Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I was very prepared to like Dirk Gently but I hated it immediately and gave up after one episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s a Max Landis show, so nobody can blame you.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Watching Being Human via Netflix recommendations. Its fun but the werewolf is incredibly shrill. Does he get better? ,(I know it's an old show, so sad I missed the original transmission as it is right up my alley)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s a Max Landis show, so nobody can blame you.

I like it but it is kinda unnerving that it's his best work lmao. Needless to say, I haven't seen Bright

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I really love how the show takes every opportunity to blow up its universe and change the rules. Just like at the end of season 1, season 2 left me thinking "I have no idea what the next season might look like, but it's definitely going to be great".

Exactly!

BTW, thanks for the Chidi link, tetrapyloctomy!

I'm also a fan of Dirk Gently. I enjoyed the second season. It's different and the characters have quite progressed, but it's still extremely silly :classiclol:

I've just finished binging season 6 of Strike Back (retribution). I didn't think I'd like it after 1-2 episodes but I'm glad I did. It's another guilty pleasure. British tv does better ridiculous over the top action than most Hollywood movies nowadays.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I'm also a fan of Dirk Gently. I enjoyed the second season. It's different and the characters have quite progressed, but it's still extremely silly :classiclol:

Me too. I think the first one was better but I had a lot of fun with the second too and Im sad it got canceled

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Just got done with the first season of Corporate. I really enjoyed it especially that 9/11 remember day episode.

Seeing Lance Reddick in a comedic role really makes me want to see him star in a Naked Gun remake.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sloth Life posted:

Watching Being Human via Netflix recommendations. Its fun but the werewolf is incredibly shrill. Does he get better? ,(I know it's an old show, so sad I missed the original transmission as it is right up my alley)
He does, kinda, you get used to him

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sloth Life posted:

Uh, British or American?

(British he does.)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its worth pointing out that there's two Being Human shows that are pretty different.

But in both cases I think the easy answer is that he gets better or at least we get to know him better. We basically meet him at the worst point of his life when he's abandoned his entire life and is just getting used to his new lovely existence and isn't exactly happy about it or calm about the crazy poo poo he's discovering.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Parkingtigers posted:

I binged 6.5 seasons of Mad Men (the final part isn't on The Netflix yet) and loved it, with the caveat that Don Draper's endless affairs get a little tedious. Probably felt worse because of the binging tbh.

The last half of the season is fantastic, but there's one plotline you will absolutely hate.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Started Love on Netflix. It's frustrating but funny and well acted. Kinda like it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I binged (slowly) through the first season of 12 monkeys and just couldnt bring myself to go on. I love time travel poo poo but this is just bad: bad actors, bad characters, bad writing all around, and bad production values too

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
S2 of Jessica Jones is way worse than S1. Which was like a 7.1/10 already.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Thanks for the clarification peeps. Watching the UK version (Aidan and Russell) good to know things get better. Tbh he's the funniest on the show, shrill or not. Smash the granny out of it!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Yeah I found it significantly less interesting. Kristen Ritter is still really good, but none of the plot lines were really all that compelling to me.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I found it significantly less interesting. Kristen Ritter is still really good, but none of the plot lines were really all that compelling to me.

there's an eye-rolling amount of People On Screen Explaining What's Happening instead of you know. Showing it happening. definition of telling rather than showing.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

Elias_Maluco posted:

I binged (slowly) through the first season of 12 monkeys and just couldnt bring myself to go on. I love time travel poo poo but this is just bad: bad actors, bad characters, bad writing all around, and bad production values too

I'm 3 episodes in. Someone mentioned it here and I like sci-fi so I gave it a try. I loved Terry Gilliam's movie. This isn't it.

Hope it gets better :ohdear:

Travelers is a much better time travel concept.

Any quality sci-fi recommendations?

I don't think I've seen Humans (UK) mentioned ITT. Check it out!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

12 Monkeys is just about the only time travel and hard sci-fi show in recent memory that I actually enjoyed. I'm not sure what that statement means. Maybe if you love sci-fi you should see that as a condemnation of the show? Maybe if you have been disappointed by modern sci-fi you should see it as a positive? I just know I loved 12 Monkeys despite the fact that I have this tendency to get really annoyed by sci-fi and just give up watching.

Killjoys is ok too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I'm 3 episodes in. Someone mentioned it here and I like sci-fi so I gave it a try. I loved Terry Gilliam's movie. This isn't it.

Hope it gets better :ohdear:

Yeah, I could never really get into it. I think the show gets better in the second season when it moves away from the virus plot (which was never particularly compelling or essential to the film; I reckon that Gilliam's much more interested in madness and the mouldering failings of bureaucracy than in any of the film's disaster movie beats) and moves towards being a post apocalyptic survival narrative with mystical elements. Solid but not spectacular, which is a disappointing comedown after the original film.

There's a fourth -- and final -- season airing this year, but even if it continues to show's solidity I don't think that it'll ever pull off anything as magnificent as Madeline Stowe's arc from the original film.

I don't think I've seen Humans (UK) mentioned ITT. Check it out!

Humans owns. I don't know if it's particularly popular around here -- I remember maybe two posters put it in their top ten lists two years ago, so I suspect not -- but I love it a lot. I've noticed that there's a strong subgenre of British fantasy morality plays, that marry fantasy archetypes with kitchen sink drama narratives, and I've loved most of them. Being Human and In The Flesh being the two other major ones that spring to mind.

Recent Sci-fi / Action shows I liked: Defiance, Agents of SHIELD, Continuum, Van Helsing and Killjoys -- though most people would agree that a lot of these shows all have starts that don't demonstrate their potential. The Expanse is pretty popular around here, and though I'm not convinced I think it's got potential. And I absolutely adored Braindead, but that was cancelled after one (quite satisfying) season.

Oh, and Counterpart's pretty great as well. Westworld's super popular (though I think it's a bit crap) but I don't doubt you've already seen it. Into The Badlands is basically a post-apocalyptic fantasy retelling of Journey To The West, and I kind of adore that it even exists. Fights are gold. Preacher's first season was amazing, and the second had a slow middle (budget! raar!) but it's got great bookends and a kind of amazing middle. Though at this point I'm moving rapidly away from scifi and towards contemporary fantasy. Oh, and Fortitude's a wild ride, and changes genre twice across its run.

STAC Goat posted:

12 Monkeys is just about the only time travel and hard sci-fi show in recent memory that I actually enjoyed.

Wait, what?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 21, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My understanding is that "hard sci-fi" is the term used for science fiction that has really serious and heavy themes and takes itself very seriously. I basically just remember it coming up a lot why SyFy had a lot of shows like Eureka and Warehouse 13 that I enjoyed but that a lot of sci-fi fans seem angry about because they wanted more "hard sci-fi" like Battlestar Galactica.

So like, Agents of Shield would be "soft sci-fi" and the Expanse would be "hard". Maybe I just confused "hard" with "heavy".

If I misused it, my bad. Sci-Fi isn't my groove so it wouldn't be surprising to find out I misunderstood the lingo or was elevating some random thing someone said to a whole genre idea.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

If I misused it, my bad. Sci-Fi isn't my groove so it wouldn't be surprising to find out I misunderstood the lingo or was elevating some random thing someone said to a whole genre idea.

Now you've got me doubting my definition, haha. But I always heard that "hard" scifi was science fiction that valued realism. So The Expanse would definitely count as being "hard", but so would something a bit wackier, like "Planetes". Whereas BSG would definitely not pass for "hard" despite being quite, as you say, heavy. And something like Farscape or 12 Monekys would be right out.

(Also, I reckon that all a certain vocal group of sci-fi fans want are spaceships and the complete absence of camp. Which is silly, because camp rules.)

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 21, 2018

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
All I know about "Hard" scifi is from Party Down, where that one guy was specifically into that and only that genre to the point of absurdity. From what I gathered it's scifi that may be far fetched but has a rigidly followed set of ground rules. Like The Expanse gets mentioned because of it's decision to really set up the space travel tech and how it works, even though there is also crazy glowing AI goo controlling a planet.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

Open Source Idiom posted:

Quality effort post

Hmm I'm wondering if I should keep watching 12 Monkeys or not..

Thanks for the suggestions :) I have seen all but Fortitude and Into the Badlands (in my Netflix queue).

TvTropes has a good description of science fiction hardness

I like when a show doesn't assume viewers are short attention span simpletons

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Wild, Wild Country

:stare:

God bless the Duplass brothers!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hmm I'm wondering if I should keep watching 12 Monkeys or not..

I like when a show doesn't assume viewers are short attention span simpletons

You answered your own question.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I also loved 12 Monkeys the movie and was expecting something more like it. It inst, its a bland story with bland characters about a boring conspiracy. It does gets more interesting when it deals with the consequences and problems of time travel, but still, is not very good at this either

Dark, even though it doenst seems to take itself so serioulsy, deals with time travel in a much more interesting way, and its much better in everything else too

On the "hard sci fi" discussion: I guess "hard time travel sci fi" would be something like Primer, while "light time travel sci fi" would be Back to The Future. The 12 Monkeys show is a lot more like BTTF, except its serious and inst fun. Dark is "light" too , but then it is fun

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you're watching time travel TV shows and you aren't watching Future Man, you done hosed up.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Elias_Maluco posted:

Dark, even though it doenst seems to take itself so serioulsy

???

Dark takes itself super seriously

There's basically nothing but heavy themes and everyone beeing gloomy about everything constantly and people freaking the gently caress out about the ominous unknowable things happening

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Fartbox posted:

???

Dark takes itself super seriously

There's basically nothing but heavy themes and everyone beeing gloomy about everything constantly and people freaking the gently caress out about the ominous unknowable things happening

I dont know, I found Dark to be more of a "family show", like Stranger Things, but more serious and more "dark" really. In any case I dont think it even tries to be "hard sci fi"

Trig Discipline posted:

If you're watching time travel TV shows and you aren't watching Future Man, you done hosed up.

Seems cool, I will put it on my queue

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Future Man is the dumbest TV show that I have ever loved every second of.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I recently re-watched Duckman. I hadn't seen it in years, because I thought it hadn't aged well the last time I watched it, but my frame of mind must be very different these days because it's so funny. There's one where he waits on his couch for a month for the gas company to fix a leak, and then the moment he steps out of his house a gas company guy leaps out of a bush to put a "not home" notice on his front door, and it was the hardest I've laughed in ages.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jason Sextro posted:

I recently re-watched Duckman. I hadn't seen it in years, because I thought it hadn't aged well the last time I watched it, but my frame of mind must be very different these days because it's so funny. There's one where he waits on his couch for a month for the gas company to fix a leak, and then the moment he steps out of his house a gas company guy leaps out of a bush to put a "not home" notice on his front door, and it was the hardest I've laughed in ages.

This is a show I'm looking forward into watching for the first time, barring like 1.5 episode runtimes total.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Just started watching the Norwegian show Occupied on Netflix. It's really quite good and they just added a new season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont know, I found Dark to be more of a "family show", like Stranger Things, but more serious and more "dark" really. In any case I dont think it even tries to be "hard sci fi"
Stranger Things is pretty dark and serious. Like its at its core a story about children being abducted, abused, murdered, and tortured by monsters both supernatural and human. Its fantastical in that Spielberg style that could make it a "family" blockbuster but its a lot more "Poltergeist" than "ET". It also takes really deeply from Stephen King and if you're watching it for Family Movie Night you shouldn't be surprised if it messes your little ones up.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 21, 2018

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

STAC Goat posted:

Stranger Things is pretty dark and serious. Like its at its core a story about children being abducted, abused, murdered, and tortured by monsters both supernatural and human. Its fantastical in that Spielberg style that could make it a "family" blockbuster but its a lot more "Poltergeist" than "ET". It also takes really deeply from Stephen King and if you're watching it for Family Movie Night you shouldn't be surprised if it messes your little ones up.

Stranger Things is also funny and has lots of children and teenage themes. And all the abuse and murder is pretty lightweight, less like a horror movie and more like a kids monster movie.

I do think it is a Family Night thing, much like Goonies and etc are. And kids do love it, judging by my 12 years old niece and her friends

"Dark" is really more adult, I think

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 21, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Stranger Things is as close to one of those "made for kids horror movies" we used to have back in the 80's. Things like The Gate or Critters or Gremlins. Not trying to be super scary, but being scary enough to let kids ease into the genre. Wrapping it up in nostalgia makes it work for us adults, but it's not hard to see why it would still be entertaining for kids to watch.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Jason Sextro posted:

That reminds me that I need to get back to watching it. I found the first two seasons on DVD for $5 and had started a rewatch. There are some wonderfully twisted lines.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Having completed the season I will qualify this brief review by saying that there is some incredibly good framing of addiction and social stigma in some of the middle episodes of this season. I don't know if I've ever been so affected by empathy for a character, I literally closed my laptop mid-episode because I was so... teeth-grittingly clenched in the feels by a twist that was, frankly, very carefully woven into one of the show's plotlines.

And it eventually reverted to a more trite, forced narrative. I'm all over the map on this one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Wild, Wild Country

:stare:

God bless the Duplass brothers!

I really couldn’t stop watching it. Fantastic series. Been in America my whole life and had never heard of any of this. Wild indeed.