Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Rocksicles posted:

Motherfucker didn't do anything. He was there, had a job, didn't like it and bailed, went full whistleblower and helped raise him into who he is. Sure he kept a secret, but WHo's Jefferson to stomp on someone keeping secrets.

Besties in 2 weeks. Book it.

He's clearly be lying to both sides for decades. We honestly don't know what he has or has not done at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Aleph Null posted:

He's clearly be lying to both sides for decades. We honestly don't know what he has or has not done at this point.

Pretty sure he's made a little wooden puppet that came to life, sure I've seen a film about it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aleph Null posted:

Yeah, at the bare minimum he's been playing along and working with the ASAs actions which include Lady Eve's involvement with crime, drugs, Tobias and the 100. We saw Gambi talking with Tobias, Eve, and the boss. We saw Gambi go on a killing mission.

I buy Gambi's broader argument that when the full weight of things were realized I tried to blow the whistle and when that got Jefferson's dad killed he worked to protect him ad his family. But like he still seemed to do a lot of skeezy poo poo in the process.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
It took me a while to remember where I'd seen Black Lightning before, but remembered it was at Superman's Funeral.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aleph Null posted:

This family talks and trusts and it is awesome.

TwoPair posted:

I'm surprised/very relieved that we finally get the Gambi reveal now instead of making it some season ending cliffhanger.
Those two things along with skipping the origin story has earned this show a lot of credit with me. They're just avoiding almost every mistake this genre makes over and over again and it's such a nice change.

muscles like this! posted:

My problem with Gambi is that it is really hard to know what he really feels about anything seeing as he has been shown lying to literally every character on the show.
That's not really a problem as far as I can see. No one really knows him, and that includes the audience. He's lying to everyone all the time and it would feel really artificial to signal to the audience that actually this is the real him. There probably is no real him. He is the lies.

Rocksicles posted:

Motherfucker didn't do anything. He was there, had a job, didn't like it and bailed, went full whistleblower and helped raise him into who he is. Sure he kept a secret, but WHo's Jefferson to stomp on someone keeping secrets.
Well, he's pretty clearly been involved in some pretty shady stuff, and I wouldn't say he went full whistleblower because he never came forward publicly or even made a second attempt to get the information out.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Those two things along with skipping the origin story has earned this show a lot of credit with me. They're just avoiding almost every mistake this genre makes over and over again and it's such a nice change.

That's not really a problem as far as I can see. No one really knows him, and that includes the audience. He's lying to everyone all the time and it would feel really artificial to signal to the audience that actually this is the real him. There probably is no real him. He is the lies.

Well, he's pretty clearly been involved in some pretty shady stuff, and I wouldn't say he went full whistleblower because he never came forward publicly or even made a second attempt to get the information out.

I'd imagine after the first guy that tried to leak information got murdered for it, I'd stop trying. At least back then when newspapers and TV were the way to deliver news. This excuse isn't really valid anymore once the internet existed and he could've leaked it himself on the internet.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TwoPair posted:

I'd imagine after the first guy that tried to leak information got murdered for it, I'd stop trying. At least back then when newspapers and TV were the way to deliver news. This excuse isn't really valid anymore once the internet existed and he could've leaked it himself on the internet.

With things like Eva's comments about his "retirement" and telling Tobias "you're not supposed to be here" I'm guessing they know drat well who leaked to the reporter, and any attempt to leak it again will have... consequences. If he truly thought the Green Lightning stuff was done, he could have rationalized it as not being useful info.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Bruceski posted:

With things like Eva's comments about his "retirement" and telling Tobias "you're not supposed to be here" I'm guessing they know drat well who leaked to the reporter, and any attempt to leak it again will have... consequences. If he truly thought the Green Lightning stuff was done, he could have rationalized it as not being useful info.

Overlapping your CW shows there.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Green Lightening is the name of the designer drug going around that gave that one kid at Jefferson's school super strength and let Tobias' sparring partner go against him. And I believe the ASA boss specifically named it as their experiment in his talk with Gambi and there was a vial of it in Jefferson's dad's stuff. So it's almost certainly the ASAs experiment.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Green light :eng101:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aww, crap. My bad. Guess I was just filling in the blank everytime someone said the name.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

STAC Goat posted:

Aww, crap. My bad. Guess I was just filling in the blank everytime someone said the name.

Same here.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

They even had an insert sing during the episode it was introduced and everything

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

I think of it like a traffic light. Green Light.

Edit: But does anyone else think it's weird that they were trying to design a drug to make everyone docile but instead created metahumans and a street drug that gives people super strength? How bad was their chemist?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I assume super powers were an unintended side effect 30 years ago (or however long it's been for Jefferson) and they've been trying to replicate it since. Their focus shifted when the realized they had failed to make an effective "docile citizens" drug and had stumbled on "super powered soldiers".

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I thought it was nice that not only was Jefferson wearing a Black Panthers hoodie the whole episode, it was one explicitly tied to their community outreach efforts. Especially in an episode that heavily involved a shady government agency’s interference in a largely black community.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Huh, so Vixen and Supergirl do exist on this Earth, interesting.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lmao their improvised costumes. Anissa's new costume is way better than her first one. Hard to tell that Gambi made it considering it isn't covered in neon lighting.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

howe_sam posted:

Huh, so Vixen and Supergirl do exist on this Earth, interesting.

Given that an issue of The Outsiders appeared in one episode, it's implied that most DC superheroes only exist in comic books.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Murderion posted:

Given that an issue of The Outsiders appeared in one episode, it's implied that most DC superheroes only exist in comic books.

You don't have anything concrete to back that up.

They could have very successful televisions shows.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhyno posted:

You don't have anything concrete to back that up.

They could have very successful televisions shows.

It could also be that the show really is set on Earth-1 after all and that Freeland is just really insulated from the other wackiness of Central and Star City due it its geographical proximity farther south or something. Jennifer was talking about Vixen like she was a real person to her, and Supergirl has been involved in at least two high-profile super hero battles to save the world from aliens and Nazis, it would not surprise me if a lot of folks on Earth-1 know the name “Supergirl” and have some concept of who she is, even if she doesn’t show up all that often.

Also Flash has an entire merch department out there somewhere putting Barry’s logo on backpacks and poo poo apparently without his knowledge or consent, so it wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of the various heroes had “unauthorized” comics made of themselves floating about there in the Arrowverse that just so happen to look like stuff DC has actually made in the past because lol look at us reference ourselves, guys.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

nine-gear crow posted:

Also Flash has an entire merch department out there somewhere putting Barry’s logo on backpacks and poo poo apparently without his knowledge or consent, so it wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of the various heroes had “unauthorized” comics made of themselves floating about there in the Arrowverse that just so happen to look like stuff DC has actually made in the past because lol look at us reference ourselves, guys.

This would actually be a neat way for a superhero to support himself instead of having a day job, and I'd be willing to bet it's been done before. But Barry oughta find these guys and make them cut him in on the business, especially now that he's sorta fired from the police department.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Phenotype posted:

This would actually be a neat way for a superhero to support himself instead of having a day job, and I'd be willing to bet it's been done before. But Barry oughta find these guys and make them cut him in on the business, especially now that he's sorta fired from the police department.

It's how Ozymandias in Watchmen initially made his fortune. He sold all the Watchmen's merchandise while the rest didn't care and just wanted to fight crime.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The odd thing is that Supergirl is from a different Earth from Vixen so this one might still be a different one with all of the heroes in one universe. Of those are the only ones they could legally name drop.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

In the comics doesn't Kingpin own the trademark for Spiderman's merch? I seem to remember something about that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ShakeZula posted:

In the comics doesn't Kingpin own the trademark for Spiderman's merch? I seem to remember something about that.

That was in Ultimate Spider-man.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Murderion posted:

This is actually DC canon: certain people are "attuned" to other dimensions as basically comic book oracles and write fiction they unknowingly observe. It gets doubly fucky because the real world actually exists in DC and is (well, was) called Earth Prime.

OTOH it was probably just meant as a cute namedrop and I now I want Lynn to get a totem :3:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Phenotype posted:

I'm imagining Barry showing up in civil court in his uniform, just sitting there at the table blurring his face and voice while his lawyer asks witnesses banal questions about copyright laws.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

nine-gear crow posted:

It could also be that the show really is set on Earth-1 after all and that Freeland is just really insulated from the other wackiness of Central and Star City due it its geographical proximity farther south or something. Jennifer was talking about Vixen like she was a real person to her, and Supergirl has been involved in at least two high-profile super hero battles to save the world from aliens and Nazis, it would not surprise me if a lot of folks on Earth-1 know the name “Supergirl” and have some concept of who she is, even if she doesn’t show up all that often.
I think in the previous episode someone mentioned "metahumans" in the context of Black Lightning being one of many from years ago, whereas on Earth 1 all metahumans originated with the Star Labs particle accelerator. I think it's safe to assume that Black Lightning takes place on an Earth other than 1, 2 or 38. It could still be Jay's world though.

Phenotype posted:

This would actually be a neat way for a superhero to support himself instead of having a day job, and I'd be willing to bet it's been done before.
I think it's in Spider-Man and the X-Men where Spidey's explaining that he can't make money from his merchandise because it would reveal his identity and someone points out that he could have set up a shell company and he's just like "Oh, I didn't think of that. Well, too late now!"

Xelkelvos posted:

The odd thing is that Supergirl is from a different Earth from Vixen so this one might still be a different one with all of the heroes in one universe.
Or it could be just a different subset than we've previously seen. Supergirl, Vixen, Black Lightning, Green Lantern and Aquaman, for example.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In LoT they revealed the JSA existed and several of them had super powers.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, of course we all know that the real answer is that it was just a cutesy reference to the Arrowverse and they probably had no idea where they wanted this show to fit in when they filmed it. I think if we get a second season that's when we'll get some definition about where this show is in the Multiverse but trying to figure out rules or anything now is probably tilting at windmills.

But yeah, its been established there are more heroes beyond what we've seen on both Earths so who knows? Earth 1 could know about Supergirl from that time she saved the President of the United States and Earth 38 could have its own Vixen. Or maybe the Legends are gonna do a mission there or something. There's all kinds of possible explanations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ahaha that old lady trying to drop things on Black Lightning.

I really want to know what Lala's deal is with his murder victim tattoos. Did Lady Eve give him powers? Did he take green light and get them from that while no one was looking? Something Else?

I love that the ASA guy isn't a complete moron and figured out Jefferson was Black Lightning.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I literally winced when I saw the vice principal was the spotter. That's some good backstab right there.

Also jesus Skye P. Marshall is inhumanly attractive.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ahaha that old lady trying to drop things on Black Lightning.

Any scene with Two Bit and Black Lightning is comedy loving gold.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I really want to know what Lala's deal is with his murder victim tattoos. Did Lady Eve give him powers? Did he take green light and get them from that while no one was looking? Something Else?

Isn't it more likely he's one of the originals like Gambi? I mean the editing made it seem like his awakening had everything do with Lady Eve's death but then they've just seemingly dropped it for the last episodes so who knows. :shrug:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The guy playing Lala is so loving good, I'm really glad they brought him back. The talent on this show is stacked like crazy.

Their music selection's on point too. Never thought I'd hear a Kevin Gates track on a DC CW show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MiddleOne posted:

Isn't it more likely he's one of the originals like Gambi? I mean the editing made it seem like his awakening had everything do with Lady Eve's death but then they've just seemingly dropped it for the last episodes so who knows. :shrug:

Its possible. I think we're all just expecting some kind of payoff for that weird voodoo zombie poo poo Lady Eve seemed to be doing and since LaLa resurrected at the same time she died we're assuming a connection. But its possible (a) we all misread it or (b) its coming but unrelated to LaLa.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Gregg Henry can give master classes in scene stealing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Renewed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

• Locked thread