Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

spit on my clit posted:

then why is it in the game

It's a way to get stronger beyond killing enemies? Why is any equipment system in any game? It likely rewards you for hunting down hidden troves of treasure and stuff in a way that grants you power without getting orbs of xp and stuff flying at your face like previous GoW games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Morpheus posted:

It's a way to get stronger beyond killing enemies? Why is any equipment system in any game? It likely rewards you for hunting down hidden troves of treasure and stuff in a way that grants you power without getting orbs of xp and stuff flying at your face like previous GoW games.

ok so then why is the upgrade system a thing

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I too like to fill the complain about games thread with games that aren't even out.

Real complaint: I love Dark Souls 3 and I am finally getting around to the DLC. Problem is I will never finish it because the bosses are the hardest ones they've made yet and I am not gud enough.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Just because you can tack on more systems that make more game doesn't mean you should. I have no idea about that game in particular but lovely tacked on crafting is a thing dragging many many games down, so it's not unreasonable to complain about.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I was looking up stuff about the structure of Devil May Cry, and it's annoying that beating the game doesn't unlock a level select because having to play the game through twice, second time on hard, just to get back to being able to select normal is a bit daunting. I've beaten the second boss, Nelo Angelo though, so that's nice. Got the Sad Soul. :)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Borderlands 2: I got the goty version in a steam sale but apparently there's a second pass worth of DLC that's not included, though its just skins and filler missions.

The only difference between vault hunters is their skill trees and you can't use any skills until level 6. Why not have skills available at level 1? The shootings gameplay is pretty straightforward so there was no need to delay your options.

The fast travel menu lists all the DLC locations you haven't bought, and the customization menu is the same.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Borderlands 2: I got the goty version in a steam sale but apparently there's a second pass worth of DLC that's not included, though its just skins and filler missions.

The only difference between vault hunters is their skill trees and you can't use any skills until level 6. Why not have skills available at level 1? The shootings gameplay is pretty straightforward so there was no need to delay your options.

The fast travel menu lists all the DLC locations you haven't bought, and the customization menu is the same.
The entire game is just things dragging it down. It does one good thing (Diablo loot in an FPS) and a whole bunch of bad ones.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The rest of your post is genuine bad-design garbage, but this has a "reason" that "makes sense" from a "fygm" (gently caress you give money) perspective.

By showing you what the DLC grants, in a persistent in-your-face manner, they consistently show you exactly what you're missing out on, rather than letting you just be satisfied with what you've already got. This can improve conversion rates and lead to people buying when they normally wouldn't.

For me, I don't buy games from companies that do that (or I wait until it's 75% off).

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Remember when dragon Age actually gave you quests to go to DLC areas even if you didn't have the DLC? If you didn't know any better you'd just talk to these people and they'd say go do a thing and then when you tried to go to that area you'd get some splash page advertisement. I can't remember if you can abandon those quests or not so you can get them out of your inventory, but I can remember that I quit the game not long after they pulled that poo poo.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

The rest of your post is genuine bad-design garbage, but this has a "reason" that "makes sense" from a "fygm" (gently caress you give money) perspective.

By showing you what the DLC grants, in a persistent in-your-face manner, they consistently show you exactly what you're missing out on, rather than letting you just be satisfied with what you've already got. This can improve conversion rates and lead to people buying when they normally wouldn't.

For me, I don't buy games from companies that do that (or I wait until it's 75% off).

Yeah I remember the first game I played that was really bad for that was Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012). You got new cars by driving up to them in the game world and pressing a button, except half of them were DLC cars that popped up a $$$BUY$$$ prompt. There was no way to tell what was DLC and what wasn't, so through the course of normal play you would end up opening the store by accident dozens of times.

There might have been a difference in the key prompt once you got up close enough, I don't remember, but it was loving annoying.

My other problem with that game was that each car had individual races specific to that car, and you were unable to do any others. You had to get silver or gold in those races to unlock parts for that car, except by the time you'd fully upgraded the car you'd done all the races. The whole game was basically a series of small treadmills with loving nothing at the end.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Not really a bad thing but Subnautica is really fun if you don't play it on Survival mode (Which adds hunger and thirst meters). It's incredibly liberating to explore an alien ocean when you don't have to nip home every half-hour to scoff a Mars Bar. This is the long-lost sequel to Lego Rock Raiders I always wanted.

Actual bad things:

There are two islands in the game which for some reason aren't visible unless your a hundred metres close. Here the pop-in and draw distances issues become noticeable because they look absolutely hideous. On minute you're in a colorful Jellyfish biome, the next you're in the island from Proteus.

For some reason the game's framerate tanks when your walking around the Alien bases even though nothing technically demanding is going on.

Movement on solid-ground feels shite as well.

The gamepad controls feel buggy. There's no option to zoom-in on the menu when you're customising vehicles.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Moon Monster posted:

I was just running some chalices and that trick for the timing worked equally well for all of the enmies you could call giants :shrug:

Unless you mean the undead giants, in which case I didn't even realize those could be parried.

I forget what they're actually called but the purple dudes, some have lanterns or something. Every time if I waited until I'd get hit to shoot, it'd parry perfectly. They carried me through a lot of dungeons lmao

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Agent355 posted:

Remember when dragon Age actually gave you quests to go to DLC areas even if you didn't have the DLC? If you didn't know any better you'd just talk to these people and they'd say go do a thing and then when you tried to go to that area you'd get some splash page advertisement. I can't remember if you can abandon those quests or not so you can get them out of your inventory, but I can remember that I quit the game not long after they pulled that poo poo.

It was worse than that. In Origins there was an NPC who sat in your camp with an exclamation point permanently above his head until you bought the DLC.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

oldpainless posted:

As long as god of war 4 continues the tradition of playing a mini game where Kratos makes sweet love to one or more women at once, I’m prepared to give it at least an 8/10

These minigames are weird because it seems like the point is to show what an awesome badass sexhaver Kratos is but then he always ends up lasting like 40 seconds.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

The Moon Monster posted:

These minigames are weird because it seems like the point is to show what an awesome badass sexhaver Kratos is but then he always ends up lasting like 40 seconds.

My sex life is accurately described as minigame.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
We already know Kratos has sex anyway - he had a wife and daughter before the murder happened. His daughter certainly wasn't adopted.

The random sex minigames are unnecessary.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
In its defense, it's Greek mythology. Half of them were about Zeus loving somebody or other, and the rest were about other gods loving somebody or other.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Sometimes they actually just had sex with them!

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BioEnchanted posted:

I was looking up stuff about the structure of Devil May Cry, and it's annoying that beating the game doesn't unlock a level select because having to play the game through twice, second time on hard, just to get back to being able to select normal is a bit daunting. I've beaten the second boss, Nelo Angelo though, so that's nice. Got the Sad Soul. :)

Yeah, both Devil May Cry and God Hand are from this weird period when third person brawler games started getting really good, but before they figured out a lot of the UI/ease of use considerations like level select.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I miss when it seemed like every game had cheat codes you could punch in on the main screen or during gameplay and go nuts with. And the good ol' fashioned instruction manuals, with tons of backstory, character bios, and other miscellaneous information. I can't remember the last game I got that had a real manual, and not just the single sheet of bullshit.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I hope the twist in GOW4 is Kratos having to fight all the kids he accidentally made from sex QTE's.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

I miss when it seemed like every game had cheat codes you could punch in on the main screen or during gameplay and go nuts with. And the good ol' fashioned instruction manuals, with tons of backstory, character bios, and other miscellaneous information. I can't remember the last game I got that had a real manual, and not just the single sheet of bullshit.

These should be in everygame but easily accessable through the menu like with the assist menu in Celeste. Just give a little pop up that says 'hey these will destroy the way the game plays, but if you already did that or just want to gently caress around go nuts.'.

I have no idea why game devs don't already do it, it seems such an easy to implement thing that wouldn't impede the normal enjoyment of the game. The real key is just putting them in a menu with a giant warning label on it so nobody can mistake them for difficulty sliders or w/e, they'd be clearly labeled optional gently caress about stuff.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

scarycave posted:

I hope the twist in GOW4 is Kratos having to fight all the kids he accidentally made from sex QTE's.

Does anyone else see GoW and flip between God of War and Gears of War?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Agent355 posted:

These should be in everygame but easily accessable through the menu like with the assist menu in Celeste. Just give a little pop up that says 'hey these will destroy the way the game plays, but if you already did that or just want to gently caress around go nuts.'.

I have no idea why game devs don't already do it, it seems such an easy to implement thing that wouldn't impede the normal enjoyment of the game. The real key is just putting them in a menu with a giant warning label on it so nobody can mistake them for difficulty sliders or w/e, they'd be clearly labeled optional gently caress about stuff.

This was the worst part of Saints Row 3. You couldn’t turn cheats off ever.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

No, because Gears of War is dead.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

BioEnchanted posted:

We already know Kratos has sex anyway - he had a wife and daughter before the murder happened. His daughter certainly wasn't adopted.

The random sex minigames are unnecessary.

Man between unnecessary sex games and unnecessary weapon crafting the games are really bad!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Man between unnecessary sex games and unnecessary weapon crafting the games are really bad!

but enough about the witcher

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Yep, they even both released a trilogy followed by a bad spinoff followed by a half-reboot.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The witcher is probably the only game where I didn't feel like the romance/sex was just shoehorned in. Bioware style romance is just loving awful and feels hollow and most other sex in videogames is just lovely fanservice. In the witcher you choose between two women who the character could be genuinely interested in and it feels a pretty reasonable turn of events no matter how you slice it.

But then there's the Geralt who sleeps with every sorceress and succubi he finds and that part is less defendable, but I like the main Trist/Yenefer plot.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I hate the star system in Stardew Valley. Every item you can grow or find can have 4 different star ratings: 0, silver, gold, or iridium. These change the effectiveness of food items and the sell price of everything. The worst part though? They don't loving stack. Iridium is kinda special so lets skip that and say any time you pick up a bunch of 1 item, you will instead fill up 3 slots in your inventory because of the star system. And unless you're selling them or eating them directly, the star system is entirely meaningless. A no star blueberry makes the exact same wine or jelly or blueberry tart as a gold star blueberry. So it basically triples all the poo poo in your small inventory for no reason most of the time because eventually you want to process everything you grow. It's even worse for animals because cows and goats can give you milk or "large milk", both of which can also be any of the stars. And chickens... chickens give eggs or large eggs and also brown chickens lay brown eggs and white chickens lay white eggs so just tending to chickens can fill your inventory with 12 different loving stacks of poo poo in your inventory.

It's maddening.

eddoghetto
Mar 27, 2007
612 Wharf Avenue
A QTE in which Kratos shaves off his beard.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't know my Norse mythology very well do they have a thing for child murder? Maybe Kratos gets punked and kills this kid setting him off on a murderspree again.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Len posted:

I don't know my Norse mythology very well do they have a thing for child murder? Maybe Kratos gets punked and kills this kid setting him off on a murderspree again.

I don't think so. Norse mythology is like 50% the gods being dickish and 50% finding new ways to make Loki suffer (he always deserves it).

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

No. The norse in general didn't look terribly badly on murder in general and infanticide was commonly practiced but the Gods, as such, didn't really kill them.

If your kid hosed up your semi-immortal goats tho, they'd enslave them as punishment tho

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Agent355 posted:

The witcher is probably the only game where I didn't feel like the romance/sex was just shoehorned in. Bioware style romance is just loving awful and feels hollow and most other sex in videogames is just lovely fanservice. In the witcher you choose between two women who the character could be genuinely interested in and it feels a pretty reasonable turn of events no matter how you slice it.
Alpha Protocol did a good job with it too. Mostly.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It helps that Alpha Protocol was doing it within the context of genre tropes and so had a reason to be cheesy or sleazy.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I think the sex in Alpha Protocol was more implied rather than goofy video game sex scenes (like The Witcher 3 lol)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I think the sex in Alpha Protocol was more implied rather than goofy video game sex scenes (like The Witcher 3 lol)
Yeah, it's a kiss and fade to black.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Futuresight posted:

I hate the star system in Stardew Valley. Every item you can grow or find can have 4 different star ratings: 0, silver, gold, or iridium. These change the effectiveness of food items and the sell price of everything. The worst part though? They don't loving stack. Iridium is kinda special so lets skip that and say any time you pick up a bunch of 1 item, you will instead fill up 3 slots in your inventory because of the star system. And unless you're selling them or eating them directly, the star system is entirely meaningless. A no star blueberry makes the exact same wine or jelly or blueberry tart as a gold star blueberry. So it basically triples all the poo poo in your small inventory for no reason most of the time because eventually you want to process everything you grow. It's even worse for animals because cows and goats can give you milk or "large milk", both of which can also be any of the stars. And chickens... chickens give eggs or large eggs and also brown chickens lay brown eggs and white chickens lay white eggs so just tending to chickens can fill your inventory with 12 different loving stacks of poo poo in your inventory.

It's maddening.

The worst thing about that is that it would honestly not be all that hard to solve from a UI point of view. You have a normal blueberry, a silver star blueberry and a gold blueberry? Just have a slot in your inventory for blueberries if you have any, and have interacting with that slot open a little window showing the different ranks of blueberry you have. Similarly for milk, just have a milk slot that contains your different sizes and ranks of milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I think the Geralt/Yen romance works because there's already decades of backstory between the two of them, she isn't just someone you happened to meet, got to maximum Affinity and invited to your private quarters.