Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

al-azad posted:

You must retrain your fingers, young padawan. Remember: jump then forward. Jump then forward.

e: All this talk of Tomb Raider rekindled my love and now I'm playing through it. I'm still impressed by this game even if it aged as well as room temperature milk.

tomb raider is great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
What kind of anime is Tomb Raider?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

bentacos posted:

What kind of anime is Tomb Raider?

Big boobs

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

That doesn't narrow it down any.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
LaCro's Bizarre Adventure

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tomb Raider is super 90s anime because everything is pointy.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Flimf posted:

There is also Mr. Shifty:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/489140/Mr_Shifty/

No idea about the quality though.

Mr. Shifty is good fun, punching out mooks is very solid. There's not much replay value in it, but the campaign that's there is awesome.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Steam did an update for me today which seems to have broken the scaling option in Windows 10.

I've previously used the Override high DPI option in the compatibility options for steam.exe but that doesn't seem to work now and everything looks blown up to poo poo again.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Vakal posted:

Steam did an update for me today which seems to have broken the scaling option in Windows 10.

I've previously used the Override high DPI option in the compatibility options for steam.exe but that doesn't seem to work now and everything looks blown up to poo poo again.

Check the changelog: Steam has native support for high-DPI for Creators Update and newer. You'll probably have to turn off the custom DPI scaling you have set up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just got done replaying TR2013 for the first time in idk four years?

- This still has to be the best-looking game of 2013, incredible that it was a last-gen title.
- The entire thing looks like it's shot with documentary-style shakycam and it's a bit distracting.
- Lara kills a shitload of people, like I remember it being a lot but she must rack up a bodycount in the hundreds here.
- I absolutely adore the nerdy guy who is totally in love with Lara and risks his life to bring her... a wrench. Truly the most accurate depiction of a goon in video games ever.
- The subtitles are amazing. <prolonged, sharp death scream>
- The whole end sequence is just epic as gently caress.

I love that you can beat the whole thing in under 10 hours. Short games own!!

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I'm not sure when I'll be ready to review it but I started Stellaris yesterday and it's been kind of a revelation for me. I haven't really gotten into a space 4X since Space Empires IV, and even then I was never good at them the way I was at, say, Civilization. On the other side of the coin I've never been able to get into Paradox games because of their open structure. Without clear goals to work towards I couldn't gauge how effective my decisions were, or how fast I should expand, or really what I should be doing at all.

But something about Stellaris makes it all click. The tutorial missions make it super clear what I should be doing when, and once I ran out of those I felt like I knew exactly how to carry on. The anomalies and event chains give me goals to work towards on top of basic expansion. And I really, really like all these little incidental events that pop up and give the galaxy flavor. I don't know if I'm going to get off-track or get crushed out of the blue a few hours from now but right now it just feels exceptionally good to play, something I haven't really gotten since my hundreds of hours in Civ IV.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Fun Times! posted:

Assassins Creed Origins is on sale. Does it have any performance issues?
It ran without issues for me on Day 1: i7-4790 and Geforce 970.
But a lot of people have complained that it used 100% CPU etc. I never noticed any slow-downs or over-heating.

Grab it from somewhere you are sure to be able to refund it without any problems.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Too Shy Guy posted:

I'm not sure when I'll be ready to review it but I started Stellaris yesterday and it's been kind of a revelation for me. I haven't really gotten into a space 4X since Space Empires IV, and even then I was never good at them the way I was at, say, Civilization. On the other side of the coin I've never been able to get into Paradox games because of their open structure. Without clear goals to work towards I couldn't gauge how effective my decisions were, or how fast I should expand, or really what I should be doing at all.

But something about Stellaris makes it all click. The tutorial missions make it super clear what I should be doing when, and once I ran out of those I felt like I knew exactly how to carry on. The anomalies and event chains give me goals to work towards on top of basic expansion. And I really, really like all these little incidental events that pop up and give the galaxy flavor. I don't know if I'm going to get off-track or get crushed out of the blue a few hours from now but right now it just feels exceptionally good to play, something I haven't really gotten since my hundreds of hours in Civ IV.

Make sure you actually reach mid-game at least once before you really percolate on it. That being the point at which expansion and exploration are over. The recent update made it a lot better but it still suffers from a lot of the exact same issues other 4Xs do.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

Just got done replaying TR2013 for the first time in idk four years?

- The subtitles are amazing. <prolonged, sharp death scream>

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The thought of Lara finding a room filled with gold and ancient artifacts and then immediately converting it into something to make her bow or guns better never got old.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It amuses me that Lara apparently has a machine shop in her pocket that enables her to make guns and gun parts from scratch, on a cursed island.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Um if you were paying attention you'd notice she actually finds the gun blueprints in dessicated tombs that haven't been touched for centuries, guy. :rolleyes:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

exquisite tea posted:

- The whole end sequence is just epic as gently caress.

I don't play a whole lot of AAA action titles anymore so maybe it's more common than I think, but I remember playing through the last sequence there starting where you're sneaking around and seeing all the warriors and the massive fight that follows, and thinking they somehow got the whole look and flow of a giant summer action movie climax setpiece done perfectly.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
There was a chance you'd always find weapon or bow parts on the dead bodies of your enemies too, which is slightly more plausible and also more metal. I just pretended that Lara found a better automatic weapon when the game told me that she was essentially able to convert a WWII era submachine gun into a weapon that more closely resembled an AK of some kind.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
i bought the steamworld bundle that was just on sale and quit dig 1 after getting to vectron. it's just the same thing over and over with different textures and damage values.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I didn't mind dig 1 but it was overrated IMO. Heist is great though.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Dig 1 was a bimbo game, really good looking but shallow.

Heist is way better but it would be awesome if they didn't cut the randomly generated world map.

Is Dig 2 better than 1?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Terminally Bored posted:

Is Dig 2 better than 1?

Very much so imo. Dig 1 was alright but yeah kinda boring and not much going on. Dig 2 is a great game and the mining->upgrades->exploration loop feels so much better. also really good looking and was fun af to play

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Terminally Bored posted:

Dig 1 was a bimbo game, really good looking but shallow.

Heist is way better but it would be awesome if they didn't cut the randomly generated world map.

Is Dig 2 better than 1?

Dig 2 is very similar but has more emphasis on environmental platforming and and less on just digging straight down.

It barely has any boss fights though which I found a bit disappointing. Just one at the start and one at the end.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Vakal posted:

Dig 2 is very similar but has more emphasis on environmental platforming and and less on just digging straight down.

It barely has any boss fights though which I found a bit disappointing. Just one at the start and one at the end.

Didn't Dig 1 only have a final boss? Also, I haven't played Dig 2 yet, but the whole mineshaft in Dig 1 is procedurally generated, with only the platforming chambers where you acquire new powers and optional puzzle areas being handcrafted.

Dig 2 has a 100% handcrafted world and has much more of a Metroid-esque design, from what I hear.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/976460761865342978

THQ Nordic is such a crazy company and I love it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

DrNutt posted:

There was a chance you'd always find weapon or bow parts on the dead bodies of your enemies too, which is slightly more plausible and also more metal. I just pretended that Lara found a better automatic weapon when the game told me that she was essentially able to convert a WWII era submachine gun into a weapon that more closely resembled an AK of some kind.

I'd love to see a sci-fi game where humanity uses laser weapons and has discarded all records of its barbaric past, but the alien menace is impervious to lasers and so you must tomb raid in order to find weird old guns and return them to base for reverse engineering. Queue epic battle whereby the intrepid heroes go through a dozen Derringers, and fierce arguments on whether or not it is a magazine or a clip.

Tomb Raider kinda missed the opportunity to have more fun with its weapons. The escalation was something that was extremely well handled, particularly with the enemy barks, but I was hoping for more weird scavenged poo poo.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Battle for Bikini Bottom seriously better get an HD remaster.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'd love to see a sci-fi game where humanity uses laser weapons and has discarded all records of its barbaric past, but the alien menace is impervious to lasers and so you must tomb raid in order to find weird old guns and return them to base for reverse engineering. Queue epic battle whereby the intrepid heroes go through a dozen Derringers, and fierce arguments on whether or not it is a magazine or a clip.

Tomb Raider kinda missed the opportunity to have more fun with its weapons. The escalation was something that was extremely well handled, particularly with the enemy barks, but I was hoping for more weird scavenged poo poo.

The next Tomb Raider looks to be in Mayan ruins so I think aliens are 100% guaranteed for this one.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

- I absolutely adore the nerdy guy who is totally in love with Lara and risks his life to bring her... a wrench. Truly the most accurate depiction of a goon in video games ever.

Appropriately enough she forgets he ever existed two minutes after his death

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah everybody else is like "oh well let's eat" lol.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I enjoyed Tomb Raider 13 a lot but I like how they tried hard to have a multicultural cast & still managed to end up with a token ethnic

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Justin_Brett posted:

Isn't that part of what sunk the original THQ?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mordja posted:

The old THQ did a lot of things wrong but I'm assuming these would be already released games, not new ones.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Mordja posted:

No they bet the farm on this smart drawing tablet and lost.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

SettingSun posted:

It amuses me that Lara apparently has a machine shop in her pocket that enables her to make guns and gun parts from scratch, on a cursed island.

Ya and as a plumber I can tell you what Mario does is total false advertising. But its life man.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Justin_Brett posted:

Accordion Man posted:

Battle for Bikini Bottom seriously better get an HD remaster.

Mordja posted:

this is just a shot in the dark, but i think i know what's going on here, and the article's... possibly a little misleading.

if you look at the list, you'll notice that Tak and the Power of JUJU is one of the listed IPs. Tak and the Power of JUJU was a game-original IP Nickelodeon made; the three games that came out on PS2/Xbox/GC are pretty fondly remembered and were published (and possibly developed) by THQ. while there was a cartoon, it only lasted a single season, postdated the games by several years, was hated by fans of the games for making a bunch of really dumb and lovely changes to the setting and characters, and... is probably not why they snuck that IP in, on the whole.

i'm pretty sure most of this was just a roundabout way to unfuck those rights so they can remaster the Tak games, because SpongeBob is the literal only other IP in that list with any particularly decent games to come out of it. hell, some of those IPs don't even have games (Zim, Danny Phantom, Wild Thornberries) or only have games that came out back in like the SNES era (Ren and Stimpy).

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 22, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
They sure took their time, and it's a bit of a downgrade, but Bloodborne is finally on PC

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah word. A lot of the weapons end up really pedestrian for being set on an island with thousands of years of history of shipwrecks. I mean, if nothing else you could have had a ton more weird variety from the 20th century but it boils down to action movie shotgun, action movie automatic rifle, action movie pistol, and bow. The second game has more going on in variety but is also much more lacking in flavor.

That said the weapons and gunfeel are still much better than Uncharted and I will happily give them that. When I was playing the Uncharted games I was always relieved when combat was over and I could get a neat platforming bit or some more story but I never looked forward to more combat. With TR13 and Rise I enjoyed the shooting and platforming, and the story (at least in Rise) was the disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

im the running and jumping animations traced from sotn