil brown without popping them. now, for the ultimate in hot dog toppings

accept no substitute. dump that bad boy in there

have a beer! while that poo poo is simmering, slice and toast your buns. now, it's assembly time

a line of yellow mustard on each toasted bun. then fish out your dogs and get them into the action

next, get all that delicious chili out of that pan, and top with more shallot and green onion

revel in your creation. you're the god drat king of the household, eat like it

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Hopefully the last wintery Sunday dinner for quite some time. Beer braised picnic shoulder, scallion mashed potatoes (champ?) with some doctored braising liquid and collard greens.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

kumba posted:

the juxtaposition of last night's dinner with tonight's - i went as far from vegetarian as possible: hot dogs

boar's head, all beef, natural casing. delicious. buns from publix bakery, because gently caress yeah fresh buns

chop up some leftover veg from last night. more shallot, green onion, and garlic

pan. butter.

add said veg, add salt and pepper, cook

throw them dogs in there. want to get the skin a lil brown without popping them. now, for the ultimate in hot dog toppings

accept no substitute. dump that bad boy in there

have a beer! while that poo poo is simmering, slice and toast your buns. now, it's assembly time

a line of yellow mustard on each toasted bun. then fish out your dogs and get them into the action

next, get all that delicious chili out of that pan, and top with more shallot and green onion

revel in your creation. you're the god drat king of the household, eat like it

Mm...the Kumbiest Maximas

Needs fries

PILED HIGH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Nhilist posted:

Críochnaithe

Interested to know what you think this means