Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'd really like Frankie to drop to 135 finally, he looked tiny against Ortega and he really doesn't have a lot of options at 145 anymore anyway. A rematch against Cub doesn't do much for me, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m unironically coming around on the idea of having an old fighter league like Vitor wanted.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Frankie vs Vitor would be pretty good.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m unironically coming around on the idea of having an old fighter league like Vitor wanted.

i thought it was a good idea from the start since many sports have masters leagues starting at about 35+. usually they are amateur ranks where ex pros compete though. i suppose theres always rizin

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
days late and the fight didn't matter, but that terrion ware guy got robbed badly. thombas dookieroids farken' sucks and the announcers keep reading their hype prospect talking pointscue cards over and over when it's clear he's a dud

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

TheRationalRedditor posted:

days late and the fight didn't matter, but that terrion ware guy got robbed badly. thombas dookieroids farken' sucks and the announcers keep reading their hype prospect talking pointscue cards over and over when it's clear he's a dud

i thought ware won too but dusquenoy wasnt so bad in the fight either. i wouldnt blame him for the judges anyway

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

he's got great movement but it's like he has little power versus UFC level competitors. They keep talking him up like a knockout dynamo but 2 of his 3 fights so far have been pretty underwhelming. he got outworked badly in this one and when his legkick gameplan clearly wasn't working vs Ware he just kept trying to force it with no backup plan while getting soundly outstruck and outgrappled

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

TheRationalRedditor posted:

he's got great movement but it's like he has little power versus UFC level competitors. They keep talking him up like a knockout dynamo but 2 of his 3 fights so far have been pretty underwhelming. he got outworked badly in this one and when his legkick gameplan clearly wasn't working vs Ware he just kept trying to force it with no backup plan while getting soundly outstruck and outgrappled

Or maybe he was getting outstruck and outgrappled so he stuck to the only thing that was working. He's not a Sage Northcutt or PVZ type of UFC prospect.

Edit: He's like a disappointing Thomas Almeida.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 21, 2018

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Kilometers Davis posted:

Its called retirement.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Or maybe he was getting outstruck and outgrappled so he stuck to the only thing that was working. He's not a Sage Northcutt or PVZ type of UFC prospect.

If you’re getting out struck and out grappled the it’s not working

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snowman_McK posted:

Hey, hey...Floyd threw 18 punches.

Over 3 rounds.

So, yes, Conor did better than expected by winning rounds by default due to his opponents almost complete inaction.

Conor got hosed up. There is no universe in which that was an impressive performance.

So we agree Conor won a few rounds, it literally doesn’t matter that he won them because floyd did nothing, floyd had to do that in order to win late.

There is a reason Floyd didn’t try to just go in and knock Conor out quickly—he wasn’t physically capable of doing so and had to strategize and gameplan to beat a guy who had literally never done his sport before.

Conor got hosed up the last 3 rounds after he was gassed. As a lifelong boxing fan and 20 year mma fan I was extremely impressed with Conor’s performance. Rewatch the first round. When Floyd actually tried to throw his first punch Conor slipped it and hit him with a quick combo that made him realize he was in a real fight would have to try to win.

I was impressed with Floyd’s strength in the clinch, i had figured Conor would be way stronger but that didn’t seem to be the case.

Even though he gassed hard, I was also impressed with Conor’s cardio. He nearly went 10 rounds with the supposed best ever. Pro Boxers aren’t even allowed to fight 10 rounds until they’ve fought several 4 and 8 round fights but Conor went right in at the highest level and held his own until he gassed, long after an 0-0 fighter should have been in there. In fact, had the commission followed their own rules, the fight would have been a 4 rounder and likely looked very different. Floyd would be forced to trade early while Conor still had energy to evade and counter instead of pouring it all on when Conor was exhausted and staggering around like a drunk.

The revisionist history of Floyd let Conor win rounds keeps getting parroted by people who hate Conor and don’t understand fighting in general.

Conor did better against Floyd than DC did against Jones and Aldo did against Holloway. And those guys are legends and champions, Conor was 0-0.

The gap isn’t as big as you think. Overall mma looked really good versus boxing even tho the entire thing was setup in Boxings favor.

What would Conor have had to do to impress you? Win the biggest upset in the history of sports? R-word.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Matt Lindland posted:

I had a lot of fun posting in the Floyd - Conor thread so I’m down let’s get the rematch

You were on fire in there and one page in particular was the funniest I’ve ever read on SA.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Fixed

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

tesilential posted:

So we agree Conor won a few rounds, it literally doesn’t matter that he won them because floyd did nothing, floyd had to do that in order to win late.

There is a reason Floyd didn’t try to just go in and knock Conor out quickly—he wasn’t physically capable of doing so and had to strategize and gameplan to beat a guy who had literally never done his sport before.

Conor got hosed up the last 3 rounds after he was gassed. As a lifelong boxing fan and 20 year mma fan I was extremely impressed with Conor’s performance. Rewatch the first round. When Floyd actually tried to throw his first punch Conor slipped it and hit him with a quick combo that made him realize he was in a real fight would have to try to win.

I was impressed with Floyd’s strength in the clinch, i had figured Conor would be way stronger but that didn’t seem to be the case.

Even though he gassed hard, I was also impressed with Conor’s cardio. He nearly went 10 rounds with the supposed best ever. Pro Boxers aren’t even allowed to fight 10 rounds until they’ve fought several 4 and 8 round fights but Conor went right in at the highest level and held his own until he gassed, long after an 0-0 fighter should have been in there. In fact, had the commission followed their own rules, the fight would have been a 4 rounder and likely looked very different. Floyd would be forced to trade early while Conor still had energy to evade and counter instead of pouring it all on when Conor was exhausted and staggering around like a drunk.

The revisionist history of Floyd let Conor win rounds keeps getting parroted by people who hate Conor and don’t understand fighting in general.

Conor did better against Floyd than DC did against Jones and Aldo did against Holloway. And those guys are legends and champions, Conor was 0-0.

The gap isn’t as big as you think. Overall mma looked really good versus boxing even tho the entire thing was setup in Boxings favor.

What would Conor have had to do to impress you? Win the biggest upset in the history of sports? R-word.

Wrong thread

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

You're dumb. Floyd clowned Conor and could have finished that fight any time he wanted after the 3rd round.

None of us hate Conor but as a lifelong boxing and 20 year MMA fan you have a pretty lovely grasp of how that fight played out.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

JaySB posted:

None of us hate Conor but as a lifelong boxing and 20 year MMA fan you have a pretty lovely grasp of how that fight played out.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

tesilential posted:

lmao

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
R-word.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
floyd is a 45 year old man

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Skip My Posts posted:

floyd is a 45 year old man

Which makes it even funnier he beat up Conor so thoroughly

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

source your quotes tesilential

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Conor did fine ya nerds

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

tesilential posted:

They're waiting for you in the test chamber, Mr. Schaub.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
tes are you opining that Floyd might have lost a 4 or 6 round fight against Conor? What do you mean Floyd "had to" not throw any punches the first few rounds so he could win late? Do you think Conor would have tired before he did if he were dodging shots from Floyd for the first three rounds? do you think that by Floyd essentially letting him take 3 rounds off his longevity in the fight was improved or hampered?

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 21, 2018

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3852154

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
sorry folks. Floyd is pursuing his mma license to fight in the UFC and Conor is the current lightweight champion. this discussion is just as germane to real ufc fights that are going to happen as khabib/TF.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
No it's not.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
UFC fighter Floyd Mayweather is an appropriate topic for the UFC thread.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

UFC April -- It's Money (Shot) Time

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

God forbid the thread that averages 10 posts a day gets sidetracked with Mayweather talk

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

tesilential posted:

until he gassed,
He did that in round 3, and by the later rounds was barely upright.

Before he gassed, he was landing about one punch in 4 or 5. And was doing nothing with them.

quote:

Actually look good. Instead of having to go to compubox to prove that he looked good.

Not gas out in round 3

Not have one of the most risk averse boxers walking him down throwing haymakers because he was in no way scared of him.

Not get finished by a guy with no finishes since 2006.

By the same token, what does the fight look like where you don't say 'he did better than expected'?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Floyd's about to become a fighter in the company and Punk's about to have his second fight. Sorry folks, this is the UFC now and you can't escape it

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spb posted:

God forbid the thread that averages 10 posts a day gets sidetracked with Mayweather talk

There's no fights between now and Khabib vs Tony so unless we want to bog down in a spirited debate over the UFC's "Best Of All Time" bracket challenge, I have no problem discussing TMT's transition

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

ah gently caress i got a finger injury from scrolling to hard

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Bearjew got a new 4 fight contract instead of getting cut

thanks, Dagestani Wrestlefucker #821, for saving my boy

also, apparently Priscilla Cachoera suffered immense brain damage after the Shevchenko fight

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 22, 2018

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
My coach, who I call Master for normal reasons, told me to shut up and refused to throw in the towel while I took the most horrendous beating seen in the octagon in recent memory because it would have been worse for me if he had. Reminder that with his selfless inaction I cried every day for three weeks and won't fight again for a year or maybe ever.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Memento posted:

No it's not.

You're right, Tony is going to die of popcorn lung and Khabib's ACL is going to come to life and flee his leg out of sheer terror, whereas Floyd vs Conor stands a much greater chance of actually happening

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

spb posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JaySB posted:

You're dumb. Floyd clowned Conor and could have finished that fight any time he wanted after the 3rd round.

Then why didn't he?

• Locked thread