Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Oh hell yes some white boy rappin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Fuckin lol at Chris "beep boop must forge relationships" *talks at Donathan for 16 minutes straight without taking a breath*

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I'm glad for the second week in a row the vote storyline is "Is Sebastian dumb enough to flip?"

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I really want to see Bradley get a knife in the back

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I'm surprised Stephanie didn't get an opportunity at a game on Ghost Island since Kellyn passed it update last episode.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It's really bizarre going into a tribal not wondering if an idol or a flip will affect the voting. I can't remember the last time a narrative was entirely "who will the power alliance decide to axe" with no other possible plotlines

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Yeah it was weird to get an episode with so little going on strategically we just got like 3-5 human interest/sob stories

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
If Bradley thinks he's playing like Boston Rob, he needs to step his game up, because Rob would've fired Michael to Loser's Lodge in a cannon after the poo poo he pulled last week.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Stephanie going is sad.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Michael says he's been watching Survivor "all his life" since he was 13 but he's only 18. That's five years, ten seasons and not even a 1/3 of Survivor.

There's something very uncanny valley about Sebastian.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

clown shoes posted:

Michael says he's been watching Survivor "all his life" since he was 13 but he's only 18. That's five years, ten seasons and not even a 1/3 of Survivor.

There's something very uncanny valley about Sebastian.

He's lying to seem older. In his confessional he said since he was 8

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Is Chris the new Spencer? Him forcing himself to relate to Donothan by talking for 20 minutes about his own life was just like when Spencer told Jeremy that he has a girlfriend and he L-words her.

Man there were a lot of waterworks this episode.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

aidoru posted:

Is Chris the new Spencer? Him forcing himself to relate to Donothan by talking for 20 minutes about his own life was just like when Spencer told Jeremy that he has a girlfriend and he L-words her.

Man there were a lot of waterworks this episode.

I think they just didn't show Donathan talking because we had just hard his story moments ago. The editors aren't going to waste time having him tell the story twice in a row, and the take they got from the confessional must have been better.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

blue squares posted:

I think they just didn't show Donathan talking because we had just hard his story moments ago. The editors aren't going to waste time having him tell the story twice in a row, and the take they got from the confessional must have been better.

The body language looked like he was just nodding and looking for a way out of the conversation while Chris droned on for hours but that might just be wishful thinking.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
That tribal went on for forever when it was not an interesting outcome.

I wanted to see more of Stephanie.

The editing this season is making everyone an interesting character (besides Jenna) and giving them all their own story, which doesn't seem to happen as intensely this early on, normally. I'm digging the production so far.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That episode was really dull. Chris was the only interesting plot point and he didn't even go to tribal.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
This episode was kinda boring, but it was pretty expected. The editors not showing one tribe at all before the immunity challenges is becoming a big flag as to who's gonna lose. Ghost Island is eating too much time.

I was convinced Jenna was going home since Michael and Steph had more time devoted to them, but there was really no reason for the majority to vote her out, since she really is no threat to them at all.

Also, tribe swap with 15 people left? Either there's a 7-8 split, a 7-7 split with someone being sent to Exile Ghost Island and coming back to the losing tribe afterwards, or it's a three-way split to 5.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 22, 2018

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Ghost Island taking up so much time for zero payoff.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also someone pointed out that everybody that's been referred to as Stephanie on the show (so not LaGrossa since she was Stephenie) has been the 5th person eliminated in their season, which is hilarious.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Two really good challenges but nothing else great tonight. Chris-bot running relatability process was fun.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Zesty posted:

That episode was really dull. Chris was the only interesting plot point and he didn't even go to tribal.

I thought they did a decent job with what they had to work with. Sometimes the tribe dynamics are just simple. I liked how they showed each of the original Malolos had their own approach to getting through and the deeper looks we got at Michael/Stephanie as people. Bummed that Steph's gone but really glad Michael survived. He's becoming my most favourite player for a fair few seasons now.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Holy poo poo Chris with the aimbot

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Can't say I'm surprised we're getting a Pagonging. Significantly higher likelihood of that happening when production keeps them at two tribes at the swap rather than splitting them into three, which has been demonstrated time and time again to be the more interesting way of going about things. My guess is that they just didn't want to add a fourth beach for financial reasons.

Bummer to see Stephanie go as she seemed like a genuinely good player.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I feel like we're losing some interesting players way too early on. Even the early boots would've been fun to see bumble through a couple more episodes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Vernacular posted:

Can't say I'm surprised we're getting a Pagonging. Significantly higher likelihood of that happening when production keeps them at two tribes at the swap rather than splitting them into three, which has been demonstrated time and time again to be the more interesting way of going about things. My guess is that they just didn't want to add a fourth beach for financial reasons.

Bummer to see Stephanie go as she seemed like a genuinely good player.

I actually don't find the split to three that interesting since it usually means either one tribe gets decimated (Angkor) or another tribe gets no focus because they never go to Tribal. The best/worst thing that comes out of a split to three is that there's another idol to find. And usually somebody gets swap screwed as a result (Roark/Ali, Sandra, etc.).

Malolo would really appreciate the swap though since they're now down 6-9. It would really stink for them if it was a three-way split and all the tribes were 3-2 Naviti, however.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
The amount of screen time that Chelsea is getting is amazing!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

The editors not showing one tribe at all before the immunity challenges is becoming a big flag as to who's gonna lose.

But this didnt happen

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I'm not going to bother going through all your post histories but I really want to know the Venn diagram of People That Were Bored with this Episode vs People That Think There are Too Many Advantages

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
What exactly is an advantage? Is it just an immunity idol with specific rules?

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

The best/worst thing that comes out of a split to three is that there's another idol to find.

No way. The social dynamics are far more interesting with the split to three. More possible permutations of alliances and conflicts of interest.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Maybe with a three way split, both losing tribes will have to send someone to Ghost Island. That way two people will not have a chance to play a game at the same time!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If there's a three way split I'm assuming they'll do a double elimination episode. They have to do two of them to make up for the two extra players, right?

I'm also assuming that the merge will come at 13, since that's the first time Dom's advantage can be used.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

clown shoes posted:

What exactly is an advantage? Is it just an immunity idol with specific rules?

"Advantage" is catchall for some kind of bonus effect whether it's an Immunity Idol, vote steal, legacy advantage, opportunity to practice a future challenge, whatever.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

blue squares posted:

But this didnt happen

Two weeks in a row Naviti took up the entire post-reward segment til the immunity challenge (well, disregarding Ghost Island). When the 'Next Time' previews show scenes from the Malolo camp that didn't appear at all by the time Immunity is on the line, it's a blaring sign that they're going to Tribal.

IcePhoenix posted:

If there's a three way split I'm assuming they'll do a double elimination episode. They have to do two of them to make up for the two extra players, right?

I'm also assuming that the merge will come at 13, since that's the first time Dom's advantage can be used.

Nah, the eliminations will still progress fine even with a three-way split. There's always an accelerated rate of tribals towards the end.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Kinda hating that division between old Malolos and old Naviti on the new Malolo tribe. I mean, not just because it's pagonging out people I liked and making for boring episodes, but I also just don't think it's very good gameplay.

Maybe vote out an original Malolo in the first vote so you all can be safe, but you should be finding people from the other tribe you like and forging new alliances here. Or at least pretend to sell them on the idea that they're with you. This is a very short-term game they're playing that'll keep them all safe in their current tribe makeup but with the risk of isolating themselves big time if the other tribe is getting along, since whoever survives your pagong is gonna badly want to flip against you.

What they're doing is better for post-merge gameplay, but in the first swap it's just not smart to draw such extremely firm lines in the sand. You have no idea what's going on at that other beach.

Lone Goat posted:

I'm surprised Stephanie didn't get an opportunity at a game on Ghost Island since Kellyn passed it update last episode.
Yeah i'd predicted they'd work that way and I guess I was completely wrong.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 22, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

Kinda hating that division between old Malolos and old Naviti on the new Malolo tribe. I mean, not just because it's pagonging out people I liked and making for boring episodes, but I also just don't think it's very good gameplay.

Maybe vote out an original Malolo in the first vote so you all can be safe, but you should be finding people from the other tribe you like and forging new alliances here. Or at least pretend to sell them on the idea that they're with you. This is a very short-term game they're playing that'll keep them all safe in their current tribe makeup but with the risk of isolating themselves big time if the other tribe is getting along, since whoever survives your pagong is gonna badly want to flip against you.

What they're doing is better for post-merge gameplay, but in the first swap it's just not smart to draw such extremely firm lines in the sand. You have no idea what's going on at that other beach.

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines. It almost feels like the Naviti five are just assuming they'll be able to team up with the Navitis from the other tribe at the merge, but you can tell that a lot of them are forming bonds with the four Malolos, so they could just easily pull in the outcasts and have a majority at merge and pagong the pagongers.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The Chris-Dom feud pretty much meant there was gonna be no lasting Naviti peace anyway. They couldn't keep it together for an alliance of 5, let alone 9.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I really hope Chris and Dom swap into opposite tribes and both make the merge. I want both of them around as much as possible. I want them on my screen all season.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really enjoyed Jeff being all "wow" twice this episode. Like, he seemed genuinely surprised and seems like he's still having a blast making the show and I enjoyed that.

I hope you enjoyed my post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sad Stephanie is gone. Liked her.

I just don't like Chris. Maybe that's projecting on me also reading into Donathan's body language. It certainly seemed like Chris was being pushy but since Donathan seemed to receive it I guess we gotta give Chris the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to editing. Its just tough to ignore the difference of the Chris/Donathan conversation and the Laurel/Donathan one. I like Laurel.

I don't know how I'm feeling about the season. Its a solid cast of characters so far but I definitely have the same "names are dropping off too early and the less interesting people seem set in." Maybe its just the mini-Pagonging and that will pass. We'll see.

Rarity posted:

I thought they did a decent job with what they had to work with. Sometimes the tribe dynamics are just simple. I liked how they showed each of the original Malolos had their own approach to getting through and the deeper looks we got at Michael/Stephanie as people. Bummed that Steph's gone but really glad Michael survived. He's becoming my most favourite player for a fair few seasons now.

Yeah, there's just no game being played on the Tribe that keeps going to Tribal. Not much you can do with that as editors. Tell some human interest stories, help us get to know everyone, and throw a little action at the small amount of game happening on the other side. The waters are just really steady right now.

I do (rarely) agree with my fellow Goat that there seems to be a "this is kinda why they throw in so many advantages and idols and tribe swaps to keep things from ever getting too settled and fatalistic." But the dream is finding that sweet spot and its just one episode so far. And early enough in the season that at least it came at a time when we could stand getting to know people a bit more.

• Locked thread